Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko Current Events 1: May 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On December 13th, the IHA revealed Empress Emerita Michiko has vomited blood several times since September. It's not related to breast cancer surgery but said to be caused by mental stress. After taking medication, there are no symptoms recently and she's being monitored.

According to the agency, her sudden weight drop since spring has not returned to normal and her BNP levels (a cardiac test) has not improved. There is no change in the schedule for moving to Takanawa Imperial Residence from next January to March.

Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko are receiving regular medical checkups this week and next week.

Sources: Jiji, Sankei, NHK

Sending healing vibes to Empress Emerita Michiko.

Can't the move be postponed? However, I've read Michiko feels strongly the Emperor should move into the Imperial Residence as soon as possible. The Emperor Emeritus' household is busy organizing, packing, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
That is not good news. I hope she will get better soon.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't think she has looked well for a while--her skin has a kind of waxy, transparent look that I had supposed was related to the breast cancer surgery, but perhaps not.

She does seem very susceptible to stress (not surprising) but I would have thought she would be under much less stress now than in the past.

Best wishes to her for peace of mind, and a serene and healthy new year.

Various English articles

Former Empress Michiko suffers weight loss, vomiting: agency - Kyodo News
Former Empress Michiko has been in poor health since mid-September, vomiting multiple times and losing weight, with stress seen as one of the possible causes, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday.

The 85-year-old underwent breast cancer surgery in early September and has since been receiving hormonal treatment. The agency said the post-surgery treatment is not suspected to be the cause of her vomiting, which included a small amount of blood.

She has also been found to have a cardiac valve abnormality and irregular pulse when she underwent a checkup in June over a rise in levels of heart failure markers. The levels remain high and doctors are monitoring her condition, according to the agency.

[...]
Palace: Empress Emerita Michiko losing weight, feels poorly: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

It was the most detailed update on the health of the 85-year-old retired empress since her surgery.

Michiko has been undergoing hormone treatment for breast cancer since the surgery, but while a side-effect is often nausea, this did not appear to be the cause of the vomiting, which was mixed with blood, the official said.

The source of the blood also does not appear to be her stomach, with doctors continuing to observe the situation.

A local news agency report said that earlier this year test results that can indicate poor heart function led to further investigation that found a heart valve malfunction, but the official declined to confirm this.

[...]
Japan's Empress Emerita Michiko Vomited Blood: Agency | Nippon.com
[...]

Her condition has improved recently and she has stopped vomiting as a result of medication treatment, and doctors will keep an eye on her condition for the time being, according to the officials.

According to the agency, the former Empress has not recovered from a sudden drop in her body weight after spring, and her heart is still experiencing a large amount of stress.

[...]
Empress Emerita suffers 'stress-induced' sickness | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

The agency says the 85-year-old Empress Emerita vomited several times since mid-September and she was apparently bleeding from the stomach.

The agency adds that she is under medication and has not vomited for about a month.

[...] The agency has disclosed that she suddenly lost weight from around April, and a blood test in June showed an increased level of a cardiac hormone that points to a high risk of heart failure.

Agency officials say these symptoms have not improved, and suggest that media reports about the Imperial family may have been one of the causes of the mental stress.

They say Emperor Emeritus Akihito's health condition has not changed and the couple will undergo regular checkups in the coming days.

This is all quite a bit more detail than we usually get, which seems somehow a bit ominous to me. We'll see what the next checkup shows, but my best wishes to the Empress Emerita.

The medical report is indeed very detailed. I don't think most other courts would provide such details account. Is this a Japanese expectation/consistent with Japanese culture?

Agency officials say these symptoms have not improved, and suggest that media reports about the Imperial family may have been one of the causes of the mental stress.

In the beginning I was somewhat surprised that the IHA explicitly blamed the Empress Emerita's health issues on mental stress, since on other occasions the imperial family/household agency has attempted to downplay stress-induced illness. However, the reason for transparency becomes clear if the mission is to silence unwanted rumors. But which media reports are causing trouble for the empress emerita and/or the IHA? Have there been more negative rumors about difficult relationships within the family, Princess Mako's partner, and so on?

Last edited:
While I wish the emerita a speedy recovery, some details are better left unsaid in public. Whatever strategy is behind it, nobody needs to know that she has been vomiting blood.

In the beginning I was somewhat surprised that the IHA explicitly blamed the Empress Emerita's health issues on mental stress, since on other occasions the imperial family/household agency has attempted to downplay stress-induced illness. However, the reason for transparency becomes clear if the mission is to silence unwanted rumors. But which media reports are causing trouble for the empress emerita and/or the IHA? Have there been more negative rumors about difficult relationships within the family, Princess Mako's partner, and so on?

Back in the spring there was a series of "bits" in the more mainstream press about difficult relationships between the Akishino family and the soon-to-be Emperor and Empress, some negative references to Hisahito (spoiled, etc), some references to Sayako Kuroda's marriage, as well as Noriko Senge's marriage, and dredging up the Princess Mako issue--nothing that hasn't been said before. I'm not sure about the less reputable press, Prisma seems to be able to keep up with that more, since that is very seldom translated into English. I'm hoping she will weigh in here.

This isn't looking good indeed. I hope that Empress Michiko pulls through.

Wishing Empress Michiko a speedy recovery though it does not sound good given her age.

The fact that HM's symptoms have already been alleviated to some degree by the administered medication is a positive indicator for her hopeful recovery. (And it is interesting in itself that (correction: some of) the symptoms of the illness blamed by the IHA on stressful media reports were not announced when they were at their most severe but after some improvement had been observed.)

Back in the spring there was a series of "bits" in the more mainstream press about difficult relationships between the Akishino family and the soon-to-be Emperor and Empress, some negative references to Hisahito (spoiled, etc), some references to Sayako Kuroda's marriage, as well as Noriko Senge's marriage, and dredging up the Princess Mako issue--nothing that hasn't been said before. I'm not sure about the less reputable press, Prisma seems to be able to keep up with that more, since that is very seldom translated into English. I'm hoping she will weigh in here.

Thanks! The reports in spring would, I think, broadly correspond to the timeframe communicated by the IHA regarding the then-Empress's weight loss (though the abdication also took place around the same time), and I too am hoping that Prisma can weigh in on whether the negative references have multiplied or expanded as of late (and a thank you to Prisma for the daily updates).

How was the relationship between the two Empressses ?

Although it is translated from a book published 14 years ago, I think the following post is pertinent to your question and worth reading:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...t-crown-princess-masako-16054.html#post737790

Last edited:
Thank you , you did my day Tatiana.
Thank you also to be so well informed about my Royal Family qnd their private life.

I think the important thing to remember about the Frtiz and Kobayashi book is that much of it is speculative, and it's not always easy to parse out what is factual, and what is their speculation. Some of their assertions about the private thoughts and actions of the Imperial family are given without any reference to sources, or with questionable sources, and, in my opinion, while interesting, should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I understand issues with Princess Mako. But what happened to Sayako marriage? Was there any discussion about this earlier?

:previous: I can't find the original article but some tabloids speculated about marriage trouble when Sayako's husband Yoshiki was seen eating alone at Ootoya restaurants which focuses on Japanese comfort food. In addition, he did not attend Empress Michiko's 83rd birthday dinner in 2017 although he was originally on the schedule.

Another publication dailyshincho.jp followed up on the fuss in March 2018 and it was much ado about nothing. Mr. Kuroda lives near the neighborhood and frequents the restaurant, often ordering the set meal with chicken and black vinegar vegetable, sometimes dining alone for 900 yen. He missed Empress Michiko's birthday dinner due to overtime.

Women's magazine Jisin report summarizes the media stories. Allegedly Empress Michiko reads the newspapers daily and is an avid Internet user so she's reading such articles/comments about Princess Mako and Kei Komuro, dual authority issues, bullying Masako, and moving stress.

Jisin publishes the problematic stories, some examples:

Jisin 1 - A day after being discharged from the hospital for breast cancer surgery, Empress Michiko attended Crown Princess Kiko's 53rd birthday dinner. Mako's not talking to Kiko so Michiko allegedly wanted to use the family dinner to somehow influence Mako.

Jisin 2 - Moving headache. Despite recovering from breast cancer surgery, Empress Michiko is working late preparing for the move. 30 years worth of packing and organizing. When Michiko and Akihito moved to the Imperial Residence in December 1993, they needed some 100 trucks. This move will need about the same but Takanawa Imperial Residence is smaller.

Jisin 3: Princess Mako made 2 trips to the Imperial Palace on July 5 before her official visit to Peru. Allegedly she worshipped at the sanctuaries in the morning, returned home to Akasaka Estate, then visited her grandparents around 1pm at the Imperial Residence for unknown reasons and then returned to Akasaka Estate to visit the Imperial couple. Rather inefficient... Anyway, some "friend" claims Michiko confessed she's worried about her grandchild (doesn't say which grandchild but assumed to be Mako)

Jisin's Imperial House tag includes various articles about Akishino family troubles, Kiko trusts Mako less so that's why Hisahito accompanied Kako to a speech contest recently instead of one of Mako's events, etc.

Jprime's Imperial House tag - mostly Akishino family troubles, Kei Komuro problem, Kako's dancing, engagement rumor for Tsuguko

kikunomon.news seems to be made up of former Imperial / weekly magazine authors - more Akishino family troubles, apparently Kiko "rushed" to Hisako following Tsuguko's engagement rumor asking them to consider Mako's feelings, Michiko allegedly opposes the University of Tokyo for Aiko...

Last edited:
Emperor Emeritus Akihito turns 86 on December 23.

Asahi
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/191223/lif1912230002-p1.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2019/12/22/20191222k0000m040223000p/9.jpg

IHA released photos and video taken on October 30, along with a statement on his activities since the abdication.

- Emperor Emeritus Akihito is pleased and relieved all succession events have been completed.
- Sadness and concern for victims from the typhoons, storms, and heavy rainfall.
- Condolences on the deaths of Yukiya Amano (Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency), Yoji Kurata and Keiji Nagai (soldiers/survivors Their Majesties met during their 2015 visit to Palau), Dr. Tetsu Nakamura (killed in Afghanistan) and Sadako Ogata (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees).
- Since the abdication, the retired Imperial couple are preparing to move to Takanawa Imperial Residence.
- Emperor Emeritus Akihito visits the Imperial Palace's Institute for Biology 2-3 times a week to study goby fish and is preparing a research paper on Okinawa goby.
- No particular change in physical condition at present.
- Morning walks, sometimes to the East Gardens with the Empress Emerita at 7am on Sundays
- Their Majesties read after breakfast. For a while, they read Makoto Ōoka's "A Poet's Anthology: The Range of Japanese Poetry" and also read foreign books such as Blaise Pascal's "Pensées". Recently, they're reading Yamamoto Kenkichi's "Yearly Chronicle of Words"
- Their Majesties often watch TV programs about festivals, nature, and people's lives. In the evenings, Emperor Emeritus Akihito plays cello and Empress Emerita Michiko plays piano.
- Emperor Emeritus Akihito kindly accepts the age of 86 and values his time with Empress Emerita Michiko.

Birthday events are held at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace.

9:30am : greeting from Emperor Emeritus' chief of staff
10:15, 10:20am : greetings from senior IHA staff
10:45am : greetings from Prime Ministers, Speakers of both houses, Chief Justice of Supreme Court, etc.
11:10am : greetings from noble society?
11:35am : greetings from IHA staff and IHA police
11:45am : greetings from former IHA and former IHA police
Noon : lunch with Emperor, Empress, Imperial family, former Imperial family, and relatives
3:30, 3:45, 4:40, 5pm : tea with former ministers, association members, etc.
6:30pm : greetings from minor Imperial members (Aiko, Hisahito)
7pm : dinner with Emperor, Empress, Crown Prince couple, Kuroda couple

Last edited:
That sounds like an absolutely exhausting day for anyone, of any age, much less someone who is turning 86. I hope he is able to at least enjoy some of it.

I agree. I wonder how long this birthday agenda will continue... Empress Emerita Michiko's birthday schedule was probably similar before most events were cancelled following Typhoon No. 19.

Here's Akihito's 85th birthday schedule as emperor in 2018. After abdication, these 7 events were eliminated:
- 9am worship at Imperial Palace Sanctuaries
- 3 balcony appearances for general public greetings (10:20, 11, 11:40am)
- greetings from adult Imperial family, former Imperial family, and relatives (10:30, 10:40am)
- tea with diplomatic corps (3pm)

ETA: Japan's former Emperor Akihito turns 86 - Kyodo News
[...] The former emperor continues to live in the Imperial Palace but has largely withdrawn from public life since his abdication on April 30, a day before his elder son Emperor Naruhito ascended the throne.

Although he suffered a bout of cerebral anemia in July, he has regained his health and takes a walk around his residence in the early morning every day with former Empress Michiko, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

[...]

The imperial couple has been preparing to move to the Takanawa Imperial Residence in Tokyo's Minato Ward by late March.

The former emperor sometimes plays cello to piano accompaniment by the former empress. He also frequents a biology research institute inside the Imperial Palace to continue his study on the goby fish and plans to compile new academic papers, the agency said.

He has attended concerts and art exhibitions in his private time as well as the third-place match of the Rugby World Cup in November.

[...]
ETA: Emperor Emeritus Turns 86, Happy with Successful Succession Events - JIJI PRESS
Japanese Emperor Emeritus Akihito turned 86 on Monday and now feels happy as a series of events for the enthronement of Emperor Naruhito, his eldest son, have been carried out successfully.

[...]

The Emperor Emeritus does research on a goby at the Biological Laboratory at the palace two or three times a week to write a research paper.

On top of a routine walk in the palace in the morning, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko continue their practice of reading a book aloud in turns for a short time after breakfast. They are now working on "Kotoba no Saijiki" (Yearly Chronicle of Words) of the late Japanese literary critic Kenkichi Yamamoto.

Last edited:
I agree. I wonder how long this birthday agenda will continue... Empress Emerita Michiko's birthday schedule was probably similar before most events were cancelled following Typhoon No. 19.

Here's Akihito's 85th birthday schedule as emperor in 2018. After abdication, these 7 events were eliminated:
- 9am worship at Imperial Palace Sanctuaries
- 3 balcony appearances for general public greetings (10:20, 11, 11:40am)
- greetings from adult Imperial family, former Imperial family, and relatives (10:30, 10:40am)
- tea with diplomatic corps (3pm)

ETA: Japan's former Emperor Akihito turns 86 - Kyodo News

[...] The former emperor continues to live in the Imperial Palace but has largely withdrawn from public life since his abdication on April 30, a day before his elder son Emperor Naruhito ascended the throne.

Although he suffered a bout of cerebral anemia in July, he has regained his health and takes a walk around his residence in the early morning every day with former Empress Michiko, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

[...]

The imperial couple has been preparing to move to the Takanawa Imperial Residence in Tokyo's Minato Ward by late March.

The former emperor sometimes plays cello to piano accompaniment by the former empress. He also frequents a biology research institute inside the Imperial Palace to continue his study on the goby fish and plans to compile new academic papers, the agency said.

He has attended concerts and art exhibitions in his private time as well as the third-place match of the Rugby World Cup in November.

[...]

ETA: Emperor Emeritus Turns 86, Happy with Successful Succession Events - JIJI PRESS

Japanese Emperor Emeritus Akihito turned 86 on Monday and now feels happy as a series of events for the enthronement of Emperor Naruhito, his eldest son, have been carried out successfully.

[...]

The Emperor Emeritus does research on a goby at the Biological Laboratory at the palace two or three times a week to write a research paper.

On top of a routine walk in the palace in the morning, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko continue their practice of reading a book aloud in turns for a short time after breakfast. They are now working on "Kotoba no Saijiki" (Yearly Chronicle of Words) of the late Japanese literary critic Kenkichi Yamamoto.

Glad to hear that the Emperor Emeritus has remained active and that his wish for more free time for his goby research has been fulfilled. I will miss the press conferences held on his (and the empress's) birthday; do you know if they have ceased owing to protocol or simply to reduce the strain along with the other pared birthday activities?

:previous: I can't find the original article but some tabloids speculated about marriage trouble when Sayako's husband Yoshiki was seen eating alone at Ootoya restaurants which focuses on Japanese comfort food. In addition, he did not attend Empress Michiko's 83rd birthday dinner in 2017 although he was originally on the schedule.

Another publication dailyshincho.jp followed up on the fuss in March 2018 and it was much ado about nothing. Mr. Kuroda lives near the neighborhood and frequents the restaurant, often ordering the set meal with chicken and black vinegar vegetable, sometimes dining alone for 900 yen. He missed Empress Michiko's birthday dinner due to overtime.

Women's magazine Jisin report summarizes the media stories. Allegedly Empress Michiko reads the newspapers daily and is an avid Internet user so she's reading such articles/comments about Princess Mako and Kei Komuro, dual authority issues, bullying Masako, and moving stress.

Jisin publishes the problematic stories, some examples:

Jisin 1 - A day after being discharged from the hospital for breast cancer surgery, Empress Michiko attended Crown Princess Kiko's 53rd birthday dinner. Mako's not talking to Kiko so Michiko allegedly wanted to use the family dinner to somehow influence Mako.

Jisin 2 - Moving headache. Despite recovering from breast cancer surgery, Empress Michiko is working late preparing for the move. 30 years worth of packing and organizing. When Michiko and Akihito moved to the Imperial Residence in December 1993, they needed some 100 trucks. This move will need about the same but Takanawa Imperial Residence is smaller.

Jisin 3: Princess Mako made 2 trips to the Imperial Palace on July 5 before her official visit to Peru. Allegedly she worshipped at the sanctuaries in the morning, returned home to Akasaka Estate, then visited her grandparents around 1pm at the Imperial Residence for unknown reasons and then returned to Akasaka Estate to visit the Imperial couple. Rather inefficient... Anyway, some "friend" claims Michiko confessed she's worried about her grandchild (doesn't say which grandchild but assumed to be Mako)

Jisin's Imperial House tag includes various articles about Akishino family troubles, Kiko trusts Mako less so that's why Hisahito accompanied Kako to a speech contest recently instead of one of Mako's events, etc.

Jprime's Imperial House tag - mostly Akishino family troubles, Kei Komuro problem, Kako's dancing, engagement rumor for Tsuguko

kikunomon.news seems to be made up of former Imperial / weekly magazine authors - more Akishino family troubles, apparently Kiko "rushed" to Hisako following Tsuguko's engagement rumor asking them to consider Mako's feelings, Michiko allegedly opposes the University of Tokyo for Aiko...

My utmost thanks for your summaries of magazine articles. Whether their stories are substantiated or not, they are a vital element of the public's views of the imperial family.

Most of the above stories frankly sound rather anodyne, although perhaps an individual as dedicated to her position and concerned with her family's reputation as the Empress Emerita is said to be might experience stress from prolonged exposure to even bland gossip (especially if retirement has left her with even more time to avidly read the Internet and newspapers as Jisin claims she does).

It is interesting, although not surprising, that the stories generally sound as if they center on the female members of the family (for example, one would expect any narrative about Mako and Kei issues to feature her father prominently, more so than her mother).

Last edited:
Glad to hear that the Emperor Emeritus has remained active and that his wish for more free time for his goby research has been fulfilled. I will miss the press conferences held on his (and the empress's) birthday; do you know if they have ceased owing to protocol or simply to reduce the strain along with the other pared birthday activities?
I suspect protocol and reducing events. Imperial press conferences are more like monologues anyway. :lol:
My utmost thanks for your summaries of magazine articles. Whether their stories are substantiated or not, they are a vital element of the public's views of the imperial family.

Most of the above stories frankly sound rather anodyne, although perhaps an individual as dedicated to her position and concerned with her family's reputation as the Empress Emerita is said to be might experience stress from prolonged exposure to even bland gossip (especially if retirement has left her with even more time to avidly read the Internet and newspapers as Jisin claims she does).

It is interesting, although not surprising, that the stories generally sound as if they center on the female members of the family (for example, one would expect any narrative about Mako and Kei issues to feature her father prominently, more so than her mother).
You're very welcome! Yeah, women get the brunt of criticism. :bang: Crown Prince Akishino is mentioned occasionally since his birthday press conference basically set a February deadline for Mako and Kei Komuro to respond somehow. However, Crown Princess Kiko gets most of the negativity, particularly about HER child-rearing policy. :whistling:
Nothing about Emperor Emeritus Akihito. Apparently the magazines consider him off-limits. He seems to be unconcerned about Mako's situation while Michiko's risking her health interfering. :rolleyes:

This kikunomon.news article is an example of Michiko allegedly bullying Masako. It claims Michiko praised Kiko in front of Masako at Masako's 56th birthday dinner on December 9, saying Masako's success was due to Kiko's efforts.

Back to Emperor Emeritus Akihito's 86th birthday: Imperial family arrivals at the Imperial Palace for greetings and lunch. Princess Yuriko and Princess Nobuko did not attend due to cough symptoms. [Kyodo]

In the evening, Princess Aiko and Prince Hisahito arrived with their parents for the minor greetings at 6:30pm.

Getty Images, AP Images

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/191223/lif1912230036-p1.jpg
https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/media/2019/12/20191223-OYT1I50065-1.jpg

Last edited:
Japan's former Emperor Akihito briefly loses consciousness - Kyodo News
Former Emperor Akihito temporarily lost consciousness and collapsed at his residence in Tokyo on Wednesday but a subsequent medical checkup found no abnormalities, the Imperial Household Agency said. [...]

Sankei report:
- Emperor Emeritus Akihito lost consciousness and collapsed at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace in the evening of January 29.
- Empress Emerita Michiko was in the room and called for the physician with an emergency buzzer.
- When the physician rushed in, the retired Emperor was still unconscious and his breathing resembled snoring.
- Emperor Emeritus Akihito regained consciousness and was taken to the bedroom on a stretcher for further examination.
- He feels well on January 30 and ate breakfast as usual.
- On the morning of January 30th, he had a head MRI and examination with a specialist at the Imperial Household Agency Hospital which did not reveal any diagnosis about what caused the lost of consciousness.

Wishing Emperor Emeritus Akihito a speedy recovery and good health.

ETA: Akihito given MRI brain scan after fainting at his residence:The Asahi Shimbun
Emperor Emeritus Akihito underwent an MRI brain scan on Jan. 30 after fainting the previous evening at his residence in the Imperial Palace grounds.

Officials of the Imperial Household Agency said Empress Emerita Michiko was by her husband's side at the time and summoned a doctor with the agency who found Akihito still unconscious and making sounds like snoring.

Akihito, 86, later regained consciousness, but agency officials conducted the MRI scan at the Imperial Household Hospital. Although no signs were found of a stroke, agency officials will continue to monitor his health. [...]

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko will leave Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace on March 19. They will stay at Hayama Imperial Villa in Kanagawa Prefecture and the Imperial Stock Farm in Tochigi Prefecture until the 31st. Afterward, the retired couple will live at Takanawa Imperial Residence, which will be renamed Sento Temporary Imperial Palace, for about a year and a half.

Renovations for Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace (formerly Imperial Residence) will begin after April and take 9 months.

After Emperor Naruhito's family moves to the Imperial Residence, his current residence Akasaka Imperial Palace (formerly Togu Palace) will be renovated in 4 months for Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko. When the retired Imperial couple move in, the residence will be renamed Sento Imperial Palace.

Source: Sankei

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi

Ex-Japan Emperor, Empress to Move from Imperial Palace | Nippon.com

Last edited:
On March 19th, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko left the Imperial Palace shortly after 10am. Emperor Naruhito's family, Crown Prince Akishino's family, and Sayako Kuroda arrived earlier to attend the send off at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace.

IHA staff and police lined up before Inui Gate to bid farewell as the motorcade drove past. Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko will stay at Hayama Imperial Villa and the Imperial Stock Farm while their belongings are moved. When they return to Tokyo on March 31, they will live at Takanawa Imperial residence.

NHK reported the IHA did not reveal details of the couple's schedule to prevent people from gathering along the route, a precaution against coronavirus.

Getty Images, Getty Images 2 <-- the caption is wrong, Emperor Naruhito's family isn't moving yet.

Japan's former emperor, empress move out of palace after 26 yrs - Kyodo News
Prior to moving, they donated to museums some of the roughly 4,000 gifts they received from foreign dignitaries before Emperor Akihito, 86, abdicated on April 30 last year, the first Japanese monarch to step down in around 200 years.

Last edited:
Around 3pm on March 25th, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko arrived at JR Utsunomiya Station in Tochigi Prefecture.

It's certainly going to be a big change the the former Emperor and Empress, but perhaps less of a wrench than their move into the palace all those years ago from what had essentially been their family home where they raised their children.

It's certainly going to be a big change the the former Emperor and Empress, but perhaps less of a wrench than their move into the palace all those years ago from what had essentially been their family home where they raised their children.

Good point. Still, I remember thinking when reading
Asahi reports on the daily lives of the retired Imperial couple. Emperor Emeritus Akihito visits the Imperial Palace's biology laboratory to study goby. Empress Emerita Michiko cherishes time spent with friends. They are preparing to move to Takanawa Imperial residence. Each day they spend time organizing their belongings, such as deciding what to keep and what to donate to research institutions, specifically academic books and specimens gifted by heads of state.

that it must be have been bittersweet to reminisce over decades of memories from around the world while selecting which ones to part with.

On a side note, could anyone direct me to a map of the imperial residences? I am curious about how closely in proximity the members of the imperial family live to one another.

Good point. Still, I remember thinking when reading

that it must be have been bittersweet to reminisce over decades of memories from around the world while selecting which ones to part with.

On a side note, could anyone direct me to a map of the imperial residences? I am curious about how closely in proximity the members of the imperial family live to one another.

About 6.8 - 8.8km by car (~14 minutes) depends on route according to Google Maps.

A twitter thread from last year about Imperial residences. Most families live at Akasaka Estate.

google_map.jpg

Google Earth + Prince Hitachi's residence

google_earth.jpeg

On March 31st, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko returned to Tokyo and arrived at Sento Temporary Imperial Palace around 4pm. [Jiji]

The IHA reports plants with significance to the couple were transplanted to the garden from the Imperial Palace, such as seeds from regions impacted by the 2011 earthquake and Princess Michiko roses.

Photos: Asahi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom