The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Courtier

So what will the current Emperor and Empress be doing once the abdication?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The policy against women emperors reflects the wishes of political leaders (above all Shinzo Abe) rather than most men (or women) in Japan. Roughly 80% of the polled voters in most surveys believe female succession should be allowed. Here is a 2017 poll regarding succession and membership issues: 70% back female emperor or succession from the female line:The Asahi Shimbun

Are you perhaps referring to the editorial written by the late Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, and if so, didn't he proceed to say the remark about concubines was a joke?
Probably.
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it's that big a joke.
I do believe a number of the more conservative are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid the dreaded prospect of a woman on the throne. - Including various "biological alternatives."
If no egg is available then a "donor-woman" with suitable eggs would be a neat solution. With artificial insemination they don't even have to have intercourse or a relationship - and they can determine the sex of the child...
The woman will have to be made a concubine (i.e. official) in order to ensure the child is legitimate.
If no sperm is available, then cloning is an option. The technology is available now or at least only a few years away.
The ethical aspects and the fact that the Imperial family consists of human beings with emotions is immaterial. It is their sacred duty to Japan and the succession that matters...
And, hush, hush, the people need not be told...
I can easily imagine the ultra-conservatives seriously contemplating such alternatives.

This isn't about logic. To extremists logic, arguments and considerations doesn't apply, because they know they are right.
They have for whatever reason come to the conclusion that women cannot, must not, sit on the throne and as long as they have any political influence, which they unfortunately have, they will fight that prospect with all means.

I believe should there be a situation where there are only females left in the imperial bloodline, they would prefer a regency, until a boy is born, rather than having a female empress. Even if that regency should last decades and de facto turn Japan into a republic. Or a kind of shogunate, if you prefer. - Something many ultra-conservatives would happily welcome BTW! Important decisions shouldn't be left to the whim of the people and democracy anyway.
In fact it would be so much better if the Emperor and the Imperial Family only appear once a year, being driven through the streets of Kyoto and seen suitable worshiping at various Shinto shrines and otherwise only being seen receiving foreign heads of state.
Aloof. - A semi-divine symbol, just like in the good old days. And under control...

Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Things have 'come to a pretty pass' when the continuance of a 1000 year old dynasty is dependent on the life of a small boy aged seven...

It amazes me that the Japanese who are SO up-to-date in so many areas are utterly backward as regards Female succession..
Do they WANT to become a Republic by mistake ???
Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
No, but a republic cannot be established by mistake. Transitioning to a republic would involve extensive reform to the Constitution (which has never been amended after 1947). Should something happen to Hisahito or should he fail to produce a legitimate son, there will be years of political fighting over who ought to follow him on the throne, but Japan will not become a republic.

Quote:
It amazes me that the Japanese who are SO up-to-date in so many areas are utterly backward as regards Female succession..
It is the same as with the ban on female succession in most of the British aristocracy: In fact, the majority of Britons and the majority of Japanese are in favor of female succession, but in both cases, the support of ultra-traditionalists matters more to the British and Japanese governments respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Probably.
Unfortunately I'm not so sure it's that big a joke.
I do believe a number of the more conservative are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid the dreaded prospect of a woman on the throne. - Including various "biological alternatives."
If no egg is available then a "donor-woman" with suitable eggs would be a neat solution. With artificial insemination they don't even have to have intercourse or a relationship - and they can determine the sex of the child...
The woman will have to be made a concubine (i.e. official) in order to ensure the child is legitimate.
If no sperm is available, then cloning is an option. The technology is available now or at least only a few years away.
The ethical aspects and the fact that the Imperial family consists of human beings with emotions is immaterial. It is their sacred duty to Japan and the succession that matters...
And, hush, hush, the people need not be told...
I can easily imagine the ultra-conservatives seriously contemplating such alternatives.
Fortunately for the ultra-nationalists, there is no need to contemplate donor eggs or concubines when they have/had more politically correct alternatives to put forward:

1. "Restoring" male private citizens with traceable male-line imperial lineage to the imperial family.
2. Urging Naruhito to divorce Masako and marry a younger, fertile, and more "compliant" woman. This was apparently supported by Emperor Akihito (even though he is not a nationalist by any means).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I believe should there be a situation where there are only females left in the imperial bloodline, they would prefer a regency, until a boy is born, rather than having a female empress. Even if that regency should last decades and de facto turn Japan into a republic. Or a kind of shogunate, if you prefer. - Something many ultra-conservatives would happily welcome BTW! Important decisions shouldn't be left to the whim of the people and democracy anyway.
In fact it would be so much better if the Emperor and the Imperial Family only appear once a year, being driven through the streets of Kyoto and seen suitable worshiping at various Shinto shrines and otherwise only being seen receiving foreign heads of state.

Aloof. - A semi-divine symbol, just like in the good old days. And under control...
Indeed! This is the explanation why the argument that the imperial family is shrinking carries no water with traditionalists: Many of them would prefer that the imperial family be shrunk.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
No, but a republic cannot be established by mistake. Transitioning to a republic would involve extensive reform to the Constitution (which has never been amended after 1947). Should something happen to Hisahito or should he fail to produce a legitimate son, there will be years of political fighting over who ought to follow him on the throne, but Japan will not become a republic.

It is the same as with the ban on female succession in most of the British aristocracy: In fact, the majority of Britons and the majority of Japanese are in favor of female succession, but in both cases, the support of ultra-traditionalists matters more to the British and Japanese governments respectively.

Fortunately for the ultra-nationalists, there is no need to contemplate donor eggs or concubines when they have/had more politically correct alternatives to put forward:

1. "Restoring" male private citizens with traceable male-line imperial lineage to the imperial family.
2. Urging Naruhito to divorce Masako and marry a younger, fertile, and more "compliant" woman. This was apparently supported by Emperor Akihito (even though he is not a nationalist by any means).

Indeed! This is the explanation why the argument that the imperial family is shrinking carries no water with traditionalists: Many of them would prefer that the imperial family be shrunk.
The difference between Britain and japan is that if Charlotte had been born before George, there is no way in this world the ultra-traditionalists in Britain would win an argument about by-passing Charlotte. Neither politically, nor with the public. Especially not with the extremely long and successful reign of QEII.

In Japan the option of elevating "a commoner" to emperor, before several princesses is a real possibility!

I cannot imagine Naruhito divorcing Masako, that IMO is further out than artificial insemination, where the gender is "engineered".
From the impression I have of his character he simply will not divorce his wife for dynastic reasons.
And while such a step would be applauded by the ultra-conservatives, I doubt very much the Japanese public would find it palatable. That could turn out to be a greater danger to the monarchy than the lack of heirs.

The suggestion to return commoners to royal status goes to show how irrational the ultra-conservatives stance is!
A "King Ralph" solution may work in a film but it is IMO much more questionable whether it would work in real life. Not with several princesses around.
That's the nightmare scenarios for any monarchy through the ages. That a pretender that does not have a broad public backing is put on the throne, while there are alternatives much closer to the throne, who have a broad public backing.
I'm not suggesting the Japanese would start a civil war over this. What I'm saying is that a (more or less enthusiastic) alternative who is put on the throne will have a bad start! Is likely to get little respect and is likely to be the focal point for a lot of discontent as well.
That means that a lot of Japanese may not see him as a "genuine emperor" and simply turn their backs on him. - And a monarchy without public backing, especially a monarchy that is "politically appointed" may very well become irrelevant. And from there there is a little step towards a republic.
Keep in mind that once an emperor is placed on the throne, you can't "fix it" by having him abdicate again, should the political mood shift. That would reduce the Japanese monarchy to a circus!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Things have 'come to a pretty pass' when the continuance of a 1000 year old dynasty is dependent on the life of a small boy aged seven...

I think Japan does not even have Republican movements.

But they should let Aiko be their father's successor.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Facial recognition will be used to register attendees at Emperor Akihito’s 30th anniversary ceremony on February 24th at the National Theater. It'll be the first time a government hosted event will use the system. The goal is to shorten entry time (no more tickets or in-person registration) and become a pillar for security measures, especially for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The 1000+ attendees will scan a "QR code" and submit a selfie. The data will be deleted after the ceremony.

Source: Sankei

Female imperial family members to be barred from key succession rite - Kyodo News
Quote:
The government decided Thursday only male adult imperial family members will attend one of the key ceremonies to mark Crown Prince Naruhito's ascension to the throne on May 1, following the example set by Emperor Akihito's enthronement in 1989.

[...]

The "Kenji to Shokei no Gi" ceremony, in which the new emperor inherits traditional regalia such as the sacred sword and jewels as proof of accession to the throne, will commence at 10:30 a.m. on May 1 at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, with Cabinet ministers, Diet leaders and the chief justice of the Supreme Court taking part.

[...]

But in the "Sokui go Choken no Gi" ritual, or the new emperor's first audience ceremony after the accession to be held later on May 1, female adult imperial family members will be allowed to participate, along with senior parliament and government officials and municipality heads.

The government committee on the imperial succession rites led by Abe also decided Thursday to use a convertible model of Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury sedan Century for a parade scheduled for Oct. 22 to celebrate with the public the new emperor's enthronement.

[...]
ETA: Emperor to give final speech at abdication ceremony:The Asahi Shimbun
Quote:
Emperor Akihito will give a speech at his abdication ceremony [...] on April 30 [...]

About 340 people are expected to attend, including the heads of the three branches of government, Cabinet ministers and local representatives.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will give a speech as the representative of the Japanese people, and Akihito will deliver his final address as emperor.

The abdication ceremony will take place at the Matsu-no-Ma state room within the Imperial Palace. The sacred sword and jewels considered to be the traditional properties that symbolize the emperor's position will be on display there.

[...]

The Jan. 17 meeting also approved the use of a Toyota Century model car for the ceremonial procession that will be held in autumn to celebrate Naruhito’s becoming emperor. The vehicle will be redesigned into a convertible.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Outline set for ceremonies around Emperor’s abdication - The Japan News
Quote:
[…] The Taiirei Seiden no Gi abdication ceremony, to be held for the first time under a constitutional government, will begin at 5 p.m. on April 30, taking into account the time when the Emperor’s official duties will end.

[…] Male participants will be dressed in such clothes as morning coats and the Japanese formal attire of a haori coat and hakama trousers with a family crest, while female participants will be dressed in such clothes as long dresses and white-collared kimono with a family crest.

[…] The Sokuigo Choken no Gi, a ceremony in which the new emperor meets with representatives of the people for the first time after his enthronement, will start at 11:10 a.m. on May 1. A total of 338 people, including the heads of the three branches and representatives of local governments, will be invited to attend the Choken no Gi and Taiirei Seiden no Gi ceremonies.

[…] These events will be held in the Matsu no Ma state room of the Imperial Palace and are expected to last about 10 minutes each. […]
Emperor's abdication and succession ceremonies decided | Nippon TV NEWS24 JAPAN
Quote:
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will meet the heads of the 3 branches of government at 11:30am...
I'm getting mixed up with the ceremonies so I wrote down a brief timeline starting from April 30. Some articles jump around dates and decisions so that adds to the confusion.

April 30:
5pm Taiirei Seiden no Gi abdication ceremony

May 1:
10:30am Kenji to Shokei no Gi ceremony (Naruhito receives the Imperial regalia and state and privy seals, NO female royalty here)
11:10am Sokui go Choken no Gi
11:30am Sokui go Choken no Gi for heads of the 3 branches of government

October 22: enthronement ceremony, parade, court banquet

October 25: court banquet

October 29: court banquet

October 31: court banquet

November 14-15: Daijōsai (Great Thanksgiving Festival)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Courtier

So he will no longer participate in royal stuff anymore? Basically go in hiding after May 1st?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
So he will no longer participate in royal stuff anymore? Basically go in hiding after May 1st?
He will no longer be emperor, and he and the current empress will live privately in retirement.

That's how the changeover has been described, anyway.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
He will no longer be emperor, and he and the current empress will live privately in retirement.

That's how the changeover has been described, anyway.
What if say world leaders would want to meet him? They can’t? Not even for private lunch?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

It would probably depend on whether or not they had an established personal relationship with Akihito and Michiko, in which case a private lunch might be possible. On the other hand, if a personal, private relationship doesn't exist, what would be the point? I'm also very sure that the government and the IHA will want to avoid any confusion or appearance of undermining the status of Naruhito, so overall I think this is unlikely to happen very often, if at all. Another consideration is the health of both Michiko and Akihito, which is one of the reasons for the abdication: they've earned their retirement.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
It would probably depend on whether or not they had an established personal relationship with Akihito and Michiko, in which case a private lunch might be possible. On the other hand, if a personal, private relationship doesn't exist, what would be the point? I'm also very sure that the government and the IHA will want to avoid any confusion or appearance of undermining the status of Naruhito, so overall I think this is unlikely to happen very often, if at all. Another consideration is the health of both Michiko and Akihito, which is one of the reasons for the abdication: they've earned their retirement.
Well it will just depend I guess. All the time world leaders or other royals meet with ex King and Queens.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well it will just depend I guess. All the time world leaders or other royals meet with ex King and Queens.
They may do it sometimes, if the ex royal is a friend, otherwise I can't see why they would.

Quote:

what would It matter if Japain did become a republic?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They may do it sometimes, if the ex royal is a friend, otherwise I can't see why they would.
If I had the chance I would want to meet the current emperor and the new one. That's just me.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If I had the chance I would want to meet the current emperor and the new one. That's just me.
I am pretty sure that is exactly what they want to avoid. Come May 1st, there is one emperor who will receive official visitors. His predecessor happens to still be around but in the opinion of many politicians shouldn't be heard or seen... so no official audiences or anything like that I assume.

So, if you want to visit both you should hurry. Currently, you could visit both the emperor and the crown prince (if you have the right connections/position of course)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Unless you were in some kind of political or diplomatic position, or a personal friend, it is not likely that you would meet either. Once the new emperor comes into his position, the retired one is not emperor any more. I can't quite see why people who would meet the Emperor in an official capacity would wish to confuse the issue by visitng the retired emperor. And he will likely be relieved not to have to deal with official visitors any more now that he has retired partly due to health and age reasons. his personal friends will visit, I am sure but they are personal friends.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Unless you were in some kind of political or diplomatic position, or a personal friend, it is not likely that you would meet either. Once the new emperor comes into his position, the retired one is not emperor any more. I can't quite see why people who would meet the Emperor in an official capacity would wish to confuse the issue by visitng the retired emperor. And he will likely be relieved not to have to deal with official visitors any more now that he has retired partly due to health and age reasons. his personal friends will visit, I am sure but they are personal friends.
I just mean in private. Not public news. It’s like how royals meet with ex presidents and current presidents and also take pics with ex presidents. Really not a big deal.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I just mean in private. Not public news. It’s like how royals meet with ex presidents and current presidents and also take pics with ex presidents. Really not a big deal.
I don't know what you mean exactly. Ex presidents are not the same as Ex Emperors.... and I don't know what royals and presidents you mean...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't know what you mean exactly. Ex presidents are not the same as Ex Emperors.... and I don't know what royals and presidents you mean...
It’s alrifht. If I was in a position to meet the current and new emperor I would do it.!