Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Delphine Boel: Ik probeer probleem op te lossen | RTL Nieuws

Article from tv station rtl on Delphine's reason for the trial. She says she doesn't want a father-daughter relationship, mentions that her age she doesn't need a father anymore, but the situation is causing her problems because it turns out she is on a list of "Staatsgevaarlijke personen" (subversive persons, dangerous to the state).
As she puts it: why would i be on that list, unless i'm his daughter...

IF she is on that list (I am sure there might be truth in this actually), then it could well be because she is coming across as dangerous. Thing is, that if Delphine has said nasty things about the King (Philippe) and she has indeed lashed out, it could be that she is considered dangerous to the health of the King/RF. As for Albert, I wonder why he hasn't spoken out.

I do think that Delphine is coming across as a little crazy. She doesn't want a relationship and does not want money? Meanwhile she's slandering various members of the RF in the past. So yes, I can see why they might view her as dangerous.

Sorry for my bad English ! It is in the Law that you have to introduce the complain within a certain time after you have known. So Albert's lawyer will only have to state that law and make the judges notice that she has known for years before going to justice. I hope I am clear here it is difficult

In the US we call it, Statue of Limitations but it usually only applied to criminal cases and not civil cases such as paternity or inheritance.

I am not a lawyer but has anyone ever heard of such a statue being applicable to a paternity/inheritance case in the US?

And your English is great....each country has its own unique way, colloquial expressions, etc. and this is just another example.

IF she is on that list (I am sure there might be truth in this actually), then it could well be because she is coming across as dangerous. Thing is, that if Delphine has said nasty things about the King (Philippe) and she has indeed lashed out, it could be that she is considered dangerous to the health of the King/RF. As for Albert, I wonder why he hasn't spoken out.

I do think that Delphine is coming across as a little crazy. She doesn't want a relationship and does not want money? Meanwhile she's slandering various members of the RF in the past. So yes, I can see why they might view her as dangerous.

She's considered dangerous to the health of the king? *snort* I'm sure Philippe and Albert and the rest of the family consider her a pest, but dangerous? Her constant presence reminding them of Albert's reprehensible behaviour - and I don't mean the affair, I mean the evasion and shirking of responsibility - might be giving them all headaches and heartburn and they might interpret this as "dangerous" to their health.

Throughout history people who have made pests of themselves by saying things the rulers didn't like and reminding them of things they wanted people to forget, have been labelled as dangerous and put on lists. A few centuries ago Delphine would probably have been burnt at the stake or simply disappeared in the night, but they can't do that today.

I don't consider that the fact she doesn't want a relationship and doesn't want money indicative of craziness, or indeed remotely surprising. I would be surprised, and disappointed, if she did. I believe that all she wants is it stated in black and white that Albert sired her.

Last edited:
Zonk, there is no statute of limitations on discovering your father or mother in the states. Adopted people, whom I am not, but can sympathize with their conundrum have the right to find their birth parents. Now, those parents do not have to respond. I used to think, hey they have had these great people who raised them, and I have a cousin and a nephew who were adopted , but sometimes, they wish to know where and from whom did I come. Neither of my relatives felt this way, but other have that right to feel this way and it is correct. If Albert is so short sighted to accept that this happened (if it didn't DNA would have been performed, immediately and discounted her story), then say it was another time and it happened and I am sorry for causing pain to many.

She's considered dangerous to the health of the king? *snort* I'm sure Philippe and Albert and the rest of the family consider her a pest, but dangerous?

Well, in regards to that statement, mosquitoes are pests but can carry malaria.

Sorry folks, hadda do it. :whistling:

Sorry for my bad English ! It is in the Law that you have to introduce the complain within a certain time after you have known. So Albert's lawyer will only have to state that law and make the judges notice that she has known for years before going to justice. I hope I am clear here it is difficult
Thanks for the clarifications!:flowers:
King Albert's legal team will surely make the things more difficult for Ms Boel.

If Delphine Boel is on such a list, someone considers her to be a threat. A threat isn't always someone who is dangerous or someone who has made threats. Sometimes this is done to discredit the other person or others feel threatened because of what the person is advocating or wants done (this would be case of Delphine Boel who wants to be recognized as the King's daughter).

I find this story to be very interesting and fascinating and have to a certain degree followed it.

I find it nauseating. If he is her father all this other nonsense id just that. I used to think he was quite a decent man. That when he and Paola had difficulties he did something less admirable, is hardly a big deal, today. What is less admirable is not taking responsibility and having a law that forbids a person from fining out what their lineage is. So, adopted children should have a time line for discovering their parents. I am not adopted, so I don't know how those who are would feel. I used to feel that if you were loved by your adoptive parents, then the rest was moot. Then I realized, that who was I to decide for them. I don't know how it feels. And those here who condemn Delphine have no idea how she feels. But worse, is that Albert doesn't care. It could have been done in private.

A little more information about the statute of limitations she is running up against is here: Delphine Boël ne gagnera sans doute pas face à Albert II, voici pourquoi - RTL people

The law says the action to contest paternity must be initiated when the child is between the ages of 12 and 22, or within the year when the child learns that the husband (previously supposed father, I guess) is not his/her father. As Delphine was evidently told in her teens that Boel wasn't her father, a strict reading of the code would bar her claim. However her lawyers are expected to argue she didn't really know until the DNA test that he wasn't her father.

A little more information about the statute of limitations she is running up against is here: Delphine Boël ne gagnera sans doute pas face à Albert II, voici pourquoi - RTL people

The law says the action to contest paternity must be initiated when the child is between the ages of 12 and 22, or within the year when the child learns that the husband (previously supposed father, I guess) is not his/her father. As Delphine was evidently told in her teens that Boel wasn't her father, a strict reading of the code would bar her claim. However her lawyers are expected to argue she didn't really know until the DNA test that he wasn't her father.

Not to sound paranoid and all, but when was this law passed? It almost sounds custom-made for this case.:whistling:

This thread turns sadly to a very bad and untrue novel....

No Belgian Members are posting posts...

The Judges of the Court are honest and will decide , I think they cannot do it to day 2nd October , but next months.

Not to sound paranoid and all, but when was this law passed? It almost sounds custom-made for this case.:whistling:

The Act is in the Civic Code, Art. 312 etc.

The Civic Code has been implemented on March 21st 1804. The chapters concerning recognition of children born inside and outside a marriage, parental rights of married and non-married parents, adoptive parents, same-sex parents have continuously been updated to follow new developments in society (same sex marriages, for an example) and to harmonize with EU-legislation.

:flowers:

I wonder if there are data on the exact amount of the fortune of King Albert II and how much Delphine could be getting if she finally gets the DNA test and is legally recognized.

I wonder if there are data on the exact amount of the fortune of King Albert II and how much Delphine could be getting if she finally gets the DNA test and is legally recognized.

Even with the DNA proof, would Albert still have to formally recognize her as his daughter in order to inherit or would the DNA do that for him?

Even with the DNA proof, would Albert still have to formally recognize her as his daughter in order to inherit or would the DNA do that for him?

I would think the courts would force him to recognize her if DNA proved she was his daughter. This is probably in no small way part of why he's refusing to provide DNA. As it stands now he can claim she's not his daughter, if DNA were to say otherwise he can't.

What would legal recognition get her though?

She claims she does not want a relationship
She claims she does not want money
She claims she does not want a title

So what is it that is driving her to this demand for court enforced recognition?

So what is it that is driving her to this demand for court enforced recognition?

Perhaps she is driven by the desire to be legally recognized as the daughter of King Albert II and Sybille de Sélys Longchamps.

Perhaps she is driven by the desire to be legally recognized as the daughter of King Albert II and Sybille de Sélys Longchamps.

The more I think about, the more this makes sense to me. Perhaps just being recognized legally by the court and/or Albert puts it on record and in future generations, the descendants can come on to TRF and have proof that they are biological descendants of King Albert II. One just has to take a good look in the various threads here on genealogy threads to see the importance of heritage to some people.

The personal fortune of King Albert II is estimated on around 12 million Euro (around 15,2 million US Dollar). There are articles claiming that King Albert must be milliardaire, pointing to the fabulous wealth of King Leopold II, who had Belgian Congo as his private fortune.

This King however was so estranged with his family, that he gave the bulk of his estate to the Belgian State (the so-called "Donation Royale") which is an autonomous entity administering the many possessions. King Leopold II made a few conditions: some of the domains never can be sold, some of the properties must remain at the disposal of the royal family, etc.

This makes that the members of the Belgian royal family can still live in splendid castles but these are not privately owned and can not be attributed to their private fortune. When they were so dazzling rich, would Prince Laurent then need the "help" of the Navy to decorate his villa? When they were so dazzling rich, would the late Princess Lilian then feel enforced to sell so many treasures?

Regarding possible wealth, we have to keep in mind that when King Leopold III died he left a widow and six legal children:
- Lilian (the widow)
- Joséphine-Charlotte
- Baudouin
- Albert
- Alexander
- Marie-Christine
- Marie-Esméralda

Belgian law says that all children have the right on an equal part of the estate and that the surviving spouse (here Lilian) holds the usufruct of the estate. That means that if King Leopold III was a wealthy man, his fortune is now fragmented between his children.

When Delphine Boël is declared a natural daughter and able to inherit from her natural father (Delphine still has a legal father, Jonkheer Jacques Boël) then King Albert's inheritance will be divided by his surviving spouse and his four legal children:
- Paola (the widow)
- Philippe
- Marie-Astrid
- Laurent
- Delphine

You will understand that after such fragmentation and after taxes, relatively little will be left for Delphine to inherit. She is the legal daughter of Jonkheer Jacques Boël. The family Boël is in the top 10 of Belgium's wealthiest families. So had Delphine not made the relationship with her father (a man who shuns publicity and wants discretion) impossible, she would have inherited an amazing fortune. It seems that Jonkheer Boël has done everthing to prevent his daughter to inherit from him (by removing assets into the ownership of legal entities like trusts, foundations and funds).

Last edited:

I would think that any sane person wants to know where they came from , there are many reason for wanting to know such as all of us get a lot of our medical questions answered through our parents, that alone is enough to want to know whom our parents are. I would think it is sad and a very lonely thinking that you belonged to know one on this earth and didn't have anyplace to call home or know whom your relatives are.

The chance is there that Delphine will be left with nothing. The Civic Code stipulates that latest in the year of knowledge that the legal father is not the natural father, a procedure before the Court of Justice has to start. After that period one can not initate a court case.

Delphine knows for sure that her legal father, Jonkheer Jacques Boël, is not her natural father. She knows that for sure thanks to a DNA test in 2013. Delphine however claims to know for more than 30 years that Albert is her natural father. According the Civic Code, Delphine had to start a procedure within a year after her discovering that possibly Albert is her natural father. So when the Court of Justice would exactly follow this, Delphine's case will be closed.

Because of the special nature of this case, maybe the Court of Justice can continue but then it needs DNA. Because there are no crimes in this case, the Court of Justice can not order Albert, Astrid or Laurent to deliver DNA. Then there is the European Convention on Human Rights, which recognizes the right of children to know who their biological parents are. This right is hower not yet translated into jurisprudence and juridical arrangements in Belgian legislation. However, such a natural recognition still does not make Delphine a legal child and heir, as she is the legal child and heir of Jonkheer Jacques Boël.

Because of the special nature of this case, maybe the Court of Justice can continue but then it needs DNA. Because there are no crimes in this case, the Court of Justice can not order Albert, Astrid or Laurent to deliver DNA. Then there is the European Convention on Human Rights, which recognizes the right of children to know who their biological parents are. This right is hower not yet translated into jurisprudence and juridical arrangements in Belgian legislation. However, such a natural recognition still does not make Delphine a legal child and heir, as she is the legal child and heir of Jonkheer Jacques Boël.

So we have the possibility of a test case in Belgium which will establish a precedent.

So we have the possibility of a test case in Belgium which will establish a precedent.

Maybe, but of course the cousellors of King Albert are not sleeping and will fight it and go in appeal, and in appeal and in appeal again when there is the slightest doubt that the tribunal of first instance has not exactly applied the articles of the Civic Code in this case. When the judges in this case do not apply the law corrrectly, the Cour d'Appel will act as a tribunal of second instance. In the end the parties still can go to the Cour de Cassation, which then acts as a tribunal of third instance. It can become a nasty fight. Some commentators in media have pointed out that Delphine has narrowed the room for manoeuvres for the King by her public actions. Delphine has not left room for mutual agreements behind closed doors. This, added to the legendaric stubborness of the Von Sachsen-Coburgs, would have lead to the firm stance of the royal family: all hoofs deep in the sand and resist. No one knows exactly what is going on. We can -of course- not rule out that Albert is NOT the father of Delphine. We all assume he is, but for so far -legally- he is nothing to Delphine.

Last edited:
The chance is there that Delphine will be left with nothing. The Civic Code stipulates that latest in the year of knowledge that the legal father is not the natural father, a procedure before the Court of Justice has to start. After that period one can not initate a court case.

Delphine knows for sure that her legal father, Jonkheer Jacques Boël, is not her natural father. She knows that for sure thanks to a DNA test in 2013. Delphine however claims to know for more than 30 years that Albert is her natural father. According the Civic Code, Delphine had to start a procedure within a year after her discovering that possibly Albert is her natural father. So when the Court of Justice would exactly follow this, Delphine's case will be closed.

Great explanation of the case !!! Bravo !

Maybe, but of course the cousellors of King Albert are not sleeping and will fight it and go in appeal, and in appeal and in appeal again when there is the slightest doubt that the tribunal of first instance has not exactly applied the articles of the Civic Code in this case. When the judges in this case do not apply the law corrrectly, the Cour d'Appel will act as a tribunal of second instance. In the end the parties still can go to the Cour de Cassation, which then acts as a tribunal of third instance. It can become a nasty fight. Some commentators in media have pointed out that Delphine has narrowed the room for manoeuvres for the King by her public actions. Delphine has not left room for mutual agreements behind closed doors. This, added to the legendaric stubborness of the Von Sachsen-Coburgs, would have lead to the firm stance of the royal family: all hoofs deep in the sand and resist. No one knows exactly what is going on. We can -of course- not rule out that Albert is NOT the father of Delphine. We all assume he is, but for so far -legally- he is nothing to Delphine.

So the bullies with the deep pockets are likely to win. Again.

So the bullies with the deep pockets are likely to win. Again.

I am not sure it will be a too expensive juridical procedure. It is not about a crime, it is not about a misdemeanour, it is not about a wrongful act. It is "just" a legal case concerning a claim of alleged paternity and will handle very much about the precize interpretation of the articles in the Civic Code.

Last year the lawyer of King Albert, Master Alain Berenboom was interviewed by Het Nieuwsblad. He placed question marks behind the reasons for Delphine Boël to start a procedure. One of the motivations seems to be 'discrimination' because of her alleged band with the King. Master Beerenboom: "The Royal Palace has never discriminated Madame Boël or urged other parties to discriminate against her. On the contrary: when Madame Boël complained that she was experiencing obstruction, that certain people or companies did not want to cooperate with her, we have contacted her lawyer and agreed that Madame Boël could, at all times, contact our office".

Master Berenboom remembered one case which happened in the last months: "It was about a company which refused to cooperate with Madame Boël in the framework of an artistic project and seemed to have as a reason 'the delicate relationship with the Palace'. I immediately contacted that company and made sure that there was no any problem regarding the Royal Palace when they would do business with Madame Boël."

Despite the intervention, the company refused to continue with Delphine. Master Berenboom: "That was a great pity indeed for Madame Boël. But we can not help it that companies or people are être plus royaliste que le roi (are more royalist than the King) and name the Royal Palace as a fallacy for not doing business."

The lawyer did not want to speculate about the procedure and the chances of Delphine on success: "We will defend us before the tribunal with legal arguments which are, in our opinion, valid arguments. The King and the princes are, like any other person, subservient to the Civic Code and it will be the duty of the Court of Justice to give an ordeal about it."

Last edited:

Of course I don't know for sure, but it could just be the satisfaction of knowing that the former King Albert is indeed her biological father. As someone who hasn't been in contact with their own father since their toddler years, I can completely understand why Delphine would want to speak up about her situation. I also agree with SElizabeth - in most cases one wants to know more about their heritage and background if there is a gap there. Delphine is already rather well known within Belgium and perhaps elsewhere (in one of the English newspapers, there was a small article about her recently), so I doubt she is after the fame.

Personally, I believe that Delphine is Albert's biological daughter as it just seems so for me. Also, given the fact that Laurent writes to her from time to time would mean that she definitely has a connection to Albert IMO.

I apologise for asking, I haven't been reading all the posts here so am unaware of certain happenings - but do we know when we will find out whether Albert is her biological father or not? I had read October 2 but so far haven't seen anything new.

Last edited:
Thursday October 2nd lately was an extra -and the last- day of the hearings before the trbunal. With this the hearings have been completed. Now the tribunal will read the case and probably come to a verdict somewhere in December. It seems that her mother, the Baroness Sybille de Selys Longchamps, has handed a petition to the tribunal "to mediate between both parties" (???). Delphine was attending the hearings but had no active role, as it is purely a procedure between the lawyers.

Delphine's case will stand or fall with the exact execution of the procedure. According the Belgian Civic Code an adult son or daughter can only detest the (legal) paternity within a year of discovering that the legal father is not the natural one. The lawyers of King Albert point to that simple rule in the Civic Code. Delphine (46) herself claimed that she know about Albert's paternity since the age of 17. For 29 years she has not undertaken any legal action for recognition of paternity.

The laywers of Delphine have another reading on the matter: their client only knew "the truth" when her father, Jonkeer Jacques Boël, cooperated in a DNA test in October 2013.

Delphine however, has to fight the legal paternity of Jonkheer Boël before she can request recognition of paternity by her natural father. Until last year the mega-rich Jonkheer Jacques Boël refused to join in 'that circus' but apparently seems so fed up with his daughter that he even made sure that she would inherit as little as possible from his formidable wealth. By engaging in a DNA-test, Delphine can try to cut all links with Jonkheer Boël (with which the estranged father probably has no any problem at all). Delphine wants King Albert to undergo a DNA-test. As there is no crime, no misdemeanour, no wrongful act, there are -so far- little grounds on which a Court of Justice can enforce cooperation with a test.

Last edited:
The chance is there that Delphine will be left with nothing.

This part of your comment is so wrong in every way, and what do you mean by *Nothing*?

She still has her life and that is *something*, she isn't asking for his money, titles, or a roof over her head, nor to be in a position to be in line for the throne................she isn't asking for any of those, so what is NOTHING?
She can work, she can support herself, she still has family, and she sure will know her family's medical history for that in it's self is very important as one grows older.........I don't understand all the negative comments about her wanting to know who her father is........if KA was a*real man* and only he knows for sure if he is her father, then he should MAn UP and admit it, he isn't king any more, his reputation is as bad a JC's of Spain, he has nothing to lose, he still gets his money to live on, the palaces to live in, the travel and the respect of all those that come in contact with him(that respect is a very shallow word for someone like him), and he still keeps his ego in tact...........but he won't........which shows his character and the type of man he is...........really an ugly person and if I was her, I would be ashamed if he was my father.............king or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom