Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've noted before, I'm not familiar with Belgian law. However, I've gathered from other posters here that as long as Jacques Boel remained her legal father then she was entitled to a portion of his quite considerable estate at the time of his death. Is this correct? And this would be regardless of whether he was an absent father or a fabulous father, correct? So if I'm understanding it all correctly, she could have remained the legal daughter of Jacques Boel and profited substantially at the time of his eventual death and even though he knew that she was not biologically his child he allowed that to happen and continue knowing that a part of his estate would become hers. So, even though he may have been absent and non-affectionate he was presumably willing to provide her a substantial inheritance and, I assume, provided financially for her throughout childhood. Then she chose to cut ties with him and remove her legal status as his daughter in order to then publicly fight for nothing more than a very cold and distant "yes, it's my DNA" from yet another man who quite clearly had no intention of offering love and warmth and affection? It sadly appears that Ms. Boel is looking for a loving and affectionate father figure and while that's understandable, she had to have known that would not be the result of all this. I'm unfamiliar with Ms. Boel's mother and whether she is still alive but I'm curious what her reaction to all of this has been.

Sybille is alive and has given vocal support to her daughter in the past in this.

She returned to Belgium in the 90s after the death of her second husband who she married when Delphine was 14.

As for Jaques I don’t think anyone can blame him if he wasn’t a doting father figure. He is in the same shoes as Paola. Faced with a child their spouse conceived while married to them. He was her father simply as he didn’t divorce her mother for years. And if true they Albert was involved with Delphine those early years even more reason. I don’t think anyone can expect him or Paola to welcome her with open arms as family. Some people do but it’s not reasonable to just automatically expect it either.

I look at Albert of Monaco and his own disputes over paternity of his children. He has a relationship with both now. As do his children with his wife and his extended family. But they were also not conceived while Albert was married. Charlene isn’t faced with children her husband fathered while together.

Philippe and his siblings would it be nice if they reached out? Sure. Maybe not embrace her as a sister but as family of sorts. If younger I’d think they may ignore her out of loyalty to Paola. But would think as adults that would be less a concern to them. Maybe when the legal drama ends and things quiet they may reach out. I don’t expect her at public family events and such but perhaps at least opening communication.

I would be surprised too if she was taking part in any family gathering, official or not.

I would be surprised too if she was taking part in any family gathering, official or not.

In those cases, in many families, children tend to reject their half-siblings out of loyalty to their mother. I am inclined to believe Princess Astrid feels that way and will distance herself from Delphine. Prince Laurent might reach out to her though as a rebellion against his parents and his brother.

As for King Philippe, I think the situation is more delicate for him because he is the King. Many Kings in the past had illegitimate children. In fact, as late as the 19th century at least , that was very common in Europe and socially acceptable. Most often, those illegitimate children were accorded honors, titles and a place in the court. They were not rejected or treated as social outcasts. However, a clear line was drawn between them and the reigning dynasty as there was also a clear line between the Queen consort and the King’s mistresses.

The fact that Belgian law , or at least the Civil Code , now equates legal recognition of paternity to legitimization and extends to the legitimized children the same rights as those enjoyed by the children born in wedlock ( including sharing the father’s name) blurries that line.

As Tatiana Maria argued, it is unclear what effect legitimization in civil law would have on Delphine’s constitutional position , but, as King, Philippe has to take the preservation of the integrity of the dynasty into account. Once illegitimate children start to share the names and titles of their biological fathers, the whole system of hereditary nobility or even royalty is challenged and that is undesirable.

On the other hand, however, there are political constraints too as public opinion may turn favorable to Delphine , putting pressure on the King to reach out to her.

Last edited:
Do you think that the siblings will wait with establishing contact until after A&P gave died?

I completely understand what you're saying here. However, I really do have to ask, would it be nice for her to at least be able to see Albert more often? I understand the desire to know where you come from but I don't think it would be nice for her to see him more often when it's been made quite clear that he's only acknowledging her DNA makeup because he was basically forced to and that he only very begrudgingly made his statement and doesn't regard her as his child or a member of his family. I can't imagine wanting to see someone or spend time with someone who very much wishes you'd disappear and not be a thorn in his side. That doesn't seem even remotely conducive to a pleasant encounter.
I can't imagene that she expected a pleasant encounter. He could have acknowledged her years ago, It is painful to his wife perhaps but she knows about the affair... and it is in the past. I think that is all Delphine is after... after being rejected by her father, she just wants him to admit that she is his.

I don't think Delphine is still thinking of being accepted by her half-siblings more so by her father. She just wants the former King to acknowledge her as his. That's it.

I am more curious now if she's able to get a portion of the former King's fortune.

I don't think Delphine is still thinking of being accepted by her half-siblings more so by her father. She just wants the former King to acknowledge her as his. That's it.

I am more curious now if she's able to get a portion of the former King's fortune.

If she just wanted the former king to acknowledge her, which he has already done BTW, she would drop her bid to be legally recognized as his daughter in the courts. Since she did not do that, I am left with no other alternative but to conclude that , in addition to acknowledgment, she is looking for legitimization and, by extension, everything that legitimization might imply in law.

As for Jaques I don’t think anyone can blame him if he wasn’t a doting father figure. He is in the same shoes as Paola. Faced with a child their spouse conceived while married to them. He was her father simply as he didn’t divorce her mother for years. And if true they Albert was involved with Delphine those early years even more reason. I don’t think anyone can expect him or Paola to welcome her with open arms as family. Some people do but it’s not reasonable to just automatically expect it either.

Philippe and his siblings would it be nice if they reached out? Sure. Maybe not embrace her as a sister but as family of sorts. If younger I’d think they may ignore her out of loyalty to Paola. But would think as adults that would be less a concern to them. Maybe when the legal drama ends and things quiet they may reach out. I don’t expect her at public family events and such but perhaps at least opening communication.

I agree. I can't imagine why anyone would just expect either Jacques or Paola to be welcoming and warm to Delphine. However, I do think it speaks well of Jacques' character that rather than divorcing her mother during the months of her pregnancy he allowed himself to be named as the legal father and apparently accepted what came with that in the way of inheritance laws, etc. He didn't have to (although I have read that he may have done so out of a desire to keep his business contacts intact) but he did. Frankly I'm surprised at the notion that I've seen posted here that the half-siblings should welcome her with open arms. Sure it would be nice for her if they did. However, what would be nice and what is reality are not always the same things. I'd be surprised if either of the step-parents, the half-siblings, or even the begrudging father are warm, welcoming, accepting, or even cordial.

If she just wanted the former king to acknowledge her, which he has already done BTW, she would drop her bid to be legally recognized as his daughter in the courts. Since she did not do that, I am left with no other alternative but to conclude that , in addition to acknowledgment, she is looking for legitimization and, by extension, everything that legitimization might imply in law.

I tend to agree with you. However, what exactly does legitimization imply? It's my understanding that it definitely includes the right to use Albert's last name as well as entitles her to a portion of his estate upon his death. However, it's my understanding that it hasn't been clearly spelled out whether or not legitimization would include a title or a standing in the RF. Is that correct?

I tend to agree with you. However, what exactly does legitimization imply? It's my understanding that it definitely includes the right to use Albert's last name as well as entitles her to a portion of his estate upon his death. However, it's my understanding that it hasn't been clearly spelled out whether or not legitimization would include a title or a standing in the RF. Is that correct?

I can't see that it would work like that, Royal titles are dependent on legitimacy.. by birth. I think Delphine is morally entitled to her father recognising her and admitting that he's stalled and lied but she is his daughter.. and laeving her some money, but I don't see that shes entitled to be a Princess.

I can't see that it would work like that, Royal titles are dependent on legitimacy.. by birth. I think Delphine is morally entitled to her father recognising her and admitting that he's stalled and lied but she is his daughter.. and laeving her some money, but I don't see that shes entitled to be a Princess.

Well that would typically be my understanding as well, that royal titles and places in the Royal Family are dependent upon being a legitimate and born of wedlock child. However, it does seem as though there might be some question in Belgian law about the idea that if a person is legitimized then he or she would be entitled to the same titles, etc. as a child born in the marriage. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of Belgian law so I'm trying to understand if that really is a possible question on the table. I really don't think she should be able to now claim a title and name herself as a member of the Belgian Royal Family but then again, I also don't think she should be entitled to a portion of his estate just because they happen to share some DNA if he doesn't want her to have it. Is that really how Belgian law works?

Well that would typically be my understanding as well, that royal titles and places in the Royal Family are dependent upon being a legitimate and born of wedlock child. However, it does seem as though there might be some question in Belgian law about the idea that if a person is legitimized then he or she would be entitled to the same titles, etc. as a child born in the marriage. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of Belgian law so I'm trying to understand if that really is a possible question on the table. I really don't think she should be able to now claim a title and name herself as a member of the Belgian Royal Family but then again, I also don't think she should be entitled to a portion of his estate just because they happen to share some DNA if he doesn't want her to have it. Is that really how Belgian law works?
\\you don't think that a child has some rights?? what does it matter to Albert, if she inherits some of his fortune? He has other children but they are not going to go short if he leaves soemting to his daughter.

\\you don't think that a child has some rights?? what does it matter to Albert, if she inherits some of his fortune? He has other children but they are not going to go short if he leaves soemting to his daughter.

I don't think that simply sharing DNA with someone entitles you to a portion of the money and assets that the person has saved or earned throughout their life if they don't want you to have it. And I believe that's true for both extremely wealthy and privileged people like Albert and for those of us who are simply normal people doing our best to earn and save. There's a million different dynamics that can exist between biological parents and their biological children and many of those dynamics can mean that for a multitude of reasons those parents don't want their children to inherit and given that it's their money and assets, their wishes should be respected. Simply sharing DNA doesn't mean that someone owes you something and they shouldn't be forced to give it to you if they don't want to.

I don't think that simply sharing DNA with someone entitles you to a portion of the money and assets that the person has saved or earned throughout their life if they don't want you to have it. And I believe that's true for both extremely wealthy and privileged people like Albert and for those of us who are simply normal people doing our best to earn and save. There's a million different dynamics that can exist between biological parents and their biological children and many of those dynamics can mean that for a multitude of reasons those parents don't want their children to inherit and given that it's their money and assets, their wishes should be respected. Simply sharing DNA doesn't mean that someone owes you something and they shouldn't be forced to give it to you if they don't want to.

I think its pretty odd to regard fatherhood as "simply sharing DNA" nad not soemthing that has obligations and affections. If you bring a child into the world you owe it something. He has not given this poor woman much, it appears that he showed her a bit of affection as a child and wanted to marry her mother.. now he's gone cold on her. Money after he's dead, esp when he is far from poor, does not seem a terrible imposition.

I think its pretty odd to regard fatherhood as "simply sharing DNA" nad not soemthing that has obligations and affections. If you bring a child into the world you owe it something. He has not given this poor woman much, it appears that he showed her a bit of affection as a child and wanted to marry her mother.. now he's gone cold on her. Money after he's dead, esp when he is far from poor, does not seem a terrible imposition.

To each their own but I see parenthood as much more than sharing DNA. And in this case, the relationship they share appears, from the outside at least, to be nothing more than shared DNA. He's her biological parent but to me that doesn't make him her father. As sad as it is the woman doesn't really appear to have an actual father figure, simply a DNA match and a legal father that allowed her to carry his surname. And while that's very sad, it still doesn't really mean that they owe her any assets or money. At least not in my mind. And frankly, if what she's really seeking is parental love and affection, a father figure, a daddy, etc. then forcing her way into a share of his assets seems like it would be no real consolation or compensation for what she really appears to want. Money can't fix everything.

To each their own but I see parenthood as much more than sharing DNA. And in this case, the relationship they share appears, from the outside at least, to be nothing more than shared DNA. He's her biological parent but to me that doesn't make him her father. As sad as it is the woman doesn't really appear to have an actual father figure, simply a DNA match and a legal father that allowed her to carry his surname. And while that's very sad, it still doesn't really mean that they owe her any assets or money. At least not in my mind. And frankly, if what she's really seeking is parental love and affection, a father figure, a daddy, etc. then forcing her way into a share of his assets seems like it would be no real consolation or compensation for what she really appears to want. Money can't fix everything.

Precisely Parenthood IS more than Sharing DNA and Albert hasn't done anything much. He has not been a great father to his other children either it appears. The way he's acting, you'd think that Delphine forcibly brought herself into existence by stealing his DNA. He can't make up for the years of coldness and blanking her.. but a decent man would at least try to make some gesture of reparation.

I agree with you. King Albert is being unfairly persecuted by an attention seeker.

Delphine's biological parents had a relationship. These things happen. People move on. It was no secret who her biological parents were but Delphine needed to defeat King Albert in a one-to-one conflict. There is no need for this. Her parenthood was not in question. She wanted to win a personal victory by conquering the Sovereign. Delphine is generating so much hatred for no purpose other than for self-aggrandisement. I didn't think I would feel sorry for King Albert but I do because of the destructive attitude of the daughter. It is such a common scenario where a child is born from a passing relationship. But in this case the mother and child were ok. They did well and have lived a prosperous, safe, bourgeois life. So what's the big deal? Basically, Delphine just wanted to diminish a VIP to satisfy her sense of narcissism.

I agree with you. King Albert is being unfairly persecuted by an attention seeker.

Delphine's biological parents had a relationship. These things happen. People move on. It was no secret who her biological parents were but Delphine needed to defeat King Albert in a one-to-one conflict. There is no need for this. Her parenthood was not in question. She wanted to win a personal victory by conquering the Sovereign. Delphine is generating so much hatred for no purpose other than for self-aggrandisement. I didn't think I would feel sorry for King Albert but I do because of the destructive attitude of the daughter. It is such a common scenario where a child is born from a passing relationship. But in this case the mother and child were ok. They did well and have lived a prosperous, safe, bourgeois life. So what's the big deal? Basically, Delphine just wanted to diminish a VIP to satisfy her sense of narcissism.

As Denville stated "If you bring a child into the world you owe it something."

Would you sympathize with Albert if he were being prosecuted for a hit-and-run traffic accident?

Why then is he allowed the leave the scene of this "crime" and accept no responsibility for the child - another human being - that resulted from it?

Yes, Dephine's parenthood was in question. Albert refused to even acknowledge he was her biological father.

And how do you know mother and child were ok? It appears to me Delphine wasn't. To learn that the man she thought was her biological father wasn't and then to suffer rejection from the man who is must have been an emotional experience for her.

Albert is responsible for this mess. Delphine only went to court when all other attempts to contact Albert failed.

I have biological parents somewhere. I also have a mother and a father and brother which formed my family growing up. Personally, I have never given a thought to wanting to know my biological parents for any reason whatsoever. They've played no part in my life. Anyone can become a biological father or mother. It takes work, love, sacrifice, caring and discipline to be a parent. Two totally different things in my book.

While I do believe that Delphine has the right to know her genetic makeup, I also believe that knowing that someone is biologically related to her and hoping for some kind of relationship, acceptance as part of a family, status and inheritance from someone who hasn't really been involved in her life for most of her 52 years is bound to lead to disappointment.

Sure, it may be deemed that she is a lawful daughter of Albert in a court of law but the reality is that its just writing on a piece of paper and maybe gives her a bank account boost. Is it really worth it? I'm not Delphine so I can't say but I know it wouldn't be something of importance for me at all. JMO

I have biological parents somewhere. I also have a mother and a father and brother which formed my family growing up. Personally, I have never given a thought to wanting to know my biological parents for any reason whatsoever. They've played no part in my life. Anyone can become a biological father or mother. It takes work, love, sacrifice, caring and discipline to be a parent. Two totally different things in my book.

While I do believe that Delphine has the right to know her genetic makeup, I also believe that knowing that someone is biologically related to her and hoping for some kind of relationship, acceptance as part of a family, status and inheritance from someone who hasn't really been involved in her life for most of her 52 years is bound to lead to disappointment.

Sure, it may be deemed that she is a lawful daughter of Albert in a court of law but the reality is that its just writing on a piece of paper and maybe gives her a bank account boost. Is it really worth it? I'm not Delphine so I can't say but I know it wouldn't be something of importance for me at all. JMO

I agree with you but Delphine obviously did want a relationship - or at least some acknowledgement - from her biological father. But he rejected her completely - even refusing to admit he was her father. It's possible a simple acknowledgement on his part - yes, you are my child - may have been important to her for whatever emotional or psychological reasons.

While there may be an element of anger on her part at this point in time, I can't help but wonder how differently this might have played out if Albert had manned up from the start. At some point Delphine may have decided "fine, I will force you to acknowledge me if that's what it takes."

But I agree - Delphine will never enjoy a relationship with Albert or her half-siblings. But perhaps an acknowledgement was her primary goal in the first place. So that piece of paper might mean a lot to her, even if she originally hoped for more.

We'll have to wait and see how this drama plays out.

As Denville stated "If you bring a child into the world you owe it something."

Would you sympathize with Albert if he were being prosecuted for a hit-and-run traffic accident?

Why then is he allowed the leave the scene of this "crime" and accept no responsibility for the child - another human being - that resulted from it?

Yes, Dephine's parenthood was in question. Albert refused to even acknowledge he was her biological father.

And how do you know mother and child were ok? It appears to me Delphine wasn't. To learn that the man she thought was her biological father wasn't and then to suffer rejection from the man who is must have been an emotional experience for her.

Albert is responsible for this mess. Delphine only went to court when all other attempts to contact Albert failed.
What seems extraordinary to me is that apparently its Ok for Albert to somehow "unwillingly" share his DNA with his mistress, creating a child.. whom he "doesn't want to know or acknowledge"... and feels no responsibility towards. He was a a grown man. He knew what he was doing when he had an affair and they had a child.. If he had said that he "didn't want to provide any money for Delphine" when she was a baby, I cant understand how anyone could feel that was OK and that he had a right to refuse any responsibility towards his child...

I completely understand what you're saying here. However, I really do have to ask, would it be nice for her to at least be able to see Albert more often? I understand the desire to know where you come from but I don't think it would be nice for her to see him more often when it's been made quite clear that he's only acknowledging her DNA makeup because he was basically forced to and that he only very begrudgingly made his statement and doesn't regard her as his child or a member of his family. I can't imagine wanting to see someone or spend time with someone who very much wishes you'd disappear and not be a thorn in his side. That doesn't seem even remotely conducive to a pleasant encounter.

I was thinking more along the lines of that Delphine and Albert could talk out their old grudges if they met again. It's not fair on her children that they can't see their grandfather, but if Albert's presence will leave more hurt than pleasure it's probably best for them not to have much contact. After all, they have their paternal grandparents and I'm sure they have other grandfatherly/motherly figures in their lives too. Perhaps it's my own background that wishes things would be happy again for Delphine when it comes to relations with her father, but if they sat down and talked, it's not a completely out-of-the-window suggestion.

I was thinking more along the lines of that Delphine and Albert could talk out their old grudges if they met again. It's not fair on her children that they can't see their grandfather, but if Albert's presence will leave more hurt than pleasure it's probably best for them not to have much contact. After all, they have their paternal grandparents and I'm sure they have other grandfatherly/motherly figures in their lives too. Perhaps it's my own background that wishes things would be happy again for Delphine when it comes to relations with her father, but if they sat down and talked, it's not a completely out-of-the-window suggestion.

I think that ship's sailed. He really did hold out for far too long.. and it doesn't seem as if he is willig to make any move to be friendly with her....

I think that ship's sailed. He really did hold out for far too long.. and it doesn't seem as if he is willig to make any move to be friendly with her....

Albert does seem to be very stubborn about this. I'm just commenting hypothetically when I say it would be nice if they were to rekindle, but the reality looks as if they won't.

Albert does seem to be very stubborn about this. I'm just commenting hypothetically when I say it would be nice if they were to rekindle, but the reality looks as if they won't.

well precisely. I think she's hurt and angry, and probably doesn't want to sit down with him and renew their relationship any more.. but he has been exceedingly stubborn...and I don't think he wants anything to do with her..

You would think he might wish to rehabilitate his reputation... Many people, nearing the end of their lives, seek to right wrongs while there is still time.

This story could have been resolved many years ago. But King Albert was stubborn. I think he only recognized it because there was nothing more to do. I also think that she is hurt and angry.

While I certainly don't think it's likely that Delphine will ever have any sort of relationship with Albert, I don't know why anyone is convinced that she will never have a relationship with any of her half-siblings. At some point, their parents will pass away and they might feel comfortable establishing some sort of contact. Or, they might not at all. But, I think it's far from certain what will happen or how they feel about their half-sister.

You would think he might wish to rehabilitate his reputation... Many people, nearing the end of their lives, seek to right wrongs while there is still time.

If he were thinking like that, he would have recognised her withtout being forced into it.

Any credibility to reports that "Ms Boel claims that questions over her lineage led to her and her mother being put on a 'high risk' list by financial institutions, which led to Royal Bank of Scotland abruptly closing both of their bank accounts in 2012. Ms Boel was told she would have to publicly denounce claims that Albert was her father in order to have their names removed. 'I refuse to sign such a lie,' she told German newspaper Die Welt. Those difficulties prompted her to go to the courts in 2013 in an attempt to prove her biological father was Albert.The same year the legal case began, Albert abdicated for 'health reasons', passing the throne to son Philippe - Ms Boel's half-brother." This is the first time I have read this being the reason behind Delphine's legal pursuits. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rt-II-admits-father-artist-Delphine-Boel.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom