The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

RTL translated the statement of King Albert II into English.

Quote:
"His Majesty King Albert II has taken cognisance of the results of the DNA sample which he lent himself to at the request of the Brussels Court of Appeal. The scientific conclusions indicate that he is the biological father of Mrs. Delphine BoŽl.

Even if there are legal arguments and objections to justify the fact that legal paternity is not necessarily a reflection of biological paternity and that the procedure adopted seems to him questionable, King Albert decided not to object and put an end in honour and dignity to this painful procedure.

King Albert wishes to point out that, since the birth of madame Delphine BoŽl, he was not involved in any family, social or educational decision whatsoever relating to Madame Delphine BoŽl and that he always respected the link that existed between madame Delphine BoŽl and her legal father.

More than forty years later, Mrs. Delphine BoŽl decided to end her legal and socio-emotional bond with her father and to change family. And this through a long, painful procedure which has proved judicially contradictory.

This procedure did not respect the privacy of the parties. Respectful of judicial institutions, King Albert refrained from intervening in debates outside the courtrooms. Thatís why he decided to react and explain his position in this matter."

It also translated several sentences from the statements made by Delphine BoŽl's lawyer, Marc Uyttendaele:

Quote:
But Boel's lawer Marc Uyttendaele, asked on RTL television about his client's rights to a royal inheritance, said that she is "a legitimate child just like any other".

He said the admission by the former king was a "relief" for Boel "because her life has been a long nightmare because of this quest for identity".

"She had a biological father who brutally rejected her when this paternity publicly emerged," and she launched her legal fight "to avoid her children carrying this weight," Uyttendaele said.

The lawyer said the statement from Albert "is characterised by a lack of elegance, a lack of humanity... the statement continues to confirm this lack of love".

https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1462502.html

Please note that when Mr. Uyttendaele speaks of Ms. BoŽl's legitimate rights to an inheritance, he is referring to her future rights after eventually winning legal recognition as Albert's child. Mr. Uyttendaele confirmed that legal recognition has not been achieved yet, and it probably will not be accomplished until the next court hearing which is listed for June 4.

See: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2289124

Old 01-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
RTL translated the statement of King Albert II into English.

It also translated several sentences from the statements made by Delphine BoŽl's lawyer, Marc Uyttendaele:

https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1462502.html

Please note that when Mr. Uyttendaele speaks of Ms. BoŽl's legitimate rights to an inheritance, he is referring to her future rights after eventually winning legal recognition as Albert's child. Mr. Uyttendaele confirmed that legal recognition has not been achieved yet, and it probably will not be accomplished until the next court hearing which is listed for June 4.

So basically, Delphine is now in a kind of "legal" limbo when it comes to paternity? (legal, not biological).

Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A clip from TV5Monde:

---
In the newspaper Het Nieuwsblad royalty reporter Wim Dehandschutter Šnd in a different column 'news manager' Peter Mijlemans today claim that although King Filip kept his distance from Delphine for a good reason - it was not clear if there were ties of blood between them. But now he no longer has an excuse to ignore her (as he did twice when they were at simular locations in the past). Alberts cold hearted refusal had a negative impact on the esteem people have for the monarchy. A more open and modern approach would restore some of the damage. Even a handshake can be enough. Mijlemans also mentions that the timing of King Albert's statement is less than ideal as King Filip needs all his attention to focus on the government negotiations, which seem to be getting nowhere.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
So basically, Delphine is now in a kind of "legal" limbo when it comes to paternity? (legal, not biological).
That is correct. At the present moment, Delphine has no legal father. That has been the status quo ever since the court case which brought the paternity of Jacques to an end was finalized (in December 2019).
Old 01-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Which is precisely why I am deeply skeptical about her lawyer's claims that this is not about money and titles. The lawyer knows perfectly well that, if recognition of legal paternity is deemed equivalent to "legitimization" in Belgian law, then, by seeking to be legally recognized as Albert's daughter, Delphine is at least indirectly pursuing all the rights and claims of a legitimate child, which include money and possibly titles and a place in the line of succession. All other public statements to the contrary are simply PR in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Which is precisely why I am deeply skeptical about her lawyer's claims that this is not about money and titles. The lawyer knows perfectly well that, if recognition of legal paternity is deemed equivalent to "legitimization" in Belgian law, then, by seeking to be legally recognized as Albert's daughter, Delphine is at least indirectly pursuing all the rights and claims of a legitimate child, which include money and possibly titles and a place in the line of succession. All other public statements to the contrary are simply PR in my opinion.

The lawyer was using the language "legitimate child" within the context of being asked whether recognition would affect the inheritance of Albert's private monies. The rules on inheritance are set out in the Civil Code. The terminology of "legitimate" and "illegitimate" children has been taken out of the Civil Code, and I am fairly sure they have been taken out of all civil legislation. In the sense of civil law, every child whose parentage is legally recognized is now a legitimate child.

Succession to the throne and to titles of nobility would be considered separately, as they are not governed by the civil law. The lawyer was not asked about those matters.

Note that when Mrs. BoŽl made her first application to the courts in 2013, an adult child did not even enjoy a legal right to take the family name of her new legal father following a paternity suit. That was only established by a verdict from the Constitutional Court in April 2017.

Her lawyer has also pointed out that from a financial standpoint, it would have been more lucrative to remain the legal daughter of Jacques BoŽl, who is one of Belgium's wealthiest citizens.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

It seems she is financially secure based on what I have read here....but even so what if it is partly about her right to inherit money/assets (whatever)? She's his daughter just as much as any of his other children are his daughters/sons.

LaRae
Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think it matters even if she were to be interested in money and titles, although if it were about money she would have been better off remaining a Boel.
The bottom line is that she is indeed Albert's daughter, and no matter how inconvenient that might be for Albert and Paola, she has a right to be recognized, with whatever might come along with that. Albert and Paola are the ones at fault, not her.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
In februari 1968 Delphine is born. Sybille moves to Uccle, where Albert visits her nearly on a daily basis. When Albert let it be known that he also wants to divorce the Prime Minister Leo Tindemans makes it clear that this would mean that he would lose custody over his three other children. The relationship ends in 1984 when he announces that he will celebrate his silver wedding anniversary with Paola.
So you're saying that he was a father to her for the first 16 years of her life and then cut her off, denied her and even told her once on the telephone she's not his daughter?
What a terrible man.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:48 AM
Royal Highness

What a victory for Delphine BoŽl, I am really happy for her. Even though I would not be surprised if the victory feels bittersweet to her. But at least she is acknowledged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I don't think it matters even if she were to be interested in money and titles, although if it were about money she would have been better off remaining a Boel.
The bottom line is that she is indeed Albert's daughter, and no matter how inconvenient that might be for Albert and Paola, she has a right to be recognized, with whatever might come along with that. Albert and Paola are the ones at fault, not her.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
So you're saying that he was a father to her for the first 16 years of her life and then cut her off, denied her and even told her once on the telephone she's not his daughter?
What a terrible man.
Yep, those are the stories that are known. My guess is that he was fine with it when it was private - then she was outed as his daughter and as he saw it as part of his private life, he found her to be a nuisance. Hence the 180 turn. And, of course, there was Queen Paola. A true Italian fury.

I have read that some wonder why he didn't do "a Mitterrand". Confronted with an illegitimate child and reply with "et alors?" ("so what?") With those two words he 1. acknowledged Mazarine and 2. silenced everyone about the subject.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Wow TBH I aways thought Albert would keep posting legal obstacles until his demise (sad but its the truth) I am shocked he appears to have acknowledged her as his child (biological if nothing else) without a court order to do so and even more surprised at him saying she will inherit as his other children will.

That said does Albert actually have any real wealth for her to inherit anyway, I would imagine most of his apparent wealth is actually not his own i.e. the house hat belongs to the Royal Trust, cars from the royal car pool etc.

Anyway, its seems almost surreal that after so long in one statement this is, in effect, over and what a liar IMO it has made Albert seem to be.
Delphine appears a thoroughly selfish and self-indulgent individual. Her attitude is destructive. There is no good reason for gaining some kind of official recognition of her biological father. It is enough that this information is shared generally amongst those who need to know. Delphine is living a fictional dream. She wants to become a 19th century romantic heroine who is campaigning for justice against an oppressive monarch. The real world is not like that. King Albert II has remained dignified and correct during this whole process over the years. Now Delphine has brought him down and denigrated him. She gains a superficial schoolgirl's sense of victory - that is all. King Albert and his family are the victims in this.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Majesty

We all in Belgium are sad that the King did not admit directly he was Delphine 's Father. I would avoid Delphine Provocation paintings , and years Justice Costs.

In Belgium A Father may not disherit his Child. King Albert 's fortune is to : between 3 or 4?
Delphine's name will remain Boel or Saxe Cobourg Gotha ?
What is sure: King Albert II will never meet Dephine until the end of his life.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:41 PM
Courtier

I know absolutely nothing of Belgium inheritance laws but is it possible in Belgium to exclude a child from inheritance? For instance, in the United States, it's as simple as putting a statement in a will that "it is my intention to leave nothing to my son, ***" or "I have intentionally excluded *** from my will" or something to that effect. It shows that while you did not forget that person existed, you have chosen not to include them in an inheritance for whatever reason. If that is also the case in Belgium then it should be easy enough for Albert to decline to allow any inheritance to go to Delphine. However, it's my understanding that he may not actually have that option and it may be Belgian law that all legal children are to be included in inheritance regardless of their relationship with their parents or the wishes of the parents. Is that really the case?
Old 01-29-2020, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I have always struggled to understand why Delphine has been so eager to get Albert to recognise her as his daughter. To me family is what you make it, I have a lot of friends (i.e. family friends who've known me since birth) who I see more as family than some of the many cousins I have. I have a half sister who sees my father as her own and when it came to her wedding and everyone asked who was going to walk her down the aisle she replied - "my father - the man who taught me to be a good person, to love, to pick myself up when I fell down - not the one who has simply sends me the odd cheque and things he has done his part". Of course she meant my father, her step-father, but he had been her father figure since she was 4 years old and to her it seemed odd anyone should expect it otherwise.

Likewise, I don't see why Delphine is so eager to be formally recognised as the daughter or someone who clearly has no interest in being anything like a father to her. I understand the desire to be proven correct when you've been shouted down for telling the truth so long but at the end of this I'm not sure she personally has come out of it any better.

I really don't think she can have any expectation to be part of the RF officially, she is part of Albert's family but that is it. At this point in their lives it is unrealistic to expect Philippe and his siblings to decide to welcome her with open arms when they have their own lives and duties to get on with. (not that there needs to be any ill feeling necessarily either)
You have really done a wonderful job in explaining what I have been wondering myself. I have so many questions (that of course are none of my business and will probably never get answered). What really started all of this? Why turn your back on a stepfather that took care of you and gave you his name? What do you hope to accomplish? 10-15 years down the road, what have you gained my this, a small inheritance from the former King of Belgium? Was it worth it? A father so that you can know your identity? So many questions that will never have answers.

And just my opinion, Albert's lawyers and finance advisers probably moved money etc a long time ago. There may be little to no inheritance for Ms. Boel.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I know absolutely nothing of Belgium inheritance laws but is it possible in Belgium to exclude a child from inheritance? For instance, in the United States, it's as simple as putting a statement in a will that "it is my intention to leave nothing to my son, ***" or "I have intentionally excluded *** from my will" or something to that effect. It shows that while you did not forget that person existed, you have chosen not to include them in an inheritance for whatever reason. If that is also the case in Belgium then it should be easy enough for Albert to decline to allow any inheritance to go to Delphine. However, it's my understanding that he may not actually have that option and it may be Belgian law that all legal children are to be included in inheritance regardless of their relationship with their parents or the wishes of the parents. Is that really the case?
This was discussed on the Flemish Radio1 today. I remember the following:

It is not possible to disinherit a child. Delphine will be entitled to 1/8th of whatever assets the King has. But there are ways around it. For example moving money abroad. King Baudouin moved his fortune to the US in the early 80-ties to escape the devaluation of the Belgian Franc and perhaps to evade death tax for his heir(s). King Albert may do the same. It will be difficult for local tax authorities to know what exactly is going on and it will be nearly impossible for Delphine to know.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Philippe, Astrid and Laurent has already got their heritage (sorry, don't know the right word) and the property of Albert is very small. Then Delphine will get not very much.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
You have really done a wonderful job in explaining what I have been wondering myself. I have so many questions (that of course are none of my business and will probably never get answered). What really started all of this? Why turn your back on a stepfather that took care of you and gave you his name? What do you hope to accomplish? 10-15 years down the road, what have you gained my this, a small inheritance from the former King of Belgium? Was it worth it? A father so that you can know your identity? So many questions that will never have answers.

And just my opinion, Albert's lawyers and finance advisers probably moved money etc a long time ago. There may be little to no inheritance for Ms. Boel.
She wants recognition Her stepfather didn't take care of her.. he gave her his name and that was all.. and her blood father, who did play the part of a father to her as a chld, turned on her and disowned her. I don't blame her for being hurt and angry. I doubt if it is about money...
Old 01-29-2020, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
Delphine appears a thoroughly selfish and self-indulgent individual. Her attitude is destructive. There is no good reason for gaining some kind of official recognition of her biological father. It is enough that this information is shared generally amongst those who need to know. Delphine is living a fictional dream. She wants to become a 19th century romantic heroine who is campaigning for justice against an oppressive monarch. The real world is not like that. King Albert II has remained dignified and correct during this whole process over the years. Now Delphine has brought him down and denigrated him. She gains a superficial schoolgirl's sense of victory - that is all. King Albert and his family are the victims in this.
Refusing to acknowledge one's own child is hardly "dignified and correct."

In the United States we have a phrase for men like that: deadbeat dads.

Albert denigrated himself. He needed no help from Daphne Boel.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Courtier

I would agree that it doesn't appear to be entirely based on money. However, I do wonder really how much satisfaction she gets from him having to announce publicly that he is her biological parent. I'm sure there's a certain degree of satisfaction there but the way this has all been handled seems to have torpedoed any chance there might have been for any sort of personal relationship with either Albert or his other three children. Is the satisfaction of forcing him to publicly admit to being her biological father enough or will she find herself still feeling very unfulfilled or unsatisfied again after that satisfaction wears off? I guess I'm really left wondering what the end game is here? On the surface it would seem that the end game was money but that's essentially been ruled out. Then it would seem that the end game was to have a, presumably warm, relationship with her biological father and half siblings but that's been effectively voided by the way this was all handled. And frankly, I have a really hard time that the end game in all of this was a simple "yes I am her biological parent, we do share DNA." It would seem very unsatisfactory to receive such a curt acknowledgement yet she had to know that's what would be coming. Surely she didn't expect a warm and flowery acknowledgement after all that's happened?
Old 01-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

How should Delphine have handled this in order ‘to have a, presumably warm, relationship with her biological father and half siblings’...?

If Albert had immediately admitted to what everyone already assumed or knew to be true, years of struggle, embarrassment, and misery could have been avoided. I don’t see what she did wrong; it was her father who lied, obfuscated, postponed! If she were my sister, I would want to get to know her, not blame her for what created the problem.

Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii