The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I can't see that it would work like that, Royal titles are dependent on legitimacy.. by birth. I think Delphine is morally entitled to her father recognising her and admitting that he's stalled and lied but she is his daughter.. and laeving her some money, but I don't see that shes entitled to be a Princess.
Well that would typically be my understanding as well, that royal titles and places in the Royal Family are dependent upon being a legitimate and born of wedlock child. However, it does seem as though there might be some question in Belgian law about the idea that if a person is legitimized then he or she would be entitled to the same titles, etc. as a child born in the marriage. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of Belgian law so I'm trying to understand if that really is a possible question on the table. I really don't think she should be able to now claim a title and name herself as a member of the Belgian Royal Family but then again, I also don't think she should be entitled to a portion of his estate just because they happen to share some DNA if he doesn't want her to have it. Is that really how Belgian law works?

Old 01-30-2020, 11:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Well that would typically be my understanding as well, that royal titles and places in the Royal Family are dependent upon being a legitimate and born of wedlock child. However, it does seem as though there might be some question in Belgian law about the idea that if a person is legitimized then he or she would be entitled to the same titles, etc. as a child born in the marriage. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of Belgian law so I'm trying to understand if that really is a possible question on the table. I really don't think she should be able to now claim a title and name herself as a member of the Belgian Royal Family but then again, I also don't think she should be entitled to a portion of his estate just because they happen to share some DNA if he doesn't want her to have it. Is that really how Belgian law works?
\\you don't think that a child has some rights?? what does it matter to Albert, if she inherits some of his fortune? He has other children but they are not going to go short if he leaves soemting to his daughter.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
\\you don't think that a child has some rights?? what does it matter to Albert, if she inherits some of his fortune? He has other children but they are not going to go short if he leaves soemting to his daughter.
I don't think that simply sharing DNA with someone entitles you to a portion of the money and assets that the person has saved or earned throughout their life if they don't want you to have it. And I believe that's true for both extremely wealthy and privileged people like Albert and for those of us who are simply normal people doing our best to earn and save. There's a million different dynamics that can exist between biological parents and their biological children and many of those dynamics can mean that for a multitude of reasons those parents don't want their children to inherit and given that it's their money and assets, their wishes should be respected. Simply sharing DNA doesn't mean that someone owes you something and they shouldn't be forced to give it to you if they don't want to.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think that simply sharing DNA with someone entitles you to a portion of the money and assets that the person has saved or earned throughout their life if they don't want you to have it. And I believe that's true for both extremely wealthy and privileged people like Albert and for those of us who are simply normal people doing our best to earn and save. There's a million different dynamics that can exist between biological parents and their biological children and many of those dynamics can mean that for a multitude of reasons those parents don't want their children to inherit and given that it's their money and assets, their wishes should be respected. Simply sharing DNA doesn't mean that someone owes you something and they shouldn't be forced to give it to you if they don't want to.
I think its pretty odd to regard fatherhood as "simply sharing DNA" nad not soemthing that has obligations and affections. If you bring a child into the world you owe it something. He has not given this poor woman much, it appears that he showed her a bit of affection as a child and wanted to marry her mother.. now he's gone cold on her. Money after he's dead, esp when he is far from poor, does not seem a terrible imposition.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think its pretty odd to regard fatherhood as "simply sharing DNA" nad not soemthing that has obligations and affections. If you bring a child into the world you owe it something. He has not given this poor woman much, it appears that he showed her a bit of affection as a child and wanted to marry her mother.. now he's gone cold on her. Money after he's dead, esp when he is far from poor, does not seem a terrible imposition.
To each their own but I see parenthood as much more than sharing DNA. And in this case, the relationship they share appears, from the outside at least, to be nothing more than shared DNA. He's her biological parent but to me that doesn't make him her father. As sad as it is the woman doesn't really appear to have an actual father figure, simply a DNA match and a legal father that allowed her to carry his surname. And while that's very sad, it still doesn't really mean that they owe her any assets or money. At least not in my mind. And frankly, if what she's really seeking is parental love and affection, a father figure, a daddy, etc. then forcing her way into a share of his assets seems like it would be no real consolation or compensation for what she really appears to want. Money can't fix everything.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
To each their own but I see parenthood as much more than sharing DNA. And in this case, the relationship they share appears, from the outside at least, to be nothing more than shared DNA. He's her biological parent but to me that doesn't make him her father. As sad as it is the woman doesn't really appear to have an actual father figure, simply a DNA match and a legal father that allowed her to carry his surname. And while that's very sad, it still doesn't really mean that they owe her any assets or money. At least not in my mind. And frankly, if what she's really seeking is parental love and affection, a father figure, a daddy, etc. then forcing her way into a share of his assets seems like it would be no real consolation or compensation for what she really appears to want. Money can't fix everything.
Precisely Parenthood IS more than Sharing DNA and Albert hasn't done anything much. He has not been a great father to his other children either it appears. The way he's acting, you'd think that Delphine forcibly brought herself into existence by stealing his DNA. He can't make up for the years of coldness and blanking her.. but a decent man would at least try to make some gesture of reparation.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I agree with you. King Albert is being unfairly persecuted by an attention seeker.

Delphine's biological parents had a relationship. These things happen. People move on. It was no secret who her biological parents were but Delphine needed to defeat King Albert in a one-to-one conflict. There is no need for this. Her parenthood was not in question. She wanted to win a personal victory by conquering the Sovereign. Delphine is generating so much hatred for no purpose other than for self-aggrandisement. I didn't think I would feel sorry for King Albert but I do because of the destructive attitude of the daughter. It is such a common scenario where a child is born from a passing relationship. But in this case the mother and child were ok. They did well and have lived a prosperous, safe, bourgeois life. So what's the big deal? Basically, Delphine just wanted to diminish a VIP to satisfy her sense of narcissism.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
I agree with you. King Albert is being unfairly persecuted by an attention seeker.

Delphine's biological parents had a relationship. These things happen. People move on. It was no secret who her biological parents were but Delphine needed to defeat King Albert in a one-to-one conflict. There is no need for this. Her parenthood was not in question. She wanted to win a personal victory by conquering the Sovereign. Delphine is generating so much hatred for no purpose other than for self-aggrandisement. I didn't think I would feel sorry for King Albert but I do because of the destructive attitude of the daughter. It is such a common scenario where a child is born from a passing relationship. But in this case the mother and child were ok. They did well and have lived a prosperous, safe, bourgeois life. So what's the big deal? Basically, Delphine just wanted to diminish a VIP to satisfy her sense of narcissism.
As Denville stated "If you bring a child into the world you owe it something."

Would you sympathize with Albert if he were being prosecuted for a hit-and-run traffic accident?

Why then is he allowed the leave the scene of this "crime" and accept no responsibility for the child - another human being - that resulted from it?

Yes, Dephine's parenthood was in question. Albert refused to even acknowledge he was her biological father.

And how do you know mother and child were ok? It appears to me Delphine wasn't. To learn that the man she thought was her biological father wasn't and then to suffer rejection from the man who is must have been an emotional experience for her.

Albert is responsible for this mess. Delphine only went to court when all other attempts to contact Albert failed.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have biological parents somewhere. I also have a mother and a father and brother which formed my family growing up. Personally, I have never given a thought to wanting to know my biological parents for any reason whatsoever. They've played no part in my life. Anyone can become a biological father or mother. It takes work, love, sacrifice, caring and discipline to be a parent. Two totally different things in my book.

While I do believe that Delphine has the right to know her genetic makeup, I also believe that knowing that someone is biologically related to her and hoping for some kind of relationship, acceptance as part of a family, status and inheritance from someone who hasn't really been involved in her life for most of her 52 years is bound to lead to disappointment.

Sure, it may be deemed that she is a lawful daughter of Albert in a court of law but the reality is that its just writing on a piece of paper and maybe gives her a bank account boost. Is it really worth it? I'm not Delphine so I can't say but I know it wouldn't be something of importance for me at all. JMO
Old 01-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have biological parents somewhere. I also have a mother and a father and brother which formed my family growing up. Personally, I have never given a thought to wanting to know my biological parents for any reason whatsoever. They've played no part in my life. Anyone can become a biological father or mother. It takes work, love, sacrifice, caring and discipline to be a parent. Two totally different things in my book.

While I do believe that Delphine has the right to know her genetic makeup, I also believe that knowing that someone is biologically related to her and hoping for some kind of relationship, acceptance as part of a family, status and inheritance from someone who hasn't really been involved in her life for most of her 52 years is bound to lead to disappointment.

Sure, it may be deemed that she is a lawful daughter of Albert in a court of law but the reality is that its just writing on a piece of paper and maybe gives her a bank account boost. Is it really worth it? I'm not Delphine so I can't say but I know it wouldn't be something of importance for me at all. JMO

I agree with you but Delphine obviously did want a relationship - or at least some acknowledgement - from her biological father. But he rejected her completely - even refusing to admit he was her father. It's possible a simple acknowledgement on his part - yes, you are my child - may have been important to her for whatever emotional or psychological reasons.

While there may be an element of anger on her part at this point in time, I can't help but wonder how differently this might have played out if Albert had manned up from the start. At some point Delphine may have decided "fine, I will force you to acknowledge me if that's what it takes."

But I agree - Delphine will never enjoy a relationship with Albert or her half-siblings. But perhaps an acknowledgement was her primary goal in the first place. So that piece of paper might mean a lot to her, even if she originally hoped for more.

We'll have to wait and see how this drama plays out.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
As Denville stated "If you bring a child into the world you owe it something."

Would you sympathize with Albert if he were being prosecuted for a hit-and-run traffic accident?

Why then is he allowed the leave the scene of this "crime" and accept no responsibility for the child - another human being - that resulted from it?

Yes, Dephine's parenthood was in question. Albert refused to even acknowledge he was her biological father.

And how do you know mother and child were ok? It appears to me Delphine wasn't. To learn that the man she thought was her biological father wasn't and then to suffer rejection from the man who is must have been an emotional experience for her.

Albert is responsible for this mess. Delphine only went to court when all other attempts to contact Albert failed.
What seems extraordinary to me is that apparently its Ok for Albert to somehow "unwillingly" share his DNA with his mistress, creating a child.. whom he "doesn't want to know or acknowledge"... and feels no responsibility towards. He was a a grown man. He knew what he was doing when he had an affair and they had a child.. If he had said that he "didn't want to provide any money for Delphine" when she was a baby, I cant understand how anyone could feel that was OK and that he had a right to refuse any responsibility towards his child...
Old 01-30-2020, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I completely understand what you're saying here. However, I really do have to ask, would it be nice for her to at least be able to see Albert more often? I understand the desire to know where you come from but I don't think it would be nice for her to see him more often when it's been made quite clear that he's only acknowledging her DNA makeup because he was basically forced to and that he only very begrudgingly made his statement and doesn't regard her as his child or a member of his family. I can't imagine wanting to see someone or spend time with someone who very much wishes you'd disappear and not be a thorn in his side. That doesn't seem even remotely conducive to a pleasant encounter.
I was thinking more along the lines of that Delphine and Albert could talk out their old grudges if they met again. It's not fair on her children that they can't see their grandfather, but if Albert's presence will leave more hurt than pleasure it's probably best for them not to have much contact. After all, they have their paternal grandparents and I'm sure they have other grandfatherly/motherly figures in their lives too. Perhaps it's my own background that wishes things would be happy again for Delphine when it comes to relations with her father, but if they sat down and talked, it's not a completely out-of-the-window suggestion.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-30-2020, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of that Delphine and Albert could talk out their old grudges if they met again. It's not fair on her children that they can't see their grandfather, but if Albert's presence will leave more hurt than pleasure it's probably best for them not to have much contact. After all, they have their paternal grandparents and I'm sure they have other grandfatherly/motherly figures in their lives too. Perhaps it's my own background that wishes things would be happy again for Delphine when it comes to relations with her father, but if they sat down and talked, it's not a completely out-of-the-window suggestion.
I think that ship's sailed. He really did hold out for far too long.. and it doesn't seem as if he is willig to make any move to be friendly with her....
Old 01-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think that ship's sailed. He really did hold out for far too long.. and it doesn't seem as if he is willig to make any move to be friendly with her....
Albert does seem to be very stubborn about this. I'm just commenting hypothetically when I say it would be nice if they were to rekindle, but the reality looks as if they won't.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-30-2020, 05:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Albert does seem to be very stubborn about this. I'm just commenting hypothetically when I say it would be nice if they were to rekindle, but the reality looks as if they won't.
well precisely. I think she's hurt and angry, and probably doesn't want to sit down with him and renew their relationship any more.. but he has been exceedingly stubborn...and I don't think he wants anything to do with her..
Old 01-30-2020, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

You would think he might wish to rehabilitate his reputation... Many people, nearing the end of their lives, seek to right wrongs while there is still time.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

This story could have been resolved many years ago. But King Albert was stubborn. I think he only recognized it because there was nothing more to do. I also think that she is hurt and angry.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Nobility

While I certainly don't think it's likely that Delphine will ever have any sort of relationship with Albert, I don't know why anyone is convinced that she will never have a relationship with any of her half-siblings. At some point, their parents will pass away and they might feel comfortable establishing some sort of contact. Or, they might not at all. But, I think it's far from certain what will happen or how they feel about their half-sister.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
You would think he might wish to rehabilitate his reputation... Many people, nearing the end of their lives, seek to right wrongs while there is still time.
If he were thinking like that, he would have recognised her withtout being forced into it.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 AM
Nobility

Any credibility to reports that "Ms Boel claims that questions over her lineage led to her and her mother being put on a 'high risk' list by financial institutions, which led to Royal Bank of Scotland abruptly closing both of their bank accounts in 2012. Ms Boel was told she would have to publicly denounce claims that Albert was her father in order to have their names removed. 'I refuse to sign such a lie,' she told German newspaper Die Welt. Those difficulties prompted her to go to the courts in 2013 in an attempt to prove her biological father was Albert.The same year the legal case began, Albert abdicated for 'health reasons', passing the throne to son Philippe - Ms Boel's half-brother." This is the first time I have read this being the reason behind Delphine's legal pursuits. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hine-Boel.html

Closed Thread

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii