70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My god, Mette-Marit was absolutely stunning, the "queen" of the ball . Like a top-model ...unbelievable ...:wub: :wub: :wub:

As for Princess Madeleine, she has a completely different style but looked beautiful IMO .

And THE surprise of the evening was absolutely beautiful QUEEN SONJA !I'm generally not fond of her gowns, but tonight, she had such class !!!!!!!!!
She's like Mette-Marit, when they're on top, nobody can even a little bit rival them . They are simply goddesses ...:shock: :clap:

Ok, here is my opinion:

Queen Sonja: The "Queen" of the night. She stole the show. She was fabulous!!

Mette-Marit: Beautiful, but if the dress would have been another color, it would have been better. Loved her earrings.

Martha Louise: OK, I usually don't care for her dresses anyway. But, I've seen worse.

Silvia: She looked lovely, loved the color.

Victoria: Beautiful dress, like a true crown princess.

Madeleine: Not appropriate for a royal celebration, but she still looked beautiful.

Maxima: Breathtaking, along with the jewels.

Mabel: A bra should not be seen. That's all I can say.

Laurentien: Great!

Maria Theresa: She looked absolutely ravishing. This woman is a natural beauty.

My opinion:

Her Majesty The Queen of Norway was the summum of elegance. The double diamond rivière, the diamond earrings, brooch, etc. formed a nice set together.

Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the Netherlands, The Princess of Orange, surprised in a positive way. At first sight I was a bit disappointed with her loose hair, but as she wore no diademes, it was okay. I liked the combination of the dark green, very feminine-cut, velvet combination with parts of the emerald parure. I saw dangling earrings, a diamond cross with an central emerald and a big historic cabochon as pendant, two emerald bracelets and a ring with a big emerald knocker. Wonderful.

Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Norway was one of the highlights of the evening. I thought her gown did look very much alike the grey gown worn by Princess Máxima in Sydney, during the banquet with the Governor-General. That was a Valentino and I have the idea this was a Valentino as well.

Her Royal Highness Princess Madeleine of Sweden was a big disappointment. She was too Britney and too Paris Hilton. Not that she was tasteless or something, but I don't get the message she wants to make with her clothing.

Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Denmark was a surprise. I expected her, as always, competing for being the most fashionable royal but this time she did look gloomy. In nothing she showed to be Denmark's future Queen.

Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal is a lady aged over 50 and should not be compared with someone like Princess Madeleine. But I would suggest her to shop once together with her sister-in-law, Camilla of Cornwall, who has developed a very own, feminine and ravissante style.

Her Majesty The Queen of Sweden was her perfect herself as always. She did not stand out tonight but was for sure -as always- exceptionally dressed.

Her Royal Highness Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands surprised -as always- with a very personal style. Her design, colour and pattern stood out but I thought she did look lovely. The wonderful diamond broche and large earrings (prongs from the gold-and-diamond East Indies Diademe) made her sparkle. She was dressed as I would like to see a Princess to be dressed.

Her Royal Highness Infanta Cristina of Spain did disappoint a bit. Like Crown Princess Mary she did look a bit un-festive and gloomy.

Her Royal Highness Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau was another surprise again. After the bows and the futuristic gowns she surprised with an exquise black lace gown. I agree with all posters about the visibility of her bra. At the same time she has not revealed any naked flesh, still the feeling remains that this extremely fine gown was destroyed by the bra. If she had worn a sort of strapless bodice beneath it, she probablu would have been one of the stars of the evening. I found the white-black sweetwaterpearls in the modern setting a mismatch with the exuberant lace top.

Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Sweden was such a grey mouse. Her gowns look interchangeable. I know it is not true, but in my amateur eyes it looks she has ordered a dozen of gowns in the same design, but each in a different colour, if you understand what I mean. In fact Crown Princess Victoria showed far more naked flesh than Princess Mabel, but we all understand the difference.

Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise was colourful and vibrant as always. I was not so hallelujah about her hairdo. The gown did look a bit too Nineties to me, but for so far she was the star of the evening with her wonderful ode to her father.

Last edited:
Maxima looked just amazing:wub:

The show was great. Loved Märtha's speak :flowers:

Can't Wait to Tomorrow.

Danish Royal Watchers website has lots of beautiful photos of Frederik and Mary at the King Harald's 70 birthday.

Danish Royal Watchers

Mary and Frederik looked great! Mary's dress and fur looked elegant and lovely! :wub: Mary had the sense to keep it dignified and restrained, if not spectacular.

Last edited:
I agreed with you Mary was very discret...In Portugal we a have a proverb " a woman in black dress will never be compromised" (it lost a bit of the significance with translation)...she looks beautifull but I expected mpre from her!!!!!
Definitely Mette Marit was the Queen of the party, she looks frightful!!!...absolutely gorgeous!!

Gorgeous : my favourite dresses : Mette-Marit, Laurentien, Maxima and Martha Louise !

I'll agree with Larzen, Alexandra of Berleburg was definitely one of the more well-dressed woment there. Classy and elegant.

As for Mette-Marit's dress. She looks great, but I'm so tired of seeing her either in this colour or black. She wore the same sort of gown when she was Godmother at the Greek christening, but then in a shade of green, and it was much more exciting.

Laurentien - A bit more form-fitting? She's one of my favourite royals when she gets it right, and I've seen her look absolutely stunning. This outfit was a bit too matronish for my taste. But she looks good in red.

But I guess occasions like this proves a Norwegian saying: some like the mother and some like the daughter, meaning, we don't necessarily always like the same thing.

Henri M. said:
Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Sweden was such a grey mouse. Her gowns look interchangeable. I know it is not true, but in my amateur eyes it looks she has ordered a dozen of gowns in the same design, but each in a different colour, if you understand what I mean. In fact Crown Princess Victoria showed far more naked flesh than Princess Mabel, but we all understand the difference...

Victoria on the other hand, looks effortlessly beautiful. I think she is heavily aware of what life is really about.

Yes, true. The demure royal. Yes, the difference. I mean Victoria would never make the kind of mistake that her sister made tonight. It was just enough naked flesh to drive some of us crazy. Okay. Just me. But she knows where to stop when it comes to these things. Madeleine hasn't learned this yet. I mean she didn't wear an appropriate outfit for the occasion. Neither did Mabel for that matter. Her dress sort of reminds me of what Cate Blanchett wore for the Golden Globes. However, Cate's bra did not show. There is a way to be sexy without going over the top as it were.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/gigi_ho/drws/feb23_2.jpg

Victoria looks great there. Märtha Louise looked great tonight. The only problem was her husband. He should have remembered to shave and have his hair cut. Quite impressed with Queen Sonja. She looked great. So did her daughter-in-law. We mustn't forget Queen Silvia, the stylish queen!

"She did not stand out tonight but was for sure -as always- exceptionally dressed."

Yes, indeed.

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures!!

The majority of the women looked fantastic, a few were not my cup of tea (Laurentien, Mabel, Anne's kilt coat), but overall, I am very impressed with the women this time! My favourites: Mette-Marit, Martha Louise, Mary, Maxima, Maria Theresa. I liked Madeleine's dress, but it was worn at the wrong event.

PPE really needs to get its info correct, in the picture of Joachim with Alexandra Berleburg, it says "Prince Joachim arrives with Marie Cavalier" :wacko:

I must say that Princess Madeleine's dress wasn't so bad if she had worned it for another event during the day. It looks out of place for such a gala night. Princess Maxima does look wonderful. Are there any photos of Princess Alexia of Greece?

I thought that Cristina's dress looked navy or black (I haven't been able to see a really good picture yet!)

Would that be showing respect to Letizia's sister? Even though she was not Royal or related?

Just curious!

Tenngirl

Is there a good picture of Maria Teresa's dress? I only saw one where she was off in the distance.

Tomorrow night the ladies will be wearing tiara's, right? I'm sure it will be a very glamorous occasion!

P.S. I never said it, but Happy Birthday King Harald! He's looking great at 70!

Queen Silvia looks by far the best tonight.:) I think her gown is beautiful; especially the color. I am quite dissappointed in the rest of their outfits, though. Oh, dear! What was Mabel thinking?!:ohmy:

Does anyone know if Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal were invited? Someone just posted a picture of Princess Alexia and her husband Carlos. I am wondering if Pavlos and MC are joining in the festivities in Oslo.

Thanks, Ayvee

The good Victoria, Mette-Marit, Maxima and Alexandra of Berleburg. They all look great.

The bad: Madeleine should have worn a longer dress and Mabel a bra should never be seen in public like that, it just looks tacky.

Máxima really looked good. Did she wear the coat the whole time?
And, yes, you can see the effort the whole dutch royal family put into their clothing, but the same is true for the whole norwegian royal family!
I thought Märtha Louises speech was really wonderful.

Thanks to all that have posted pics. I've enjoyed looking through them.

First off the Norway family looked great. :flowers: Q. Sonja and Mette-Marit were very stylish! Martha Louise I thought looked alright but not great. I think the midsection where the black was going across was messing up the whole dress, IMO. But worse yet was her hubby...please someone hand him a razor and some scissors!

Maxima looked wonderful, so pregnant and yet so beautiful. :)

Mary was disappointing however, I've noticed she's sometimes not as stylish when she's at these very large royal gatherings. I didn't like the cleavage showing at all.

Victoria I think she looked very classic Victoria and is off to a good start for the weekend. Q. Silvia also looked lovely. She knows how to dress for such occasions. More than I can say for her youngest daughter. What was Madeleine thinking? Did she not notice she is in Norway and there's fresh snow on the ground. Hello! Earth to Madeleine! This is not a spring or summer function. The dress, the shoes it was all inappropriate for the occasion and the time of year.

I also have to add that Q. Anne-Marie as well looked lovely, she is a very beautiful woman!

Would have loved to have seen Mathilde and Philippe.

We're off to a good start!

Great pictures everyone. :flowers:
My personal favourites were Mette-Marit and Maxima.

Thumbs up
1. Mette-Marit - she looked great. I was hoping for some bright colour but the dress was made for her
2. Maxima - she looked regal and beautiful. Her hair could be a bit better but the whole picture was perfect
3. SonjaBeautiful
4. SilviaBeautiful
5. Victoria - she looked beautiful and elegant. A brighter colour might be better but this gown suited her as well
6. Alexandra of Berleburg - one of the most elegant ladies of the evening.
7. Laurentien - her personal touch was obvious. That's what I thought from the first glance and that's what I think now. Only at second glance I actually liked the gown. It suited her, though it could be a bit more figure-fitting.

Thumbs down
1. Anne - I wish I never saw the dress, I might have nightmares. I adore Princess Anne but that dress was a complete disaster
2. Mary - she was my biggest disappointment, after Anne. I can’t say she looked bad and I guess the dress was nice-looking and elegant but Mary was completely invisible among the other Ladies. The dress didn’t do her a favour.
3. Martha-Louise - I can't even say what bothers me about the dress. I can only say it bothers me. I just don’t like it
4, Anne Marie - I really hated that dress. Anne Marie is usually sort of symbol of elegance for me but I this gown was a big disappointment
5. Mabel - One word: bra. Bras are not supposed to be that visible. And if it hadn't been for the upper part, the dress would be completely boring, much like Mary's dress
6. Madeline - I think she might have confused the King's Birthday celebration with pre-Oscar parties.

Undecided
Cristina - I can't say I liked the gown and I can't say I disliked it.
Maria Theresa - She looked good and I love the colour but it just didn't work for me.

Last edited:
My Favorite Dressed:

Mette...I love how the dress sweeps over her shoulders
Maxima...She looks regal and I love the hair

Disappointments:

Madeleine...I like the outfit but not for an evening event...
Mabel...I can see her bra...that is just too much from me...BTW were are all her bows?! lol

Back
Top Bottom