80th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V and Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Me too! I like seeing them hang out together in all their regalia. All the weddings of the direct Heirs for this generation have taken place, the last one was Luxembourg in 2012 and that was also the last time there was this big of a get together for all of them.

The farewell banquet for Queen Beatrix, the Investiture of the new King, the King's Water Pageant and the banquet/ball afterwards plus the palace brunch on the third day did attract a whole fleet of royals to Amsterdam. From Camilla to Mozah. From Masako of Japan to Sophie of Liechtenstein. From Albert of Monaco to Vajiralongkorn of Thailand. Etc. This was 29 April - 1 May 2013.
:)

Last edited:
I'm tearing up again - amazing speech by Norway's beloved monarch and his Queen.

Edit: The King and Queen are thanking each other and the people.

Last edited:
I believe Princess Charlene of Monaco has been in South Africa over the last week or so for charitable work related to her foundation..just to justify her absence :)

No she's been back a while now. Saw her on TV last week watching football in Monaco.

The birthday song and cake from children.

Edit: Entertainment in the opera.

Edit: Interview with the Queen to be aired soon on NRK1.

Edit: NRK is looking back on the King's 70th birthday in 2007.

Last edited:
I'm tearing up again - amazing speech by Norway's beloved monarch and his Queen.

Edit: The King and Queen are thanking each other and the people.

Warm and fun and the same time. They are indeed a thankful for their lives, family and friends and for the support from the Norwegian people.

I have to say to say that my respect and admiration for the King and Queen have increased a lot during these days.

Continuation of posts 443: The actress Hege Schøyen (Who spoke to the king in 2007 for the 70th) is talking to NRK1

Edit: NRK is looking back on her hilarious speech from 2007 again.

Edit: NRK is looking back on the entertainments from earlier tonight.

Edit: More entertainments.

Last edited:
Following the live broadcast, I see that many of the royals, not the reigning monarchs and spouses, but the other seems to be seated next to their partner, example:

Haakon next to Mette-Marit
Frederik next to Mary
Carl Philip next to Sofia

Not often you see this happen on royal gatherings.

Following the live broadcast, I see that many of the royals, not the reigning monarchs and spouses, but the other seems to be seated next to their partner, example:

Haakon next to Mette-Marit
Frederik next to Mary
Carl Philip next to Sofia

Not often you see this happen on royal gatherings.

I noticed that too.

Interview with the Queen on NRK1 now.

Edit: They are talking about art.

Edit: They are talking about the Queen's school prize.

Edit: And the grandchildren and their life on school.

Edit: They talk about what advice she can give Mette-Marit.

Edit: She is being asked about her role.

Last edited:
The Interview is now over.

Edit: They are going to look at a fireworks display in the rain.

Last edited:
The farewell banquet for Queen Beatrix, the Investiture of the new King, the King's Water Pageant and the banquet/ball afterwards plus the palace brunch on the third day did attract a whole fleet of royals to Amsterdam. From Camilla to Mozah. From Masako of Japan to Sophie of Liechtenstein. From Albert of Monaco to Vajiralongkorn of Thailand. Etc. This was 29 April - 1 May 2013.
:)

Thanks Duc, I had forgotten that. :)

Watch - NRK live streem:
https://www.nrk.no/nyheter/kongepare...ing-1.13508862

They drink coffee inside the opera - NRK is looking back on the prime minister's speech from earlier tonight.

Edit: Surprise for the King and Queen when they return to the palace - candles on the palace square.

Edit: They are coming out.

Edit: They are watching the fireworks display now.

Last edited:
Every single one is a winner imo. :flowers: Mary's is a standout. But they are all beautiful. Who is that in the gorgeous green gown? And Sofia looks so cute in the lacy wedding-cake gown. :p Wonder if it's a girl?

Princess Märtha Louise of Norway?

They are arriving at the palace - and the broadcast will end.

As I wrote in this post, this will be my last post for a long time:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f187/member-updates-and-personal-news-41339-8.html#post1983763

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread (which I started back in December).

Thanks for all your posts, with translated articles, historical flashbacks and facts, information about the celebrations and the live feed these days.

It has been truly wonderful and invaluable!

thanks for all your posts, with translated articles, historical flashbacks and facts, information about the celebrations and the live feed these days.

It has been truly wonderful and invaluable!

amen!!!!!!

There is a difference between dressing up (with tiaras and orders) for an official state function (e.g. a state visit) and doing so for events like birthdays. In some countries like the UK or maybe Spain, the latter would probably attract a considerable amount of criticism, whereas the former is not only acceptable, but actually expected.

As far as weddings are concerned, the tradition in the English-speaking countries is to have weddings in the morning , which requires morning suit as dress code. White-tie attire is simply incompatible with English weddings.

Oh, I wasn't referring to dressing up and wearing tiaras, although I know someone else on this thread has mentioned that they wished the British royals held with more of a tiara dress code than a hat one. I'm talking more about how the BRF does things like send a single family ambassador to continental royal events that will be glitzy (such as this birthday celebration) when so many other royal families treat those events as a family gathering and send 5 or 6. Or how the BRF keep many events like birthday celebrations or christenings rather private, while the Scandinavians let cameras in (such as the way we have been able to watch last night's dinner and hear the speeches). There's a different decision about where the wall is between private and public, and I'm just saying that where that wall is built must be at least in part a reflection of a nation's culture and how much the general public wants to see of their royals living a royal lifestyle.

Every single one is a winner imo. :flowers: Mary's is a standout. But they are all beautiful. Who is that in the gorgeous green gown? And Sofia looks so cute in the lacy wedding-cake gown. :p Wonder if it's a girl?

This is a group fashion comment, so apologies. Mr Stewart seemed to group the lades with floral sprinkle gowns and with tiered gowns here. It makes on believe there was a memo of some sort...

Thanks for linking! I love that picture - it's so nice to se Mabel here, with all the other royals, and so close to her mother-in-law.

It's a lovely picture, isn't it? Beatrix looked a little wan in the pictures I saw at the banquet and I was worried that she was ill. Nice to see both her & Mabel looking happy and well.

What a pleasure to see all these wonderful outfits.... the best being Maxima's I think !

I've enjoyed watching the royal celebrations in Norway this weekend, and the ones in the Netherlands a short time ago, in part because I can't shake the feeling that we're at the tail end of the time period in which these sorts of grand, all out celebrations will occur. As even the most beloved, seemingly secure monarchies start having to account to the public for every penny they spend, (and this will happen to all of the European monarchies, IMO, Monaco maybe being the exception), I think that royal families will start to be seen as a more functional apparatus of the state, with all the limitations that entails. Some of them won't survive the transition. Others will adapt successfully and that means things will look very different in the coming years.

I also think the generation of royals who are now new monarchs or will be soon have always demanded much more of a private life and fought for less and less public exposure as students, as young adults, and now as middle aged parents of school aged children themselves. They've also almost all made a point of how they want to be "normal" in every way they can - the normal school life they had, the normal people they married, the normal way they supposedly function in their private lives, the normal childhood they want for their kids. On a personal level, I sympathize with them very much. On an institutional level, it's difficult to justify any sort of tax payer funded grandeur for a person a country firstly doesn't feel they know well and secondly wants to be, and more and more really is, just like a normal, albeit, wealthy citizen.

Someone asked whether the royal guests bring their adjutants and LiWs.
They do. I recognized Victoria's adjutant among them.

Back
Top Bottom