Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole story would have been a barely-remembered footnote to Albert’s biography if he had quietly recognized her years ago. Now it will be the first thing many think about him.

They actually divorced when Delphine was about 10 years old, I believe. That doesn't necessarily imply , however, that they didn't have a father-daughter relationship as Delphine now claims.
They divorced in 1978 and Sybile and Delphine moved to the UK. It was also around that time she last saw King Albert so the two things are probably connected.

I want to point out that Mr Jacques Boel since 1999 never spoke to the Press , remain silent during 20 years.
Meanwhile , Barones de Selys Longchamp gave interviews to the press with very private Details.

:previous:

Why would he? Mr. Boël has nothing to gain by talking to the press, while the baroness is supporting her daughter’s quest for recognition.

and what about Mr and Mrs jacques Boel 's Honor.
I will write no word anymore in this Thread , because I know to much.

The attorney general intervened in favor of Delphine Boël today, arguing that the Court of Cassation ought to dismiss King Albert II's appeal of the October 25, 2018 verdict that Jonkheer Boël's legal paternity should be disowned and King Albert should undergo DNA testing. The decision of the Court of Cassation has been postponed to December 13 to allow the parties to submit written responses to the attorney general's intervention.

Source

Het Nieuwsblad wrote at the time that, now that the attorney general has intervened against King Albert II's appeal, it is almost certain to be dismissed by the Court of Cassation on December 13.

If the assumption proves to be correct, the paternity case would then be remitted to the Brussels Court of Appeal. Within the next few weeks, the Brussels Court of Appeal would be expected to order a comparison of Albert's DNA testing results with those of Delphine Boël, and the results would become public knowledge.

Based on earlier reports, dismissal of the appeal would also have the result that Jonkheer Jacques Boël loses his position as the legal father of Jonkvrouw Delphine Boël. (He maintains it for the moment, since the Court of Appeal's decision of October 2018 has not become final.) At that point, Delphine would be eligible to drop the Boël name, if she wishes to.

Last edited:
There is no rhyme or reason as to why the King is fighting this. He has made this into a huge (very public) ball of wax when it could of been quietly handled years ago.

LaRae

When shall we expect to have the final say of this case?

Last edited:
I also wonder whether there are any steps left for Albert to needlessly fight this.

In addition to the DNA testing case, the Court of Cassation dismissed King Albert II's appeal against the decision of the Brussels Court of Appeal of October 25, 2018 regarding the paternity of Jacques Boël (which has not been appealed by Jacques Boël himself).

The decision that Delphine Boël is no longer the legal daughter of Jacques Boël thereby becomes final. She is thus free to apply to the courts to have another man recognized as her legal father.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/de...jette-le-pourvoi-du-roi-albert-ii?id=10388190

When shall we expect to have the final say of this case?

That would depend on which case you are referring to.

The verdict in the case involving the fatherhood of Jacques Boël is now final.

A case involving King Albert II's potential fatherhood will begin when Delphine Boël files an application to start the process.

I also wonder whether there are any steps left for Albert to needlessly fight this.

In the article above, King Albert II's lawyer Alain Berenboom says, among other comments, that his client will have his say during the next stage.

All of this seems so incomprehensible, so silly and so futile. A protracted legal battle to declare to the world what everyone-especially the two principals-certainly already know is true.

Why??:bang:

All of this seems so incomprehensible, so silly and so futile. A protracted legal battle to declare to the world what everyone-especially the two principals-certainly already know is true.

I completely agree with you, it is becoming absurd :bang::bang::bang:

That would depend on which case you are referring to.

The verdict in the case involving the fatherhood of Jacques Boël is now final.

A case involving King Albert II's potential fatherhood will begin when Delphine Boël files an application to start.

In the article above, King Albert II's lawyer Alain Berenboom says, among other comments, that his client will have his say during the next stage.

If I understand correctly, once Delphine files the application to be recognised as his daughter, Albert could once again appeal the next decision ? Meaning it would take some more years.

Last edited:
He's going to drag this until he dies, isn't he?
UGH

All I'll add to this is that I think this whole thing with Delphine and Albert and the paternity issue is a lot like a rocking chair. There's a whole lot of action going on but its going to get them absolutely nowhere in the long run. :D

All I'll add to this is that I think this whole thing with Delphine and Albert and the paternity issue is a lot like a rocking chair. There's a whole lot of action going on but its going to get them absolutely nowhere in the long run. :D
I think this comparison is brilliant… exactly the same situation and I think people are tired of it.

If I understand correctly, once Delphine files the application to be recognised as his daughter, Albert could once again appeal the next decision ? Meaning it would take some more years.
However, Albert already had to take a paternity test and the results are sealed, so I don't completely understand why she needs to file another application to be recognized as his daughter. Didn't Albert appeal to the results of the paternity test being disclosed? So, now his appeal is discarded, shouldn't the results become available to Delphine?

I think this comparison is brilliant… exactly the same situation and I think people are tired of it.

It mainly shows to me that the justice system is set-up in a way that the 'wrongdoer' can stretch these processes endlessly and the 'victim' is the one who won't have closure. This is a rather straightforward case imho, so should have been resolved a long time ago.

The Christmas Conversation in the hairdressers shops and in some families.
The Joke Philippe received as Chrismas gift a Sister and Mathilde a Sister-in-law !

I know nothing about the typical timeframe of a paternity suit, but according to one of the Belgian media outlets, Delphine's attorneys hope to obtain the first decision concerning Delphine's application to be recognized as Albert's daughter at the end of 2020.

Like you, I suppose that whichever party "loses" in that decision will then file an appeal.

However, Albert already had to take a paternity test and the results are sealed, so I don't completely understand why she needs to file another application to be recognized as his daughter.

Apologies, but I'm not sure I understand your question. A change to legal arrangements naturally involves a legal process.

Didn't Albert appeal to the results of the paternity test being disclosed? So, now his appeal is discarded, shouldn't the results become available to Delphine?

No, he appealed an order requiring him to take a DNA test and an order declaring that Jacques Boël is no longer the legal father of Delphine.

King Albert's DNA testing results have not been disclosed because they are immaterial to the paternity of Jacques Boël, which was the issue under consideration in the courts.

The court order for a DNA test of Albert was requested and granted on the basis that Albert, at his age, might be deceased by the time Albert's paternity is up for consideration.

However, Albert already had to take a paternity test and the results are sealed, so I don't completely understand why she needs to file another application to be recognized as his daughter. Didn't Albert appeal to the results of the paternity test being disclosed? So, now his appeal is discarded, shouldn't the results become available to Delphine?

Albert has undergone the paternity test but is not yet legally recognized as her father. Delphine must file a special application for this. In these new proceedings, the court will be able to rule on Albert's paternity on the basis of the results of the paternity test (but if Belgium rules in the same way as in France on this matter, the biological link may not be sufficient). Albert will be able to appeal the decision if he is recognized as her father and eventually, if the decision of the Court of Appeal does not suit him, he will be able to bring the matter before the "Supreme Court" (Cour de cassation).

The yesterday rejected appeal was intended to prevent Jacques Boël from no longer being officially recognized as Delphine's legal father, a sine qua non condition for Delphine to be able to request that Albert be legally recognized as her father.

Last edited:
Thanks, so Delphine the DNA-test is strictly tight to her request to have Albert legally recognized as her father. I was under the impression that she already started those proceedings because why would his DNA be needed for the Boël paternity case as it was already established that Boël is not Delphine's father (and why does Albert have a say in that at all - if not as part of his own paternity process?!).

I am still a little confused about all of the legal arrangements and steps taken (and still to be taken).

I was under the impression that she already started those proceedings because why would his DNA be needed for the Boël paternity case as it was already established that Boël is not Delphine's father

King Albert's DNA was indeed not needed for the Boël paternity case. As said above, it was reported in the media at the time (see here for instance) that Delphine sought to have Albert's DNA taken and stored in anticipation of a future Delphine-and-Albert paternity case (which, as titiromi said, could begin once the Boël case was completed), out of concern that Albert might no longer be alive by that time.

The decision that Jacques is not Delphine's father became final only yesterday.

(and why does Albert have a say in that at all - if not as part of his own paternity process?!)

It seems it was because the two orders were issued in the same judgment, and that judgment was therefore the object of the appeal (based on this article, at least).

Last edited:
So Albert is very much into Rex No Potest Peccare, but not so much Noblesse Oblige?

He is not a stupid man. Who or what is he trying to protect... or punish... until he dies??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom