Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

... contact with you !
Old 08-13-2020, 08:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Well she got what she wanted, she is officially Albert' s daughter, she will inherit a lot of money when he's gone but affection and contacts are not likely to appear the way she got these results.... You cannot force someone to like you and have
They weren't likely in any other way either. Albert had completely abandoned her and let her fence for herself after having a relationship with her for the first 30 years of her life - a life that he and her mother were responsible for in the first place. Delphine didn't choose to be born as his illegitimate daughter...
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

You can force them to recognize you exist. Which is what the last 20 years have been about.

I still hold out some hope Philippe and Mathilde will be nice to her when this is done.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well she got what she wanted, she is officially Albert' s daughter,
Not yet. The court hearing at which she will petition for legal recognition is currently scheduled for September 10.

Quote:
she will inherit a lot of money when he's gone
But almost certainly less than she would have inherited as the only child of Jacques BoŽl, who reportedly has one of the largest fortunes in Belgium.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well she got what she wanted, she is officially Albert' s daughter, she will inherit a lot of money when he's gone but affection and contacts are not likely to appear the way she got these results.... You cannot force someone to like you and have
Delphine herself acknowledged that King Albert II would minimize the inheritance as much as possible. For an example by giving "with warm hand" (= by life) swathes of his private fortune to Queen Paola and to his children, as long Delphine is not his legal daughter.

Was it about money, jonkvrouw Delphine BoŽl simply should have remained a private person and beneficiary of the BoŽl fortune.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 AM
Member - in Memoriam

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In a way, I can understand why this isn't about money or even titles and inheritances. Its about being able to feel as if one is actually somebody rather than a "second thought" or 'inconsequential result" or even being "lesser" than some other people.

Growing up with the knowledge that as a human being, you weren't worth keeping is something every little kid that's been adopted lives with. Even with the happiest of childhoods and the very best in loving adopted parents, there's that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach and keeps reminding you that "you weren't wanted". It affects each one of us differently. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all and I have no inclination to know or find any "blood" relation that may be out there. Its not so for Delphine and how she feels is valid.

I just hope that by end of all this, that sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach can and does go away and she feels she's accomplished what she's set out to do.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

But having him forced to recognize her doesn't make her any less a second thought, or inconsequential to Albert. It just makes it public.

What does she really gain? Not a relationship with the man. If he chose not to have a part of her life for how many years, this court case wont help. And likely wont help her have any relationship with her half-siblings. I doubt they didn't know their father was her dad and this was news.

Money? As pointed out she would have far more if she kept to the man who gave her his name from the start. He was far richer.

A place in succession? She may gain the right to a last name, but not a title or place in succession. Whether she is legally recognized or not after September, that doesn't change the fact that she is not born in wedlock, even more then that, born during her father's marriage to another woman. These aren't the days when Henry VIII gave titles to his natural children, and even then he had to give them titles, they didn't get automatic ones.

Honestly its more like a 'well you want to deny me, I'll show you' moment. I hope in the end she feels like she actually gained something from it.

Just for comparison Jacques Boel comes from the 16th wealthiest family in Belgium and is said to be worth around a billion. Albert doesn't even come close, and he has other children.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
A minor detail, but my understanding is that, as is usual, the verdict won't be issued at the hearing itself but some days or weeks afterwards (I cannot remember the usual length of time).

I agree that Delphine is virtually sure to "win" the case since Albert's attorneys have been instructed to no longer mount a defense.

And *that* is, in my opinion, Delphine's point. Biologically and legally his daughter. That's it.
Unless I have missed something, she has not stated that she wants a relationship with him. She just wants her roots officially confirmed.
Which is totally understandable to me.

It amazes me that some people apparently think that, since Jacques BoŽl is so mega-rich, that should have made up for a lot in her life and that she should have settled for that. Money can't buy everything in the world.

Is it so difficult to believe that all she wants is to be validated as King Albert's daughter? She *is* his daughter, so I see no reason for her not to fight for that.

"But her stepfather is mega-rich, richer than her biological father" - maybe, just maybe, Delphine doesn't care all too much about the finances? She doesn't strike me as a money-grabber, she just wants (legal) justice. She already has the biological justice.

And I hope for her that she is close to achieving that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Delphine herself acknowledged that King Albert II would minimize the inheritance as much as possible. For an example by giving "with warm hand" (= by life) swathes of his private fortune to Queen Paola and to his children, as long Delphine is not his legal daughter.

Was it about money, jonkvrouw Delphine BoŽl simply should have remained a private person and beneficiary of the BoŽl fortune.
I think, considering the lengths she went to, it may be safe to conclude that it was *not* about money. She doesn't want to be Jacques BoŽl's daughter, she wants to be King Albert's daughter - as she is. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In a way, I can understand why this isn't about money or even titles and inheritances. Its about being able to feel as if one is actually somebody rather than a "second thought" or 'inconsequential result" or even being "lesser" than some other people.

Growing up with the knowledge that as a human being, you weren't worth keeping is something every little kid that's been adopted lives with. Even with the happiest of childhoods and the very best in loving adopted parents, there's that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach and keeps reminding you that "you weren't wanted". It affects each one of us differently. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all and I have no inclination to know or find any "blood" relation that may be out there. Its not so for Delphine and how she feels is valid.

I just hope that by end of all this, that sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach can and does go away and she feels she's accomplished what she's set out to do.
I think I more or less agree with this. It looked like King Albert tried to erase that part of his life, bit difficult when there is visible evidence for it. And I do believe that Queen Paola was the main factor behind it. But that's done now - it's out in the open and now only the legal part is left.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
It amazes me that some people apparently think that, since Jacques BoŽl is so mega-rich, that should have made up for a lot in her life and that she should have settled for that. Money can't buy everything in the world.

[...]

"But her stepfather is mega-rich, richer than her biological father" - maybe, just maybe, Delphine doesn't care all too much about the finances? She doesn't strike me as a money-grabber, she just wants (legal) justice. She already has the biological justice.
I believe that was the point other posters were making by highlighting Jacques BoŽl's wealth: that Delphine BoŽl has nothing to gain financially from her court cases and is therefore most likely not motivated by financial expectations.

On a side note, Jacques BoŽl was never her stepfather. He was married to her mother at the time of Delphine's birth, and by virtue of that was automatically her father from birth until his legal paternity was annulled by the Brussels Court of Appeals in 2019. Since that ruling, he is no legal relation to her whatsoever, as he is long divorced from her mother.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

I am not very knowledgeable about continental civil law, but doesn't any gift in life have to be reduced to comply with the equal shares of all the legal heirs under the civil code?

As far as the BoŽl's fortune is concerned, I believe Delphine was led to believe she will become a princess of Belgium and that might be more important to her than the money. I know other posters disagree that the title is her main motivation, but I am confident the September hearing will prove my point.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I believe that was the point other posters were making by highlighting Jacques BoŽl's wealth: that Delphine BoŽl has nothing to gain financially from her court cases and is therefore most likely not motivated by financial expectations.

On a side note, Jacques BoŽl was never her stepfather. He was married to her mother at the time of Delphine's birth, and by virtue of that was automatically her father from birth until his legal paternity was annulled by the Brussels Court of Appeals in 2019. Since that ruling, he is no legal relation to her whatsoever, as he is long divorced from her mother.
No I don't think she is interested in the money side of things. There's not a good outcome from this but that's due to Albert, not to Delphine. I think she's hurt that Alb rejected her, which is almost worse than never taking any interest in her... and she just wants a legal recognition. She's not going to be a Princess or in the succession but she wants to be known as his legal child..
Old 08-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has Delphine any sort of relationship with the King,Archduchess Astrid or Prince Laurent?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Has Delphine any sort of relationship with the King,Archduchess Astrid or Prince Laurent?
I should nt think so. She hasn't had any contact with Albert for years and he is her fahter...I dont think she'd have any contact (or even want it) with her half siblings..
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

Laurent is rumored to be sympathetic to Delphine. I doubt she has any chance with Astrid, who is very close to Paola and seemingly Paola's favorite among her children.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
And *that* is, in my opinion, Delphine's point. Biologically and legally his daughter. That's it.
Unless I have missed something, she has not stated that she wants a relationship with him. She just wants her roots officially confirmed.
Which is totally understandable to me.

Is it so difficult to believe that all she wants is to be validated as King Albert's daughter? She *is* his daughter, so I see no reason for her not to fight for that.

And I hope for her that she is close to achieving that.

I think, considering the lengths she went to, it may be safe to conclude that it was *not* about money. She doesn't want to be Jacques BoŽl's daughter, she wants to be King Albert's daughter - as she is. Period.

I think I more or less agree with this. It looked like King Albert tried to erase that part of his life, bit difficult when there is visible evidence for it. And I do believe that Queen Paola was the main factor behind it. But that's done now - it's out in the open and now only the legal part is left.
I think it is most understandably if Paola tried to avoid this or if Albert did so because of her (do not know what you want to say), as no woman and married wife would like the fact that the husband and father of your children had an affair.
And for the children aswell, it is hard to understand and accept no matter what age you are when your parents face such difficulties. we do not know if the family had open discussions maybe for years going by.
Why Albert let this happen instead of finding a discreet solution or if it was Delphine who wanted this media attention, last seems more likeable.
Especially as her mother had to undergo all this aswell, though nowadays comitting adultery seems to be acceptable to many, did she not feel embarrassed at all? ??
Maybe D gets her surname and money and hopefully calms down. I do not believe she wanted anything else her behaviour is far from being logical.
She lost the relationship to Albert and I doubt new relations will grow from now on , though at least Mathilde would have the mental greatness ,who would welcome an elephant into a China Shop! it makes no sense at all.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

My understanding was that Q paola had relationships hersefl.. Am i right in thinking that?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am not very knowledgeable about continental civil law, but doesn't any gift in life have to be reduced to comply with the equal shares of all the legal heirs under the civil code?

As far as the BoŽl's fortune is concerned, I believe Delphine was led to believe she will become a princess of Belgium and that might be more important to her than the money. I know other posters disagree that the title is her main motivation, but I am confident the September hearing will prove my point.
Delphine is still not Albert's legal daughter. She will be one of the beneficiaries from his estate once there is a legal paternity. All what was owned and given to others before the legal paternity is no longer part of Albert's estate.

Anyone can give what anyone wants to anyone he/she wishes and at any moment. There are various "fiscal friendly" arrangements for "giving with warm hand".

King Albert can donate "free from rights", he can donate a (own) house, he can scrap loans or mortgages he gave to others, he can also grant a mortgage or a loan free from rent, to be paid back in 30 years or so (and then has passed away and the debt is relieved), he can donate grants to each grandchild for their education, he can, with a notarial act, grant a fortune to Queen Paola. All by life and so minimize what can be given "with cold hands".
Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

You are right about that, I used the wrong word. He was her legal father. Brain meltdown due to heat and autism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Where did you read that she was led to believe that she will become Princess of Belgium? Do you have a source?

@Helen.CH: Queen Paola is reported to be a true Italian fury: if something is not as she wants, everyone must know. That can be tiring. It may very well be possible that her husband was tired of it as well. He was not away from home for so long for nothing in those years with very obvious consequence.
I have also read that she did not feel at home in Belgium and that she often went back to Italy - they grew apart and each did their own thing.

FF to today: I feel for Delphine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I should nt think so. She hasn't had any contact with Albert for years and he is her fahter...I dont think she'd have any contact (or even want it) with her half siblings..
I don't think so either - he cut her off once she was outed and has ignored her ever since. I think that's where her battle originated.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I'm not sure there is anything to lose. The hearing is to recognize Albert as her legal father. She doesn't have a legal father at the moment and he's already been recognized as her biological one and said he won't contest anything. Which would make this more of a formality.

Once he is her legal father, she can change her name. Perhaps it's been hammered out behind the scenes all these months. Assuming Albert lives through this hearing, his daughter will have gotten a lot of what she hoped for.
I can confirm as someone in a similar parental situation that having your father recognise your existence is satisfying enough.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
I think it is most understandably if Paola tried to avoid this or if Albert did so because of her (do not know what you want to say), as no woman and married wife would like the fact that the husband and father of your children had an affair.
The theory I've heard mostly is that it is indeed Paola that asked Albert to completely give up on Delphine when it was outed that she was his daughter.

Quote:
And for the children aswell, it is hard to understand and accept no matter what age you are when your parents face such difficulties. we do not know if the family had open discussions maybe for years going by.
They surely know that their parents had had a problematic relationship and I wouldn't be surprised if they knew about Delphine all along.

Quote:
Why Albert let this happen instead of finding a discreet solution or if it was Delphine who wanted this media attention, last seems more likeable.
Especially as her mother had to undergo all this aswell, though nowadays comitting adultery seems to be acceptable to many, did she not feel embarrassed at all? ??
Good question. Had Albert just acknowledged her when it became known, it would not have dragged on this long and be in the media so much. Because he didn't and Delphine and her family members experienced the negative consequences of being his alleged daughter, she decided to fight for her rights.

Quote:
Maybe D gets her surname and money and hopefully calms down. I do not believe she wanted anything else her behaviour is far from being logical.
She lost the relationship to Albert and I doubt new relations will grow from now on , though at least Mathilde would have the mental greatness ,who would welcome an elephant into a China Shop! it makes no sense at all.
It wasn't for the money, as she lost an enormous amount of money by formally giving up her ties to her richer former-official-father. So, she might have wanted the 'name' but money cannot have been the motive.

She didn't loose a relationship with Albert by asking him to acknowledge what he knew to be true. She lost his relationship with him 20 years ago when he suddenly decided to break off any contact because it had become public knowledge (instead of a public secret).
Closed Thread

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii