80th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V and Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Denmark the Queen, the CP Couple and (on 10 May only) Prince Joachim&Princess Marie will attend. They will travel and spend the night on their royal yacht Dannebrog.
Fejring af D.M. Kong Harald og Dronning Sonja af Norge | Kongehuset

That means they will stay on Danish territory a good deal of the time and Oslo is only a couple of hours sailing time from Danish territorial waters - so perhaps they will dispense with the Rigsforstander rule again?
Anyway it's considerate, since this means less people the NRF have to accommodate.

ADDED: I didn't think of Benedikte.

Last edited:
Nice to hear that. I like the tradition of the Nordic Head of states gather for this kind of celebrations.
I agree! It is said that the security in Oslo (not surprising) will be enormous. There are also rumors that the King and Queen is to be driven to the opera in an open car.

I agree! It is said that the security in Oslo (not surprising) will be enormous. There are also rumors that the King and Queen is to be driven to the opera in an open car.

Does the Norwegian Royal House still use horse-drawn carriages like in Sweden or Denmark ?

Will the Kings of Spain also be present?

In 2007 I remember that two of King Carl Gustaf's sisters, Princess Desiree and Princess Christina, attended the celebrations as well, as they seems to be close to the Norwegian royal family, and maybe Queen Sonja in particular.

However, this year I don't think that any of them will attend for obvious reasons. Princess Desiree's husband just died, and the funeral will take place 11 May, and Princess Christina is fighting cancer and is not seen very often in public due to this.

i dont think so. The President of Costa Rica will pay an oficial visit to spain on may 8/9. Maybe Sofia and JC will attend-.

Yes, but it is not known how long it will be in Spain, because the President is also going to Netherlands in those days.

Does the Norwegian Royal House still use horse-drawn carriages like in Sweden or Denmark ?
No, that has not been done since Queen Maud lived. Both King Haakon (last part of his reign), King Olav and King Harald have used open cars.

These are the two open cars:

The Iconic A1: The roadmaster from 1939 is perhaps the most famous of the royal cars. This is the car that brought King Haakon and Crown Princess Märtha from Honnørbryggen to the palace on June 7, 1945. It was a gift to Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha from General Motors during their trip to the United States in 1939.

It was last used by King Harald and Queen Sonja from Stiftsgården to Nidarosdomen in Trondheim during the Consecration on June 23, 1991.

Pictures:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Kongens_hjemkomst_7_Juni_1945_OB.F12093b.jpg

http://www.adressa.no/kultur/article11960101.ece/75k7mb/BINARY/w780/IMG_sign2.jpg_2_1_TG4I41K.jpg

A5: This is a Lincoln Continental purchased in April 1966. This is the car used during the wedding between Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja in 1968 - and later at the wedding between Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette Marit in 2001. It was rented for the wedding in 2001 because it had been sold in the meantime. In 2002, the car was purchased back by the Royal Court. The car is still used on official occasions.

Picture:
http://www.royalcourt.no/aim/kongeh...ef0c2d3337f6cd49cf528d8f424f577bb83943151.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Queen Mathilde (and propably King Philippe too) are also attending. According to the court's calendar, Her Majesty will attend Queen Elizabeth competition on the 8th and then again 11th and 12th leaving 9th and 10th in between.

Concours Reine Elisabeth – Violoncelle 2017
08 mai 2017 - 13 juin 2017
Sa Majesté la Reine assistera :
- à des épreuves de qualification (à Flagey à Bruxelles) les lundi 8 mai, jeudi 11 mai et vendredi 12 mai 2017,

From the Netherlands Princess Mabel could be present as Friso was the godson of King Harald.

i dont think so. The President of Costa Rica will pay an oficial visit to spain on may 8/9. Maybe Sofia and JC will attend-.

It is only an official visit and it is likely that the King will receive the President only on Monday. Probably until Friday May 5 will not be known the agenda of the following week.

From Denmark the Queen, the CP Couple and (on 10 May only) Prince Joachim&Princess Marie will attend. They will travel and spend the night on their royal yacht Dannebrog.
Fejring af D.M. Kong Harald og Dronning Sonja af Norge | Kongehuset

That means they will stay on Danish territory a good deal of the time and Oslo is only a couple of hours sailing time from Danish territorial waters - so perhaps they will dispense with the Rigsforstander rule again?
Anyway it's considerate, since this means less people the NRF have to accommodate.

ADDED: I didn't think of Benedikte.

I'm quite sure it will only be our Queen and Crown Prince couple who will travel with Dannebrog. It's only Margrethe, Frederik and Mary who will attend on both 9th and 10th May. Then Joachim and Marie travels the next day (most likely with a plane) as they only participate the 10th May.
So I guess it's okay there is no rigsforstander for one day - just like we saw at Prince Richard's funeral. But that does not matter, I guess. I am quite sure that Princess Benedikte who as often just will be the rigsforstander in the meantime.

Last edited:
From Kjell Arne Totland - translated by me: (much of this has already been mentioned in the statement from the government)
Slik blir feiringen av kongeparet i mai | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
Everything is ready for the national celebration of the 80th birthdays

King Harald and Queen Sonja turn 80 in 2017 - and as with the 60th birthdays in 1997, a large joint birthday celebration with foreign guests will take place.

Twenty years ago, the large official celebration took place in Trondheim in June due to the extensive refurbishment at the Royal Palace.

The celebrations will this time take place in Oslo in May - and as in 1997 there will be a large number of representatives from other European royal houses. Both Kings and Queens, princes and princesses - in large numbers! That's how it happened when the King celebrated his 70th birthday in 2007 too.

As in 2007, the presidential couples from Iceland and Finland is invited - and therefore all the Nordic heads of state will probably be in Oslo on May 9/10th.

On Tuesday 9th of May, most foreign guests arrive in Oslo - and on the same evening the royal couple is hosting a sparkling gala dinner at the Palace - with guests from both the official Norway and from foreign royal houses.
In total, they will have about 200 guests around the tables in the palace's large dining room.

Attire at the gala dinner at the palace is according to the invitation grand galla (white tie) with orders and decorations.
And of course, diadem for the royal ladies!

On Wednesday 10th of May there is lunch for foreign royal guests at K/S Norway in Oslofjorden.

On Wednesday evening, the Government invites to a festmiddag (large dinner) in the Opera - in honor of the royal couple.

As we recall, the 75th birthdays in 2012 was marked with a concert on the Opera roof.
Now the Government invites to a dinner in the large, open opera foyer in the Opera building - with fabulous views over the fjord.

In total, approximately 300 guests will be invited to the dinner - and
Outfit here is according to the invitation, smoking for men and long dress for the ladies.
Kjell Arne Totland sais about the celebrations: An historic and sparkling occasion, which we have not seen in the capital for many years!

Read everything about the celebrations in english here: (I posted this in post 91 as well) https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/celebration-of-the-king-and-queens-80th-birthdays/id2550678/

Last edited:
:previous: I don't know, but Prince Albert was present at some of the events during the King's large birthday celebrations in 2007. (See post 34/35 where I go through the events, guestlists and tv coverage of previous royal celebrations in Norway)

Last edited:
It all sounds as if it's going to be absolutely wonderful, and a feast for royal watchers. Is the BRF going to send someone, anyone, the Wessexes, the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall??

No word. I'd be surprised if Charles and Camilla went. They don't often attend events on the continent on official visits. But they have nothing on schedule.

If the wessexes go it will be short. Edward has events for the ballet on the ninth so they would only be available the second day. Unless Sophie goes alone.

For the King's 70th birthday celebrations in 2007 there was quiet a big british representation with Princess Anne and Tim, Prince Edward and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attending on both days so i would be surprised if nobody attended this time.
Pity that the Liechtenstein's are never invited to norwegian Royal Events.

The BRF is very close to the NRF and has always been represented during royal celebrations in Norway.

And as I wrote in post 34:

Princess Anne and Prince Edward were among the many foreign guests in Norway under the Silver Wedding Anniversary in 1993.

Prince Charles were among the many foreign guests in Norway under the joint 60th Birthday Celebrations in 1997.

Prince Edward, Princess Anne, Timothy Laurence, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were among the many foreign guests in Norway under the King's 70th Birthday in 2007.

Who vill attend:

Charles and Camilla: They are close to the King and Queen, so the possibility exists, but I doubt it.

Anne: Also very close to the King and Queen, but has engagements on both days.

Edward and Sophie: Edward has (as Countessmeout wrote) events on the 9th, so I doubt it.

Duke and Duchess of Gloucester: The Duke has engagements on the 10th, so I doubt it.

I am (as half British) full of admiration for the BRF, but the most important thing for me is that the Danes, Swedes, Finns and Icelanders are coming.

Last edited:
I've been trying to find out if President Niinistö and mrs Haukio are going but haven't found any confirmation yet. Would be surprised if not though.

For the King's 70th birthday celebrations in 2007 there was quiet a big british representation with Princess Anne and Tim, Prince Edward and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attending on both days so i would be surprised if nobody attended this time.
Pity that the Liechtenstein's are never invited to norwegian Royal Events.

Anne and Edward both have multiple events on the cc for the 9th. And Anne and the Duke of Gooucester on the 10th.

Possibly Prince and Princess Michael? Haralds father was Michaels godfather. They often attend events on the continent.

Last edited:
I hope Luxembourg's GD couple or HGD couple (or all 4?) will attend. They've been missing at these big events with fellow royals lately.
Although GD Henri attended Queen Margrethe's birthday, Luxembourg wasn't able to send anyone to CP and Sofia's wedding or King CG's birthday.

Last edited:
I do hope King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend too. They both don't have anything in their official agendas for May 9th and 10th. So it's very possible they will attend too! Now that will be glittering! I'm very looking forward to it!

Looks like Queen Mathilde (and propably King Philippe too) are also attending. According to the court's calendar, Her Majesty will attend Queen Elizabeth competition on the 8th and then again 11th and 12th leaving 9th and 10th in between.

Concours Reine Elisabeth – Violoncelle 2017
08 mai 2017 - 13 juin 2017
Sa Majesté la Reine assistera :
- à des épreuves de qualification (à Flagey à Bruxelles) les lundi 8 mai, jeudi 11 mai et vendredi 12 mai 2017,

King Albert II and King Harald V are first cousins, so maybe Albert and Paola will attend instead of Philippe and Mathilde.

Anne and Edward both have multiple events on the cc for the 9th. And Anne and the Duke of Gooucester on the 10th.

Possibly Prince and Princess Michael? Haralds father was Michaels godfather. They often attend events on the continent.

What about the Prince of Wales ? Does he have any events scheduled on the 9th ?

Last edited:
:previous: King Albert and Queen Paola attended the 60th birthday celebrations in June 1997, but canceled due to illness in 2007 for the King's 70th.

Philippe and Mathilde attended both the King's 70th in February and the Queen's 70th in July.

Charles: No, not as we know!

King Albert and Queen Paola will cancel again because of illness. This time Queen Paola

Back
Top Bottom