The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 02:33 PM
Courtier

If Albert was not smart or brave enough to realize he could have avoided the last 21 years by going the Mitterrand route, we end up with 85 pages, I guess.

I hope the hearing goes through in September so the conversation moves a little, and we can talk about how dare she pick this or that name.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
...she didn't take him to court after 31 years, because she couldn't. He had legal immunity.

She took him to court after 14 years of him refusing to acknowledge her as his daughter, putting her children on a terrorist watch list, and refusing to have any kind of communication with her whatsoever, including as a newly-pious Catholic through the Cardinal.

I would say Delphine had a right not to be amused. Perhaps you should read more of the other posts.
There are different opinions like in all threads.
Again she knew he was her father, makes a big difference.
has he been charged guilty for putting her children an a terrorist watch list?
I prefer to make up my mind by facts.
Hope September will bring an end to this and wish her all the best, but doubt she will find peace, it's the wrong way no matter if your father is the King or a butcher, but of course her right and ok to be challenged.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
If Albert was not smart or brave enough to realize he could have avoided the last 21 years by going the Mitterrand route, we end up with 85 pages, I guess.

I hope the hearing goes through in September so the conversation moves a little, and we can talk about how dare she pick this or that name.

As I think she will go for a title, I fear that is exactly what we will be discussing.

I don't take sides on the father x daughter dispute as it is none of my business anyway. I agree that rejecting her after she became public was not smart, but I don't condemn Albert for having had an affair and a child out of wedlock. He was in love and was going to divorce his wife; it is unfortunate, but those things happen sometimes in many marriages. Then afterwards he had a relationship with Delphine until he abruptly changed course after it became public (when of course he was already king in a complicated country where the monarchy is also in a somewhat fragile position, which is not a justification, but a circumstance of the story).

I am also surprised there is no sympathy either on this board for Paola. On the contrary, she comes across in many posts as the villain who drove Albert from his daughter.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

The Mitterrand route only works when a spouse is cooperating. Danielle Mitterrand accepted all her husband's many affairs during many decades. Donna Paola dei principi Ruffo di Calabria is another category: over her dead body, that whole Boël-person going full out in public, no way.

And this while the father in question is head of state in a highly complicated country where the monarchy is always under threat.

President Mitterrand could lift an eyebrow: Et alors?
The King of the Belgians was in no way in that position.

-------

Some magazines speculated about infidelities:

The Princesse de Liège would have had an affair with the singer Salvatore Adamo (he sang the classic tribute of love Dolce Paola) which really seems category "boulevard press". It is the same as claiming that Björn and Benny from ABBA must have slept with Silvia Sommerlath: how else could they have made Dancing Queen?

Then Princess Paola was alleged to have had an affair with ridder (knight) François-Xavier de Donnéa de Hamoir. He was the Mayor of Brussels officiating the wedding of Philippe and Mathilde. Larding media around the royal wedding with the framing "the mother of the groom meeting her secret lover". Seems category "boulevard press" too. As soon as the wedding was over, all evaporated.

And then there was a rumour about the artist Jan Fabre, with whom she created a spectacular gallery in the Royal Palace of Brussels. Seems category "boulevard press" as well: because she extensively cooperated with an artst, they surely must have slept together?

Then there was an Italian businessman, Aldo Vastapane, even rumoured to be Prince Laurent's natural father. Absolutely category "boulevard press" as anyone can see Laurent being the spitting image of Albert II on the same age.

Then there was a French aristocrat, Albert (des marquises) de Mun, who was a succesful photographer of the beau monde for Paris-Match. Absolutely category "boulevard press": purely because he was able to catch Paola's ethereal beauty, he surely must have been her lover? Pfff.

So we know nothing about an affair and about extramarital children of Queen Paola apart from rumours.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
There are different opinions like in all threads.
Again she knew he was her father, makes a big difference.
has he been charged guilty for putting her children an a terrorist watch list?
I prefer to make up my mind by facts.
Hope September will bring an end to this and wish her all the best, but doubt she will find peace, it's the wrong way no matter if your father is the King or a butcher, but of course her right and ok to be challenged.
Could he be charged guilty for it? Like Prinsara said, he had legal immunity.
Was it necessary to put them on such a list? Usually that only happens when there is a feeling or expectation of threat.
The facts are clear, they are just interpreted differently.

I don't think speaking of "the right way" is relevant in this state. It's her only way of getting acknowledgement. She has tried many times in the past to come to a private agreement with him, but nothing came of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As I think she will go for a title, I fear that is exactly what we will be discussing.

I don't take sides on the father x daughter dispute as it is none of my business anyway. I agree that rejecting her after she became public was not smart, but I don't condemn Albert for having had an affair and a child out of wedlock. He was in love and was going to divorce his wife; it is unfortunate, but those things happen sometimes in many marriages. Then afterwards he had a relationship with Delphine until he abruptly changed course after it became public (when of course he was already king in a complicated country where the monarchy is also in a somewhat fragile position, which is not a justification, but a circumstance of the story).
Second bolded and underlined part is the crux of the story: you cannot have a relationship with someone for 30 years and then turn your back on that person simply because you do not like it that your secret is out.

Quote:
I am also surprised there is no sympathy either on this board for Paola. On the contrary, she comes across in many posts as the villain who drove Albert from his daughter.
What sympathy could be had for her then?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post

What sympathy could be had for her (Paola) then?

Don't people normally have sympathy for legitimate wives when their husbands cheat on them?
Old 08-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Don't people normally have sympathy for legitimate wives when their husbands cheat on them?
Yes, but Paola had her own affairs in response and Laurent's legitimacy was questioned for years because of it. (Fortunately, he also looks like Albert and I believe it got quietly resolved with DNA.)

Perhaps because she'd been so close to being in a Delphine-type situation herself, she apparently demanded Albert not recognize her when to him, initially, it was less of a big deal.

Maybe. We don't know; that's just the most common version of events. No one has an alternate version where Paola is not involved.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes, but Paola had her own affairs in response and Laurent's legitimacy was questioned for years because of it. (Fortunately, he also looks like Albert and I believe it got quietly resolved with DNA.)

Perhaps because she'd been so close to being in a Delphine-type situation herself, she apparently demanded Albert not recognize her when to him, initially, it was less of a big deal.

Maybe. We don't know; that's just the most common version of events. No one has an alternate version where Paola is not involved.
I think its possible to have some sympathy for her, but for her to demand that her husband cuts off relations witht his daughter, isnt fair.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Courtier

I do feel sympathy for Paola for her husband cheating on her, having a long term affair and fathering a child whilst married to her, that can't be at all easy to deal with, even if you accepted some straying. However that doesn't mean Delphine should be treated as a dirty little secret and suddenly cut off when her existence became public knowledge and she seems to have been a big part of the behind the scenes.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

There has never been any substance delivered to names dropped of gentlemen alleged to have slept with Princess Paola. Even Belgian ministers (a particularly unappetising looking species) seem to have slept with the ravissante beauty, once Europe's most beautiful princess, if we have to believe the rumours. Yeah, sure. And no, Paola was not at all furtherer endangering the besieged Belgian monarchy, by sleeping around with politicians, under the eye of her strict brother-in-law King Baudouin. Yeah, sure.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There has never been any substance delivered to names dropped of gentlemen alleged to have slept with Princess Paola. Even Belgian ministers (a particularly unappetising looking species) seem to have slept with the ravissante beauty, once Europe's most beautiful princess, if we have to believe the rumours. Yeah, sure. And no, Paola was not at all furtherer endangering the besieged Belgian monarchy, by sleeping around with politicians, under the eye of her strict brother-in-law King Baudouin. Yeah, sure.
Thanks.
seems to be a higly emotional issue to some here or some being too closely connected to that poor girl.
Delphine can do now wrong, Sybille a saint,
but Albert the devil himself and Paola even worse,
because he committed adultery while being married to her.
as soon as he did, she tried to catch up and
took any male surrounding her to her bedroom.
Ok
Old 08-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Courtier

If Paola was so perfectly chaste and locked up by her brother-in-law and it was all rumor, why did Laurent take a DNA test?
Old 08-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If Paola was so perfectly chaste and locked up by her brother-in-law and it was all rumor, why did Laurent take a DNA test?
Prince Laurent never did a DNA test. He even refused to do one in the case Boël because he had the wish not to be dragged into it. Link: https://www.dhnet.be/buzz/le-prince-...708a6d4d57167e

The Belgian journalist Frédéric Deborsu (RTBf), known from his controversial reportages, once claimed King Albert did a DNA-test to calm down a Laurent upset by media. (The alleged DNA-test proved Albert was his father). That is the only statement once and no one can check it as Frédéric Deborsu himself refused to explain any syllabe on it.

The same Frédéric Deborsu claimed that the marriage of Philippe and Mathilde was enforced and loveless. Prince Philippe would have been in love with Thomas de Marchant et d'Ansembourg (a Belgian lawyer from the Dutch comital family). That sort of clickbaits and warm muffins to boost book selling ratings. The statement on his marriage however caused a rare communiqué from Philippe to stress his happy family life. The count also directed the alleged love affair to Fairytale Land and stressed his happy marriage, blessed with three lovely demoiselles.

This is specimen of how unsubstantiated claims live an own life on the internet.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I do feel sympathy for Paola for her husband cheating on her, having a long term affair and fathering a child whilst married to her, that can't be at all easy to deal with, even if you accepted some straying. However that doesn't mean Delphine should be treated as a dirty little secret and suddenly cut off when her existence became public knowledge and she seems to have been a big part of the behind the scenes.

But how do you and others know Paola told Albert to cut D. off?
As long as it is just rumours, well.
It seems that the heat, summerbreak and COVID has caused a lot of free time to some and speculations go wild.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Commoner

After all Albert's behaviour seems a bit bizarre, I mean refusing the DNA testing .
We so not know why he dropped her, what if she blackmailed him and then he decided to cut her off? some here seem to be ready to expect the worst only for Albert.
I don't even know it it's true her children's names were on a list and I do not automatically blame Albert if so. People happen to find themselves on lists because they googled "bombing" and teenagers do such things. how old are her children btw?
he had a relationship with her and had the best advisors, I suppose, so why act that unlogical and bizzare though him being the father had never been a secret between those involved?
something very strong happened could be an answer and it's true Mme Boel wants attention and maybe name&heritage, I can't see other motivation, as she knew who her father is. many years passed by, having a good relationship, then what ?, being cut off, ......? then forcing him for DNA testing?
to me it's puzzling,better to focus on the proofed facts IMO and so far, she is going for more,
we'll see.
Albert not commenting does not proof her accusations but to me is simply a matter of education, when E2. does not complain/explain everybody praises her, some here declare Albert guilty for the same behaviour, it's unwise and unfair but I understand it's other opinions and highly emotional to some and some can simply not be objective, it' ok
but please understand I am and some others aswell. Thank you.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
in love with Thomas de Marchant et d'Ansembourg (a Belgian lawyer from the Dutch comital family).

This is specimen of how unsubstantiated claims live an own life on the internet.

Wasn't there a Count Jan Mark Vladimir Anton de Marchant et d'Ansembourg who was the Dutch ambassador to Spain? I was once doing some research on Spanish royal decrees awarding the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and came across that family name in connection with a state visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivat View Post
After all Albert's behaviour seems a bit bizarre, I mean refusing the DNA testing .
We so not know why he dropped her, what if she blackmailed him and then he decided to cut her off? some here seem to be ready to expect the worst only for Albert.

It is indeed bizarre that he cut Delphine off after having a 30-year relationship with her. The simplest explanation is that he had an arrangement to keep in touch with his "other family" as long as it was a private affair and, if it became public, he would deny it. Of course it is wrong (especially by today's standards), but it was not that uncommon among the upper class (the world Albert was born into and lived in) to have that sort of arrangement regarding illegitimate children. And, since Albert was king at the time Delphine became public, he may have thought keeping in touch with her or acknowledging her publicly would endanger the Crown although, in hindsight, not doing it probably was far more harmful to his reputation personally (the Crown itself was protected by the abdication and Philippe taking over).

However, I am sure Paola was also involved and demanded that Albert cut off any ties with Delphine and her mother after the news of the affair and the out-of-wedlock child broke out. I mean, her personality suggests she would react like that.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Note that Delphine’s mother in a television interview surprisingly claimed she did not think it was Paola who made Albert cut ties with Delphine. Although the baroness did not hide her disdain of Paola - who she clearly considered a vain & bad tempered airhead - she did not think Paola was behind the refusal. In her view it might have been pressure from people in the Belgian catholic church who convinced Albert it would be inappropriate for a king to be seen with an illegitimate child. It makes some sense; if Paola were the obstacle wouldn't contact have been broken off much earlier; right after the couple had reconsiliated in the 80-ties?
Old 08-20-2020, 02:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Note that Delphine’s mother in a television interview surprisingly claimed she did not think it was Paola who made Albert cut ties with Delphine. Although the baroness did not hide her disdain of Paola - who she clearly considered a vain & bad tempered airhead - she did not think Paola was behind the refusal. In her view it might have been pressure from people in the Belgian catholic church who convinced Albert it would be inappropriate for a king to be seen with an illegitimate child. It makes some sense; if Paola were the obstacle wouldn't contact have been broken off much earlier; right after the couple had reconsiliated in the 80-ties?
Thank you for sharing.
A woman who cheated for several years and decided to have a secret child with somebody likely to be king one day and then was to me considers all but reliable and of course she'd describe Paola negatively and put the blame on him, now that the adultery is over and public.
and what else can RC church say as it was clearly adultery, nothing more is proofed.
and yes, if Paola had been the secret force it has happened earlier, I agree with you. the humilation is the adultery not the innocent child, though today I understand if the family distanced itself from Boel.
Imagine it happened in your family, nobody wants to be through something like this and a stranger (suppose to the rest of the RF D.is) intruding your family.
She should get her legally right and heritage and surname, anything else is unlikely to happen and if would be a sign of great maturity and forgiveness by the RF.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Wasn't there a Count Jan Mark Vladimir Anton de Marchant et d'Ansembourg who was the Dutch ambassador to Spain? I was once doing some research on Spanish royal decrees awarding the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and came across that family name in connection with a state visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the Netherlands.

Yes indeed, he was one of the few Dutch Ambassadors still wearing a traditional ambassadorial costume of office with all the gold galon, a sword et al.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
What sympathy could be had for her then?
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but Paola had her own affairs in response and Laurent's legitimacy was questioned for years because of it.
Still, her subsequent response does not alter the preceding actions of then-Prince Albert.

Even if Prince Laurent had hypothetically been the biological son of another man, his legitimacy as Albert's son would not be in question as there was no question of the legal validity of Prince Albert and Princess Paola's marriage at the time of Laurent's birth and none of the parties had initiated a contestation of paternity in court.

Quote:
She took him to court after 14 years of him refusing to acknowledge her as his daughter, putting her children on a terrorist watch list, [...]
But even on Mrs. Boël's own account, it was a bank's list of "politically exposed" persons, not a terrorist watch list.

Closed Thread

Tags
delphine boël, illegitimate children, king albert ii