Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's got to do what he's got to do.

Japan's Emperor Akihito hints at wish to abdicate

Japan's Emperor Akihito has said he fears age and deteriorating health mean he is finding it difficult to continue in his role.
The revered 82-year-old emperor's comments came in his second-ever televised address to the public.
There is no legal provision for abdication in Japanese law. A change in law would be required to allow the emperor to stand down.
PM Shinzo Abe said the government would "robustly" discuss the issue.

The live broadcast just ended. Basically, I think he said that he's already over 80 years of age and underwent surgeries and it's difficult for him to carry out his duties as the emperor and he asked the Japanese people to be understanding of his condition, etc.

So he didn't announce abdication outright, but it's pretty obvious that he's planning to abdicate very soon.

Indeed,and a very wise decision too.

It just needs adjustment of the Imperial Law,which means it will take a few more years before the Emperor can Abdicate.An advisory commission will be installed and eventually they will advice Parliament on the matter.Typical...the IHA pulls all the strings,not HM The Emperor,a virtual prisoner of the IHA..

Last edited:
I think that the Emperor wants to give up, but it's against the law. Probably the Prince Naruhito will stay as Regent.

If it's not legal to abdicate and the emperor feels like his health won't let him to his duties, is it easier to just set up a regency with the Crown Prince as regent instead of trying to a pass a law?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Full Text of Emperor Akihito's Video Message - WSJ

ETA: WSJ sometimes requires subscription, here's a BBC link to the official translation.
Japanese Emperor Akihito's address in full - BBC News

Thanks, Prisma.

The official translation and video have been uploaded to the IHA website.
Message from His Majesty The Emperor : Message from His Majesty The Emperor(August 8, 2016) (video) - The Imperial Household Agency

Message from His Majesty The Emperor (August 8, 2016)

A major milestone year marking the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II has passed, and in two years we will be welcoming the 30th year of Heisei.

As I am now more than 80 years old and there are times when I feel various constraints such as in my physical fitness, in the last few years I have started to reflect on my years as the Emperor, and contemplate on my role and my duties as the Emperor in the days to come.

As we are in the midst of a rapidly aging society, I would like to talk to you today about what would be a desirable role of the Emperor in a time when the Emperor, too, becomes advanced in age. While, being in the position of the Emperor, I must refrain from making any specific comments on the existing Imperial system, I would like to tell you what I, as an individual, have been thinking about.

Ever since my accession to the throne, I have carried out the acts of the Emperor in matters of state, and at the same time I have spent my days searching for and contemplating on what is the desirable role of the Emperor, who is designated to be the symbol of the State by the Constitution of Japan. As one who has inherited a long tradition, I have always felt a deep sense of responsibility to protect this tradition. At the same time, in a nation and in a world which are constantly changing, I have continued to think to this day about how the Japanese Imperial Family can put its traditions to good use in the present age and be an active and inherent part of society, responding to the expectations of the people.

It was some years ago, after my two surgeries that I began to feel a decline in my fitness level because of my advancing age, and I started to think about the pending future, how I should conduct myself should it become difficult for me to carry out my heavy duties in the way I have been doing, and what would be best for the country, for the people, and also for the Imperial Family members who will follow after me. I am already 80 years old, and fortunately I am now in good health. However, when I consider that my fitness level is gradually declining, I am worried that it may become difficult for me to carry out my duties as the symbol of the State with my whole being as I have done until now.

I ascended to the throne approximately 28 years ago, and during these years, I have spent my days together with the people of Japan, sharing much of the joys as well as the sorrows that have happened in our country. I have considered that the first and foremost duty of the Emperor is to pray for peace and happiness of all the people. At the same time, I also believe that in some cases it is essential to stand by the people, listen to their voices, and be close to them in their thoughts. In order to carry out the duties of the Emperor as the symbol of the State and as a symbol of the unity of the people, the Emperor needs to seek from the people their understanding on the role of the symbol of the State. I think that likewise, there is need for the Emperor to have a deep awareness of his own role as the Emperor, deep understanding of the people, and willingness to nurture within himself the awareness of being with the people. In this regard, I have felt that my travels to various places throughout Japan, in particular, to remote places and islands, are important acts of the Emperor as the symbol of the State and I have carried them out in that spirit. In my travels throughout the country, which I have made together with the Empress, including the time when I was Crown Prince, I was made aware that wherever I went there were thousands of citizens who love their local community and with quiet dedication continue to support their community. With this awareness I was able to carry out the most important duties of the Emperor, to always think of the people and pray for the people, with deep respect and love for the people. That, I feel, has been a great blessing.

In coping with the aging of the Emperor, I think it is not possible to continue reducing perpetually the Emperor’s acts in matters of state and his duties as the symbol of the State. A Regency may be established to act in the place of the Emperor when the Emperor cannot fulfill his duties for reasons such as he is not yet of age or he is seriously ill. Even in such cases, however, it does not change the fact that the Emperor continues to be the Emperor till the end of his life, even though he is unable to fully carry out his duties as the Emperor.

When the Emperor has ill health and his condition becomes serious, I am concerned that, as we have seen in the past, society comes to a standstill and people’s lives are impacted in various ways. The practice in the Imperial Family has been that the death of the Emperor called for events of heavy mourning, continuing every day for two months, followed by funeral events which continue for one year. These various events occur simultaneously with events related to the new era, placing a very heavy strain on those involved in the events, in particular, the family left behind. It occurs to me from time to time to wonder whether it is possible to prevent such a situation.

As I said in the beginning, under the Constitution, the Emperor does not have powers related to government. Even under such circumstances, it is my hope that by thoroughly reflecting on our country’s long history of emperors, the Imperial Family can continue to be with the people at all times and can work together with the people to build the future of our country, and that the duties of the Emperor as the symbol of the State can continue steadily without a break. With this earnest wish, I have decided to make my thoughts known.

I sincerely hope for your understanding.

Originally Posted by Blog Real
I think that the Emperor wants to give up, but it's against the law. Probably the Prince Naruhito will stay as Regent.
Originally Posted by Skippyboo
If it's not legal to abdicate and the emperor feels like his health won't let him to his duties, is it easier to just set up a regency with the Crown Prince as regent instead of trying to a pass a law?
but the emperor has said
In coping with the aging of the Emperor, I think it is not possible to continue reducing perpetually the Emperor's acts in matters of state and his duties as the symbol of the State. A Regency may be established to act in the place of the Emperor when the Emperor cannot fulfil his duties for reasons such as he is not yet of age or he is seriously ill. Even in such cases, however, it does not change the fact that the Emperor continues to be the Emperor till the end of his life, even though he is unable to fully carry out his duties as the Emperor.
When the Emperor has ill health and his condition becomes serious, I am concerned that, as we have seen in the past, society comes to a standstill and people's lives are impacted in various ways. The practice in the Imperial Family has been that the death of the Emperor called for events of heavy mourning, continuing every day for two months, followed by funeral events which continue for one year. These various events occur simultaneously with events related to the new era, placing a very heavy strain on those involved in the events, in particular, the family left behind. It occurs to me from time to time to wonder whether it is possible to prevent such a situation.
so he doesn't wont a Regency if he wanted Regency then he wouldn't had made this speech or even proposed abdication

Last edited:
That was clearly a speech not directed to the politicians or the protocol. It was directed to the general public calling for support.

It was also IMO as close to insisting on abdicating, preferably tomorrow, that I believe the Emperor could possibly come.

Since the Emperor has a good reputation among ordinary Japanese, I find it hard to see how the conservatives and nationalists can deny him his request. On the contrary in fact.

I think too that the speech was directed for the general public, he wants a support from the public and I think too that the the nationalists and the imperial agency cannot deny him to abdicate if the emperor has the support of the people of Japan

I think there is a fight between this imperial agency and the emperor behing the doors of the palace

From the media I understood that it seems the Emperor sees a Regent as undesirable: the imperial prerogatives should be executed by the Emperor. Maximum clarity. No confusion possible.

I can go along with that. The Emperor has religious commitments as well. Imagine that Pope Benedictus had not abdicated because of his frail health but instead Jorge Mario Cardinal Bergoglio was appointed "Papal Regent". And now we have advanced years on: a frail Pope in Castel Gandolfo and an ambitious Cardinal-Regent in the Vatican. That is hard to imagine. Adbication leaves no room for confusion or intrigues.

Last edited:
I think that he also wants some changes in case that the emperor is ill and cannot fullfit his duties and after the death of the emperor , his funeral which last one year He says that these two cases are not good for the country, it is not adjusted to the modern times.

Yes indeed, it was a direct appeal to the public for understanding of his personal situation and in someways to prepare them for the possibility of his simply not being able to physically perform all the duties he and the public would want him to do.

The relationship between the Emperor (and the Empress for that matter) and the public seems a very personal one - the connection and mutual understanding and support goes way beyond the concerns of the IHA or the Government and this is reflected in the words that the Emperor has carefully chosen.

I am sure there has been much talk behind closed doors and between the IHA and the Government already. I don't believe the IHA will have been aggressive in their attitude towards the Emperor's personal wishes - indeed, I don't think they will have had a choice other than to support to Emperor and provide him with the assurances he may well have sought from them.

The IHA is there to look after the Emperor and to ensure his well being and health. This is reflected in their agreement to allow the Emperor to slow down on his activities, conscious of his advancing age and health.

My hope is that, if nothing else, a regency can be instituted if Constitutional change becomes too burdensome to the Parliament.

We must also remember the health of Empress Michiko - much of her stress and anxiety must surely be on account of her beloved husbands health and age. Allowing him to retire will I think be a benefit to her as well.

They are both a lovely, kind and gentle couple - their duties are paramount to them and they have carried out their roles without stint or complaint all these years. Few people could deny even the Emperor and Empress of Japan a chance to rest with less stress and anxiety.

indeed. the emperor has had a dedicated life to his country and i don't think it is unreasonable for him to pass on the baton to the next generation. the crown prince being in his 50s, i think it's the perfect time for him to assume power.

i am unsure why abdication isn't openly talked about, and why the emperor has to ask for understanding on the matter. surely there is an intercultural element context that us westerners cannot get a grip on. we have seen so many heads of state from his generation abdicating in the recent years, that to me it seems more than reasonable to allow someone who does not feel fit for purpose to step down. those were my thoughts when the last pope 'abdicated' too. i find it commendable that someone realizes that they are not able to perform their role adequately and takes a step towards solving that. it demonstrates maturity, unselfishness and a real respect for his institution.

[...]
i am unsure why abdication isn't openly talked about, and why the emperor has to ask for understanding on the matter. surely there is an intercultural element context that us westerners cannot get a grip on.
[...]

It is nothing Eastern but exactly Western. The USA-drafted Constitution has put a glass dome over the Emperor: Japan could remain a monarchy and keep the Emperor but only in the most strict unpolitical and utmost ceremonial role.

Since the law does not provide in an abdication, any hint by the Emperor that he wants to abdicate and the Japanese Government coming into action is proof of political influence of the Emperor. Something which is painfully avoided. So all involved (the Court, the Imperial Household, the Government and the Parliament) are just making rounds for the bühne (the theatre stage) to avoid any idea that ministers are working because of an "instruction" by the Court.

Before the current USA-drafted constitutional system, most likely Emperor Hirohito could have announced that it was "His Imperial Will And Pleasure" to abdicate the throne in favour of his son, Prince Akihito. The ministers would have bowed deep and meticulously executed the Emperor's wishes... His Majesty's wish is His Majesty's command, before 1947.

Last edited:

My hope is that, if nothing else, a regency can be instituted if Constitutional change becomes too burdensome to the Parliament.

No constitutional change is required to enact an abdication or regency, because the Imperial House Law is not part of the Constitution. :flowers:

The Imperial House Law only provides for a regency when the Emperor is under eighteen or "is affected with a serious disease, mentally or physically, or there is a serious hindrance and is unable to perform his acts".

THE CONSTITUTION OF JAPAN
The Imperial House Law - The Imperial Household Agency

Sources say the Emperor appears to be stressed and anxious at the thought that someday soon, he may not be able to perform at the level he desires.

In May this year, Imperial Household Agency officials announced they were cancelling some of the Emperor's and the Empress' official activities. They said it was because of the couple's age.

Sources say the Emperor had reservations about drastic cuts the officials initially proposed. So the changes ended up being limited. The Emperor has consistently said that the title should be held by one who can fulfill the duties.
Emperor Chronology - NHK NEWSLINE - News - NHK WORLD

A telephone survey Aug. 6-7 found that 84 percent of respondents are in favor of legal revisions that would allow the emperor, 82, to step down from the Chrysanthemum Throne. […] Only five percent were opposed to abdication. […]

The survey asked respondents whether a regent should be allowed so as to reduce the burden on Akihito.

Seventy-three percent said they supported having a regent under that scenario, while 15 percent were opposed.
Asahi poll: 84% support emperor in his wish to step down?The Asahi Shimbun

I find the poll of 85 % interesting.

I wonder if that could be interpreted as the Emperor's words having much more weight than the politicians perhaps think, if he should break with protocol and decide to speak against the establishment?
If so, that fact should not have escaped the attentions of the politicians.

In advance of the Emperor's speech, Mainichi reported that the government was preparing to appoint a regent, while Yomiuri reported that the government was considering a one-time abdication law.

Special law mulled for one-time abdication - The Japan News
The government is considering special legislation that would allow only the present Emperor to abdicate the throne, according to sources. […]

If a stipulation for abdication were added to the [Imperial House] law, major issues would include whether it was possible to clearly define the circumstances under which abdication was allowed and what the related procedures would be.

This is because it would be necessary to eradicate the possibility that a future emperor could be forced to abdicate due to political pressure, or that an emperor could seek to abdicate without proper reason. […]

Because the special law will only apply to the present Emperor, government officials said it will be easier to gain the understanding of the public, who are concerned about the health of the elderly Emperor.
Emperor's wish to abdicate raises question of how Imperial Throne should be handed over - The Mainichi

In response to the Emperor's wishes, a secret team within the government has begun preparations to submit to the regular Diet session next year a bill to amend the Imperial House Law to appoint Crown Prince Naruhito as regent for the Emperor.

[…]

There are several possible reasons why the Emperor prefers to abdicate rather than have a regent appointed for him.

When he was crown prince, Emperor Akihito assisted and served as a proxy for Emperor Hirohito over about a 1 1/2-year period after the late emperor's health condition worsened in September 1987. Emperor Akihito was not appointed as a regent for Emperor Hirohito, posthumously named Emperor Showa, but appears to have felt the limits to serving as a proxy for the Emperor.

The Emperor also apparently is keeping in mind that Emperor Showa served as a regent for his father Emperor Taisho, who was undergoing medical treatment for illness, for about five years […] history shows that the political and economic situation tends to be turbulent at the time of Imperial succession.
Muhler, are you referring to the Asahi Shimbun poll? It was conducted ahead of the speech, on August 6-7. :flowers:

Last edited:

That would do in other Monarchies perhaps,but not so in Japan where the IHA rules the Court and everyone in it,including HM The Emperor.He can not make a move out of the ordinary without the IHA dictating it.As I said,a commission will be installed to advice Parliament...and that will take some years as the conservative members in both parliament and the IHA are against Abdication as it is against the Imperial Law...Well,kick their *sses and change the darn Law and let HM Abdicate as and when he wishes!!It is his right to decide about His own life.It is medieval to,like in this case,force someone to remain on the Throne till death do us part....Insane almost in this day and age..The IHA should be dealt and done away with and replaced by a body that respects,acts & supports the Court according to society in the 21st century AD,not BC..And once that is done,an Imperial Decree would/could deal with the succession and let the then Crown Princess become Empress in due time......Or so I'd wish!!..:ermm:

Last edited:
The complete encapsulation of the Emperor as a purely ceremonial figure with absolutely no power and even avoiding any possible hint to "influence" is nothing mediaeval but introduced by the USA in their drafted Constitution of 1947. That was the only option Japan had to keep a war criminal out of the tribunals and to avoid China's example, where the monarchy was abolished.

Emperor Hirohito , before 1945, could have announced his wish to abdicate. After 1945 he could only be a silent and serene figurehead locked in an imperial compound and guarded by the IHA. The prize for WWII.

The same reason why Japan is extemely cautious to use its armed forces outside the country, even for UN-missions. Like in Germany there are blockades to prevent major military deployment. Recently Donald Trump mocked about the Japanese watching on their Sony-tv's how America is attacked. Of course ignorant Trump has no idea why things are as these are in Japan and America's decisive role in that...

Last edited:
Japan's Abe 'takes seriously' emperor's public address- Nikkei Asian Review
"I take seriously the fact that the emperor made his feelings known to the public," Abe told reporters. "I deeply feel for his concerns in light of his age and burdens from public duties, and we will need to think about what we can do with regard to his public duties and related matters," he said.
Abe to give careful consideration to emperor's message - The Mainichi
"(The emperor's words) are not remarks that would exert an influence on the government, so I do not feel they present any issue related to the Constitution," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a press conference following the release of the message.
Govt. reviewing Emperor's official duties - News - NHK WORLD - English
Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga says the government should continue to review the Emperor's official duties in line with the Constitution.
Legal revisions to allow Emperor's abdication could take long time - The Mainichi
For these reasons, a view earlier emerged among the government and ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) that the situation should be addressed by reducing the Emperor's duties or setting up a regency to take over the Emperor's activities in matters of state as the need arose. However as Emperor Akihito expressed a negative view toward perpetually reducing his official duties or setting up a regency, it is believed that consideration of abdication is now likely to begin. This year, a top secret team was formed at the prime minister's office under Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Kazuhiro Sugita, and confidential consideration of the Emperor's abdication went ahead. However, it appears that no preparations have been made, as indicated by a comment by an official at the prime minister's office who said, "I haven't heard about the issue at all."

Forgive me for being cynical, but this smells like a: "If we do nothing, perhaps the whole problem will go over by itself - and with a little bit of luck the Emperor will die before this becomes a genuine issue..."

Forgive me for being cynical, but this smells like a: "If we do nothing, perhaps the whole problem will go over by itself - and with a little bit of luck the Emperor will die before this becomes a genuine issue..."

Yes, it's one way of looking at it! It is reminiscent of the "debate" surrounding the succession issue, of which nothing happened and then Prince Hisahoto was born and it all went away again.

It is difficult situation for the Emperor - he has modernised his role as far as it is ever possible for an Emperor to do such a thing, and in turn he seems to be a modern/progressive thinker as to the role and abilities required of his position.

It seems his main focus is the connection between himself and the people and his ability to physically maintain that connection is vitally important to him - not only on a personal level but in the sense of being a symbolic focus for the people. He fears what affect his health and abilities are having on the people of Japan or will have if his health deteriorates.

From my understanding of his address, it all makes me think that he wants a smooth transition now whilst he is still alive and not a sudden transition through death. But he is caught between a rock and a hard place....he cannot abdicate, he doesn't want a continual reduction in his duties (which goes against how he feels an Emperor's role should be carried out).

A proper regency seems the only option and would be a de-facto situation anyway if Crown Prince Naruhito carries out an ever increasing amount of duties on behalf of his father.

Back
Top Bottom