The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2020, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Any credibility to reports that "Ms Boel claims that questions over her lineage led to her and her mother being put on a 'high risk' list by financial institutions, which led to Royal Bank of Scotland abruptly closing both of their bank accounts in 2012. Ms Boel was told she would have to publicly denounce claims that Albert was her father in order to have their names removed. 'I refuse to sign such a lie,' she told German newspaper Die Welt. Those difficulties prompted her to go to the courts in 2013 in an attempt to prove her biological father was Albert.The same year the legal case began, Albert abdicated for 'health reasons', passing the throne to son Philippe - Ms Boel's half-brother." This is the first time I have read this being the reason behind Delphine's legal pursuits. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hine-Boel.html
I admit that I wasn't sympathetic to her at first but I didn't know the details.. that Albert had rejected her and that her legal father had not been around much.. now I do understand that her motives are probably sincere In that she's hurt and angry at her blood father's rejection.. Even if she does put forward more financial or other claims I still have sympathy and feel that she has a genuine case.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:16 AM
Nobility

Another article explaining Delphine Boel's initial reasoning behind pursuing her paternity from King Albert. https://www.parismatch.com/Royal-Blo...nfants-1659856. Using google translate this Paris Match article gives an indepth explanation regarding she and her mother being put on an essential "blacklist" by the financial institutions i.e. Royal Bank of Scotland in Jan. 2012 for being a PEP or politically exposed person of high risk because of speaking out about being King Albert's daughter. "Through her advice, Delphine contacted Thomson Reuters, which owns a percentage of the company World-Check. World-Check offered to remove my name from its PEP list if I signed a document that clearly indicated that I had absolutely no connection to Albert and that the information on Wikipedia and other public sources was only gossip. I refused to bow to their game and make this false statement. The problems continued to arise. The abdication of King Albert in July 2013 neither changed nor erased my status of ďdirtyĒ PEP. This is just one example of the discrimination that I have to endure and face in real life. All of this creates a bad buzz associated with my person, my children." It appears this is at least partial reason for Delphine to have pursued legal recourse in clarification of her paternity.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Delphine BoŽl gave an interview to dutch tv show "TV show", i expect the link will only be available for a few days, but in case anyone is interested:
TV Show kijk je op npo.nl
(her interview starts at about 30 min., the voiceover is in dutch, but the interview in english, so i think you'll get the gist quite well)

Not really anything new ("TV show" is a bit of a "nice interview" show, not one for groundbreaking revelations) but she does state her reason for continuing the courtcase to get a dna test of K.Albert is not about money or "being a princess", but about identity i.o.w knowing who her biological father is, for herself, her kids (and maybe later grandkids).
She also mentions that if she hadn't had children, she might not have pursued the issue as it's a very hard proces to go through.

In her artwork you can see that "truth" is an important motive for her at the moment.
I spent the past couple days reading most of the posts in this thread (back to 2003) trying to gain a little more clarity and background surrounding Delphine's struggle to find her identity and prove what she and many others already knew, that she is the biological daughter of King Albert II.
I just finished watching the above mentioned tv interview from 2016 with Delphine, her interview portion is in English starts@ ~30" into the show. I think Delphine's story is quite incredible and it doesn't seem that her intentions have changed over the years..."dna test of K.Albert is not about money or "being a princess", but about identity i.o.w knowing who her biological father is, for herself, her kids (and maybe later grandkids)." I'm impressed with her strength and courage, how she seems to have survived the scrutiny and malicious gossip over the years, and that of her family - mother, husband and two children. The banking issues that came about which she touches on briefly in the interview and I have highlighted in previous posts also seem to be one of the tipping points for her to continue going forward. In 1999 a book about Queen Paola was written by a young Flemish boy outing Delphine and her mother and they initially denied the stories but the stories did not go away.
So thank you to Lee-Z for your great posts on this thread and many others who have contributed, it's been a fascinating read!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
I spent the past couple days reading most of the posts in this thread (back to 2003) trying to gain a little more clarity and background surrounding Delphine's struggle to find her identity and prove what she and many others already knew, that she is the biological daughter of King Albert II.
I just finished watching the above mentioned tv interview from 2016 with Delphine, her interview portion is in English starts@ ~30" into the show. I think Delphine's story is quite incredible and it doesn't seem that her intentions have changed over the years..."dna test of K.Albert is not about money or "being a princess", but about identity i.o.w knowing who her biological father is, for herself, her kids (and maybe later grandkids)." I'm impressed with her strength and courage, how she seems to have survived the scrutiny and malicious gossip over the years, and that of her family - mother, husband and two children. The banking issues that came about which she touches on briefly in the interview and I have highlighted in previous posts also seem to be one of the tipping points for her to continue going forward. In 1999 a book about Queen Paola was written by a young Flemish boy outing Delphine and her mother and they initially denied the stories but the stories did not go away.
So thank you to Lee-Z for your great posts on this thread and many others who have contributed, it's been a fascinating read!
Im sure she does not expect to be welcomed by the family or become a Princess. I hope that seh's not in it for money... I think that she DID just want some recogiition in public and private from her biological father.. he was around when she was a kid.. and when he was so bullish about not admitting it, she did become resentful and wanted to push for the recognition. ALbert has only grudgingly admitted it but I hoep that this will be enough for her..
Old 02-02-2020, 07:47 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
ALbert has only grudgingly admitted it but I hoep that this will be enough for her..
Why should it be? She has been greatly and 100% unnecessarily wronged - for decades!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addapalla View Post
Why should it be? She has been greatly and 100% unnecessarily wronged - for decades!
What is the point of dragging on and on. Yes Albert has behaved badly.. but one can't go on "punishing" him for the rest of his life. What would be the point of it? What would one hope to gain by dragging the whole issue up again and again for years?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
While I certainly don't think it's likely that Delphine will ever have any sort of relationship with Albert, I don't know why anyone is convinced that she will never have a relationship with any of her half-siblings. At some point, their parents will pass away and they might feel comfortable establishing some sort of contact. Or, they might not at all. But, I think it's far from certain what will happen or how they feel about their half-sister.
I am curious about this as well. The Royal Court headed by King Philippe has hitherto held firm in their refusal to comment on the case, saying it is "a private matter". Perhaps Philippe is attempting to remain neutral, or perhaps he simply feels that a statement from him would help no one.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I am curious about this as well. The Royal Court headed by King Philippe has hitherto held firm in their refusal to comment on the case, saying it is "a private matter". Perhaps Philippe is attempting to remain neutral, or perhaps he simply feels that a statement from him would help no one.
It IS a private matter.. and they have no obligation to make friends with Delphine.. Im sure they are embarrassed......
Old 02-02-2020, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if part of the reason for not commenting is to make it clear this is a private matter for the family, to avoid any "official" link to the monarchy at all.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wonder if part of the reason for not commenting is to make it clear this is a private matter for the family, to avoid any "official" link to the monarchy at all.
That is probably the reason
Old 02-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
What is the point of dragging on and on. Yes Albert has behaved badly.. but one can't go on "punishing" him for the rest of his life. What would be the point of it? What would one hope to gain by dragging the whole issue up again and again for years?
It's not about Albert or what is convenient for him and for the rest of his life. He brought this all on himself.

It is about justice for his aggrieved daughter. When Delphine feels she has received the justice she has sought, then what you call "dragging on” can cease. And portraying her long battle for justice as “punishing him” is appalling, as the whole prolonged mess is entirely his doing and could have been quietly resolved many decades ago had Albert & Paola been less selfish & vindictive, and more honorable.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's not about Albert or what is convenient for him and for the rest of his life. He brought this all on himself.

It is about justice for his aggrieved daughter. When Delphine feels she has received the justice she has sought, then what you call "dragging on” can cease. And portraying her long battle for justice as “punishing him” is appalling, as the whole prolonged mess is entirely his doing and could have been quietly resolved many decades ago had Albert & Paola been less selfish & vindictive, and more honorable.
I totally agree. It could have been handled so much better and resolved decades ago. If Albert and Paola had behaved with dignity and due concern for the child Albert sired and had a relationship with for a time, they would both have been regarded as gracious and honourable rather than despised for their selfishness.

I don't expect Delphine's half-siblings to comment publicly; they are no more responsible for this mess than she is and are entitled to treat it as a private matter.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:

It is about justice for his aggrieved daughter. When Delphine feels she has received the justice she has sought, then what you call "dragging onĒ can cease. And portraying her long battle for justice as ďpunishing himĒ is appalling, as the whole prolonged mess is entirely his doing and could have been quietly resolved many decades ago had Albert & Paola been less selfish & vindictive, and more honorable.
But what constitutes justice? He has recongised her, and I hope he leaves her something in his will. But what else can be done? Their relationship is fractured, and he is an old man. What exactly can she want of him?
Old 02-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is quite a story about the 18 year old boy who uncovered the story:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...-delphine-boel

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-02-2020, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But what constitutes justice? He has recongised her, and I hope he leaves her something in his will. But what else can be done? Their relationship is fractured, and he is an old man. What exactly can she want of him?
Once more I'll say this, in Belgium you CANNOT desinherit your children, Following the new laws she will be entitled to a minimum part of his possessions. Half of his possessions will legally go to his children, and that part will be divided by four now.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Interesting law, Rominet09.

Can a person in Belgium gift items and money to children, charities and the like before death - effectively limiting one's possessions to be controlled and distributed after death under that inheritance law?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

So...if I understand the article correctly and completely, this entire battle by Delphine was triggered by Albert himself. When she contacted him for advice and guidance on how she should respond to the allegations in the Danneels book, his reply was along the lines of I AM NOT YOUR FATHER. BUZZ OFF AND NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN!.

My suspicion is that Delphine's anger, not to mention her humiliation,
drove her determination to have Albert publicly acknowledge her. Nothing more. How different might have been the outcome if he had simply responded to her with some compassion and kindness during that crucial phone call.

At least.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Interesting law, Rominet09.

Can a person in Belgium gift items and money to children, charities and the like before death - effectively limiting one's possessions to be controlled and distributed after death under that inheritance law?

Normally, under continental European civil law (also used in Latin America), children have equal rights to a predetermined share of their father's inheritance (usually half, with the other half being inherited by the widow). If property is transferred to one of the children in life, I understand that is considered an anticipation of their share of the inheritance and the other children have to be compensated accordingly later (or, at least, they can sue for compensation).

I am not sure if my understanding is correct, but others here can clarify it
Old 02-03-2020, 03:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

A really good Vanity Fair article! I had known about the school boy's book and posted about it earlier but Vanity Fair clears up more of the mystery behind Delphine's mother Sybille's relationship with Albert and the time line. Mario Danneel's story as a 16y/o school boy writing a book about Queen Paola and uncovering that the King had an 18 year affair resulting in an illegitimate daughter is a pretty incredible story in itself. Thanks for this gem, ladongas
Old 02-03-2020, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that is a very interesting article about the boy who wrote the book. Thank you, ladongas.

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii