Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is not a stupid man. Who or what is he trying to protect... or punish... until he dies??

It most likely started as an attempt to protect his marriage/wife and probably continues out of stubbornness?

He is not a stupid man. Who or what is he trying to protect... or punish... until he dies??

I read that one of the conditions Paola gave for their reconciliation was that he walked away from Sybille and Delphine?

I read that one of the conditions Paola gave for their reconciliation was that he walked away from Sybille and Delphine?
Yes, I remember reading that many years ago. Originally he was apparently visiting or supporting the child. Then when he got back with Paola, she insisted he turn his back on the child completely. Which he has. I don't know how I actually feel about someone doing that to a child as it must have been confusing for her, but so many years ago. I can't believe Paola still cares one way or another now.

Yes, I remember reading that many years ago. Originally he was apparently visiting or supporting the child. Then when he got back with Paola, she insisted he turn his back on the child completely. Which he has. I don't know how I actually feel about someone doing that to a child as it must have been confusing for her, but so many years ago. I can't believe Paola still cares one way or another now.

My opinion is that it doesn't reflect well on either Albert or Paola, if that is true. Anyone who would do that to a child has a questionable set of values.

All this fuss, this probably would have been almost forgotten if he had simply confirmed he was the father (as we all suspect) years ago. Here in the UK we don’t have the same laws on inheritance but surely if that is Albert’s issue there are ways around it anyway.
Honestly the drama keeps going on and on. I don’t see what either Albert or Delphine get from fighting this tbh. I can understand her wish to know who her father is but to me a father is someone who raises you and cares for you, not necessarily your biological father. However, that is likely that is based on my own family's circumstances. Albert is wrong not to give her an answer but equally Delphine can not demand more of Albert than that. Certainly they both share a very stubborn streak!

Interesting. Well, he might have walked away from them, but they haven't walked away from him!

So, Paola is part of the equation as well and must be part of the solution. Who knows what words were exchanged between the two women at the time, or between them all, but there is a lot of anger on everyone's part. Sadly, I don't think this will ever be resolved.

Delphine Boël's mother speaks: "The King is playing the game in the hope that the affair will last until after his death"

""Legacy has never been the goal of Delphine's approach"

"I don't know much about all of these legal issues, but from what I've been told, things don't stop when he dies. For him, of course. But for his heirs, it's even more complicated, "she said.

https://www.sudinfo.be/id157119/art...xprime-pour-la-premiere-fois-depuis-longtemps

https://www.dhnet.be/actu/belgique/...-jusqu-apres-sa-mort-5df8b4e99978e272f976df57

I think Delphine and her mother have an expectation that Delphine will become an HRH and a member of the RF.

Well, we know she will never be in the line of succession as the constitution clearly limits it to legitimate children only. The 1991 royal decree on titles of the RF on the other hand only mentions children issued of the descendancy of Prince Albert ( please correct me if I am wrong), so she might have a claim to the HRH.

In any case, the 1991 royal decree is now repealed and, if I understand it correctly, the legacy clause in the 2015 decree applies only to the persons who , at the time, were HRHs under the 1991 decree, which does not include Delphine, so her legal claim is doubtful in that case too.

:previous:

I think that hypothetically, a person could invoke the elimination of distinctions between legitimate and illegitimate children in civil law, and the fact that neither the 1991 nor the 2015 decrees on titles mention legitimacy, to argue for construing the regulations in Delphine's favor if she is acknowledged as Albert's daughter. But Delphine Boël and her lawyers have on multiple occasions released statements asserting that Delphine is not asking for succession rights, titles, membership of the royal family, or even an inheritance, and even in the unlikely event that they backtracked, they would in a pragmatic sense require the consent of the royal family, the government, and/or the courts, none of which are likely to devote any effort to providing royal privileges to her.

As far as I'm aware, the only benefit that her attorneys have confirmed she would take advantage of, if her suit prevails, would be the right according to the civil code to adopt Albert's family name. But as that right was not established by the constitutional court until 2017, it cannot have been a factor in her decision to sue in 2013.

:previous:

I think that hypothetically, a person could invoke the elimination of distinctions between legitimate and illegitimate children in civil law, and the fact that neither the 1991 nor the 2015 decrees on titles mention legitimacy, to argue for construing the regulations in Delphine's favor if she is acknowledged as Albert's daughter. But Delphine Boël and her lawyers have on multiple occasions released statements asserting that Delphine is not asking for succession rights, titles, membership of the royal family, or even an inheritance, and even in the unlikely event that they backtracked, they would in a pragmatic sense require the consent of the royal family, the government, and/or the courts, none of which are likely to devote any effort to providing royal privileges to her.

As far as I'm aware, the only benefit that her attorneys have confirmed she would take advantage of, if her suit prevails, would be the right according to the civil code to adopt Albert's family name. But as that right was not established by the constitutional court until 2017, it cannot have been a factor in her decision to sue in 2013.

Since Albert does not use a family name , I wonder what family name she would adopt.

Delphine Fitzalbert? :D

From Quora: In later times, similar forms were coined for members of the English and British royal family, who historically lacked a surname, and particularly for illegitimate children of kings and princes (Fitzroy, son of the king; Fitzjames, son of the king James II of England; and FitzClarence, son of the Duke of Clarence). From this later use, it has been inferred that the name indicates illegitimacy, which was not originally the case."

https://www.quora.com/In-English-when-and-how-did-the-surname-prefix-fitz-come-to-mean-bastard-child

I agree that it seems like Delphine is trying to make some sort of way into the Belgian RF. I'm sure she wants recognition from Albert as a father too but the slim chance of a title/lands seem to be playing a big part as well.

For those who think that Delphine is after a title or membership of the RF; what leads you to believe that?

With regards to the surname it would be interesting to see what she would use: would 'de Belgique' be an option or Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, since they 'reinstated' the use of that title?

Since Albert does not use a family name , I wonder what family name she would adopt.

With regards to the surname it would be interesting to see what she would use: would 'de Belgique' be an option or Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, since they 'reinstated' the use of that title?

The surname issue has never been tested in the courts, but after the earlier statements from the Palace, legal counsel for King Albert, and legal counsel for Delphine Boël that they regard 'of Saxe-Coburg/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha' to be the surname (see the titles thread), I can't think of anyone else who would have an interest in objecting to what all three of them apparently consider appropriate.

For those who think that Delphine is after a title or membership of the RF; what leads you to believe that?

I can't speak for others; but for me it seems that her mother is most keen based on the very fact that she is still actively involved in the case. As someone who doesn't have contact with their father themselves, I can appreciate that the main goal probably is to have that recognition from Albert, especially considering that as reports have said, he did see Delphine during her childhood. However, it just still seems somewhat suspicious to me that she keeps on having to state that Delphine is not after the royal connections as it just seems rather superficial.

:previous: All this heartbreak and humiliation for what everyone always knew.

Better late than never, Your Majesty.:sad:

Well well, that is a surprising turn of events! It seems the King had no other option but to tell the truth, after so many years of lies. A great pity he could not have done this years ago while there was still a possibility to have some sort of relationship with his daughter and to conclude this matter on a more harmonious note.

A great vindication for Mrs. Boël and her mother. Her crusade for recognition that has lasted for years and years and went against great odds. Congratulations to her.

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...logische-vader-is-van-delphine-boel~a82c70ae/

https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20200127_04823306

https://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/d...que-de-delphine-selon-le-test-adn?id=10418022

https://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/fa...t-que-delphine-boel-est-sa-fille-1191687.aspx

Last edited:
How did you know about all the articles? Who did you hear the news from because it was supposed to stay a secret for a while.

Well, this for me is the biggest surprise of the year... (and yes, i dare to say that even though the year is barely a month old)

Glad for Ms. Boël and her family that it is out in the open now..

And all the time Albert II spent fighting Delphine,what a waste of time and money.

I for one am glad for Delphine and her family.

Finally! Better late than never. They will probably never have a father-daughter relationship, but they can still get closer.
King Albert is from another generation, where these things were hidden. But now times are different.

Now that Delphone has formal and public recognition that Albert is indeed her father, now what?

The man who raised her has disinherited her. Her biological father the king and his family want nothing to do with her. Her children will never have a happy family relationship with cousins on either side.

Talk about a Pyrrhic victory. But she has want I assume she wanted...vindication.:ermm:

All these years spent in denial and protest ....what was the point?

LaRae

Good for Delphine!
Though if you read the press statement of Albert's lawyers it's painfully clear, that Albert still handles all of this in the most pathetic way possible. Instead of saying sorry or showing any sign of regret or compassion he portrays himself as victim. He says he wasn't involved in her upbringing at all and basically still considers Jaques Boel as her father. Guess his 2 grandchildren will never meet him in person. Another missed opportunity to end this in a decent manner and admit his mistake.

Last edited:
I am happy for Delphine and her mother, especially because the battle ended while the King Albert is still alive. I am assuming there is some closure she was seeking and she does have that now.

Sad her other father disinherited her. I hope King Philippe and Other siblings will reach out to her and form some sort of family relationship. Even if it is a distant one.

What a painful experience to be rejected by your own father for years!!!

Last edited:
Just as a clarification: King Albert II has simply released an informal statement acknowledging that Mrs. Delphine Boël is his biological daughter. As noted in some of the articles (see Marengo's post: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...er-of-king-albert-ii-6319-67.html#post2288648), Delphine has not (yet) become the legal daughter of Albert. That will still require Mrs. Boël to seek a determination from a court.

Having said that, the unofficial but public vindication may be even important in a personal sense than the legal outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom