The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Imperial family arriving for the Palace Sanctuaries ritual in the morning: Sankei gallery

Emperor Akihito reporting his abdication and worshipping at the palace sanctuaries: Sankei, Asahi galleries

https://twitter.com/nikkeiphoto/stat...27760480305152
https://twitter.com/nikkeiphoto/stat...31594971713536
https://twitter.com/nikkeiphoto/stat...31784327794688
https://twitter.com/nikkeiphoto/stat...46772245291009
https://twitter.com/asahi_photo/stat...38874719084545

In Photos: The last day of the Heisei era - The Mainichi

Emperor Akihito attends ceremonies related to abdication - The Mainichi
Quote:
Emperor Akihito attended a ceremony called "Taiirei-Tojitsu-Kashikodokoro-Omae-no-gi" at the Three Palace Sanctuaries at the Imperial Palace on the morning of April 30.

[…]

His Majesty bowed respectfully and read out an address called "Otsugebumi." Crown Prince Naruhito, clad in special attire called "Oni no ho," also attended the ceremony.

Empress Michiko, who has a condition affecting the spinal disks in her neck, stayed at the Imperial Residence at the Imperial Palace. Crown Princess Masako was at the Togu Palace in Tokyo's Minato Ward to prepare to attend the Emperor's "Taiirei-Seiden-no-Gi" ceremony in the evening.

[…]
Akihito informs ancestors of his abdication in formal ceremony: The Asahi Shimbun
Quote:
[...] Akihito also read out the document at two other sanctuaries on the Imperial Palace grounds that honor past emperors and other Shinto gods.

Ten other imperial family members, also attired in traditional dress, took part in the ceremonies at the three sanctuaries.
Besides Emperor Akihito and CP Naruhito, I think the others are: Akishino, Kiko, Mako, Kako, Nobuko, Akiko, Yoko, Hisako and Tsuguko.

ETA: Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko will receive greetings after the abdication ceremony

Their Majesties' schedule on April 30 - Imperial Household Agency

10am: worship at Palace Sanctuaries
5pm: abdication ceremony
5:30pm: greetings from Imperial family
5:40pm: greetings from former royals, relatives
5:50pm: greetings from minor royals (Aiko & Hisahito)
6:10pm: greetings from secretaries, managers, etc.
6:20pm: greetings from former advisors, aides, staff, etc.
6:30pm: greetings from former IHA staff & police
6:45pm: greetings from IHA staff & police
7:15pm: greetings from IHA chamberlains

Old 04-30-2019, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

No Masako today= Why did she not attend when almost all other female Family members where there?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
No Masako today= Why did she not attend when almost all other female Family members where there?
Neither she nor Michiko were there for the morning ceremonies but they'll both be there this evening.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Just a reminder that the abdication ceremony will start very shortly and can be seen live with the following link:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Some early photos before I go to bed: Mainichi

https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0031314576.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0031314716.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0031314742.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0031314828.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0031314899.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0031314904.jpg

ETA: I took screenshots of the PM's Youtube and NHK streams
https://twitter.com/ImperialJPNfan/s...51849542934530
https://twitter.com/ImperialJPNfan/s...52383133904896

Emperor Akihito hopes for 'peace and happiness for all the people' in final address to nation - The Mainichi (includes photo gallery)
Quote:
[...] The Emperor stated in his speech, "I sincerely thank the people who accepted and supported me in my role as the symbol of the State."

The ceremony, which is part of acts in matters of state, was attended by some 300 people including Empress Michiko, Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, as well as heads of the three branches of the government and members of the Cabinet.

[...]

At around 5 p.m., Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, clad in a morning suit and a long dress, respectively, entered the "Matsu no Ma" room at the Imperial Palace. Among the Three Sacred Treasures, known as the Imperial Regalia of Japan, the sacred sword and the sacred jewel as well as State and Privy seals for use in matters of state were brought into the room by chamberlains. They were followed by the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess and other adult members of the Imperial Household.

[...]

"I sincerely wish, together with the Empress, that the Reiwa era, which begins tomorrow, will be a stable and fruitful one, and I pray, with all my heart, for peace and happiness for all the people in Japan and around the world," the Emperor stated. After the speech, he directed his gaze at the ceremony participants.

Emperor Akihito then left the room, accompanied by aides holding the sword, jewel and the seals. Other Imperial Family members followed suit, and the ceremony ended after about 10 minutes.

[...]

Emperor Akihito ascended to the throne on Jan. 7, 1989, upon the demise of Emperor Hirohito, posthumously known as Emperor Showa. Emperor Akihito's reign spanned 30 years, three months and 24 days.
Abdication ceremony from the Prime Minister's Youtube. Skip to 4:00
Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Prisma, thank you for posting those links..Since I got up this morning I've been reading everything I could find on the abdication, and I found watching the actual evening ceremony was unexpectedly moving. Such a simple ceremony, and yet watching the expressions of the different members of the Imperial family, especially Michiko, Masako, and Naruhito, added an interesting dimension. I especially was touched by Akihito turning to wait for and help Michiko down from the dais--the last time he'll need to do that. Also, seeing how frail Michiko looked really brought home that this abdication is not a moment too soon if Akihito and Michiko are to have time to enjoy their last years together--I hope that there are many of those to come!

I wonder if Naruhito and Masako felt the thump as the weight of responsibility and duty settled on their shoulders? From Masako's expression as the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita left the room, I suspect that they did.

I would liked to have seen Fumihito's and Kiko's expressions during the ceremony, too, but unfortunately they were only visible during the exit and entrance.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Nobility

What will the titles of emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko be after abdication? Will they continue to be referred to as emperor/empress or do they go back to prince/princess?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
What will the titles of emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko be after abdication? Will they continue to be referred to as emperor/empress or do they go back to prince/princess?
There is a discussion of this at post #689, further up the page.

The short answer is that in English they will be referred to as the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks to The Regent-Couple for their gentleness, kindness and Emperor Akihito's efforts to bring the IF closer to the public. I.e. with visits to vulnerable groups around Japan, including evacuation centres for people hit by natural disasters, where Their Majesties have literally been sitting on the floor talking with them. - Which is why he has ''won the hearts of his nation,'' as they said it on the BBC.

And on a personal note: Well, this is going to be quite strange for me, because as a big follower of The Imperial Couple, I'm used to regularly checking out for news and videos of them. But most of all, I will REALLY miss seeing the now soon to bee (from midnight, Japanese time) Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita.

BTW, I will also like to say a HUGE ''thank you'' to Prisma for her tireless efforts in providing articles/videos of not just the abdication but on the IF as a whole!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

And a huge thanks to Prisma, from me as well.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Nobility

Abdication ceremony

@Abdication ceremony from the Prime Minister's Youtube #698

It was a very cool ceremony! "Short and painless" as we say in Germany, but full of dignity!

Just 2 points: Everybody among the gentlemen was wearing a "Stresemann" as Germans call that suit with the striped grey trousers, after the German politician which made this form of suit popular in Germany. I have seen this suit lately in France and England (here in the Forums) too. The German nobility is wearing this one for quite a long time... Is this the new official outfit of noble men or did I just not recognize this earlier?

And the new Emperor and his wife showed a little smile at the end... I hope, that was pre-planned and shows their will to give everything for the country, so, no need for sorrows...
Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Just 2 points: Everybody among the gentlemen was wearing a "Stresemann" as Germans call that suit with the striped grey trousers, after the German politician which made this form of suit popular in Germany. I have seen this suit lately in France and England (here in the Forums) too. The German nobility is wearing this one for quite a long time... Is this the new official outfit of noble men or did I just not recognize this earlier?
In the UK we call it a Morning Suit, and has been worn by British men for a long time, typically to weddings.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

It was moving to see how moved both the emperor but even more so the empress (at the end of her husband's address) were moved by this moment that they have been advocating for for so long but it must be bittersweet that it finally happened. That last bow of the emperor was a beautiful moment.

The environment as a whole remains very 'clinical' (it looks more like a hospital than a palace - but that's a more general observation; not just today) with even the regalia kept in their boxes instead of being displayed.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

^ That is a misunderstanding of the nature of Japanese classicism- it is very simple, 'spare' and without applied ornament or fripperies of any kind..

As for the regalia, quite simply is is SACRED, and not for 'ordinary' eyes to see...these items are by tradition seen only by the Emperor and certain priests, so it is doubtful even the Empress has seen them.

There are no known photographs of them.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It was moving to see how moved both the emperor but even more so the empress (at the end of her husband's address) were moved by this moment that they have been advocating for for so long but it must be bittersweet that it finally happened. That last bow of the emperor was a beautiful moment.

The environment as a whole remains very 'clinical' (it looks more like a hospital than a palace - but that's a more general observation; not just today) with even the regalia kept in their boxes instead of being displayed.
I teared up during the last bow as reigning Emperor. It was very moving.

I actually love the minimalism of the Imperial ceremonial rooms. We don't often get a chance to see the details close-up, but I have been struck by the glow of the wood, the exquisite design of the thrones, the subtle patterning on the screens and walls, the harmonious colors, and in this particular ceremony, the beauty of the fabric and cords that encased the regalia. It certainly is a huge difference in aesthetics from Buckingham Palace or other European palaces, or what will be on display during the Thai coronation--all very beautiful, but also different.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
^ That is a misunderstanding of the nature of Japanese classicism- it is very simple, 'spare' and without applied ornament or fripperies of any kind..

As for the regalia, quite simply is is SACRED, and not for 'ordinary' eyes to see...these items are by tradition seen only by the Emperor and certain priests, so it is doubtful even the Empress has seen them.

There are no known photographs of them.
I wouldn't qualify my perspective as a 'misunderstanding'; it's a different understanding for sure. To me it seems all very clinical but I accept that it might be valued differently by most of the Japanese people. So I probably should have said 'seems' clinical (instead of remains clinical) to stress that it's my perception.

Thanks for the additional information on the regalia: too sacred to be seen but still expected to be present (which nobody can verify; although I am sure they wouldn't tamper with that). When would the emperor see them? And has the upcoming emperor ever seen them or would that be part of the rituals tomorrow or of his enthronement/coronation ceremony in October (as an unseen part)?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

The new Emperor will see, and handle most of them during his Enthronement ceremony, which takes place in a kind of curtained, tented kiosk, seen [and conducted by] only the very highest ranks of the Shinto priesthood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthro...panese_Emperor
Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks!

Today I noticed 2 boxes (sword (a replica apparently; so that raises the question why it cannot be seen) and necklace I assume; placed and removed simultaneously) and 2 smaller items (placed and removed last); what is included in those: are their two mirrors? As I read about the most important one being a mirror but it also stated that the mirror wasn't part of the enthronement ceremony... However, they probably use the replica in this case as well.

Edit: just read the answer: the two smaller packages must have been the (privy and state) seals.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
[...]

BTW, I will also like to say a HUGE ''thank you'' to Prisma for her tireless efforts in providing articles/videos of not just the abdication but on the IF as a whole!
You're very welcome! I will miss Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko as well. However, I hope to see them occasionally. Wishing them a relaxing retirement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And a huge thanks to Prisma, from me as well.
You're very welcome! My sleep schedule was ruined but that's ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The new Emperor will see, and handle most of them during his Enthronement ceremony, which takes place in a kind of tented kiosk, seen [and conducted by] only the very highest of the Shinto priesthood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthro...panese_Emperor
The emperor probably has seen the replicas.

Akihito and Japan's Imperial Treasures that make a man an emperor - BBC News
Quote:
[...] But the treasures are so sacred, they are kept hidden from the world.

"We do not know when they were made. We have never seen them," Prof Hideya Kawanishi from Nagoya University told the BBC.

"Even the Emperor has never seen them."

In fact they won't even be at the coronation - replicas (which still won't be seen) will be used, and the originals - if they are even that - will stay at their shrines around the country. [...]
More galleries: Asahi, Getty Images, AP Images

Princess Aiko and Prince Hisahito arriving at the Imperial Palace after 5pm for greetings to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko on April 30. Minor royal greetings was scheduled for 5:50pm.

Mainichi's 5-minute version of the abdication sans PM Abe's speech and regalia/seal setup. Also, filmed from the other side of the room.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the Mainichi footage, Prisma. It gave a valuable and very interesting additional perspective.

I hope you are able to catch up on your sleep!