Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Golly this is a sexist topic so she is crazy her mother should have not have sex but the king has done no wrong I can't believe people still think like this.

In all fairness, Albert and Sybelle were probably not planning to have any children when their relationship began, nor could anyone have seen this coming. But I agree that a lot of the aspersions and innuendos against Sybelle's character and Delphine's motivations are pretty bad. I don't like it for the same reason I don't like the knee-jerk villifaction of the men in cases like this. It seems that Delphine and her mother were trying to make private arrangements to clear everything up and legal proceedings were a last resort as Albert and the Royal House would not cooperate. The press also came after them not the other way around so there was a need to get facts straight as well.

Delphine Boel isn't mad and neither was her mother. She's got a point to prove and the time and means to make said point. Albert on the other hand, selfishness and immaturity to one side (which he has mostly grown out of) probably sees Delphine as a reminder from a part of his life he'd prefer to forget. Ive also heard on this thread that apparently there was some kind of promise made to Paola about no public acknowledgements, and its possible the rumors over Laurents paternity may be related as well? As much as I don't like saying so, he has his reasons for doing this related to Paola and his other children and unfortunately for Delphine their claims and feelings take priority over hers - although a future case could force Albert to take the DNA test, she can't force him to have a relationship with her.

The law is clear, he's not her legal father, Jacques Boel is and that's how it will have to remain, even if its pretty likely that Albert is biologically (The main thing that stood out at me when I first saw pictures of Delphine is how much she looks like Archduchess Astrid and for that matter there is a resemblance to Queen Astrid as well, although it could just be coincidence). Boel probably should just make peace with it and move forward with her life as she risks being done for harrassment if she keeps flogging said dead horse.

Here's Marlene Eilers Koing's summary of the claims and counter claims of the case - she explains far better than i can

http://http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.co.nz/2016/10/king-albert-ii-summoned-to-court.html

Last edited:
Golly this is a sexist topic so she is crazy her mother should have not have sex but the king has done no wrong I can't believe people still think like this.

Whatever Albert did, he is getting karma by having his supposed illegitimate daughter heap abuse on him and his wife very publicly. I don't think Delphine has faced the reality that she's not going to be able to disown her legal father and Albert will never accept or acknowledge her as part of his family.

Not facing reality is not a sign of good mental health and she's shown that much of this is about a vendetta. She isn't' someone who has been left to starve in a gutter and she is not someone who has been forced to beg. She is part of Belgian society and I don't think she's healthy focusing on what has clearly been seen as an unhealthy fixation.

This has gone on for years, over a decade now and she's still determined to go against a court decision with a legal team and keep this up. Any anonymous person would have been taken into custody and made to undergo a psyche salutation, put on medication, and ordered to attend therapy sessions.

When the legal court tells you you do not have a case, you don't have a case and you need to back off and go lead your own life. She's lived a remarkably privileged one and I am sure she refuses to see that. She has no business torturing herself and no Belgian court is going to force a former KING to obey anything since the royals are in fact almost a law unto themselves. She won't get 'justice' since she does not have a solid case.

With following this story, I just can't help but think that the entire problem lies in accepting things that cannot change. Whatever happened in the past is over and done with and Delphine is an end result of a liaison between two people.

No matter what she is trying to prove, the results will inevitably end up being the same as they are right now. If Albert was ever going to recognize her as his daughter, he would have done so by now and continuing this forward isn't going to change that. Legally, she's the daughter of Mr. Boel and that's not going to change any time soon either.

What really matters is that she's on this earth right now and has had a pretty good lifestyle all along. Its time to put the past in the ancient history folder and go forward in life. Parentage whether it be biological or adoptive served its purpose to guide her into adulthood and being able to be a mature, responsible adult and from what I've seen, she's had that.

To prove that someone else biologically sired her isn't going to change her life or her outlook on life one iota and I think the sooner she realizes this and moves on, the happier she'll be.

JMO of course.

I wonder how much of an influence her mother is in not letting this go...

I agree and believe that Sybil did hope for a chance to become Albert's wife, become Crown Princess, then become Queen Consort, and then become the mother of Delphine who would be made into Heir. I believe she moved it into Delphine's head that one day Albert would be her father and she (Delphine) would be a princess and then Queen in her own right one day. It could well be that Delphine thinks she's fighting for her birthright as Heir and eventually Queen.

There is only two people responsible for this mess and Delphine is not one of them.

At some point in life we are no longer victims and we are no longer perfectly innocent of things that happen. Delphine stopped being a victim a long time ago and she's creating problems by insulting the former King and Queen and continuing a PR campaign, when she isn't in court with her legal team. I cannot imagine this is good for her kids. For all we know, Delphine could be telling them that their biological grandfather is a king.

She should be focusing on her own kids/family and not this mess she's continuing to make of her life.

:previous:
It's understandable that Delphine is frustrated and angry by her lot in life. I think most of us would be if placed in the same situation. She did, indeed, insult Albert and Paola with her words and her artwork, especially her pieces of art over the years. I learned, unfortunately after living so many years, that words and actions you put forth in anger, have consequences that carry over for a long time, as long as one is alive sometimes. When Delphine or anyone continues to fan the flames or stoke the fire by insults, it solves nothing and it makes nothing better for either party. Her anger and obsession have gotten very little in return and she must be a difficult person to live with although that's only speculation, but angry and bitter persons have miserable lives as do those around them.
Please believe me, I'm sure that if Delphine hadn't continually hurled insults at Albert and handled the situation differently, Albert would have recognized her as his daughter and everything would have been happily ever after. Albert may have continued to dispute her claim and be uncooperative or if she had remained quiet and under the radar, something private may have been worked out. I don't know, I'm just throwing out an opinion and theories that may be too wild to consider.
As it is, Albert is not in the best of health and he won't act upon her wishes now when he hasn't after so many years and when he is no longer around the present King won't support Delphine and in the end, she fought and was bitter for zero.

Once Albert is gone, I am certain that she'll be utterly ostracized by the Belgian nobility and socialites. No way is Delphine's antics going to be tolerated by the present king and Queen and no tolerance will be given to her anymore by the courts.

I agree and believe that Sybil did hope for a chance to become Albert's wife, become Crown Princess, then become Queen Consort, and then become the mother of Delphine who would be made into Heir. I believe she moved it into Delphine's head that one day Albert would be her father and she (Delphine) would be a princess and then Queen in her own right one day. It could well be that Delphine thinks she's fighting for her birthright as Heir and eventually Queen.

i'm sorry but that is the silliest thing i ever heard about this issue , if her mother ever said that to her i think that delphine is smart enough to google it for 2 minutes and now that in no way that could ever happened .

and i think that albert had it coming when the story broke in the 90's and she and her mother were hammered by the press and she sought for help from the king he told her she was not his daughter, to leave him alone and hang the phone on her i think if he tried to help her even without acknowledging that she is his daughter this whole episode would have never started and she would have never looked for revenge . from what i see she doesn't want a relationship with the king or the royal family she want revenge .

Delphine needs friends who will tell her to stop and stop now before the RF takes action in having her committed. Albert might deserve it, but the rest of the RF and Paola does not and I do not believe in trying to make something happen that clearly never will. She has wealth and status and frankly that alone should make her content. Lots of kids get jilted by their parents and lots of kids live and die in poverty.

Albert clearly does not want her around. I do think that while people are assuming that Albert is in fact her father, but regrettably it is just as possible that he is not. Albert will likely keep cutting her out until he loses patience and takes legal action towards her that will put her in jail for harassment. A large part of this sounds like she wants the courts to tell the world that she's his daughter, even if it were proven that she is not his biologically.

As if she would like the court to literally force Albert to have a relationship with her. She wants a court to announce that she is part of the Belgian RF, as if a judge can make that call even if there is no real tie. I don't think she loves Albert at all, I think she's trying to almost force her way into that family. Proof of a biological ties will not put her in the succession, it will not entitle her to a palace, and it will not entitle her to a title, and it will not entitle her to doing appearances on behalf of the RF.

I do think for some reason she's forcing the hand of the Belgian RF, but I do not know why.

Last edited:
The story would have been a different one was Delphine, Albert's alleged daughter, living in deep poverty, abandoned from all and everyone. That would have been a scandal: her alleged father living in wealth at the Château du Bélvedère and she living in a wreckage. The opposite was true, her parents, Messire and Madame Jacques Boël née baronne Sybille de Selys Longchamps, belonged to the most privileged in Belgium. The wealth of the Boëls easily outpowered that of (then) the Prince of Liège.

After the divorce from Boël, Delphine's mother married the Hon. Michael-Anthony Rathmore Cayzer from the barons Rotherwick of Tilney and she and her daughter lived "to the manor born" on his estate (Great Westwood in Kings Langley, Hertfordshire). Not too pauvre either. So essentially the Belgians see a lady from a social class they can not relate to, waging a war against a man from a social class they can not relate to. From these three gentlemen Delphine got so many golden spoons, as is the saying, that people think: how much more privileged can one be? How many of such kickstarts in life can one wish for? That declares the ambivalence around Delphine's person.

Last edited:
Seriously!?

Cripes, she wasn't born into a gold spoon, she was born into a DIAMOND spoon! All that and she still isn't satisfied? That is criminal!

You know, I knew she was well taken care of since she's been a 'modern artist' and we know that means making stuff that makes no sense (at least to me) and being able to lead a life of impracticality. Certainly, she isn't at all in need of having to pay bills and she has not had to live in a hovel while struggling to get her break.

This is a case of her wanting something more, something she'll never have. Her mother will leave her a fortune when she (Sybil) dies and so Delphine has no business living life with a chip on her shoulder.

Well, Ms Boell has stated many times (-there are links to interviews in this thread) that it's not about money or titles, but about recognition...

like i said she wants revenge , she want to see albert forced to acknowledge her as his daughter she wouldn't be as much satisfied if albert voluntary acknowledge her as much as she would be if he is forced by a judge to acknowledge her she doesn't want a relationship with him or his family and definitely she isn't seeking a title if she was in another country like netherlands where the duke of bourbon parma illegitimate son is now officially HRH prince Carlos Hugo Roderik Sybren de Bourbon de Parme then i would think that she wants a title but as that's not the case in belgium i think that she's smart enough to know that this would never happened .

Last edited:
Well, Ms Boell has stated many times (-there are links to interviews in this thread) that it's not about money or titles, but about recognition...
... and Father Christmas comes on the 25th of December....yes yes yes !

... and Father Christmas comes on the 25th of December....yes yes yes !

Adopted people have the right to know where they come from and the right to their own biological history. I feel for her. It must be difficult to deal with the issue that in this day and age, she was not "enough".

Last edited:
Speaking as an adopted person, I need to disagree with you on the right to know the parentage. I was given up for adoption and the adoption records were sealed. Why I was given up for adoption is something I will never know nor will I go seeking that information. It was a legal transfer of parentage at the time and on that day a child of three weeks old (me) went home with my mother and my father. I couldn't have asked for a better set of parents or a happier life than what they gave me. They truly were my mother and father and that will never be changed. Whatever reason I was given up for adoption remains someone else's business and I would never infringe on that.

To be honest, I do know that there is/was someone somewhere out there that cared enough to want me to have a good life with caring parents. To me, that was a gift that I'll always be grateful for.

I just wish Delphine was wise enough to realize that what she had was pretty good and both her parents did well by her. It really does take more to being a parent than being there when the conception happened.

like i said she wants revenge , she want to see albert forced to acknowledge her as his daughter she wouldn't be as much satisfied if albert voluntary acknowledge her as much as she would be if he is forced by a judge to acknowledge her she doesn't want a relationship with him or his family and definitely she isn't seeking a title if she was in another country like netherlands where the duke of bourbon parma illegitimate son is now officially HRH prince Carlos Hugo Roderik Sybren de Bourbon de Parme then i would think that she wants a title but as that's not the case in belgium i think that she's smart enough that this would never happened .

The difference with Carlos Klynstra is that he had no legal father. When he was born, the mother registered her child without a known father, therefore the surname Klynstra for the child.

Delphine has a father. She was born in the marriage of Jacques Boël and her mother. Jacques is the father on the birth certificate. Her life long Jacques has been her father, to present day.

So Delphine's problem is that the Court of Justice says: "Madame, you have a father: messire Jacques Boël." That is a total different situation than the fatherless Carlos Klynstra was in.

When Carlos Klynstra reached the age of consent he had the legal possibility -for a limited period- to establish a legal parentship between him and his natural father. Had Carlos already a legal father, he would have had the same problem as Delphine, as a child -for law- can only have one father and one mother. Both of them do not need to be the natural parents indeed.

Last edited:
The difference with Carlos Klynstra is that he had no legal father. When he was born, the mother registered her child without a known father, therefore the surname Klynstra for the child.

Delphine has a father. She was born in the marriage of Jacques Boël and her mother. Jacques is the father on the birth certificate. Her life long Jacques has been her father, to present day.

So Delphine's problem is that the Court of Justice says: "Madame, you have a father: messire Jacques Boël." That is a total different situation than the fatherless Carlos Klynstra was in.

When Carlos Klynstra reached the age of consent he had the legal possibility -for a limited period- to establish a legal parentship between him and his natural father. Had Carlos already a legal father, he would have had the same problem as Delphine, as a child -for law- can only have one father and one mother. Both of them do not need to be the natural parents indeed.

i think you are missing my point even if Delphine had no legal father and was recognized as albert daughter by the Court of Justice or albert himself she wouldn't get a title she wouldn't be princess of belgium , princess of saxe-coburg and gotha and duchess of saxony . maybe she could change her surname into delphine de Belgique or delphine de Saxe-Cobourg et Gotha but wouldn't have a title .

Delphine needs friends who will tell her to stop and stop now before the RF takes action in having her committed. Albert might deserve it, but the rest of the RF and Paola does not and I do not believe in trying to make something happen that clearly never will. She has wealth and status and frankly that alone should make her content. Lots of kids get jilted by their parents and lots of kids live and die in poverty.

Albert clearly does not want her around. I do think that while people are assuming that Albert is in fact her father, but regrettably it is just as possible that he is not. Albert will likely keep cutting her out until he loses patience and takes legal action towards her that will put her in jail for harassment. A large part of this sounds like she wants the courts to tell the world that she's his daughter, even if it were proven that she is not his biologically.

As if she would like the court to literally force Albert to have a relationship with her. She wants a court to announce that she is part of the Belgian RF, as if a judge can make that call even if there is no real tie. I don't think she loves Albert at all, I think she's trying to almost force her way into that family. Proof of a biological ties will not put her in the succession, it will not entitle her to a palace, and it will not entitle her to a title, and it will not entitle her to doing appearances on behalf of the RF.

I do think for some reason she's forcing the hand of the Belgian RF, but I do not know why.

As far as I can tell, there isn't much doubt that Albert is indeed Delphine's biological father. That is not the point, however. As was explained by other posters, Belgian law doesn't take DNA into consideration to determine who someone's legal father is. Besides, even if she could prove she is Albert's biological daughter, that wouldn't make her a member of the royal family or give her any succession rights as she would still be an illegitimate daughter, i.e. a child not born of a marriage of the king.

Last edited:
^Which makes me wonder just what it is that she thinks she's going to accomplish. He won't be able to give her anything since Philippe is clearly in charge and must be ranting and raving about this behind closed doors. Delphine will never be accepted and she will never be invited to family events and no one will want to be around any children she has.

Who pays the Lawyers ?

I'm guessing Delphine is either paying herself or someone else is stumping up the cash for her, maybe one of her stepfathers. Albert is also paying out of his own pocket I guess, although given these things I wouldn't be shocked if government money was being used to cover his legal expenses. One way or another, I don't think they'd need to apply for Legal Aid....

If I were a friend, I wouldn't be paying for her legal help, I would offer to pay her therapist's bills. I would tell her to stop and just move on without hesitation.

A few years ago Delphine tried to sell her house in Uccle (Brussels region) for 3 million Euro. Thierry Debels, a royal reporter, stated that this sale was ended (possibly no buyer). Delphine also has an appartment in Paris and a "bastide" (a countryside retreat) in the Provence. Her British husband owns a house in the London area. Her mother, the baroness also has a property in France.

Last edited:
She has three places in her own right, a husband with a house in London, and her mother has property in France where Delphine is always welcome and will inherit.

Would Belgian law allow the posthumous collection of DNA evidence in a paternity case?

I fail to see why. For Belgian law Jacques Boël is her legal father. The law is not interested in how paternity was vested. It had only interst in who declares to be the father and consequently had the responsibility and the paternity rights over the child. Including inheritances (it is almost impossible to disinherit legal children in Belgium).

That was in short also the (already expected outcome): "Madame. You have a father. Monsieur Jacques Boël."

I think Delphine will not succeed during the lifetime of King Albert (who is clearly more and more in frail health).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom