80th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V and Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: See post 34/35 where I posted many pictures and went through the events, guestlists and tv coverage of previous royal celebrations in Norway.

The palace is expected to release the guestlist at any time now.

Confirmation from Netherland

King Willem Alexander, Queen Maxima, Princess Beatrix, Prince Constantijn and Princess Mabel
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/agend...koning-harald-en-koningin-sonja-van-noorwegen

Their Majesties The King and Queen receive deputations on the occasion of their 80th anniversaries (11:00) - live stream: https://www.nrk.no/video/PS*f8392

Edit: Rewind in the video and watch when the leadership in parliament was at the palace. It will soon be live again when the government comes.

Edit: Live now.

Edit: And now NRK was thrown out again.

Edit: The Supreme Court will arrive at the palace shortly. NRK will be live again.

Edit: Supreme Court arrives - live now.

Edit: The Sami Parliament of Norway arrives at the palace shortly.

Edit: The county governors arrives at the palace shortly.

Edit: The diplomatic corps arrives at the palace shortly.

Edit: The armed forces arrives.

Edit: The Norwegian church arrives shortly.

Edit: Co-operation Council for Faith and Life arrive at the palace - live now.

Edit: Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities arrive at the palace.

Edit: The live broadcast is over.[/QUOT

Photos from the morning

Gratulanter til Kongeparet - kongehuset.no

Queen Margrethe

https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/5/9/90ba11e9-c4c3-49b8-83ef-5c2de90c5eaf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW
Willem-Alexander, Máxima, Beatrix, Constantijn and Mabel to attend on both days.

An really impressive guestlist.

Constantijn only on May 9th, Juan Carlos, Sofia, Joachim and Marie only on May 10th (as we already did know).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so pleased there is a British representative. I am surprised only one member is going as 10 years ago Anne, Tim and Edward all went but they both have engagements on 9th and 11th. Nice to see Sophie attending this time though and she's quite capable of going alone and speaking to her friends.

I'm impressed by the list and look forward to seeing all the photos.

I'm so pleased there is a British representative. I am surprised only one member is going as 10 years ago Anne, Tim and Edward all went but they both have engagements on 9th and 11th. Nice to see Sophie attending this time though and she's quite capable of going alone and speaking to her friends.

+ Lady Elizabeth Anson, the queen's cousin

+ Lady Elizabeth Anson, the queen's cousin

Lady Elizabeth Anson's mother, if I am not mistaken, was married to one of King Harald V's first cousins, hence the coonnection. Can anyone clarify that ?

I translated this some days ago, but the palace have now provided us with an english version: Join the celebration! - The Royal House of Norway

The events:

May 9th:

Their Majesties The King and Queen receive deputations on the occasion of their 80th anniversaries (11:00). Televised by TV2 News Channel.

The celebration will begin on the Palace Square at 5:30 pm on 9 May. There will be a drill demonstration by His Majesty The King’s Guard, and singing and music by the choral group Soul Children. What will be served? “Crown” ice-cream drumsticks, of course, as long as they last! Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

Their Majesties The King and Queen greet people the Palace Square from the Palace Balcony. Many of their Royal guests will also be in attendance (18:30). Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

Their Majesties The King and Queen host a gala dinner at the Royal Palace on the occasion of their 80th anniversaries. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise and Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be in attendance (20:00). Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

May 10th:

Their Majesties The King and Queen invites their guests to minicruise and lunch on board the Royal Yacht Norway. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be present (11.00).

It will be possible to see the King and Queen and their royal guests on their way to the Norwegian Royal Yacht Norge. They will depart from Honnørbrygga dock at the City Hall pier on 10 May at 11:00 am. Televised by TV2 News Channel.

Their Majesties The King and Queen attend a banquet hosted by the Government in honour of their 80th anniversaries at the Norwegian Opera and Ballet. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be in attendance (19:00).

The Royal Family with their guests will travel in a motorcade from the Royal Palace, down the entire length of Karl Johans gate to Oslo Central Railway Station square and over to the Oslo Opera House.

His Majesty The King’s Guard will head the procession. They will march from the Royal Palace to the Oslo Opera House at 6:15 pm. At 6:30 pm the royal guests from Norway and abroad will drive behind them.

There will be singing and music along the route. A youth choir will sing at University Square, the Høybråten school band will play at the intersection of Kirkegata and Karl Johans gate, and the Ullevål school marching band will play at the railway station square.

Karl Johans gate will be closed to traffic from 5:00 pm–7:00 pm. This is important to keep in mind if you are planning to be in the area during this time.

The royal guests will arrive at the Oslo Opera House beginning at 6:40 pm, and the King and Queen will arrive last, at 7:00 pm. They will be welcomed by the host for the evening, Prime Minister Erna Solberg. There will be dancing and music outside the opera house. One thousand spectators will be allowed onto the roof of the opera house beginning at 4:00 pm. Participants must be in place by 5:30 pm, and everyone must go through a security check. Details are available on the Facebook event published by the Office of the Prime Minister (see list of links). Later in the evening, following the gala banquet, there will be a fireworks display outside the opera house at 10:30 pm. Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

Last edited:
Lady Elizabeth Anson's mother, if I am not mistaken, was married to one of King Harald V's first cousins, hence the coonnection. Can anyone clarify that ?

Yes, Elizabeth's stepfather was Prince George Valdemar if Denmark. His father Prince axel was a grandson of Christian IX. But his mother was princess Margaretha of Sweden. Margaretha was sister to Haralds mother Martha.

I think Lady Elizabeth is a personal friend. She usually organizes parties for royals and meets them regularly.

Den kongelige gjestelisten for festene i Oslo 9. & 10. mai | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
''An really impressive guestlist! "I am really impressed by the number of foreign royals and heads of states who come to Oslo to celebrate our King and Queen," says Kjell Arne Totland, who on Tuesday morning at 0900, will be in the studio together with the palace's information manager Marianne Hagen to talk about the big celebrations. At 09:45 Totland is live from the palace square in Good morning Norway. (Tv2)

I translated this some days ago, but the palace have now provided us with an english version: Join the celebration! - The Royal House of Norway

The events:

May 9th:

Their Majesties The King and Queen receive deputations on the occasion of their 80th anniversaries (11:00). Televised by TV2 News Channel.

The celebration will begin on the Palace Square at 5:30 pm on 9 May. There will be a drill demonstration by His Majesty The King’s Guard, and singing and music by the choral group Soul Children. What will be served? “Crown” ice-cream drumsticks, of course, as long as they last! Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

Their Majesties The King and Queen greet people the Palace Square from the Palace Balcony. Many of their Royal guests will also be in attendance (18:30). Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

Their Majesties The King and Queen host a gala dinner at the Royal Palace on the occasion of their 80th anniversaries. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise and Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be in attendance (20:00). Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.

May 10th:

Their Majesties The King and Queen invites their guests to minicruise and lunch on board the Royal Yacht Norway. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be present (11.00).

It will be possible to see the King and Queen and their royal guests on their way to the Norwegian Royal Yacht Norge. They will depart from Honnørbrygga dock at the City Hall pier on 10 May at 11:00 am. Televised by TV2 News Channel.

Their Majesties The King and Queen attend a banquet hosted by the Government in honour of their 80th anniversaries at the Norwegian Opera and Ballet. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner will also be in attendance (19:00).

The Royal Family with their guests will travel in a motorcade from the Royal Palace, down the entire length of Karl Johans gate to Oslo Central Railway Station square and over to the Oslo Opera House.

His Majesty The King’s Guard will head the procession. They will march from the Royal Palace to the Oslo Opera House at 6:15 pm. At 6:30 pm the royal guests from Norway and abroad will drive behind them.

There will be singing and music along the route. A youth choir will sing at University Square, the Høybråten school band will play at the intersection of Kirkegata and Karl Johans gate, and the Ullevål school marching band will play at the railway station square.

Karl Johans gate will be closed to traffic from 5:00 pm–7:00 pm. This is important to keep in mind if you are planning to be in the area during this time.

The royal guests will arrive at the Oslo Opera House beginning at 6:40 pm, and the King and Queen will arrive last, at 7:00 pm. They will be welcomed by the host for the evening, Prime Minister Erna Solberg. There will be dancing and music outside the opera house. One thousand spectators will be allowed onto the roof of the opera house beginning at 4:00 pm. Participants must be in place by 5:30 pm, and everyone must go through a security check. Details are available on the Facebook event published by the Office of the Prime Minister (see list of links). Later in the evening, following the gala banquet, there will be a fireworks display outside the opera house at 10:30 pm. Televised by NRK1 and TV2 News Channel.
Do you know if there will be a live stream online for people outside of norway?

i'm a little bit disappointed that prince albert will go solo i was hopping that at least princess caroline will go with him .

Do you know if there will be a live stream online for people outside of norway?
Yes, I have talked to NRK by phone and they said that they thought there will be a live stream that people can watch outside Norway. I will post more information (possible links) about it tomorrow.

I will watch it on TV2 News Channel (because they are best on such things), but one must have a subscription to watch it online, so that's not an alternative for people here.

Oskar Aanmoen @OAanmoen
The #Danish #Royal Yacht "Dannebrog" is on its way to #Oslo. Just now the ship lies between #Gothenburg and #Frederikshavn heading north

Yes, I have talked to NRK by phone and they said that they thought there will be a live stream that people can watch outside Norway. I will post more information (possible links) about it tomorrow.

I will watch it on TV2 News Channel (because they are best on such things), but one must have a subscription to watch it online, so that's not an alternative for people here.
[emoji4] Thank you so much for the info!! Much appreciated!

i'm a little bit disappointed that prince albert will go solo i was hopping that at least princess caroline will go with him .

I am actually disappointed that the Prince of Wales is not attending the gala dinner given that, according to other posters, he has no scheduled events on that day and he seems to be very close to King Harald and Queen Sonja.

I guess there may be some truth after all to the theory that Charles may feel uncomfortable in events where younger European kings are present.

I think it's important to remember the royals don't put importance of age of the participants of the the party when it comes to celebrations like this.

For some odd reasons, the British royals like sending lesser senior royals to events like this.

I think it's important to remember the royals don't put importance of age of the participants of the the party when it comes to celebrations like this.

For some odd reasons, the British royals like sending lesser senior royals to events like this.

Charles used to attend "events like this". He was present at the weddings of the Duke of Brabant, the Prince of Orange, and the Prince of Asturias. He also attended the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands, if I am not mistaken. Since approximately 2005, he has not attended overseas royal gatherings, except for King Willem-Alexander's inauguration in 2013, which he had to attend as the heir to the British throne. Any thoughts why ?

Looking through the Court Circular, many senior members of the BRF have engagements on 9 and 10 May, so they are unable to attend the events. William, Kate and Harry hardly ever attends foreign events, unless it has to do with important state affairs, much to the disappointment of international media.

Charles used to attend "events like this". He was present at the weddings of the Duke of Brabant, the Prince of Orange, and the Prince of Asturias. He also attended the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands, if I am not mistaken. Since approximately 2005, he has not attended overseas royal gatherings, except for King Willem-Alexander's inauguration in 2013, which he had to attend as the heir to the British throne. Any thoughts why ?

It's very understandable when the most senior royals can't attend foreign royal events due to scheduled engagements elsewhere. When this isn't the case, I think the most senior royals should attend.

No surprise from the Windsors, we have gotten used to this behavior over the years.

Nobody from Liechtenstein on the guest list, though I do not believe they have ever been present at previous celebrations in Norway. I am surprised not to see Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan, they always seem to be invited to these occassions. Very few non-reigning royals on the guest list. I think this is one of the first times that Queen Anne-Marie attends such a celebration without her husband.

Last edited:
King Harald has an incredible position here in Norway (as you can see in all the articles I have posted here) and as several commentators say here in Norway, he is without doubt the most popular head of state (along with Elizabeth II) in his own country. And the monarchy has record suport rigth now despite the bad choices of the CP-couple.

I wrote 3 long posts about the personal popularity of Norway's 3 monarchs and their impact on the popularity of the Norwegian monarchy and scandals who have threatened it in the Republic/monarchy thread - read them here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norway-republic-or-monarchy-17117-6.html#post1981079

I also wrote a post where I went through all polls on the Norwegian monarchy - read here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norway-republic-or-monarchy-17117-6.html#post1973364

But as I've written in these two posts:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norway-republic-or-monarchy-17117-6.html#post1962424
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norway-republic-or-monarchy-17117-6.html#post1973448
Norway is a country where the Law of Jante is still very present. And therefore, we will not see thousands of peolpe on the streets tomorrow. It did not happen during the round birthdays of King Olav either. There were a lot of people on the streets during the Silver Wedding Anniversary in 1993 and during the 60th Birthdays in 1997. There were also people at the palace square to see the royal family on the balcony and the fireworks displays late in the evening on February 24, 2007 for the King's 70th birthdays celebrations, but it would be an exaggeration to call it crowds. There were maybe 1000 people.

But we were surprised on January 17th last year for the Silver Jubilee. 40-50 thousand people showed up in the freezing weather. The other times we have seen crowds like that was for King Haakon's 80th birthday in 1952 and the weddings in 1968 and 2001.

Last edited:

Yes I am too no Princess Charlene at yet another tiara opportunity!

Back
Top Bottom