The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, and like the pope who abdicated. - I can't remember his name off hand.

Retire and only appear for major family events.
For better or worse there should never be any doubt as to who the emperor is and that there is only one.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

As crown prince, Fumihito to keep doors open to public on trains: The Asahi Shimbun
Quote:
Prince Fumihito and his wife, Princess Kiko, will break with custom and travel in train cars that are open to the public after he becomes next in line to the Chrysanthemum Throne.

The Imperial Household Agency on Dec. 17 announced the transportation methods for Fumihito, who will become crown prince after the abdication of his father, Emperor Akihito.

Fumihito’s brother, Crown Prince Naruhito, who will become emperor next year, and his family now travel in Japan Railway and other train cars that are closed to other passengers.

Train cars used by Fumihito and his family are currently not off-limits to other passengers. [...]

"This is the result of talks with the JR side," Yasuhiko Nishimura, vice grand steward of the agency, told a news conference on Dec. 17.

However, the decision is believed to be based on Fumihito’s own intentions.

[...]

After the ascension and abdication, Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako, Akihito and Empress Michiko will travel by special chartered train service, the same method currently used by the emperor and empress.
According to Jiji, Japan Rail requested the new emperor and empress continue to rent train cars as the extra security and personnel would be a burden on train cars with the general public.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's probably a good idea, considering how they mistreat their cars at the Imperial Court.

I was shocked! Shocked to the core!
Old 12-29-2018, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks like Akishino truly wants to set himself apart from the rest of his family as the 'modern' prince (although he doesn't seem that modern when it is about his eldest daughter).
Old 12-29-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
As crown prince, Fumihito to keep doors open to public on trains: The Asahi Shimbun

According to Jiji, Japan Rail requested the new emperor and empress continue to rent train cars as the extra security and personnel would be a burden on train cars with the general public.
Somehow, I can't help being a little cynical about this. We'll see if it actually happens, or if the realities of security and the additional entourage they'll acquire will make this impractical. Since Japan Rail already has pointed out the burden this entails, it sounds to me as though Fumihito mostly wants to draw attention to himself.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. The idea sounds nice and all but who knows what'll actually happen with the extra security and such. I can see Prince Akishino and his family wishing to keep some of the perks they have now. He was not raised as crown prince and his family, like other Imperial branches in the "outer court," enjoy easier movement and less fuss. Sudden restrictions could be stressful. I wonder if Masako's condition could have benefited from less security/entourage.

Japan's new era to be named on April 1st - News - NHK WORLD - English
Quote:
NHK has learned that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has decided to have the name of the country's new era announced on April 1st, after it is approved by the Cabinet earlier in the day.

Abe intends to outline his plan at a news conference on Friday.

[...]
Sankei reports the news conference is planned after PM Abe worships at Ise Grand Shrine on January 4th.
Originally April 11 was considered as the announcement date but it was discovered that the Windows operating system may not be updated by May on all government and private companies systems. That could interfere with pension and unemployment payments.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I agree. The idea sounds nice and all but who knows what'll actually happen with the extra security and such. I can see Prince Akishino and his family wishing to keep some of the perks they have now. He was not raised as crown prince and his family, like other Imperial branches in the "outer court," enjoy easier movement and less fuss. Sudden restrictions could be stressful. I wonder if Masako's condition could have benefited from less security/entourage.

Japan's new era to be named on April 1st - News - NHK WORLD - English

Sankei reports the news conference is planned after PM Abe worships at Ise Grand Shrine on January 4th.
Thank you, Prisma. Is PM Abe normally a frequent visitor at Ise Shrine? Is the same-day shrine visit coincidental or is it a consideration for optics, given that some ultranationalists may see the announcement as a slight to them?

Quote:
Originally April 11 was considered as the announcement date but it was discovered that the Windows operating system may not be updated by May on all government and private companies systems. That could interfere with pension and unemployment payments.
To tell the truth, I have wondered whether all of the ultra-traditionalists lobbying for a delayed announcement understand how computer systems operate, particularly in view of this news item: Japan cybersecurity minister who doesn't use computers says he's also not familiar with cybersecurity | The Japan Times
Old 12-31-2018, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thank you, Prisma. Is PM Abe normally a frequent visitor at Ise Shrine? Is the same-day shrine visit coincidental or is it a consideration for optics, given that some ultranationalists may see the announcement as a slight to them?

To tell the truth, I have wondered whether all of the ultra-traditionalists lobbying for a delayed announcement understand how computer systems operate, particularly in view of this news item: Japan cybersecurity minister who doesn't use computers says he's also not familiar with cybersecurity | The Japan Times
For some reason, I don't find that at all surprising.

I've wondered the same thing about the ultra-nationalists and the delayed announcement. I have the feeling that if left to themselves, business would still be conducted with pen, ink and carrier pigeons.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if Hisahito is old enough if his father will want to just bypass being Emperor altogether and have his son follow his Uncle. It's best for him to be the heir right now but 15 years from now?

I am glad the Emperor and the Empress are being allowed to retire... They deserve a break and be able to enjoy their family and friends.... I see the concerns about being forced abdications but I know Pope Benedict said he felt there was a point where you are not at a certain capacity that you had actually a duty to retire.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
I wonder if Hisahito is old enough if his father will want to just bypass being Emperor altogether and have his son follow his Uncle. It's best for him to be the heir right now but 15 years from now?

I am glad the Emperor and the Empress are being allowed to retire... They deserve a break and be able to enjoy their family and friends.... I see the concerns about being forced abdications but I know Pope Benedict said he felt there was a point where you are not at a certain capacity that you had actually a duty to retire.
There is no guarantee that Prince Akishino (at 53) will live longer than his older brother (who is now only 58 years old) to even become Emperor. And it will be 27 years before the Crown Prince is the age the Emperor is now, so many things can happen before then.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, and if Fumihito outlives Naruhito, my guess is that he will want to be emperor, even if it's just for a few months or years. Barring something major happening, I don't see Fumihito agreeing to be bypassed in favor of his son.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
[...]
I did a quick search on Getty Images and one caption states "Abe kicks off his first day back at work after the holidays by praying at Ise Jingu shrine, continued a tradition observed by successive prime ministers."

Any shrine in Mie according to another photo caption: "It is customary for the Japanese Prime Minister to visit Ise Jingu or one of the 125 other Shinto sanctuarys in the area at the beginning of a new year."

As for the possibility of bypassing Fumihito... I doubt it although there is provision for altering the line of succession in the Imperial House Law.
Quote:
Article 3. In case the Imperial Heir is affected with an incurable and serious disease, mentally or physically, or there is a serious hindrance, the order of succession may be changed by decision of the Imperial House Council ...
Abe decides Emperor Akihito will sign Cabinet order promulgating new era name: gov't - The Mainichi
Quote:
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has decided that the new era name following the enthronement of the Crown Prince will be announced on April 1, and a Cabinet order promulgating the new era name will be signed by Emperor Akihito sometime in April, according to people close to the government.

[...]

Conservatives did agree to a prior announcement, but requested that a Cabinet order promulgating the new era name be signed by the new emperor, so that "the indivisibility of the emperor and the era name" could be maintained.

The request was discussed inside the government, but the prevailing view was that the arrangement is problematic for two reasons. First, it runs counter to the practice of receiving the Emperor's signature on Cabinet decisions as soon as those decisions are made. Second, waiting for the signature of the new emperor raises questions of compatibility with Article 4 of the Constitution, which stipulates that he "shall not have powers related to government."

[...]
Old 01-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love Japan, but I'm a bit sad that they continue to keep the Salic Law. It's so outdated for "modern" countries. Even in Thailand, a princess can inherit the throne if she doesn't have brothers...I hope they change it someday. It won't be in Aiko's time, though she is the "first-in-line". I find it weird that the only child of a future emperor won't be the heir.
Sorry people, I will never understand this situation. If it was a middle east country, okay, but Japan claims to be one of the most modern countries in world, and has fought for human rights, though not so much for women it seems...
Old 01-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Majesty

And there was even a discussion someday of allowing concubines, if I remember well.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And there was even a discussion someday of allowing concubines, if I remember well.
Quite.
The mere suggestion shows how far out some of the conservatives are in their opposition against females becoming regents in Japan.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Royal Highness

Seems to me of course being a woman that the men in Japan are very insecure of being men if they are so afraid of a woman empress. Hasn't the Japanese caught up with the 2019 yet or are they still back in the dark ages. I think the entire world would be better off if all the countries were governed by women.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Seems to me of course being a woman that the men in Japan are very insecure of being men if they are so afraid of a woman empress.
The policy against women emperors reflects the wishes of political leaders (above all Shinzo Abe) rather than most men (or women) in Japan. Roughly 80% of the polled voters in most surveys believe female succession should be allowed. Here is a 2017 poll regarding succession and membership issues: 70% back female emperor or succession from the female line:The Asahi Shimbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Quite.
The mere suggestion shows how far out some of the conservatives are in their opposition against females becoming regents in Japan.
Are you perhaps referring to the editorial written by the late Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, and if so, didn't he proceed to say the remark about concubines was a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Even in Thailand, a princess can inherit the throne if she doesn't have brothers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Hasn't the Japanese caught up with the 2019 yet or are they still back in the dark ages. I think the entire world would be better off if all the countries were governed by women.
Even in 2019, most hereditary monarchies and aristocracies continue to ban women and girls from the succession.

According to this article from 2012 (have the laws been updated?), the official laws of succession in Thailand follow male primogeniture, albeit the Thai monarchy customarily used a flexible approach to following succession laws. A brief guide to Thailand’s royal succession | Andrew MacGregor Marshall
Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

I understand where your coming from yet all these political leaders are men....any man that acts like a woman is less then him shows me how insecure and little he thinks of himself for he takes that out on women......that is my view on the majority of men in this world. I look at the world and all the problems and still the horror that some countries treat their women and wonder why aren't more women in power to change the world today....this is 2019.....not 1219 or even 1919..........okay I am off topic here and will shut up.....I should never start this topic of men and how the world is today and how they treat women with such disrespect.....the stories I could tell in divorce court.......

Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Even in 2019, most hereditary monarchies and aristocracies continue to ban women and girls from the succession.

According to this article from 2012 (have the laws been updated?), the official laws of succession in Thailand follow male primogeniture, albeit the Thai monarchy customarily used a flexible approach to following succession laws. A brief guide to Thailand’s royal succession | Andrew MacGregor Marshall
That's true. Even so, we've seen so many changes in succession laws the last decade, and for the better. Monarchies are disappearing slowly, there are only a few left, so every positive change is welcome in order to survive, e.g. Sweden. Japan needs to modernize the monarchy as well, be more approachable to the people, not only men but women too.
Even if in Thailand they favor males, if they were in the same position as the japanese imperial family, it would be the daughter of the monarch to succeed not the nephew.
Look at what happened to Monaco, even though they favor male successors, they changed the law for Caroline to be in line of the monegasque throne (when Albert didn't had legimate children).

Now, I ask, what if Naruhito's nephew dies or something? What will happen then? They don't have a spare, do they?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Now, I ask, what if Naruhito's nephew dies or something? What will happen then? They don't have a spare, do they?
Years of debate in Parliament, and amongst the rank and file, on which change to the Imperial Household Law ought to be enacted: enable female royals to inherit the throne, or enable distant male cousins who are commoners to become royal. (At the moment, the Imperial Household Law excludes both females and commoners from the throne and allows only female commoners (consorts) to become royal.)