70th birthday celebrations of Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
again this time, pictures can be seen at PPE.

such a shame philippe and mathilde already left. seems like sofia and the dukes of lugo decided not to attend finally, perhaps because of the yemen incident with the spanish contingent. how nice it is to see them all again, especially maxima, guillaume and felix. it's also a nice suprise to see marius joined them today.

I must say that Queen Beatrix suddenly looks so much like her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina, with that baggy crossing her shoulder and those wooden walking poles!

No one would say Queen Beatrix is actually one year younger than Queen Sonja....!

But at the other hand, Queen Beatrix is a control freak, is reigning Queen for almost 3 decades and has experienced an exhausting 20 years with the frail and detoriating health of her so beloved late spouse, Prince Claus.

I would say: Queen Beatrix looks her age. Queen Sonja looks unbelievably younger.

Princess Máxima looked sparkling today. Her face is an open book. When she feels good, she beams. But when she is exhausted, she can not hide it and we can read it all in her face.

I like it that the Princess always tries to show her megawatt smile to greet the drained public. It is a heartwarming attitude.

No one escapes the rain in Europe I see, such a pity

Yes...It was raining a lot, but people seems to be getting a lot of fun too. I for one, loves rain...:D

Queen Sonja looks wonderful at her 70's.

Vanesa.

I must say that Queen Beatrix suddenly looks so much like her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina, with that baggy crossing her shoulder and those wooden walking poles!

No one would say Queen Beatrix is actually one year younger than Queen Sonja....!

But at the other hand, Queen Beatrix is a control freak, is reigning Queen for almost 3 decades and has experienced an exhausting 20 years with the frail and detoriating health of her so beloved late spouse, Prince Claus.

I would say: Queen Beatrix looks her age. Queen Sonja looks unbelievably younger.

Princess Máxima looked sparkling today. Her face is an open book. When she feels good, she beams. But when she is exhausted, she can not hide it and we can read it all in her face.

I like it that the Princess always tries to show her megawatt smile to greet the drained public. It is a heartwarming attitude.
So true. Beatrix definitely looks her age - wonder if it has something to do with the fact she's a smoker. Anyhow throw genes into the mix indeed and..voila. I also think the death of Claus, not to mention his long, lonely road of illnesses, all that has got to have affected her big time.

And Maxima is always, when out in public, trying to somehow show spectators that she is aware of them and draw them into the action with a gesture, or a glance, or a smile. Haven't seen anyone do that besides Diana. These two women certainly understand/understood that their status was heavily dependent on the participation and goodwill of 'le peuple' so to speak.

I am really glad to see Marius, he looks like a pro with the crowd and the "royal" wave. He is getting very big and oh so handsome. I wonder will we see the other children of the Princely family?

who are the two men standing behind and to the right (our right, her left) of Martha Louise? I'm guessing the one behind her is Count Jefferson von Pfeil (Princess Alexandra of Berleberg's husband), and on her left is Prince Felix of Luxembourg, is that right?

yes, that's right.

Last edited:
Here's a video of Sonja's Thank-you-Speech during the first day.

Video:
Thank you Speech in English
(by NRK)

I think the speech is lovely and funny, but not her best one.
I was surprised about her "english"... she didn't speak it as fluent as usual and she often looked for the translation of Norwegian words..
Well, I think it's nice she did this speech in english... even if she did much better speeches before...
It sounds like she prepared the Speech in Norwegian, but decided spontaniously to hold it in English.

Yesterday's event:

Gallery by Getty Images

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Last edited:
Looking through the photos at ANP, I love these two of Mette-Marit and Sonja! ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
How sweet! Thank you for this pictures! Thy are so nice.
I didn't know the relationship between Queen Sonja and Princess Mette-Marit is so good. The pictures of Maxima and Queen Beatrix are sweet too!
The Celebartions of the Queen Sonja look like lots of fun!

I was so happy to see Marius at this event. He is wonderful with the crowds and it is so cute to see at ten he isnt too old to hold his step-dads hand. He will be so handsome when he is older.

PPE
PPE
PPE:wub:

Here's a video of Sonja's Thank-you-Speech during the first day.

Video:
Thank you Speech in English
(by NRK)

I think the speech is lovely and funny, but not her best one.
I was surprised about her "english"... she didn't speak it as fluent as usual and she often looked for the translation of Norwegian words..
Well, I think it's nice she did this speech in english... even if she did much better speeches before...
It sounds like she prepared the Speech in Norwegian, but decided spontaniously to hold it in English.

Yesterday's event:

Gallery by Getty Images

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

i agree. i was surprised when i saw the video the first day, as her english doesn't sound very "confident" or correct. she pauses too much to say a sentence and also doubted between a couple of norwegian-english translations. perhaps it was because she said it at the moment and didn't prepare it beforehand? from what she says, it sounds more like a natural speech for which she thought about what she was going to say just minutes before, as she is talking about what they did during the day and so on.

she certainly does look much younger than she is. compared with beatrix and margrethe, all in the same age group, she does look way younger, but again the responsibilities beatrix and margrethe had were much more than sonja, both in terms of being queens in their own right and because (in beatrix's case) being the queen of a bigger country with therefore more responsibilities.

when do the celebrations end? will we get more official pictures?

Nice pictures, a pitty of the weather, rain, rain!!!

i
she certainly does look much younger than she is. compared with beatrix and margrethe, all in the same age group, she does look way younger, but again the responsibilities beatrix and margrethe had were much more than sonja, both in terms of being queens in their own right and because (in beatrix's case) being the queen of a bigger country with therefore more responsibilities
I think saying Sonja had an easy life with little responsibility is steetching it, she has had an up hill battle from day one, or actually 9 years before day 1, she is a control freak and perfectionist, and still she is not really loved, repsected yes, loved like Bratrix and Margrethe, not really I would say (subjectivly of course).

But she does however take extremely good care of herself, if you see the docu you see her jogging up steep hills, her own daughter and daughter in law half her age says they have trouble keeping up with her on her trips (Marius goes with her on her morning walks/runs at Tjøme), she says she does yoga, it has also been written she is very careful with coffe and alcohol, eats carefully, hasn`t smoked in many years, and I guess had a bit of "extra" help on her face, and deff the hair colour is not natural.

Wow much beautiful photo all royal couple come to Queen Sonjas 70th birthday!!! Not come to Queen Sonjas 70th birthday many days his sister-in-law Princess Ragnhild and Erling Lorentzsen??? Not photo on Countess Ruth of Rosenborg and Princess Kristine of Bernadotte on boat???

Not come to Queen Sonjas 70th birthday many days his sister-in-law Princess Ragnhild and Erling Lorentzsen???
Princess Rangild and her husband attended the lunch during the first day of the celebrations!

Queen Sonja, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and King Harald upon arrival to Magero during the celebration of Queen Sonja. Queen Sonja's 70th birthday tour ends at the Royal summer house on Magero island Foto

another "moment" between the in-laws
Mette and Sonja
Mette and Sonja 2 :flowers:

Silvia and carl-Gustav and Maria-teresia
Sonja and harald

Something wrong with Queen Beatrix's knees ?

and more pictures of today

Sonja and Beatrix taking some private photos
Sonja, Harald Beatrix and beatrix' sticks ;)

Source: Polfoto

Thank you for the pictures.

Now that we see Queen Beatrix for three days in a row, with these antique (?) wooden Nordic Walking-sticks (from her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina who had a particular love for Norwegian Fjords ?), I wonder if there is something wrong with The Queen and her knees or something?

:flowers:

Thanks for posting the Seeger-pictures, Paty! :)

Here are more pictures of today
(by ANP)

Swedish Royals
Mette-Marit chatting with Silvia , Victoria is standing right beside them
Princess Victoria - looking like a business woman
Silvia and Carl-Gustav

Ari Behn = Prince Charming :flowers:
Ari Behn kissing Sonja's hand ...
... and hugging her
You can think about Ari whatever you want, but he seems to adore his mother-in-law a lot!

Norwegian Royals
Märtha Louise and Ari Behn
Haakon helping Mette

Queenly sisters
Margrethe II and Anne-marie
Margrethe and Anne-marie

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures.

Now that we see Queen Beatrix for three days in a row, with these antique (?) wooden Nordic Walking-sticks (from her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina who had a particular love for Norwegian Fjords ?), I wonder if there is something wrong with The Queen and her knees or something?

:flowers:

maybe she just has trouble getting used to the difference between "sea legs" and "land legs".

other than that i only know this...beatrix has the one thing every queen needs...hair that doesn't move:lol:

i love how well integrated marius is within the royal family. although it's quite a difficult situation, they seem to have got it right and he seems at ease with the rest of the family.

mette marit looked lovely today in that pink dress and cardigan. haakon is such a gentleman helping her out while walking down the steps. martha louise didn't disappoint me at all either. her skirt is so young and modern! not so sure if i like ari's white suit... :(

hope we see more photos of today soon :)

Lovely detail:

Just look at Märtha-Louise's brooch--- it's a picture of her mother Sonja ! :flowers:

Märtha's Mummy-brooch

I love Martha Louise's sense of style. It's always fun to wait and see what she will wear in different events. ;)

PPE's caption for this pic is funny.... [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto "Martha Louise feeding Mette Marit ice cream"

They interchanged Mette-Marit and Martha Louise's hand :ROFLMAO:

I love Martha Louise's sense of style. It's always fun to wait and see what she will wear in different events. ;)

PPE's caption for this pic is funny.... [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto "Martha Louise feeding Mette Marit ice cream"
They interchanged Mette-Marit and Martha Louise's hand
Hilarious!:ROFLMAO:

Look at this funny caption (by ANP):

Crown Princess Mette Marit and Queen Beatrix dancing at the dancing and boat parade in Spangereid, Norway, July 5, 2007
Picture :lol:

Back
Top Bottom