Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgian king’s ‘illegitimate daughter’ in court bid for recognition – which would put her 15th in line to country’s throne

This article is utter nonsense - who believes in what the Daily Fail writes? Even if she's The King's daughter - nothing can be proven without a DNA test - nothing will change the fact that she's illegitimate and ineligible to succession. I think she's nothing but a gold digger.

You never know; for all we know, the court might set up a new ruling based on Human Rights and could in fact influence future generations. Weirder things have happened.

No, this is about parenthood, not about the line of succession. When the law defines a legitimate marriage (and in Belgium and most continental countries that is the civil marriage only) then Delphine is not born by the wife which is the lady standing on the marriage certificate: Donna Paola Margherita Giuseppina Maria Consiglia dei principi Ruffo di Calabria.

In some cases it is even more strict: for an example in the Netherlands the Parliament (in a special joint session of both Chambers) has to appove a Bill of Consent for an intended marriage of a royal successor. This mans that an extramarital child of King Willem-Alexander would not only fall outside the legal marriage on itself, it also would fall outside the workings of the Act of Consent given for the wedding of the King with his present spouse. After all such an extramarital child would be given birth by a lady for whom that Act of Consent was never given...

:flowers:

Last edited:
This article is utter nonsense - who believes in what the Daily Fail writes? Even if she's The King's daughter - nothing can be proven without a DNA test - nothing will change the fact that she's illegitimate and ineligible to succession. I think she's nothing but a gold digger.

When Delphine is a gold digger, she would better keep her legal father Jonkheer Jacques Boël... The Boël family is in the Top Ten of Belgium's most wealthy families...

:whistling:

For the rest I completely agree with your post

Richest families of Belgium:

the family Van Rompuy (Argenta Financial Holding) - not related to the EU President Van Rompuy
the family D'Ieteren (Importer of Volkswagen in Belgium and 100 more countries)
the family Bekaert (conglomerate of metal industrial companies)
the family Huts (Offshore and petrochems)
the family Boël (steel and finances)
the family Lhoist-Bergmans (chalk and minerals)
the family Cigrand (Cobelfret, the major company in the Ports of Antwerpen and Ostend)
the family De Nul (offshore and dredging)
the family Unilin (wood industries)
the family Colruyt (retail)
the family Emsens (mining)
the family Frère (banking and mining)
the families Spoelberch, Mévius and VanDamme (InBev, one of the world's largest beer producers)

Last edited:
When Delphine is a gold digger, she would better keep her legal father Jonkheer Jacques Boël... The Boël family is in the Top Ten of Belgium's most wealthy families...

Then she's the most stupid attention seeker ever. :ROFLMAO::lol:

:whistling:

For the rest I completely agree with your post

Richest families of Belgium:

the family Van Rompuy (Argenta Financial Holding) - not related to the EU President Van Rompuy
the family D'Ieteren (Importer of Volkswagen in Belgium and 100 more countries)
the family Bekaert (conglomerate of metal industrial companies)
the family Huts (Offshore and petrochems)
the family Boël (steel and finances)
the family Lhoist-Bergmans (chalk and minerals)
the family Cigrand (Cobelfret, the major company in the Ports of Antwerpen and Ostend)
the family De Nul (offshore and dredging)
the family Unilin (wood industries)
the family Colruyt (retail)
the family Emsens (mining)
the family Frère (banking and mining)
the families Spoelberch, Mévius and VanDamme (InBev, one of the world's largest beer producers)

But didn't Boël disinherit her? so she would be looking for the money from her biological father... :cool:

The Audiences where the Lawyer of Albert II , the lawyer of Mr Jacques Boël and the one of Delphine took a whole day long and Delphine attended the whole day.

This affair (une première) in our history will take a very long time , what can a young Citizen do against a Former Head os State.

The attitude of Queen Paola and her protection towards HER Children makes it difficult of King Albert.
Do you think Paola puts her foot down to protect her children? I always got the impression it’s her immense pride that gets into the way of a solution. After all Albert only started to ignore Delphine after her existence was revealed by the press. Prior to that Paola seems to have tolerated that Albert and Delphine kept in touch. Then again, it’s unfair to put all the blame on Paola, ultimately its Albert’s responsibility. And pretty sure Delphine’s life would have been much easier had her name not been revealed.

Also, judged by Jaques Boel’s recent u-turn he has had enough of it too. Albert and Sybille de Sélys Longchamps asked a lot of him all these years. That he agreed to have the paternity test done shows that he is no longer willing to cover up for Albert and Sybille. The Boels are one very discreet family, this situation must be quite humiliating for him. If the newspaper reports are correct then Albert’s lawyers argue that Jaques Boel has to stay her legal father because Delphine’s claims are time-barred. From a judicial point of view this probably is a good strategy, but it’s another deeply dishonourable move of Albert. :sad:

But didn't Boël disinherit her? so she would be looking for the money from her biological father... :cool:

Yes, Delphine claims that she has been scrapped out of the testament of her father, Jonkheer Jacques Boël. The father himself has said nothing about it. It seems the Jonkheer has been most upset with his legal daughter's actions because he has always tried to achieve utmost discretion, both about his private life as well his fortune.

The story is nonsens however. Delphine still is the legal daughter of Jonkheer Jacques Boël. In most continental systems, also in the Belgian one, it is not possible to disinherit a child. Legally children have the right on a reservatory part of the inheritance (also called "child's portion"). This means that Delphine, as only child, can claim at least half of the inheritance. Jonkheer Boël can only completely disinherit his legal daughter when he applies for repeal of the recognition. In general this can only be done when it is proven that the juridical father is not the biological father and the legal father must prove that his recognition 46 years ago was the result of misleading, fraud, forgery or outside his free will. That will not be easy, after all Jacques Boël has for 46 years known that Delphine was not his biological daughter.

Delphine is throwing stones into her own windows, one by one, and what for? She will never become "family" in this already dysfunctional family and she will barely inherit anything from her alleged father King Albert as his private fortune compares as a mouse to an elephant with Jonkheer Boël. And added to that: Delphine is the only child and heir of the Jonkheer, while she will have to share a much smaller inheritance with lots more of alleged "siblings" who most likely will refuse to maintain any contact with her. She is really crazy.

Last edited:
[....] From a judicial point of view this probably is a good strategy, but it’s another deeply dishonourable move of Albert. :sad:

We can only label something honourable or dishonourable when we know all the facts. For so far no one knows if King Albert indeed is the father of Delphine Boël. That there is a similarity with the features of King Albert's mother says nothing.

There is a program on Dutch television "DNA unknown" where people with doubt about parenthood etc. can have a DNA-check. It is always build up around a case and how often the viewers were not fooled. Something like: "My brother is the only one with red hair and freckles. No any other sibling has that. Now our late mother, bless her memory, was always alone in the house. The milkman came every day en had.... red hair and freckles...."

All siblings in the studio and the whole audience all over the country convinced that he must be the milkman's son. How often the DNA simply reveals that for 99,9999 % the red-haired dude is just a son indeed and has nothing at all to do with the milkman.... That program is amusing and also a very good eye-opener how tricky it can be to judge on looks.

The laws of the constitutions of Belgium and Monaco excluds illegitimat chidren from the sucession. a constitution could not be changed without the agreement of the court , the politics teams and so. No human right counts when it is in a constitution.
We know that Daily Mail is always saying false article.

We can only label something honourable or dishonourable when we know all the facts.

So far we know that:

1) Jacques Boël remains the legal father of Delphine Boël, but he is not her biological father per the recent DNA test.
2) HM King Albert and Sybille de Sélys Longchamps had an affair beginning in the 1960s and perhaps extending into the 1970s - there are enough photographs of them together in intimate settings during this time to make that obvious.

I hope that Delphine Boël and her avocats are ultimately successful. I do not think that she is seeking any sort of acceptance as family by the members of the Royal House. I do think that she is attempting to establish the truth surrounding her conception and that is certainly her right.

So far we know that:

1) Jacques Boël remains the legal father of Delphine Boël, but he is not her biological father per the recent DNA test.
2) HM King Albert and Sybille de Sélys Longchamps had an affair beginning in the 1960s and perhaps extending into the 1970s - there are enough photographs of them together in intimate settings during this time to make that obvious.

I hope that Delphine Boël and her avocats are ultimately successful. I do not think that she is seeking any sort of acceptance as family by the members of the Royal House. I do think that she is attempting to establish the truth surrounding her conception and that is certainly her right.

It says nothing because the Baroness had other affairs as well. We have to remember that it all only started when a young (18 years old!) author, named Mario Danneels, wrote a floppy book with the sugarfondant title "Paola: from La Dolce Vita to Queen" and in which en passant the existence of an extramarital daughter was revealed. At that moment Delphine was 33 years, daughter of a dazzling rich father and raised in most privileged circumstances. She knew it all the time but never made an attempt until all the hullabaloo about the book placed all possible spotlights on her and she started to use the media for her profit. As another aristocrat (Diana Spencer) has painfully experienced: give the media one finger, they take your whole hand. The story went completely out of proportion and derailed.

Rumours say that Albert (and legal father Jacques) were so upset with all this because the old aristocrat code-of-honour seems that a father has to give the best possible circumstances to a child which was born outside marriage. Delphine grew up with a father who belongs to the Top Ten of most wealthy families of Belgium and has reportedly enjoyed a pleasant, carefree and lovely youth. According the rumours, -if true-, both Jacques Boël and Albert would do so difficult with accepting because they honestly feel that Delphine is the last one to have any ground for complaints and can not be compared with those countless babies who grow up in single parent families in poor circumstances. If (if, if, if) true, we have to replace us in the mindset of the aristocrats Jacques and Albert. Not to forget: Baroness Sybille, who has fully co-operated in this set up and maintained it for more than 4 decades. All this of course assuming that King Albert would be Delphine's father. This would then be a sort of explanation why the King categorically denies his cooperation (as well -until recently- Jonkheer Jacques Boël).

What is your source for the claim that the Baroness had other affairs?

There are pictures in the public realm of the then Prince Albert together with the Baroness and a very young Delphine.

Sybille and Jacques seem to have separated when Delphine was quite young and they were divorced by the time she was ten in 1978. So, it is not exactly as if Jonkheer Boël necessarily acted as any sort of father figure in the life of Delphine. He is still legally her father, but he disinherited her before it was even proven that she was not his biological issue - and that can be interpreted any number of ways.

So far we know that:

It was her lawyer the DM quoted as saying if she's found to be Albert's biological child she'll have a place in the line of succession. That to me certainly suggests that she's aiming for more than just recognition as Albert's child.

Don't get me wrong, I think Albert's behaving badly here. If there is any likelihood that this is his child - and there is - then he should be taking measures to establish that and provide for her in a similar way to how he's provided for his other children (granted, he doesn't seem to be winning any Father of the Year awards with them either). But Delphine isn't exactly acting in a way that would foster a good relationship either. She's bringing the personal, private lives of the family into the public, and contributing to a scandal. She may not have started the rumours, but she's definitely doing her best to benefit from them.

It's my opinion that if Delphine had gone about this in a way that wasn't so clearly designed to alienate her father and his family she may have been a lot more successful in her endeavors.

What is your source for the claim that the Baroness had other affairs?

There are pictures in the public realm of the then Prince Albert together with the Baroness and a very young Delphine.

Sybille and Jacques seem to have separated when Delphine was quite young and they were divorced by the time she was ten in 1978. So, it is not exactly as if Jonkheer Boël necessarily acted as any sort of father figure in the life of Delphine. He is still legally her father, but he disinherited her before it was even proven that she was not his biological issue - and that can be interpreted any number of ways.

Jacques may not have been Sybile's partner or spouse throughout much of Delphine's life, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't a part of Delphine's life in itself. Legally he was his father, and we don't know what kind of role he had in her life.

His disinheriting her doesn't necessarily mean anything. Would you really want to leave your estate to a child who has gone out of her way to depict you as a cuckolded man and to disavow your relationship with her?

I almost think Delphine started pursing this because she liked the public attention, then was forced to continue to pursue it because her legal father disinherited her and she lost a chance at a lot of money. Yes she's been wronged by Albert, but that doesn't put her motives in the right here.

We can only label something honourable or dishonourable when we know all the facts. For so far no one knows if King Albert indeed is the father of Delphine Boël. That there is a similarity with the features of King Albert's mother says nothing.

There is a program on Dutch television "DNA unknown" where people with doubt about parenthood etc. can have a DNA-check. It is always build up around a case and how often the viewers were not fooled. Something like: "My brother is the only one with red hair and freckles. No any other sibling has that. Now our late mother, bless her memory, was always alone in the house. The milkman came every day en had.... red hair and freckles...."

All siblings in the studio and the whole audience all over the country convinced that he must be the milkman's son. How often the DNA simply reveals that for 99,9999 % the red-haired dude is just a son indeed and has nothing at all to do with the milkman.... That program is amusing and also a very good eye-opener how tricky it can be to judge on looks.

I never judged Delphine by looks and I also dont belive that resemblance with alleged family members says anything significant about paternity whatsoever. In fact I think Delphine looks like her mother Sybille who happens to resemble Queen Astrid.

There are other evidences though. For ex. Albert himself as well as King Baudouin informed at least 3 Belgian prime ministers (Tindemans, Martens, Dehaene) and other top politicians about the existence of an illegitimate child. Would they have done so if they were really sure Delphine wasn’t his child? I don’t think so.
And regarding the “attention seeking” side: Delphine only started to talk to the press 5 years after the publication of Mario Danneels book. Its my impression that this situation could have been avoided had Albert and the court lend more support to Delphine and her mother. Things escalated during the course of time and to put all the blame on "crazy" Delphine and her mother is quite one-dimensional imo.

Last edited:
It is rather absurd to continue to maintain that Delphine is not Albert's daughter. All of Belgium knows that she is, many former prime ministers, former ministers, other high officials even said mentioned such on the record - which is quite uncommon. As did Sybille, Delphine and many other people around the court. It is extremely likely that she is his daughter, something that was never denied by Albert in public (though he once said it to Delphine herself).

As I said in an earlier post, Delphine seems hurt, angry and looking for revenge at this stage. Not the best motives perhaps, but understandable. As her father, with whom she lived for several years as a normal family, refused to see her time & time again after he made up with his wife. I think that maria olivia has a point when she says that Queen Paola must be a factor in this too. Delphine must be a painful reminder of a bad period in her life, even more inconvenient since the couple joined one of these spooky ultra-catholic movements when Paola's sex-appeal started to dwindle & Baudouin had enough of the couple's marital mess.

Whatever Delphine's reasons are, the responsibility for this mess only lies with Albert. He fathered the child, he lived with her and raised her for a decade or so and he denounced her when Baudouin forced him to go back to his wife or give up his position and dotation. Instead of taking the responsibility for his behavior, he just looked the other way and hoped for the 'inconvenience' to go away. It didn't. A few years ago Delphine mainly seemed bitter towards Paola, who she seemed to blame for Alberts silence at the time. By now it seems that she also sees that the one responsible is first and foremost her father.

As a biological child Delphine has a right of her share of any possible inheritance. I don't see how such a thing would be gold-digging. That King Albert seems a jolly, friendly man doesn't change the fact that his behavior towards his own flesh and blood has been abdominable. Prince Bernhard, for all his -many- faults actually did treat his extramarital daughters more decently. If Albert would have continued seeing his daughter in private, I am quite sure his life as well as Delphine's would have been much better for it and this mess could have been avoided. It would probably have been better on a personal level, but certainly much better for the image of the monarchy and esp. of Albert himself.

About Delphine & the Boël fortune, IIRC she claims that he diverted money to all sorts of foundations and such, to make sure that she does not inherit a penny as nothing is on his name. It wouldn't be the first time when a m/billionaire uses a loophole in legislation to preserve his fortune for his relatives. And in this case it is understandable, according to Delphine she never had a good relationship with Mr. Boël he was seldom around in her youth.

Last edited:

How lovely. Lets look at in the other direction. How about he if he IS in fact her father and has been denying it her entire life. Marengo said it perfectly. I will just applaud.

How lovely. Lets look at in the other direction. How about he if he IS in fact her father and has been denying it her entire life. Marengo said it perfectly. I will just applaud.

Then she'll have money - which I think is the only thing she wants - and no man who loves her as father, quite the contrary. A pitiful situation.

But, of course, King Albert II and Sybille are the ones to be blamed. His Majesty for breaking his sacred marriage vows, Sybille for sharing her bed with a man who was not her husband. The whole thing is disgraceful.

How she was conceived and her parent's behavior in general may be disgraceful. She was born as an innocent baby. She is entitled to be recognized by her paternal family. Why exactly do you think the royals are refusing to give a DNA sample? Money and PR.

(snip)
As I said in an earlier post, Delphine seems hurt, angry and looking for revenge at this stage. Not the best motives perhaps, but understandable. As her father, with whom she lived for several years as a normal family, refused to see her time & time again after he made up with his wife. I think that maria olivia has a point when she says that Queen Paola must be a factor in this too. Delphine must be a painful reminder of a bad period in her life, even more inconvenient since the couple joined one of these ultra-catholic movements when Paola's sex-appeal started to dwindle & Baudouin had enough of the couple's marital mess.

Whatever Delphine's reasons are, the responsibility for this mess only lies with Albert. He fathered the child, he lived with her and raised her for a decade or so and he denounced her when Baudouin forced him to go back to his wife or give up his position and dotation. Instead of taking the responsibility for his behavior, he just looked the other way and hoped for the 'inconvenience' to go away. It didn't. A few years ago Delphine mainly seemed bitter towards Paola, who she seemed to blame for Alberts silence at the time. By now it seems that she also sees that the one responsible is first and foremost her father.

As a biological child Delphine has a right of her share of any possible inheritance. I don't see how such a thing would be gold-digging. That King Albert seems a jolly, friendly man doesn't change the fact that his behavior towards his own flesh and blood has been abdominable. Prince Bernhard, for all his -many- faults actually did treat his extramarital daughters more decently. If Albert would have continued seeing his daughter in private, I am quite sure his life as well as Delphine's would have been much better for it and this mess could have been avoided. It would probably have been better on a personal level, but certainly much better for the image of the monarchy and esp. of Albert himself.
(snip)

Very well put. I totally agree.

How she was conceived and her parent's behavior in general may be disgraceful. She was born as an innocent baby. She is entitled to be recognized by her paternal family. Why exactly do you think the royals are refusing to give a DNA sample? Money and PR.

PR? They need new PR advisors, because I think the way it's been handled makes the royals look pretty shabby.

Last edited:
Well said, Marengo!

As I said before as well...

1) Delphine didn't ask to be born.
2) Shame on Albert for not living up to his responsibilities but as stated before he isn't actually a great father to his other children, so why should we expect different for the child who was the result of an extra martial affair.
3) If Albert had acknowledged the child in some ways years ago, it might not have blown up like this.
4) While I feel for Paola, knowing that a child exists that is eternal proof of your husband's infidelities, it would have been nice if she would have been the bigger person and encouraged Albert to acknowledge the child and have some type of relationship with Delphine. But again, I can only guess how she feels.
5) I hope Delphine realizes that she might win the battle (be legally acknowledged as Albert's daughter) but lose the war (have no relationship with her siblings and/or father) . I hope that this has been worth it.

I don't think she is a gold digger.As I said before, there are many people who don't get over being abandoned by one or both of their parents. If she didn't have a great relationship with her "legal" father, he wasn't there while she was growing up and she feels like there is a connection missing with him....she might be trying to fill the hole with her battle to be acknowledged by Albert.

I wonder if she will ever be content. Because I don't think "winning" this acknowledgement will bring her peace.

Last edited:
It is all sad. Delphine is, probably, Albert's child. I doubt if she is ion this for the money, because if she just had clammed up she would be the heir to her naming father's estate. I think she wants recognition from a parent. More is the pity that he doesn't just say, she is my child. Who cares. It will not change the outcome of the world.

I think if she 'wins' the ruling, she'll lose a lot; she just lost her inheritance from Boel who is likely ticked that her comfortable upbringing he provided has been thrown back in his face and I hope she realizes that this is going to be a Pyrrhic victory.

I do think this will set a precedent; if Boel wins, then Nicole Coste could argue for recognition for Alexandre, resulting in a possible instatement of Alexandre as Prince Albert of Monaco's son and entitled to a place in the succession.

Monaco is a Sovereign principality with it's own Constitution. No European Court can overturn it. Nicole can argue until she's blue in the face, it won't happen.

As for Delphine, I agree with COUNTESS. She probably wants nothing more from Albert except acknowledgement. It would have cost him nothing, especially since a five year old can see that she is a clone of his late mother.

He and Paola have botched this situation beyond belief, and I feel nothing but disgust toward them for doing it.

Last edited:
Sounds more like Delphine Boel wants to be recognized as being one of the King's daughters and is using a direct way to get this. Even if it were proven that she is the King's daughter, doesn't look like she is going to be embraced by his half-siblings or the rest of the Belgian Royal Family anytime soon.

She is pushing the issue, it seems and I'm guessing that this is probably why she has been disinherited by her father's side of the family. It doesn't really seem to be helping her case though.

I would have to wonder if she didn't pursue this and didn't make an issue of it maybe at some point they might come around and accept her into the family.

I just curious. How did she find out about this? Did someone tell her or did she hear it through the grapevine or perhaps heard someone talking about it.

Monaco is a Sovereign principality with it's own Constitution. No European Court can overturn it. Nicole can argue until she's blue in the face, it won't happen.

As for Delphine, I agree with COUNTESS. She probably wants nothing more from Albert except acknowledgement. It would have cost him nothing, especially since a five year old can see that she is a clone of his late mother.

He and Paola have botched this situation beyond belief, and I feel nothing but disgust toward them for doing it.

How on earth has this been botched? Delphine by all accounts had a father who is among the top ten wealthiest people in Belgium.

Second, if the DM is correct and Delphine is moved into the line of succession, it means that other people will be bumped down and of course, there will be a huge amount of resentment against Delphine among the legitimately born siblings. Who likely dislike her already.

*puts flame suit on* At the time, Delphine's mother was (and is) a Baroness and had a long term affair, meanwhile Delphine allegedly had a lot of Albert's attention and bonded better than with his legitimate heirs. Then Paola agreed to Bedouin's orders that they reconcile and leave their lovers and reconcile and clean up their lives. During this time, Delphine was raised by Mr. Boel who gave her the best of everything. Frankly, I don't see how she had it hard. Suddenly she goes ape and demands more. A place/relationship with the royal family, money, a place in the succession. Then during the initial blitz she ends up calling one of the royals autistic or some nonsense and calms down, but then resurfaces with this.

I cannot imagine what on earth prompted this and second, she is indeed throwing huge rocks through her own windows, sabotaging her life.

As for the succession, if the European court pushes for Delphine to be in the line of succession, then yes, it sets a precedent for an international court of law to end up changing the way the succession is decided in regards to illegitimate children. This might decide future cases where the illegitimate children of mistresses of royals end up having a right to the personal fortunes of their biological fathers and a place in the legitimate succession, then it may well be that this changes the royal game.

It also means that Sovereign nations will face serious meddling and interference within their own nations from foreign legal courts.

AristoCat, when I said the situation had been botched what I meant that it had been allowed to drag on in public for far too long. I think Albert and his team have mishandled things.

Delphine might look unstable, vindictive etc...but the former King of the Belgians looks dishonorable. To me at least, that's a lot worse.

As far as illegitimate children's rights, in Monaco it has already been announced years ago that young Alexandre Coste Grimaldi will have a share in Albert's massive personal fortune when Albert dies. I assume that means big sister Jazmin will too.

Last edited:
Yes of course; yet, thing is, that at what point is this going to end? Albert isn't the king anymore, he's the ex-king and so now Philippe has to deal with this mess.

Delphine by all accounts had a father who is among the top ten wealthiest people in Belgium.

No; he is not her father. It would seem that her father is/was the King of the Belgians.

Second, if the DM is correct and Delphine is moved into the line of succession, it means that other people will be bumped down and of course, there will be a huge amount of resentment against Delphine among the legitimately born siblings. Who likely dislike her already.

Then she has nothing to lose in that regard. :cool: If they resent anyone, they should resent Albert. Delphine was not responsible for being conceived, and I cannot blame her at all for wanting to be acknowledged again by the father who acknowledged her for many years and then turned his back on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom