Emperor and Empress of Japan: Visit to India November 30 - December 5, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vkrish

Courtier
City
Toronto
Country
Canada
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will make a week-long visit to India from 30th November 2013. This visit is made to mark 60 years of diplomatic ties between the two countries.
Though this is their first visit as Emperor and Empress, the couple had an extensive fortnight-long tour of India in 1960 as Crown Prince and Crown Princess, nine months after the birth of their eldest child.
This visit may not be that extensive, given the age and health of the couple, mostly confining to the cities of New Delhi and Chennai.
The full itinerary is to be announced..
Japanese Emperor, Empress to visit India - The Hindu
Japan's emperor to visit India in November | Business Standard

I couldnt get any recent updates in Japanese media about the visit. But the Indian media sources I have quoted are very authentic. So please update if you have any info..Thanks..

I couldnt get any recent updates in Japanese media about the visit. But the Indian media sources I have quoted are very authentic. So please update if you have any info..Thanks..

Your info is absolutely correct. :flowers: See here, here and here.

Thanks ChiriaC. Hope we can get some nice things in this thread at that time..

:previous:
It is admirable, indeed. It might be safely said that the Imperial Couple will enjoy their visit.

Japanese imperial couple arrive in India on goodwill trip

PHOTOS: Japan’s royal couple first India visit

Emperor and empress to visit India for first time in 53 years
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko will depart for a six-day trip to India on Nov. 30, their first visit to the Southwest Asian nation since Akihito acceded the throne in 1989. [...]

Michiko has a special connection to New Delhi, where the 26th Congress of the International Board on Books for Young People was held in 1998. While the empress was eager to attend, she had to cancel her appearance in the aftermath of the global outrage to India’s series of underground nuclear tests.
The couple is expected to greet local IBBY members on Dec. 3. [...] Since the 1990s, the empress has encouraged IBBY staff members whenever she visits other countries. She has also donated to IBBY part of the royalties from the books she has written.

Knowing the empress’s deep understanding and interest in books and the IBBY’s activities, the organization's Indian Section board members invited her to be keynote speaker at the 1998 world congress. The written invitation, which said her attendance would lead to the betterment of the future of children, impressed the empress, and she decided to attend. [...]

The following is the Emperor’s thoughts on the occasion of his visit to India:
I will soon be visiting India together with the Empress in commemoration of the 60th Anniversary of Japan-India Diplomatic Relations which took place last year. Our last tour of India was a reciprocal visit following the state visit by His Excellency President Rajendra Prasad to Japan one year after our marriage, 53 years ago. [...] During this visit, we traveled from Kolkata in the east to Mumbai in the west, visiting various places along the way. We were able to experience firsthand the history and culture of the country, deepening our understanding of India. The memory of how warmly we were greeted by so many people during our journey still remains deep in our hearts. [...]

Since gaining independence, India has steadfastly maintained democracy and achieved great development as a nation. I understand that today India is also displaying tremendous strength in Information Technology and many other fields. I hope that this visit will be an occasion to further deepen the understanding of India. It is my ardent wish that both our peoples will continue to work together towards progress leading the two nations to develop hand in hand in the years to come.

Last edited:
A news item on the walk in Lodhi Gardens..

My rendezvous with the Japanese royals - Rediff.com News

A news report in India's national channel about the visit.
It also includes the footage from the visit the couple made on 60's.

Emperor and Empress of Japan arrive in New Delhi - YouTube

I guess the ceremonial reception in the Rashtrapati Bhawan (Presidential Palace) is on Monday. It will be a wonderful event..Waiting for it.

I ve found some videos uploaded by MInistry of External Affairs from the visit of 1960. Not the entire visit is covered but just a few places.

I find this video so pleasant to watch, in contrast to BBC/Pathe videos of Queen Elizabeth's visits to India, where we have to endure the colonial-hangover-filled commentaries trying to glorify the 'generosity' of The Queen for visiting such a lowly country as India..

1. Arrival at the airport and reception by President, Vice President and Prime Minister. These three were such great great statesmen who led India's freedom struggle and led the nation in early years, contrary to the selfish foolish idiots we have now..
Visit of Crown Prince and Princess of Japan to India in November 1960 - YouTube

Visit of Crown Prince and Princess of Japan to India in - visit to Village Nistoli on Dec 01, 1960 - YouTube

Visit of Crown Prince and Princess of Japan to India in 1960 - visit to Taj Mahal - YouTube

Visit of Crown Prince and Princess of Japan in 1960 - visit to historical and religious sites - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
vikrish,:flowers:
Thanks for uploading videos of the first visit!

The historic sites in India are spectacular. Then Crown Princess Michiko looked absolutely stunning in kimono. It would be fair to say that the Imperial couple had fond memories of the first visit.

Last edited:

Today, December 2nd, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko placed a floral tribute during a visit to Rajghat, the memorial to Mahatma Gandhi in New Delhi, they attended a welcome ceremony at the Presidential Palace and met with India's President Pranab Mukherjee and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for a meeting at Hyderabad House.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

** gettyimages gallery - December 2, 2013 **

What a marvellous visit and the Emperor and Empress both look so well and happy! My favourite part so far is the visit to Lodhi Gardens, which is a little less formal an event - I'm sure they enjoyed it!
Thanks so much for posting such great images, links and videos!

Emperor Akihito met with the Indian Leader of oppostion Sushma Swaraj in New Delhi today, December 3, 2013.

** gettyimages gallery **

Yesterday, December 5, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited the Children's Park at the Guindy National Park in Chennai

** Pic **

and met with K. Rosaiah, governor of the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa at the Raj Bhavan in Chennai.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

両陛下インドご訪問 最終日も市民との触れ合い楽しまれる(13/12/05) - YouTube

On January 16 Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko hosted a tea party at the Imperial Palace for the staff involved in the previous Imperial visit to India.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Back
Top Bottom