Delphine Boël, daughter of King Albert II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What baffles me is how anyone who watched the first part of the interview with Sybille de Sélys Longchamps could come away with intensified negative feelings towards Delphine Boël. Delphine *never* appears on the camera (except in photos that her mother has released which show the Baroness and her daughter with the now King Albert). Very strange.

Furthermore, around a million people watched the first installation of the programme, so it will indeed be interesting to see how many tune in for the second part.

Last edited:
Yeah. Who told you that, you were there?

No, but then either were you! Delphine said that in the very first interview she gave after the author outed her. She said she called him for help and he not only told her he didn't care about the media chasing her, he would not help and she should never call again, with a slam of the phone. Very, very classy of a man to treat his own flesh and blood that way. she was being chased by the media because of his actions and he could care less! There was never a contradiction from the court regarding her statement. Considering how happy they are to deny everything else, I will go with the public statement.

It was not a dinner, but an expo. It was not prince Philippe who did ask this, did he? So you can't blame him, or Albert.[\Quote]
Mistranslation in English then, they said dinner in the English papers. Do you really think the palace had NOTHING to do with her suddenly being uninvited from an event she was invited but did not seek an invitation to? Suddenly unwelcome and you actually believe that no one had her uninvited when she was told it would be an embarrassment? As if she had the plague or was a murderer. She is the victim here.

Let's be very honest, nobody would ever be interested in her art if she was not king Albert's presumed child. So yes, there's discrimination, but only positive IMHO. And in some point, I do understand Jacques Boël.

Yes, please let's DO be honest! She was actually living and working as such BEFORE she was drug out into the open by the author. At that point no one knew. I see nothing positive in the way she is being treated by the palace, the kings apologists or the people, including Boel who are acting as if she should be ashamed and hide because she is somehow unworthy due to the sins of her parents!

BANG! Bad information, check your info and try again.
Paola was not a saint, but she was Albert's wife BEFORE Sybille came and cheated ON HER HUSBAND with a MARRIED GUY . So not a Saint Sybille either.

Are you a friend of Delphines or what?

Bang? Really? I see more problems with your statements, honestly. Are you one of the King's friends? Unless you sit in his office I doubt seriously you know more than anyone posting. The news is international, we all read and see the same things. No one nation has more knowledge anymore. The Internet is global now.

I certainly never accused any of the four 'adults' of sainthood. They were ALL married. THEY ALL broke their vows. They should be the ones who should reap the consequences, Delphine and her child (like when they speak of Phillipe and hurt his children, the same is true on the other side) are the one being punished. They are not pariahs! The parents should be embarrassed and asked not to show their face, not the innocent party, Delphine!!

She better never had done this tv-documentaire. Now we all know she's just a "crazy, frustrated old woman, jealous because she never was a queen" (I just quoted a totally anti-monarchist relative )

Delphine was not interviewed at all for this. Her mother was. Since Phillipe is not to blame for his father, how is Delphine to blame for what her mother says in an interview? Pot, please meet kettle (or bang or whatever, you wish). If the King had done the right thing with his child, the "crazy, frustrated old woman" would never have been on any tv.

She, by the way never asked to be Queen. Delphine has also never asked for a title. She asked for her name to be cleared, to put a stop to people like you claiming she is crazy or delusional or not his child. She asks this because the palace has smeared her, Albert in particular, and by association her future children and heirs. She deserves the basic human dignity of knowing who she is and not having to hide and be treated as if she should be shamed of her birth. She had no choice in the matter.

Belgium is a small country and Albert still holds a lot of cards. Doors all over will be closed as long as the palace treats her badly because people will want favor with the king and lack courage to stand for what is right lest they be treated like she and his son Laurent!! The only way to do that is seek TRUTH. Obviously, the palace is afraid of that.

Last edited:
Oh..stop fighting..over those losers Albert and Sybillie and Paola.. All three of them silly jerks
Now tell me..the court case is gonna be solved by end of 2014, right?
So if she is recognised, and if by chance Philippe, repenting for his father's mistakes, creates her Princess of Belgium, without any place in succession..she can officially start representing belgium, right..
Maybe at the coronation of future CharlesIII and Camilla, and other future European monarchs, we ll have Princess Dephine Boel of Belgium.. Isnt it a good idea?
How will the Belgium people receive this hypothetical situation?

She can't be made a Princess of Belgium, because her parents weren't married. She will still be a natural daughter.

Now tell me..the court case is gonna be solved by end of 2014, right? So if she is recognised, and if by chance Philippe, repenting for his father's mistakes, creates her Princess of Belgium, without any place in succession..she can officially start representing belgium, right..
Maybe at the coronation of future CharlesIII and Camilla, and other future European monarchs, we ll have Princess Dephine Boel of Belgium.. Isnt it a good idea?

No, it's a bad idea; Philippe has nothing to repent on and it's up to Albert to do the repenting, that is, what he owes her. After this documentary and the other outlandish accusations, she deserves only what the law will see her as entitled to and nothing more.

How will the Belgium people receive this hypothetical situation?

Probably not well since Delphine and her mother are making the RF (and by proxy the nation) into a laughingstock.

Sybille de Sélys Longchamps and Delphine Boël have not made the Royal Family into a laughingstock.

King Albert and his advisers have created the current situation by not handling this affair and the private citizens involved in the proper manner.

She can't be made a Princess of Belgium, because her parents weren't married. She will still be a natural daughter.

"Natural daughter"..Its on this forum I am probably seeing this word for the first time..Is it a more "modern" way of calling an illegitemate child?
Because every child is a natural child right..There is nothing like an artificial child..maybe surrogates..

"Natural daughter"..Its on this forum I am probably seeing this word for the first time..Is it a more "modern" way of calling an illegitemate child?
Because every child is a natural child right..There is nothing like an artificial child..maybe surrogates..

It's not actually a modern term, although you do have the definition right. The OED dates the term back to at least the 15th century. The word "natural" used to be a word for mistress, so the natural child would be the child of the natural.

Yes, please let's DO be honest! She was actually living and working as such BEFORE she was drug out into the open by the author. At that point no one knew. I see nothing positive in the way she is being treated by the palace, the kings apologists or the people, including Boel who are acting as if she should be ashamed and hide because she is somehow unworthy due to the sins of her parents!
Oh, because she has some piece of art without a crown, the word ****, the word king or the belgian flag?
Bang? Really? I see more problems with your statements, honestly. Are you one of the King's friends? Unless you sit in his office I doubt seriously you know more than anyone posting. The news is international, we all read and see the same things. No one nation has more knowledge anymore. The Internet is global now.
You have two post, both about Delphine, act like you do know better than us... so that's why I asked. I have a few more posts, and unlike you in different forums. I didn't wanted to attack you, just ask.

And to be honest, yes, I do know things that a lot of people do not. That's one of the benefits of living in the country of the story actually happened and where you can talk to people who saw things, being related with some families, etc.

You said Baudouin said that divorce equals abdication and that's why Paola fought for her marriage.
1) Sybille said the divorce paper were ready and about to be sent.
2) Albert was never expected to reign. Everyone (including Albert and Boudouin) tought that Philippe would be the next king. But Boudouin died too early, and he wasn't prepared well enough yet.
3) People do fall in love again, that happens. People might see their fault, especially when finalizing a divorce, and want to try again. There are millions of love stories where it happened. Why not Paola and Albert?
You know how they went back together, do you? It happened at a bal. They are all written over again in books and biographies. Then Astrid initiated them in catholic groups, etc.

Her mother was interviewed, right. But then Delphine has her own implication in this affair. I do not hate Delphine, it's okay to want to seek the truth. It's not okay if her mother wants to steal the show and say everything she wants for Delphine's sake. She clearly takes profit of this history, and yes, sometimes what people do has repercutions on other people. That's sad.
If the King had done the right thing with his child, the "crazy, frustrated old woman" would never have been on any tv.
Yeaaah, let me seriously doubt about that one.
And then, it's not like she was abandonned and never had a father. She had one, Jacques Boël.
Belgium is a small country and Albert still holds a lot of cards. Doors all over will be closed as long as the palace treats her badly because people will want favor with the king and lack courage to stand for what is right lest they be treated like she and his son Laurent!!
How he treated Laurent. That's quite funny actually. You should reread all the items of the forum about Laurent. Just to see who treats who badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can tell of her upbringing, she had Jacques and a wealthy stepfather who raised her in plenty, so I don't know why on earth she would think of herself as completely and unconditionally deprived.

So why be so bitter about Albert and vicious to Philippe?

This is heading to an ugly climax, I know that much.

This thread is unpleasant for the Belgians members of the board.
Please know the Belgian Law :
1. Delphine has an official Father and may NOT have two official Fathers
2. King Philippe MAY NOT recognize a sister
This is now in the hand of their lawyers and mainly in the hand of Mr Jacques Boel's lawyer, He is great and successful Belgian business man " un capitaine d'industrie", he did not deserve this ugly situation.

I wonder how Jacques feels seeing a woman he raised as his own, happily and willingly pretty much throw all these years back in his face as his daughter determinedly disowns him in her determination to be recognized as the daughter of a king.

2. King Philippe MAY NOT recognize a sister
This is now in the hand of their lawyers and mainly in the hand of Mr Jacques Boel's lawyer, He is great and successful Belgian business man " un capitaine d'industrie", he did not deserve this ugly situation.
THANK YOU ! As a Belgian member I thank you !!!!

I wonder how Jacques feels seeing a woman he raised as his own, happily and willingly pretty much throw all these years back in his face as his daughter determinedly disowns him in her determination to be recognized as the daughter of a king.
Jaques Boel doesn't seem to be too impressed by Delphine's actions. His lawyer stated that he doesn't intend to renounce paternity. Agree with Maria-Olivia, he doesn't deserve to be bashed like this on tv.

As for Sybille, she really shot herself in the foot by giving this interview. She intended to help Delphine this way, but she sure has failed.

@ Laurent: It was Laurent's lawyer who said Laurent could provide the DNA sample, not Laurent himself. Laurent's lawyer is a notorious attention seeker who has done statements like this before and nothing happened in the end. The press contacted Laurent and he replied he will do nothing that will put pressure on his relationship with Philippe. It was the second time that Laurent was contacted by the press after Philippe took over. And he basically said the same both times. He stressed that he has a good relationship with the palace again now, that he wants to keep it this way and that he will fully support his brother. Today he and Claire will attend a gala and the press release explicitly mentioned that Laurent and Claire are there as stand-in of the king and the queen. There was a real effort to make Laurent a part of the team again. Good for them, let's hope it stays this way. And I'm pretty sure that if Laurent has to chose between Delphine and his dotation he will chose the latter.

Often, unpleasant things must be discussed in order that they be brought to light and rectified. If it is unpleasant for the people of Belgium, I am sure it is equally so for Delphine.

Albert and Paola fell back in love at a ball. It does not matter. A criminal often feels guilty and will profess their new self as changed. They still committed the crimes and must pay for their actions. That includes righting any wrongs that came of their acts.

Delphine is here, she is human. She is entitled to basic human dignity of her name and reputation. I still can not fathom how it is okay for Delphine to be vilified for her mother's actions in the interview but Phillipe must not be tainted by this because he is innocent of his father's actions. You say she must pay because she clearly takes "profit from this story." I see no profit in what is being said about her. If either side must suffer from repercussions then it is all. DELPHINE WAS NOT INTERVIEWED. She is not responsible for her mother's well intentioned but poorly advised interview that she obviously gave from a place of anger to defend her child. She deserves basic dignity and justice for what has been done and is still being done to her and her reputation. That is after all, the legacy you leave behind.

As far as Boel being successful...that does not make him any less or more worthy of this situation. Being rich and successful (or not so) in Delphine's case does not make you any more or less worthy of being a victim. Delphine is also not deserving of this situation it is not of her own making. I have not seen anything Delphine has said against him. She said he disowned her when she displeased the palace by admitting Albert was her father biologically. How did he suddenly become the only victim?

Boel is not her father. If he loved her, he would be behind her the entire way. Where was he when Albert was helping raise her? Why did Albert and not he visit her when she was hospitalized after finding out the truth?

It is exactly because of the actions taken by others, where media chased her, authors dragged her name out, etc that gives her the right to clear her name. Even now, you admit to going on other sites to discuss her. Has she no rights to be vindicated? If not for herself but for her child?

Last, about her career as an artist. It doesn't matter if you personally liked her work before the media chased her and outed her. She was pursuing her own life and dream. That is art. Your personal opinion does not make her not an artist or mean that now her art is only worthy because of the scandal.

There was a very well written piece by a British Peer about the law regarding children who are born outside of marriage. I wish I could still find it. It rightly pointed out that at some point a case will be put forth to the world court about the unfair treatment of a child in inheriting or being given the name of their parent. It also pointed out that they would probably win and it would have repercussions all over Europe. Delphine may be that case.

Many countries are beginning to move into the modern era and treating all children fairly regardless d their parents legal situation. They are after all, innocent. France recently made illegitimate children equal heirs in their parents estate (why Albert of Monaco must equally share his personal fortune with his children). In France, if two parents agree (or are forced by paternity suits) to have their names On the birth documents, they are considered legitimate.

I am sorry that so many feel distaste for this in Belgium. Unfortunately, this is not something that should be swept under the carpet. All Albert has to do is agree to the test and clear her name. She is not asking for a state salary (unlike his other children). She is not asking for titles or a place in the succession. She is asking her parents and extended family to do the right thing by her and her child. As long as the palace is against her she will be treated poorly, along with her child.

Last edited:

I wonder how Delphine feels about the man who raised her disowning her for telling the truth about her birth father. She did not rush out seeking the media. The media stalked her after the boom about Paola came out. He should have been and should be supporting her if he loved her so. He is not. Is he not throwing it back in her face? Where was he when Albert was 'helping to raise' Delphine?

I certainly do not see her happily throwing anything at him. She is not attacking Boel. This is about the actions of her mother and father.

Last edited:
Is the duo bashing Jaques Boel also?
Yes. In a nutshell: He is portrayed as infertile fool with a bad character and an ugly nose. Sybille mentioned many intimate details of theirrelationship that he certainly didn[FONT=&quot][/FONT]t want to see on tv.

this thread is unpleasant for the belgians members of the board.
Please know the belgian law :
1. Delphine has an official father and may not have two official fathers
2. King philippe may not recognize a sister
this is now in the hand of their lawyers and mainly in the hand of mr jacques boel's lawyer, he is great and successful belgian business man " un capitaine d'industrie", he did not deserve this ugly situation.

Amen!!!!!!!

Booing as Newbie you should read the other threads of the Royal Forums and see the way they are written in a correct and short way !

Did Sybille actually say "he is a infertile tool, bad man, etc" or is that your interpretation?

Again, there is no duo here. Delphine was not interviewed. Sybille, her words and actions reflect on her alone. Her choices in life are not controlled by Delphine. Both are grown adults.

Sybille is no saint but Boel can not claim no knowledge. Albert was helping to raise his 'daughter'? When Delphine found out she was hospitalized with anorexia and the King visited her there. If these things are the truth then what beef has Boel for Delphine telling the truth?

If this is so unpleasant to all the Belgians why not attack the persons responsible? Sybille, Albert and Paola. I do not understand how anyone can put Sybille's words as coming from Delphine. Is your King responsible for his father?

I wonder what this will mean for Delphine; if she has Jacques as her official father, that might prevent Delphine from getting Albert to be forced to recognize her in any way.

I wonder how Delphine feels about the man who raised her disowning her for telling the truth about her birth father.

And? He supposedly disowned her after she started pursuing this mission to have (now former) King Albert recognize her in an official manner. Jacques raised her and supported her financially and gave her his name and life. If I were Boel I would work at remaining her official father and I would certainly not want to support her anymore if she is so determined to not be his daughter.

She is not determined to be anyone's daughter. She just is. You do not chose your biology. She wants her identity and a clear name. Adopted children go out and seek their birth parents frequently. That does not mean they are throwing their love and years of support away.

Last edited:
I understand that aspect, clearly; yet, officially/legally she is Boel's daughter. That won't be easy to change, especially if he refuses to give up his legal status as father.

Boel disowned her, may not be legal. Perhaps he feels Sybille tricked him. Did he find the truth late and have the same feelings as Delphine? If he refuses, that would be admirable and Delphine deserves a father who wants her. I doubt that is the case, unfortunately.

Did Sybille actually say "he is a infertile tool, bad man, etc" or is that your interpretation?
Yes, she said these things. She also mentions how Delphine reacted when Sybille told her the truth "Phheww. I don't get the big nose and the bad character of Jaques Boel." Fool was my summary of her description how she tricked her husband into believing Delphine was his child and how he held on the idea that he was Delphines father while he could know that he wasn't. She said only unflattering things about Boel, not one nice word of gratitude for him, while he provided financial support, gave her daughter his name and put up appearances to make things work.

Delphine will get a share either way, but pursuing paternity acknowledgement has just brought her a lot of pain and unfavorable notoriety. She's disowned and Jacques feels betrayed by his wife and the woman he raised and supported as his daughter.

For all we know Jacques may want to be her father and be her official father, but apparently this isn't enough for Delphine. I hope she knows what she's doing. I wonder if Jacques will refuse to renounce his official paternity, which means that it would prevent Delphine from having Albert declared her official father, which means that no matter what the DNA says, she is not going to be recognized as Albert's legal issue and therefore won't be entitled to anything from Albert or the Belgian RF.

I wonder if Delphine will pressure Jacques to renounce his official status as father, which might turn into a very nasty fight since Boel might end up refusing out of spite, just to hurt Delphine as he himself has been hurt, first by seeing Delphine reject him in favor of a higher status potential father and then by Sybilline and then watching this whole thing unravel.

Last edited:

She said it.

If this is so unpleasant to all the Belgians why not attack the persons responsible? Sybille, Albert and Paola. I do not understand how anyone can put Sybille's words as coming from Delphine. Is your King responsible for his father?

Because, well, no offense, but until proven otherwise she's not King Alberts daughter.
And where is Queen Paola responsible for Delphine?

Again, there is no duo here. Delphine was not interviewed. Sybille, her words and actions reflect on her alone. Her choices in life are not controlled by Delphine. Both are grown adults.
People are not blind. And they have seen enough of Delphine over the years to form an opinion. Delphine has made her parentage integral part of her art and marketing. There are ppl who pay for her overpriced art because they think its nice to have a piece of work from Albert's daughter. And there are ppl who take sides with Albert. All legitimate imo, everyone makes choices.
And it's not only Sybille talking to the media, Delphine has given many interviews in Belgium and abroad and she has written a book on her father. The media surely courts her more than they hunt her. She gets tv time and press attention whenever she has vernissages or designs stuff like official Coca Cola bins. And even more so, for ex in January the palace has spread photographs on occasion of Mathildes 40th birthday. The next week Delphine had a TV team following her to a photostudio in Paris to get the same pictures done as Mathilde had. There she was talking about her resemblance with Albert and so on. No other young artist in Belgium gets so much attention than she does. She is also part of Brussles upper crust and attends many high society events in Brussels and Knokke. Here she is posing with the Belgian foreign minister.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Looks like the discrimination is really widespread. ;) Alberts lawyer also mentioned that he intervened when Delphine had difficulties. All we ever get to hear are the things Sybille and Delphine tell. They count on the fact that the royal family will not react and when Alberts lawyer talked to the press they were unhappy of course.

Sure, being the illegitimate daughter of Albert has negative sides, but so has being the legitimate child of Albert. C'est la vie. And here I say it: Delphine and her mother just come across as spoiled rich kids who scream blue murder if they don't get their way. My opinion and my impression of them.
I think the majority of the Belgians just want Albert to recognize his daughter to make this circus stop, they get tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom