Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: i think that's make the news real and not just rumours or false news if it was i think that the emperor would had just only released a response from the palace instead of giving more attention and credibility to the rumour .

Thank you, Prisma.

The Emperor issued a recorded message to the Japanese people after the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, but the coming appearance will be the first time for him to make an address to the nation on live TV.
Have any of his press conferences been broadcast?

Emperor may speak on the future - News - NHK WORLD - English

So the Emperor is expected to avoid using the word "abdication" or other expressions that directly express his intention.

But the sources say the Emperor's words will suggest his wishes.
i think that's make the news real and not just rumours or false news if it was i think that the emperor would had just only released a response from the palace instead of giving more attention and credibility to the rumour.

According to numerous reports in Japan, directly stating his intent to abdicate would be regarded as a political statement (as legislation would be necessary), and that is why the government and IHA officially denied it after leaking it to the media.

Last edited:
Given Crown Prince Naruhito's age and work experience (if I may call it so), I am sure the transition will be smooth, and he will make a nice Emperor. As for Crown Princess Masako, she may take some time adjusting her new role.

Most people think of Naruhito as a devoted husband, but I always thought he ignored his wife's obvious unhappiness in favor of his own desires.

I've long believed he should step aside and take his family into private life, where his wife might make a full recovery and who knows? Even resume what was once a promising career.

But he won't do that; he intends to be emperor no matter what it costs his family (even though there are other heirs and he is not truly needed).

I find it hard to think well of him, to be honest.

Most people think of Naruhito as a devoted husband, but I always thought he ignored his wife's obvious unhappiness in favor of his own desires.

I've long believed he should step aside and take his family into private life, where his wife might make a full recovery and who knows? Even resume what was once a promising career.

But he won't do that; he intends to be emperor no matter what it costs his family (even though there are other heirs and he is not truly needed).

That's a pretty strong opinion to voice.

It might be argued that it It is his duty to be Emperor, not a selfish whim. Abdication of that duty, IMO, would be selfish. No doubt Masako will support him to the extent that she can. We are not really privy to too much detail about her medical condition and if and how she might get better.

I think Princess Masako would have been the very last person wishing to see her spouse quit his destiny. From his first breath Prince Naruhito has been destined to become Emperor of Japan. The Prince was completely brought up, educated, trained and drilled with this sole purpose of life, his whole raison d'être. Like any other Heir in other monarchies he did not have what his compatriots have: a free choice of career.

It would only make life harder for Masako and possibly she will also feel the immense burden of an imperial prince who abdicated because of her. That may sound nice and romantic in some Disney-ed Western eyes. In Japanese tradition this most likely would have been seen as the ultimate dereliction of an imperial (for some even: divine) duty and a source of deepest humiliation and shame.

Last edited:

He is from another culture and a very different value system. It's easy to judge him based on US standards, but not very valid to do that IMO. When I try to use logic and my own perspective on his situation I react as you have.

But applying what I've learned about the culture and political situation in Japan, I see a lot of honor in his and his family's actions. I would not make the choices he has - but then I will never be asked to do so. Thank heavens.

No doubt Masako will support him to the extent that she can. We are not really privy to too much detail about her medical condition and if and how she might get better.

We know enough to realize Masako has been miserable for nearly two decades.

I do realize it is a different culture, and perhaps it is not for me to question Naruhito's motivations.

Masako has been accompanying her husband on his engagements quite a bit lately. I don't think she has much of a 'condition' remaining at all. She seems to have adjusted to her life and is doing what is expected of a Crown Princess. As Empress it would be the same, just more of it. I don't see any problem for her or her husband or their daughter (who has also accompanied her parents on occasion). It is their destiny - they've always known that.

Queen Beatrix assumed the kingship in 1980. In 1981/1982 it became clear her spouse, Prince Claus, suffered severe depressions. There were admissions in German and Swiss psychiatric clinics for treatments. The Prince would never completely recover in public duties. He would die in 2004 and all by all Queen Beatrix has done her whole kingship more without than with her husband at her side. Should she have abdicated too? Like Naruhito should renounce for Masako?

Until the end it was clear that the love between Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus was profound. In her Abdication Address Queen Beatrix qualified her choice for Prince Claus "as the best choice of her life" and made sure that only because of his sole being he was "her rock". Without him (despite long periods out of the public eye, despite clearly growing incapacities due to Parkinson Disease), without his wise counsel, his encouragement, his observations and his dry humour, Queen Beatrix could not have fullfilled her kingship, she made clear.

Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako are privately befriended with the Orange-Nassaus. Beatrix and Willem-Alexander have first-hand experiences of living with a royal consort or royal parent with severe psychic sufferings. Once the Japanese Heir and his family spent two weeks holiday on the private retreat of the Oranges in the lush Crown Domains. Little Aiko played with little Catharina-Amalia. In 2013 Princess Masako made her first official foreign trip in more than a decade to attend the Investiture of King Willem-Alexander. In Dutch and Japanese media it was rumoured there were personal contacts beforehand between Princess Máxima and Princess Masako. The Dutch and Japanese Courts accomodated everything to the maximum for the frail Princess. And with success. In Amsterdam she became re-introduced to now King Felipe of Spain, to the Prince of Wales, to now King Philippe of the Belgians, to the Crown Prince of Thailand, to Sheikhq Mozah, to the Prince of Monaco, etc.

I think this succesful visit was a boost in the recovery of Princess Masako. When King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima made a State Visit to Japan, who was in person there at the ceremonial welcome? Princess Masako. The greeting with the Dutch guests was so heartfelt and genuine, as greeting friends. So all by all. With modifications because of the frailty of the Empress, there is nothing why Emperor Naruhito could not make a success of his Reign.

Abdication issue a test for Abe govt / Avoiding violation of Constitution vital - The Japan News

Initially, a high-ranking government official said, “If we aim to revise the law in response to the Emperor’s intention, it could be considered a violation of the Constitution.”

This was the predominant opinion inside the government, with an official saying the issue should not be dealt with immediately.

It was also widely believed that it would be difficult to realize an intention by the Emperor to express his thoughts without violating the Constitution.

However, the Emperor’s intention was widely reported and surveys conducted by the media showed that many people support abdication. In response, the government has come under increasing pressure to realize the abdication without violating the Constitution.
Emperor to express thoughts to public - The Japan News
Since July 13, there have been a series of news reports over the Emperor’s possible intention to abdicate, and some of the coverage reportedly is against the Emperor’s intention.

[...] “I assume the Emperor’s speech will clearly convey his thoughts by touching on a series of reports [on his possible abdication],” an agency source said.

I think if the Emperor feel it's time for him to step down over health reasons and due to him wanting to pass on his responsibilities to his son, I think the Japanese Government and people should allow him to do so.

Abdication is no longer a bad thing. It's becoming acceptable for Monarchs to step down when they feel it's time to do so.

Thank you, Tatiana Maria. I am not very familiar with the Japanese constitution. Could you please elaborate on why it would be technically difficult to enable an abdication without violating the constitution ?

I believe this to be a good summary:

Article 4 of the Constitution stipulates, "The Emperor shall perform only such acts in matters of state as are provided for in this Constitution and he shall not have powers related to government." [...] If the Emperor were to publicly express his intention to abdicate and if the government were to move to revise the Imperial House Law and relevant rules by complying with his intention, questions could be raised over whether the Emperor had in fact influenced politics.
Gov't carefully handling Emperor abdication issue out of consideration for Constitution - The Mainichi

THE CONSTITUTION OF JAPAN
The Imperial House Law

http://japan.kantei.go.jp/constitution_and_government_of_japan/constitution_e.html

I think that it depends on the particular country. In the UK, for example, the monarch anointed as well as crowned. As such, it's literally a sacred obligation to reign for life, which is something Her Majesty understood and accepted at the time. In Japan's case, I'd expect that the idea of the Emperor's divinity, while no longer constitutional, would still have quite an effect on the way people perceive him. Plus, if his abdication requires a change in the post-war constitution, that's a huge thing.

Abdication is no longer a bad thing. It's becoming acceptable for Monarchs to step down when they feel it's time to do so.

Changing the Constitution will not be necessary. The only constitutional article that bears on the imperial succession is:

Article 2. The Imperial Throne shall be dynastic and succeeded to in accordance with the Imperial House Law passed by the Diet.

:previous: So it's just a matter of the Diet making a change in the law? Seems simple enough.

:previous: It seems to me it's more a question of the willingness to make a change. Any change...

I think that it depends on the particular country. In the UK, for example, the monarch anointed as well as crowned. As such, it's literally a sacred obligation to reign for life, which is something Her Majesty understood and accepted at the time. In Japan's case, I'd expect that the idea of the Emperor's divinity, while no longer constitutional, would still have quite an effect on the way people perceive him. Plus, if his abdication requires a change in the post-war constitution, that's a huge thing.

We all know about a Monarchs dedication to duty and the people, but the reality of life really don't care much a person's dedication to anything. If health and well being becomes an issue, then the person have no other choice but to step aside or completely step down from their jobs.

Laws must reflect reality.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is considering releasing some comments after Emperor Akihito’s widely expected video message Monday, as speculation grows about his potential abdication, sources close to the plan said.

The comments, most likely to take the form of a statement, will reflect Abe’s personal feelings about the Emperor’s thoughts and will not have Cabinet approval, they said Thursday. The Imperial Household Agency announced on Friday that the Emperor will deliver a video message on Monday.
In addition to TV and radio, the Emperor’s video will be made available on the agency’s website together with the full Japanese text and an English translation, as the Emperor has been keen to deliver messages to people overseas as well, they said.

Full article: Abe may release comments after Emperor's video message | The Japan Times

ETA: According to Asahi, the video message will delivered at 3pm on August 8th.

Last edited:

In a two-day telephone survey from Wednesday to Thursday, 85.7 percent of respondents said they would accept the Emperor’s abdication, 10.8 percent said they favored the status quo and 3.5 percent said they did not know or gave no answer.
Asked whether the Emperor has too many official duties, 89.5 percent agreed, 6.1 percent disagreed and 4.4 percent said they did not know or gave no answer.
67% want review of Imperial Household system to allow Emperor to abdicate: poll - The Mainichi
Some 67 percent of respondents in a recent Mainichi Shimbun opinion poll called for a review of the Imperial Household system to allow the Emperor to abdicate, well above the 22 percent who answered that the matter should be approached with caution.
When asked in a previous survey in July how the government should respond to the wishes of the Emperor about abdication, 45 percent called for swift reform of the system and 30 percent answered that the issue should be cautiously considered.

:previous: Thanks! It's good to know there's public support for the change.

A Nikkei poll reports 80% of respondents do not believe abdication is unconstitutional. Also, 77% believe abdication should be allowed.

I looked around briefly and while the Dutch constitution has abdication provisions, I couldn't find anything about abdication in Luxembourg's constitution. Certainly, Japan is different with the Imperial Household Law.

We all know about a Monarchs dedication to duty and the people, but the reality of life really don't care much a person's dedication to anything. If health and well being becomes an issue, then the person have no other choice but to step aside or completely step down from their jobs.

Laws must reflect reality.
its not a job, it is a role that many royals believe is for life. The queen does not believe that she could ever give up being queen. if she's unable to fulfil the duties, she could have a regent to do so, but she will be queen as long as she's alive.

If the pope can retire, why can't Japan's elderly emperor? The Asahi Shimbun

Conservatives have already raised objections to changing the law to let Akihito step down, citing problems ranging from his title and possible strife with a new emperor, to worry the next step would be letting women succeed and pass on the throne, anathema to traditionalists.

Even more, conservatives fear that a debate over the imperial family's future would divert political energy from Abe's push to revise the postwar, pacifist Constitution, which they see as a symbol of defeat, but admirers consider the guarantor of Japan's democracy.

[…]

Still, public opinion in favor of letting him abdicate could sway the debate if the emperor's appeal is emotionally moving, some experts said, noting that while many Japanese find the royals irrelevant, others are fond of Akihito himself.

"Depending on how the TV appeal is done, it could stir up public opinion," said Naotaka Kimizuka, an expert in European monarchies at Kanto Gakuin University. "Or, people could lose interest and things will go as Abe's administration prefers."
Emperor to speak 10 minutes in message - The Japan News
In addition to discussing himself, the Emperor is likely to address the long history of the system in which an emperor symbolizes the state. According to sources, the Emperor asked Imperial Household Agency officials to study not only reigning emperors but also how “joko,” or retired emperors, spent their time after relinquishing the throne.

If the Emperor abdicate as will be its title?

If the Emperor abdicate as will be its title?

If the government and the Diet allow the Emperor to abdicate, they will decide on his title. Historically, abdicated emperors took the title of 太上天皇 (daijō tennō) or 上皇 (jōkō), which is translated as Grand Emperor in the media.

But the characters 太上 actually imply something more like higher or senior. Tài 太 is found in the titles of the Empress Dowager Kōtaigō and Grand Empress Dowager Tai-Kōtaigō and comes from the Chinese radical 大 - big, great (Dà Qīng – The Great Qing – was the name of the last dynasty to rule China).

The Japan Times ‏@japantimes: BREAKING: Emperor Akihito implies will to abdicate, citing concerns over his age, though avoids direct reference in video address.
Japan's Emperor Akihito to make rare public address

Japan's Emperor Akihito is set to deliver his second ever televised address to the public.
Last month, Japanese media reported that the emperor wanted to step down in coming years, which would be unprecedented in modern Japan.
He is not expected to use the word "abdicate" because he is barred from political involvement.
The palace said on Friday he would be speaking about his "feelings regarding his duties as a symbol of the nation".
There is no legal provision for abdication in Japanese law, which would mean a law change would be required.

Last edited:
The live broadcast just ended. Basically, I think he said that he's already over 80 years of age and underwent surgeries and it's difficult for him to carry out his duties as the emperor and he asked the Japanese people to be understanding of his condition, etc.

So he didn't announce abdication outright, but it's pretty obvious that he's planning to abdicate very soon.

Back
Top Bottom