70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crisiñaki said:

I am soo happy to see Jefferson and Alexandra together on this photo. Hopefully this will stop the rumors about a soon divorce from them

Princess_Beatrix said:
The celebrations seem to be even bigger then Carl-Gustav's!

Don't think so. Stockholm was studded with more Sovereigns and members of non-reigning royal families.
Oslo sees a more limited group.
:flowers:

Nice to see Mathilde and Philippe join the festivities. Love her coat!

Martha-Louise has some prescious little ones, enjoyed seeing them. Wonder where Haakon and M-M's kids were? Love M-L's coat as well.

I agree with others the pic of Victoria talking with Maud is very cute.

Albert is funny in his outfit, I got a kick out of it. Great that he's so confident wearing it too!

Is it just me or has Mary lost her sparkle some during this weekend so far. I don't know she just isn't looking as comfortable to me in the pics that I've seen.

I know Maxima didn't attend which is totally understandable but I was wondering about Willem? I don't recall seeing him in any pics but I could be wrong.

I really liked being able to see everyone in a little bit more of a relaxed setting. But I'm still anxious for tonight.

The flu and heavily pregnant

Aurora810 said:
I know Maxima didn't attend which is totally understandable but I was wondering about Willem? I don't recall seeing him in any pics but I could be wrong.

Of course Princess Máxima of the Netherlands, The Princess of Orange, is heavily pregnant. Officially in her 7th month, but I would not be surprised if the baby will be born the coming month. (Al her babies were 'premature' to fool the media).

It is cold and slippery outside, and she needs rest in between last night's and tonight's event.

The Prince of Orange had a severe flu last week. He managed it to get out of bed for the photoshoot in Lech am Arlberg, but immediately returned to his warm bed. Maybe he has not fully recovered and is feeling a bit shaky. Another possibility is that he likes to stay with his beloved spouse.

Also understandable.

Last edited:
Lucidu said:
Isn't Leah Isadora, it's Maud Angelica!;)
Woops, typo! Thanks, I changed it.:flowers:

Henri M. said:
Don't think so. Stockholm was studded with more Sovereigns than Oslo sees now.

I agree. This has turned out to be a large event but I think Carl Gustav's was larger. I remember seeing more international royals there. I think this celebration has a great turn out but a little different of a turn out than for Carl Gustav's. But I think weather is playing a small role in these celebrations. Just my opinion!

I have a question. Some posts have mentioned that this a celebration for both Harald and Sonja's 70th birthdays but Sonja doesn't turn 70 until this summer. And in other ways it doesn't seem like a joint party to me. So my question is will another celebration similar granted maybe not as large, take place for Sonja in the summer or is this really also her to celebration as well?

Photo on Princess Kristine Bernadotte? Ruth Rosenborg and Princess Madeleine Kogenivas? They was with King Haralds 70th birthday today? Ruth Rosenborg and Princess Kristine Bernadotte,stepdaughter Madeleine Kogenvias is relatives to King Harald.

Henri M. said:
The Prince of Orange had a severe flu last week. He managed it to get out of bed for the photoshoot in Lech am Arlberg, but immediately returned to his warm bed. Maybe he has not fully recovered and is feeling a bit shaky. Another possibility is that he likes to stay with his beloved spouse.

Also understandable.

Thanks for the info Henri M. Yes, it's very understandable for him to stay out of the cold as much as possible and also stay with Maxima. Netherlands was well represented for the morning festivities.

Aurora810 said:
I have a question. Some posts have mentioned that this a celebration for both Harald and Sonja's 70th birthdays but Sonja doesn't turn 70 until this summer. And in other ways it doesn't seem like a joint party to me. So my question is will another celebration similar granted maybe not as large, take place for Sonja in the summer or is this really also her to celebration as well?
Sonja's birthday will be celebrated with a cruise along the southern coast of Norway. It will start with a party in Stavanger on July 4, and by using 3 ships/yachts, the guests will be transported to the family's cabin at Tjøme.

I just looked at Madeleine G's website. Lovely pics by the way and thanks for the above post Madeleine!

Sidenote: I was noticing that Mette-Marit's hair doesn't look as blonde. It's not really that "white-ish blonde". I really love her hair from last night and today. Oh and the pics of Maxima, just gorgeous. There's just something about Maxima(I know the line is traditionally "something about Mary" but I'm changing it for this post). Anyways, sometimes you just look at a pic of someone and it's simply a picture. But when I look at pics of Maxima her personality is always evident and shining thru. Similar to Victoria. I think Victoria has great charisma that's always captured in pictures.

norwegianne said:
Sonja's birthday will be celebrated with a cruise along the southern coast of Norway. It will start with a party in Stavanger on July 4, and by using 3 ships/yachts, the guests will be transported to the family's cabin at Tjøme.

Thanks for the info. So we do have another celebration to look forward to in Norway. I hope we get some pics however, it does sound as though it may be a bit more private then these current celebrations.:)

Aurora810 said:
Is it just me or has Mary lost her sparkle some during this weekend so far. I don't know she just isn't looking as comfortable to me in the pics that I've seen.
Mary has lost her spark because she isn't wearing some huge red galagown, and the ruby parure? Just because she was more discreet yesterday night(btw, she wore some serious beautiful jewelry and fantastic fur), than she usually might be.

The funny thing is that Mary looked fine yesterday night. She looked dignified and elegant, and simple, and that makes her disappointing ? I think you're asking very much from her(the poor woman is pregnant!), and it's your own faults that you are disappointed, after all you are the ones who put your hopes so high.

Alexia's coat was beautiful. The pictures from today in the snow were nice. it seemed everyone had a great time and also it was a great get together. There were some dissaopinting outfits,it was a casuall thing but I pesonally think mathilde was over dressed though it was a beautiful coat, mary didnt look that good. I loved Martha-Louise's look and for once Mabel seemed well put together.
For the gala dinner, I thought Mette-Marit stole the show along side with maxima ( didnt like the dress). all looked very pretty and elegent. I thought Maximas jacket was breath taking. Thank you all for pulling out wonderful pictures

Aurora810 said:

I agree. I have noticed the same as well.

British royals

It is a pity that none of the Yorks or the Waleses do attend festivities on the Continent. I'm sure they would have had a great time with their 'colleagues' overseas.

Last edited:
madeleine victoria said:
i'm a bit disappointed about Mary's gala dress and IMO the fur coat didn't look good on her.;) MM's gown was stunning!

I didnt like the fur coat to, i think it was abit too light for over an evening gown thought her gown was simple, also thought she ruined it with the fur because the embroidery was all over the top part of the dress which was hidden

Mary has been very tired in the last few events that she has attended, I have noticed. Maybe this pregnancy isn't as easy as the last one where she was up and about till the last month. It has also been speculated in danish Papers that her maternity leave will start in March which is quite early if her due date as given by the court is May.

Last edited:
dazzling said:
I didnt like the fur coat to, i think it was abit too light for over an evening gown thought her gown was simple, also thought she ruined it with the fur because the embroidery was all over the top part of the dress which was hidden

I think she looked nice in the fur as for the embroidery being hidden it is cold there you can't expect her not to cover up.

MissSaga said:
Mary has lost her spark because she isn't wearing some huge red galagown, and the ruby parure? Just because she was more discreet yesterday night(btw, she wore some serious beautiful jewelry and fantastic fur), than she usually might be.

The funny thing is that Mary looked fine yesterday night. She looked dignified and elegant, and simple, and that makes her disappointing ? I think you're asking very much from her(the poor woman is pregnant!), and it's your own faults that you are disappointed, after all you are the ones who put your hopes so high.

Yikes, I made a simple comment. I surely didn't intend to offend anyone. But afterall I'm entitled to have an opinion as well. I'm really quite shocked at your comments to me. I understand she's pregnant. And yes I did make a previous comment that her dress was disappointing and I stick by that. I thought her dress was disappointing last night, that's my opinion and other people are entitled to their opinions, all opinions and thoughts are welcome.

However, in this particular post that you are mentioning I really wasn't speaking of her clothes when I made that comment I was really speaking more about her overall demeanor. She just doesn't look as comfortable to me during these celebrations. That is just my opinion. Yes, there are plenty of reasons why she isn't sparkling maybe it's pregnancy related, maybe she's cold and just wants to be at home. I just made an observation that she doesn't have that sparkle in her eyes that I normally pick up on. That's all. I'm really shocked right now. WOW! I just made one rather small comment...I thought.

Last edited:
A list of who I thought looked good & not.
Imo who stole the show

Mette Marits, her dress was beautiful cut, color & design. Hair was done very well so was make-up, for once I thought she went for using make-up.
Maxima’s dress didn’t really like but other than that I think this is the best she has ever gone for. The emerald jewel’s, the hair, all were beautiful and I cant talk about the jacket because I don have words to describe it. It was one of the most beautiful jackets ive seen and she wore it well over the dress.
Mette Marit & Maxima are my top choices
Princess Alexia, looked very well dressed, the jacket fitted nicely. I liked the print and the skirt

Not so well put together
Mary, thought the dress was really elegant & simplei still think she could’ve done better; I don’t know why I don’t like it. also the jacket was a bit too much over that dress. she looked a bit too plain when it came to make-up. It was very disappointing!! I really thought she would’ve stolen the show.
Queen Sonja’s dress was boring and abit too white & the white fur didn’t help the dress much.
Mabel, I don’t know what to say, I personally don’t think a princess should go out like that in public.
Princess Christina of Spain, her hair looked neat but her outfit didn’t suit. her jacket didn’t go well with the skirt

I dont' think these women dress to steal the show they wear what they like and are comfortable in. I think maybe we make it in to a competition not the royal ladies just my opinion.

It's nice to see all enjoying each other company!!! All seemed happy and amused!!! It's nice to see Mary intercating with Mette Marit, Victoria or Matilde!!!
She seemed a litle tired but very candid and beautifull!!!

Tonight's dresses

The dresses tonight:

Máxima: recycled a green maternity dress she already wore when she expected Amalia. And another new Tiara: The dutch pearl Tiara! Finally! :flowers:

Mary: recycled the red New-Year dress and wears the wedding Tiara. Stunning hairdo!

Sonja: wears a new brown dress and the Emerald Tiara.

MT: wears a golden dress and a Floral Tiara.

Silvia recycled a brown dress she wore a few weeks ago.

Mette-Marit is stunning again: She wears a rose-pink dress and her wedding Tiara.

Victoria: her usual tiara and a new purple dress.

Madeleine: a silver-gold dress. hard to describe...

Her_Majesty said:
The dresses tonight:

Máxima: recycled a green maternity dress she already wore when she expected Amalia. And another new Tiara: The dutch pearl Tiara! Finally! :flowers:

Mary: recycled the red New-Year dress and wears the wedding Tiara. Stunning hairdo!

Sonja: wears a new brown dress and the Emerald Tiara.

MT: wears a golden dress and a Floral Tiara.

Silvia recycled a brown dress she wore a few weeks ago.

Mette-Marit is stunning again: She wears a rose-pink dress and her wedding Tiara.

Victoria: her usual tiara and a new purple dress.

Madeleine: a silver-gold dress. hard to describe...

Princess Mathilde wears an quite extravagante gown in beige with train but she looks stunning and her laurel-wreath tiara.

patty said:
It's nice to see all enjoying each other company!!! All seemed happy and amused!!! It's nice to see Mary intercating with Mette Marit, Victoria or Matilde!!!
She seemed a litle tired but very candid and beautifull!!!

I liked this picture of Mary & Mathilde

How do you know? Are you watching it on the telly or the internet?

Back
Top Bottom