Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Abdication ceremony

@abdication ceremony from the Prime Minister's Youtube #698

It was a very cool ceremony! "Short and painless" as we say in Germany, but full of dignity!

Just 2 points: Everybody among the gentlemen was wearing a "Stresemann" as Germans call that suit with the striped grey trousers, after the German politician which made this form of suit popular in Germany. I have seen this suit lately in France and England (here in the Forums) too. The German nobility is wearing this one for quite a long time... Is this the new official outfit of noble men or did I just not recognize this earlier?

And the new Emperor and his wife showed a little smile at the end... I hope, that was pre-planned and shows their will to give everything for the country, so, no need for sorrows...

Just 2 points: Everybody among the gentlemen was wearing a "Stresemann" as Germans call that suit with the striped grey trousers, after the German politician which made this form of suit popular in Germany. I have seen this suit lately in France and England (here in the Forums) too. The German nobility is wearing this one for quite a long time... Is this the new official outfit of noble men or did I just not recognize this earlier?

In the UK we call it a Morning Suit, and has been worn by British men for a long time, typically to weddings.

It was moving to see how moved both the emperor but even more so the empress (at the end of her husband's address) were moved by this moment that they have been advocating for for so long but it must be bittersweet that it finally happened. That last bow of the emperor was a beautiful moment.

The environment as a whole remains very 'clinical' (it looks more like a hospital than a palace - but that's a more general observation; not just today) with even the regalia kept in their boxes instead of being displayed.

^ That is a misunderstanding of the nature of Japanese classicism- it is very simple, 'spare' and without applied ornament or fripperies of any kind..

As for the regalia, quite simply is is SACRED, and not for 'ordinary' eyes to see...these items are by tradition seen only by the Emperor and certain priests, so it is doubtful even the Empress has seen them.

There are no known photographs of them.

Last edited:
It was moving to see how moved both the emperor but even more so the empress (at the end of her husband's address) were moved by this moment that they have been advocating for for so long but it must be bittersweet that it finally happened. That last bow of the emperor was a beautiful moment.

The environment as a whole remains very 'clinical' (it looks more like a hospital than a palace - but that's a more general observation; not just today) with even the regalia kept in their boxes instead of being displayed.

I teared up during the last bow as reigning Emperor. It was very moving.

I actually love the minimalism of the Imperial ceremonial rooms. We don't often get a chance to see the details close-up, but I have been struck by the glow of the wood, the exquisite design of the thrones, the subtle patterning on the screens and walls, the harmonious colors, and in this particular ceremony, the beauty of the fabric and cords that encased the regalia. It certainly is a huge difference in aesthetics from Buckingham Palace or other European palaces, or what will be on display during the Thai coronation--all very beautiful, but also different.

^ That is a misunderstanding of the nature of Japanese classicism- it is very simple, 'spare' and without applied ornament or fripperies of any kind..

As for the regalia, quite simply is is SACRED, and not for 'ordinary' eyes to see...these items are by tradition seen only by the Emperor and certain priests, so it is doubtful even the Empress has seen them.

There are no known photographs of them.

I wouldn't qualify my perspective as a 'misunderstanding'; it's a different understanding for sure. To me it seems all very clinical but I accept that it might be valued differently by most of the Japanese people. So I probably should have said 'seems' clinical (instead of remains clinical) to stress that it's my perception.

Thanks for the additional information on the regalia: too sacred to be seen but still expected to be present (which nobody can verify; although I am sure they wouldn't tamper with that). When would the emperor see them? And has the upcoming emperor ever seen them or would that be part of the rituals tomorrow or of his enthronement/coronation ceremony in October (as an unseen part)?

Thanks!

Today I noticed 2 boxes (sword (a replica apparently; so that raises the question why it cannot be seen) and necklace I assume; placed and removed simultaneously) and 2 smaller items (placed and removed last); what is included in those: are their two mirrors? As I read about the most important one being a mirror but it also stated that the mirror wasn't part of the enthronement ceremony... However, they probably use the replica in this case as well.

Edit: just read the answer: the two smaller packages must have been the (privy and state) seals.

[...]

BTW, I will also like to say a HUGE ''thank you'' to Prisma for her tireless efforts in providing articles/videos of not just the abdication but on the IF as a whole!
You're very welcome! I will miss Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko as well. However, I hope to see them occasionally. Wishing them a relaxing retirement!
And a huge thanks to Prisma, from me as well. :flowers: :notworthy:
You're very welcome! My sleep schedule was ruined but that's ok. ?
The new Emperor will see, and handle most of them during his Enthronement ceremony, which takes place in a kind of tented kiosk, seen [and conducted by] only the very highest of the Shinto priesthood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthronement_of_the_Japanese_Emperor
The emperor probably has seen the replicas.

Akihito and Japan's Imperial Treasures that make a man an emperor - BBC News
[...] But the treasures are so sacred, they are kept hidden from the world.

"We do not know when they were made. We have never seen them," Prof Hideya Kawanishi from Nagoya University told the BBC.

"Even the Emperor has never seen them."

In fact they won't even be at the coronation - replicas (which still won't be seen) will be used, and the originals - if they are even that - will stay at their shrines around the country. [...]

More galleries: Asahi, Getty Images, AP Images

Princess Aiko and Prince Hisahito arriving at the Imperial Palace after 5pm for greetings to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko on April 30. Minor royal greetings was scheduled for 5:50pm.
Mainichi's 5-minute version of the abdication sans PM Abe's speech and regalia/seal setup. Also, filmed from the other side of the room.

Last edited:
Thank you for the Mainichi footage, Prisma. It gave a valuable and very interesting additional perspective.

I hope you are able to catch up on your sleep!

The Emperor has abdicated. Long live the Emperor!

Naruhito is now Emperor of Japan. Welcome to the Reiwa Era.

Last edited:
The Emperor has abdicated. Long live the Emperor!

Naruhito is now Emperor of Japan. Welcome to the Reiwa Era.

Once again, it appears that the English Wikipedia got it wrong. The updated Naruhito page lists his current style as "His Imperial Majesty", but I was under the impression that the Emperors of Japan now go by "His Majesty" only in English. What is the correct style ?

Indeed, the Reiwa Era started not quite two hours ago - it is a very historical and rare moment we have witnessed today and I am glad to have seen it all!

The Abdication Ceremony was as I expected it to be - very simple, very formal and with no pomp or ceremony in the usual definition of the words. Everyone played their parts perfectly and with great dignity. The moment of the Emperor's speech was moving as was the moment he stepped down from the dias, bowing and pausing to assist the ever elegant Empress step down from the dias herself.

The tables upon which the Imperial Sword, the Imperial Jewel and the State and Emperor's Seals were place, were made from Japanese Cedar wood - an expensive and carefully cultivated material, which would have been cut and sawn and crafted by a traditional artisan to create the simple design.

My understanding of the third element of the Imperial Regalia - the Sacred Mirror - is that it is housed in the Isa Shrine and never taken out - hence it was not seen in today's ceremony nor will be seen at the enthronement ceremony in October.

:japanstandard:

I especially was touched by Akihito turning to wait for and help Michiko down from the dais.

Agree. It was one of the most memorable moments.

The ceremony was simple and beautiful. Something like that I expected. It is quite unbelievable that it is finally here, it seems like the time I first heard about emperor's abdication plans was long time ago.
The Japanese people and I will miss them very much, I wish them all the best!

Emperors/Empresses are 'Imperial Majesties..
Kings/Queens are *simple* Majesties...

I know emperors are (normally) "Imperial Majesties", but, again, I was under the impression that the Emperors of Japan in particular had now chosen to be called "Majesty" only ( in English) so that is why I asked.

Last edited:
I will never understand why these imperial ladies always look so boring and stuffy when it comes to fashion....?!
The Crown Princess, the new Empress (but all the other imperial ladies are hardly any better) has worn this kind of hat a 1000 times before - I thought she would choose something new and elegant for this very special ceremony today. But no, again nothing but hats looking like pots or pill boxes we have seen since about 25, 30 years...

Well, it sure is hard work abdicating!

With all that ceremonial the poor man must be exhausted!

I will never understand why these imperial ladies always look so boring and stuffy when it comes to fashion....?!
The Crown Princess, the new Empress (but all the other imperial ladies are hardly any better) has worn this kind of hat a 1000 times before - I thought she would choose something new and elegant for this very special ceremony today. But no, again nothing but hats looking like pots or pill boxes we have seen since about 25, 30 years...

All ceremonies and events that take place in the Imperial Palace and beyond by members of the Imperial Family are very formal and this is reflected in the the clothes worn - both by the women and the men - where the latest fashion styles and trends play no part.

The Emperor himself has always worn a morning suit at such occasions (unless performing Shinto rights and rituals), which suits the occasion best, rather than his trying out a blue slim-fit suit and skinny-tie for instance, which would be at odds with the formality of the occasion.

The same protocol is reflected in the styles worn by the women - generally a long dress in a plain colour and a simple hat. Hats may not have wide brims and garish accessories such as feathers or bows would not be suited to the Court aesthetic.

In the olden days, traditional Court dress would have been worn and the style and design would have been completely unchanging with no variation at all. The fact that the design of dress these days is "western" in style does not alter the requirement for limited variation.

Further discussion on Empress Masako's fashion can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...n-and-style-part-1-november-2008-a-19034.html

Once again, it appears that the English Wikipedia got it wrong. The updated Naruhito page lists his current style as "His Imperial Majesty", but I was under the impression that the Emperors of Japan now go by "His Majesty" only in English. What is the correct style ?

Emperors/Empresses are 'Imperial Majesties..
Kings/Queens are *simple* Majesties...

Mbruno is right. "Heika" was formerly translated as Imperial Majesty, but the translation was changed to Majesty last century (if my memory serves me correctly, it occurred after Japan's defeat in the war).

Note how the English version of the official website of the Imperial Household Agency refers to the members of the Imperial Family.

Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress
Their Majesties the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita
Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino and their family
Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Hitachi
Her Imperial Highness Princess Mikasa and her family
Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado and her family​

Genealogy - The Imperial Household Agency

Note how the English version of the official website of the Imperial Household Agency refers to the members of the Imperial Family.
Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress
Their Majesties the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita
Their Imperial Highnesses Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino and their family
Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Hitachi
Her Imperial Highness Princess Mikasa and her family
Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado and her family​
Genealogy - The Imperial Household Agency

Why is Princess Takamado and Fanmily listed but not her sister-in-law Pricness Tomohito of Mikasa?

:previous:

Each cadet branch has its own page. As a member of the Mikasa branch, Princess Tomohito of Mikasa is included under "Her Imperial Highness Princess Mikasa [her mother-in-law] and her family".

:previous:

Each cadet branch has its own page. As a member of the Mikasa branch, Princess Tomohito of Mikasa is included under "Her Imperial Highness Princess Mikasa [her mother-in-law] and her family".

But both the late husbands of Pricne Tomhitio and Princess Takamado where heads of a cadet branch. Therefore i don't understand why one is listed separate but not the others as their late husbands had the same status.

:previous: Prince Tomohito was never the head of the Mikasa branch. His father Prince Mikasa was head and now Princess Yuriko is the head.

:previous: Prince Tomohito was never the head of the Mikasa branch. His father Prince Mikasa was head and now Princess Yuriko is the head.

But was he not the Head of the Tomohito branch. Or was this his name and not his Title. And if yes why was he not given his own Title like his brothers?

But was he not the Head of the Tomohito branch. Or was this his name and not his Title. And if yes why was he not given his own Title like his brothers?
Yes, his personal name was Tomohito, so he was Prince Tomohito of Mikasa. As the eldest son of Prince Mikasa, Prince Tomohito was supposed to succeed his father so he was never given his own branch.

Last edited:
His personal name was Tomohito, so he was Prince Tomohito of Mikasa. As the eldest son of Prince Mikasa, Prince Tomohito was supposed to succeed his father so he was never given his own branch.

Thanks. No i understand. Thought the Titles where pesonal and could not be inherited. To my the names and Titles of the Japanese Imperial Family look the same and i can't tell which is a Name and which a Title.

Thanks. No i understand. Thought the Titles where pesonal and could not be inherited. To my the names and Titles of the Japanese Imperial Family look the same and i can't tell which is a Name and which a Title.

In modern times, the personal names (forenames) of male royals all use 仁, pronounced as "hito", as the last character, and the personal names of female royals all use 子, pronounced as "ko", as the last character. Even the current commoner-born wives all happen to have personal names ending in "ko". :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom