Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember the particulars of Belgium law ...would she have to be a legitimate daughter to qualify for a title?

LaRae

The general rule of the Belgian nobility is that titles are only recognized for descendants in legitimate male line, though special remainders have occasionally been granted. I am not sure of the particulars of law - as a matter of fact, there seems to be some confusion around what legislation the rule is founded on.

Ok so at this point, really all we are talking about is her *right* to use the last name of her father. Which seems to be fairly obvious that she would from what I understand.

Although if they can't decide on what basis the law is founded on perhaps, assuming she wants a title, she might have grounds eventually.

LaRae

So let me get this straight: Delphine will not be in the sucession line but she might get a title?

So let me get this straight: Delphine will not be in the sucession line but she might get a title?

In Belgium titles are usually inherited by legitimate descendants. But special reminders can be issued. For so far there is no any talk of a title as Ms Boël herself stated she was not interested in titles.

Ok so at this point, really all we are talking about is her *right* to use the last name of her father. Which seems to be fairly obvious that she would from what I understand.

Although if they can't decide on what basis the law is founded on perhaps, assuming she wants a title, she might have grounds eventually.

LaRae

I am not surprised that Mrs. Boël might petition to use the title of "Princess of Belgium" with the style of Royal Highness, as I have long believed that has been her intention from the start despite public claims to the contrary.

Keep in mind that royal titles are a separate class from titles of nobility and subject to a different set of regulations. My understanding is that Mrs. Boël's possible claim to the HRH is based on Art.2 of the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015, which reads:

Art. 2. Dans les actes publics et privés qui les concernent, les Princes et les Princesses, enfants et petits-enfants, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté le Roi Albert II portent le titre de Prince ou de Princesse de Belgique à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils les portent, de leur nom de famille et de leur titre dynastique et avant les autres titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance. Leur prénom est précédé par le prédicat Son Altesse Royale.
Note that text of the Royal Decree does not make any explicit reference to legitimacy, but rather only to the "children and grandchildren, coming from the direct descendancy of His Majesty the King Albert II." There is a catch though: the article applies specifically only to the "Princes and Princesses" who are children or grandchildren originating from King Albert II's descendancy. There is a possible interpretation that "princes and princesses" should be read here as meaning "dynasts" in the sense of "princes du sang" in the old French monarchy, which would in turn imply legitimacy. It will be a great opportunity for the Belgian courts to clarify and settle this matter once and for all.

Even if Delphine gets the HRH, she probably will not be in the line of succession as the Belgian constitution, unlike the 2015 royal decree, is pretty clear about legitimacy:

Art. 85

Les pouvoirs constitutionnels du Roi sont héréditaires dans la descendance directe, naturelle et légitime de S.M. Léopold, Georges, Chrétien, Frédéric de Saxe-Cobourg, par ordre de primogéniture.
EDIT: Just another comment, it is important to stress that Prince/Princess is a dignity in Belgium that is prefixed to the name and is not necessarily associated with the title of "Prince of Belgium", used after the name and other dynastic titles when appropriate (e.g. S.A.R la Princesse Élisabeth, Duchesse de Brabant, Princesse de Belgique). Indeed, a prince or princess may not be a "Prince / Princess of Belgium" or an HRH as is the case for example of Anna-Astrid and Maximilian. The recent royal decree on royal coats of arms also makes that distinction as there are now separate arms for the King, the emeritus King (after abdication), the Duke or Duchess of Brabant , the Princes and Princesses of Belgium who are not the Duke or Duchess of Brabant, and the princes and princesses who are not "Princes / Princesses of Belgium". As I said, I look forward to the Belgian courts finally clariying the meaning of "princes and princesses" in the royal decrees of 1891, 1991 and 2015, as that has been a very controversial issue here on TRF for quite some time.

Last edited:
She never want to be Princess , She just want to have a Father and Grandfather for her Childfen.

She never want to be Princess , She just want to have a Father and Grandfather for her Childfen.

I find it unlikely that King Albert's lawyer would mention the issue of titles if it were not an issue that is expected to come up in hearing.

She has her Painting Exhibitons now in Knokke - le Zoute . I wonder if she will sell a lot of her Provocating Paintings. She gave interviews in her gallery.

Last edited:
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...el-hija-ilegitima-alberto-de-belgica_2710112/
https://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/de...ebre-j-etais-le-linge-sale-du-roi?id=10557734

Delphine gave an interview a few days ago. (Google Translate). Understandably, she's still not entirely happy. (Aside from which, it must be awful to have this drawn out legal limbo.)

"It hurts me that people say that I have done it for money or interest. There are more important things for me."

I wonder who it was that she says asked her to move even further away than London.

Has Delphine ever made any art about her grandmother Queen Astrid? She's certainly got the right to, she wants to explore her heritage, and there's so much mutual sadness there. Mental health tends to necessitate you take breaks from what constantly hurts and infuriates you.

Unusual way to get there, goung to court&press does not get her love&emotukns which she once had, as far as it was reported Albert had a relationship with his daughter plus she had a dad Mr.Broel.

Unusual way to get there, goung to court&press does not get her love&emotukns which she once had, as far as it was reported Albert had a relationship with his daughter plus she had a dad Mr.Broel.
Mr Boel was not her "dad", he married her mother to give her a name, and there was apparnetly no relationship. Albert rejected her..

She Always had a Father and Grandfather for her children But ok.

So she has gone through this circus to get recognized. Whoopi doo. She will get money. Great. But she and the courts can’t force the RF accept her or want her near them much less love her or her kids as family.

So she has gone through this circus to get recognized. Whoopi doo. She will get money. Great. But she and the courts can’t force the RF accept her or want her near them much less love her or her kids as family.

My understanding was that Albert rejected her because he was afraid of the scandal coming out. Her mothers' husband was not a father to her..
She can't force people, true but if she wants to go through the case to get official recognition, I dont blame her.

Jonkheer Jacques Boël married Baroness Sybille de Sélys Longchamps several years before Delphine's birth and did not divorce her until Delphine was a teenager. Therefore, applying the law, he was automatically Delphine's father. Likewise, Prince (later King) Albert was automatically the father of Philippe, Astrid, and Laurent by dint of being married to their mother, and did not require a court process or DNA testing to be acknowledged.

Acknowledgement of parentage | Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs

Although Jonkheer Boël provided financial support, as acknowledged during the court case, Mrs. Boël and her lawyers have indeed described the relationship as a painful one without any fatherly affection.

They have also indeed described King Albert rejecting and cutting off contact with her a short time after their relationship was disclosed to the public.

If both King Albert II and Jonkheer Jacques Boël actually had a loving relationship with their daughter up to today, I suspect that the court case would never have arisen.

She appears just as stubborn has he does.

If money was all she wanted then she would have stuck with her step father as her legal father.

I assume she knows she's not going to be invited to family events but she appears to want to force the open acknowledgement of who her father is even if she never sees him. Possibly stemming from the fact that he cut off contact once rumours started getting out when she was a child.

It seems quite a sad and complicated case all around but I side eye Albert more. Children never ask to be born.

I assume she knows she's not going to be invited to family events but she appears to want to force the open acknowledgement of who her father is even if she never sees him. Possibly stemming from the fact that he cut off contact once rumours started getting out when she was a child.

Possibly stemming from the fact that she and her children were placed on a list with terrorists and criminals due to being "politically exposed" (Delphine was told she could be taken off if she stopped "claiming" to be the King's daughter.) Albert either was behind that or just didn't care.

Delphine and Albert had contact and some sort of an amicable relationship until she was about 31 or so.

Nobody likes to be called a liar, not by their father and not by the public.

Last edited:
Possibly stemming from the fact that she and her children were placed on a list with terrorists and criminals due to being "politically exposed" (Delphine was told she could be taken off if she stopped "claiming" to be the King's daughter.) Albert either was behind that or just didn't care.

Delphine and Albert had contact and some sort of an amicable relationship until she was about 31 or so.

Nobody likes to be called a liar, not by their father and not by the public.

31 years are a long time and I guess while the affair between der mother and Albert last, she saw him quite often.
He might be bewildered by the fact that she went to court after that long time,
might have been wiser to give her something like title"duchess of..." but maybe never offered or it's the way it looks now and she wants all. I doubt she will gain more than the public eye(good to make money and maybe she needs this affection) and if course once Albert dies she will fight for part of the heritage which I think is legal in Belgium aswell as in many countries, illegimate or not.

and if course once Albert dies she will fight for part of the heritage which I think is legal in Belgium aswell as in many countries, illegimate or not.

Yes, once she becomes the legal child of King Albert (which has not yet happened), she will be automatically entitled to part of his heritage.

Successions, gifts and wills | Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs

Belgian law attributes a set part of the inheritance (known as the reserve) to certain heirs (children, the surviving spouse and ascendants). The rest of the inheritance may be disposed of freely to the benefit of third parties. If the legacies exceed the part available, they will need to be reduced.​

In addition, King Albert publicly promised to provide for her in his testament (a translation of his comments was posted here).

Yes, once she becomes the legal child of King Albert (which has not yet happened), she will be automatically entitled to part of his heritage.

Successions, gifts and wills | Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs

Belgian law attributes a set part of the inheritance (known as the reserve) to certain heirs (children, the surviving spouse and ascendants). The rest of the inheritance may be disposed of freely to the benefit of third parties. If the legacies exceed the part available, they will need to be reduced.​

In addition, King Albert publicly promised to provide for her in his testament (a translation of his comments was posted here).

thanks, ok, I am surprised. as he declared being her father, proofed by DNA testing I thought she'd automatically have right to demand of the heritage, that's still different in Belgium-wow. but I think she would have gotten something even without the lawsuit.

thanks, ok, I am surprised. as he declared being her father, proofed by DNA testing I thought she'd automatically have right to demand of the heritage, that's still different in Belgium-wow. but I think she would have gotten something even without the lawsuit.

Without becoming his (legal) daughter and/or being provided for in his testament, I don't see other grounds on which she could claim a part of his heritage. But it is most likely an academic question, as King Albert has announced he will no longer contest the paternity suit, and she is therefore likely to be acknowledged as his daughter following the court hearing in September.

Without becoming his (legal) daughter and/or being provided for in his testament, I don't see other grounds on which she could claim a part of his heritage. But it is most likely an academic question, as King Albert has announced he will no longer contest the paternity suit, and she is therefore likely to be acknowledged as his daughter following the court hearing in September.

Is it reasonably certain the hearing won't be postponed again?

From what I remember the writer of the unauthorised biography of HM Queen Paola was only 16/18 when it was published . Perhaps his age made him unaware of the possible consequences of making public a life which all concerned had striven to keep private . Prior to this even though their relationship had become more distant father and daughter were still part of each other's lives, even though the relationship with her mother had ended , and the King had reconciled with the Queen .
Regarding their respective ages ,[ ie. their Majesties / Jhonkrow Boel and his wife , their social circle etc , I do not find HM's actions surprising , regrettable yes , but not surprising . Considering the fact that Queen Paola has always come across as as a very proud woman, to have a longstanding relationship of her husband's , including a child , splashed in headlines would have been unbearable . Personally I feel that it was she rather than Albert who was the deciding factor in the public rejection of Delphine . HM wanted to placate his wife .
One only has to look at Monaco , where Prince Albert was only able to publicly acknowledge his eldest child after his father's death to see how that generation of royals considered that there was / is a definite divide between their Public action's , and Private one's .
They simply refused to see that time's had changed , after all it is not as if their marriage troubles were not generally known . The press simply did not report them . A statement acknowledging the facts was all that was needed . Unlike HM King Badouin / HM Queen Fabiola , neither Albert or Paola were considered paragons of a Catholic marriage .
Not to acknowledge his daughter was one thing , but to take revenge on her innocent children by linking them to terrorists on a Watch List makes Albert's actions beyond the pale IMHO . I also have sympathy for Delphine's former " legal father ", although they never really had a "relationship " as such , this situation must have been humiliating played out in the court's and press as it has been .

Mr Boel was not her "dad", he married her mother to give her a name, and there was apparnetly no relationship. Albert rejected her..

That is not true. Delphine was born in the sixth year of the marriage of Messire & Madame Jacques Boël née baronne De Sélys Longchamps. That is exactly why Delphine always had a father for law, as Boël never contested his paternity and registered her as his daughter at the townhall of Uccle (near Brussels), in 1968, and had the responsibility and authority as parent until Delphine reached adulthood.

The Court case was exactly so exhausting because for Belgian law never a DNA test is required to obtain paternity. Anyone born inside a marriage and not contested, automatically is registered as a child to the parents in said marriage.

So Delphine had to end the legal paternity first, to go to step two: establishing another legal paternity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom