The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Mr Boel was not her "dad", he married her mother to give her a name, and there was apparnetly no relationship. Albert rejected her..
i have different information.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen.CH View Post
i have different information.
Indeed, he was already married to Delphine's mother at the time of Delphine's birth, or he would not automatically have been her legal father.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Possibly stemming from the fact that she and her children were placed on a list with terrorists and criminals due to being "politically exposed" (Delphine was told she could be taken off if she stopped "claiming" to be the King's daughter.) Albert either was behind that or just didn't care.

Delphine and Albert had contact and some sort of an amicable relationship until she was about 31 or so.

Nobody likes to be called a liar, not by their father and not by the public.
31 years are a long time and I guess while the affair between der mother and Albert last, she saw him quite often.
He might be bewildered by the fact that she went to court after that long time,
might have been wiser to give her something like title"duchess of..." but maybe never offered or it's the way it looks now and she wants all. I doubt she will gain more than the public eye(good to make money and maybe she needs this affection) and if course once Albert dies she will fight for part of the heritage which I think is legal in Belgium aswell as in many countries, illegimate or not.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
and if course once Albert dies she will fight for part of the heritage which I think is legal in Belgium aswell as in many countries, illegimate or not.
Yes, once she becomes the legal child of King Albert (which has not yet happened), she will be automatically entitled to part of his heritage.

Successions, gifts and wills | Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs
Belgian law attributes a set part of the inheritance (known as the reserve) to certain heirs (children, the surviving spouse and ascendants). The rest of the inheritance may be disposed of freely to the benefit of third parties. If the legacies exceed the part available, they will need to be reduced.

In addition, King Albert publicly promised to provide for her in his testament (a translation of his comments was posted here).
Old 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Yes, once she becomes the legal child of King Albert (which has not yet happened), she will be automatically entitled to part of his heritage.

Successions, gifts and wills | Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs
Belgian law attributes a set part of the inheritance (known as the reserve) to certain heirs (children, the surviving spouse and ascendants). The rest of the inheritance may be disposed of freely to the benefit of third parties. If the legacies exceed the part available, they will need to be reduced.

In addition, King Albert publicly promised to provide for her in his testament (a translation of his comments was posted here).
thanks, ok, I am surprised. as he declared being her father, proofed by DNA testing I thought she'd automatically have right to demand of the heritage, that's still different in Belgium-wow. but I think she would have gotten something even without the lawsuit.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
thanks, ok, I am surprised. as he declared being her father, proofed by DNA testing I thought she'd automatically have right to demand of the heritage, that's still different in Belgium-wow. but I think she would have gotten something even without the lawsuit.
Without becoming his (legal) daughter and/or being provided for in his testament, I don't see other grounds on which she could claim a part of his heritage. But it is most likely an academic question, as King Albert has announced he will no longer contest the paternity suit, and she is therefore likely to be acknowledged as his daughter following the court hearing in September.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Without becoming his (legal) daughter and/or being provided for in his testament, I don't see other grounds on which she could claim a part of his heritage. But it is most likely an academic question, as King Albert has announced he will no longer contest the paternity suit, and she is therefore likely to be acknowledged as his daughter following the court hearing in September.
Is it reasonably certain the hearing won't be postponed again?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Is it reasonably certain the hearing won't be postponed again?
I was wondering myself. COVID-19 cases are on the increase in Belgium, and governments have been taking more measures.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Aristocracy

From what I remember the writer of the unauthorised biography of HM Queen Paola was only 16/18 when it was published . Perhaps his age made him unaware of the possible consequences of making public a life which all concerned had striven to keep private . Prior to this even though their relationship had become more distant father and daughter were still part of each other's lives, even though the relationship with her mother had ended , and the King had reconciled with the Queen .
Regarding their respective ages ,[ ie. their Majesties / Jhonkrow Boel and his wife , their social circle etc , I do not find HM's actions surprising , regrettable yes , but not surprising . Considering the fact that Queen Paola has always come across as as a very proud woman, to have a longstanding relationship of her husband's , including a child , splashed in headlines would have been unbearable . Personally I feel that it was she rather than Albert who was the deciding factor in the public rejection of Delphine . HM wanted to placate his wife .
One only has to look at Monaco , where Prince Albert was only able to publicly acknowledge his eldest child after his father's death to see how that generation of royals considered that there was / is a definite divide between their Public action's , and Private one's .
They simply refused to see that time's had changed , after all it is not as if their marriage troubles were not generally known . The press simply did not report them . A statement acknowledging the facts was all that was needed . Unlike HM King Badouin / HM Queen Fabiola , neither Albert or Paola were considered paragons of a Catholic marriage .
Not to acknowledge his daughter was one thing , but to take revenge on her innocent children by linking them to terrorists on a Watch List makes Albert's actions beyond the pale IMHO . I also have sympathy for Delphine's former " legal father ", although they never really had a "relationship " as such , this situation must have been humiliating played out in the court's and press as it has been .
Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Mr Boel was not her "dad", he married her mother to give her a name, and there was apparnetly no relationship. Albert rejected her..
That is not true. Delphine was born in the sixth year of the marriage of Messire & Madame Jacques BoŽl nťe baronne De Sťlys Longchamps. That is exactly why Delphine always had a father for law, as BoŽl never contested his paternity and registered her as his daughter at the townhall of Uccle (near Brussels), in 1968, and had the responsibility and authority as parent until Delphine reached adulthood.

The Court case was exactly so exhausting because for Belgian law never a DNA test is required to obtain paternity. Anyone born inside a marriage and not contested, automatically is registered as a child to the parents in said marriage.

So Delphine had to end the legal paternity first, to go to step two: establishing another legal paternity.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

I should also say that I have total sympathy with Delphine , she only appears to have considered legal action when she failed to get protection for her beloved mother from the press .
Old 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabaunty View Post
From what I remember the writer of the unauthorised biography of HM Queen Paola was only 16/18 when it was published . Perhaps his age made him unaware of the possible consequences of making public a life which all concerned had striven to keep private.
Mario Daneels is not exactly to blame. He published one sentence about "an unacknowledged daughter of Albert's" in an unauthorized biography of Paola, a fact that wasn't revelatory (although he was shocked) precisely because so many people told it to him.

The fact that the press were able to locate Delphine and Baroness Sybille so shortly and easily afterwards suggests it wasn't a very well-kept secret.

I'm not sure if that was the first time it had ever appeared in any kind of print, but for some reason it became a spark to decades of gunpowder.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Like other countries on the Continent, Belgium follows the Code Napolťon, which limits the freedom of inheritance to protect the surviving spouse and eventual children.

In case of no any testament, which is most unlikely in Albert's case, the law provides a part to each child, and the widow half plus a child's part.

This would mean
Philippe 1/9 th child part
Astrid 1/9 th child part
Laurent 1/9 th child part
Delphine 1/9 th child part
Paola 5/9 th child parts (= half plus one child part)

The part of Paola is "delayed inheritance" for the children. By arranging it this way, the Code Napolťon thought it would provide the surviving spouse at least a house and this will keep value as this is still the inheritance for the children but "delayed" for the lifetime of the surviving spouse.

As King Albert has by no any means the financial wealth of Jacques BoŽl (Albert's own father's watered down inheritance was shared with five other siblings and Princess Lilian), Delphine most likely was not interested in money.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

My apologies if I seemed to place any blame on Mr Daneels , indeed I did not wish to do so . As I said their marital woes were known , just not greatly publicised .
It only takes one spark , lit at the right time to create a wildfire especially in the press . In the UK there is a season called , " the silly season " in which any story however small is given maximum publicity . One only has to look at the acres of newsprint devoted to the minutest details in the Scobie / Durand biography [?]
Old 08-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Like other countries on the Continent, Belgium follows the Code Napolťon, which limits the freedom of inheritance to protect the surviving spouse and eventual children.

In case of no any testament, which is most unlikely in Albert's case, the law provides a part to each child, and the widow half plus a child's part.

This would mean
Philippe 1/9 th child part
Astrid 1/9 th child part
Laurent 1/9 th child part
Delphine 1/9 th child part
Paola 5/9 th child parts (= half plus one child part)

The part of Paola is "delayed inheritance" for the children. By arranging it this way, the Code Napolťon thought it would provide the surviving spouse at least a house and this will keep value as this is still the inheritance for the children but "delayed" for the lifetime of the surviving spouse.

As King Albert has by no any means the financial wealth of Jacques BoŽl (Albert's own father's watered down inheritance was shared with five other siblings and Princess Lilian), Delphine most likely was not interested in money.
ok, there are different informations about this here. thank you for your suggestion.
I think it would only be fair if she got something though I do not appreciate what she is doing.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
She appears just as stubborn has he does.

If money was all she wanted then she would have stuck with her step father as her legal father.

I assume she knows she's not going to be invited to family events but she appears to want to force the open acknowledgement of who her father is even if she never sees him. Possibly stemming from the fact that he cut off contact once rumours started getting out when she was a child.

It seems quite a sad and complicated case all around but I side eye Albert more. Children never ask to be born.

She will obviously go for a share of Albert's inheritance, which she is entitled to anyway if the courts declare Albert to be her legal father. But it is clear to me now that she seeks more than money: she wants a title and memberhsip of the RF, after denying it in the past. I hope the courts turn her down.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Why is it that ordinary, non-royal ‘absentee’ fathers are so roundly admonished for their neglect and irresponsibility, but a King is allowed to do so and his child is criticized?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Why is it that ordinary, non-royal Ďabsenteeí fathers are so roundly admonished for their neglect and irresponsibility, but a King is allowed to do so and his child is criticized?
It is strange. Anyone would think that Delphine had stolen her father's DNA and brougth herself into life.. and that he had had no part in procreating her at all.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
She will obviously go for a share of Albert's inheritance, which she is entitled to anyway if the courts declare Albert to be her legal father. But it is clear to me now that she seeks more than money: she wants a title and memberhsip of the RF, after denying it in the past. I hope the courts turn her down.
What did she say about titles and membership of the RF?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
What did she say about titles and membership of the RF?
I doubt if she wants a title, or membership of the RF, I think she just wants recognition that Albert is her father and since he will only give that grudgingly, she might want some money as a token that she IS recognized as his offspring.
Closed Thread

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii