Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prisma, how do Japanese people (on social media, etc.) feel about the government's choice of name?

I have seen Westerners speculating that the name was intended to have nationalist undertones, since another meaning of the word "rei" is "give a command" and the word "wa" is a repeat from the name of Emperor Hirohito's Showa era, which of course is best remembered for Japan's colonization of East Asia and World War Two. Do you think the Abe administration could have intended that?

Prisma, how do Japanese people (on social media, etc.) feel about the government's choice of name?

I have seen Westerners speculating that the name was intended to have nationalist undertones, since another meaning of the word "rei" is "give a command" and the word "wa" is a repeat from the name of Emperor Hirohito's Showa era, which of course is best remembered for Japan's colonization of East Asia and World War Two. Do you think the Abe administration could have intended that?

Yes, this is exactly what I have been wondering about, and why I said that the information in the linked article was worth thinking about. There's something about the name that gave me a little jolt of uneasiness, although, considering the Abe government, it's not precisely a surprise.

I also would be very interested in hearing what Prisma has to say about this and what the response has been in Japan.

Thanks for the update!:flowers:
It is interesting that the new era has been chosen from the classic Japanese literature. Hopefully Reiwa will usher in happiness, prosperity, and stability for the Japanese people.

Last edited:
5 other candidates in era name shortlist revealed - The Mainichi
[...] The other five were "Eiko," "Kyuka," "Koshi," "Banna," and "Banpo."

According to the source, Eiko comes from Japanese literature, while Koshi is derived from China's oldest poetry anthology, the "Classic of Poetry," but also can be traced to Japanese works.

Both Banna and Banpo are based on Chinese classics, with Banna having two separate sources.

[...]

Among the latter group, Reiwa is derived from "Manyoshu," the oldest Japanese poetry anthology, while the other two are based on the "Chronicles of Japan" (Nihon Shoki) and the "Records of Ancient Matters" (Kojiki) [...]
Really?! "Koshi" was an option? The characters are different but that sounds similar to Prince Akishino's new title in Japanese. :ohmy:

広至 -> era name Koshi
皇嗣 -> new Kōshi title for Prince Akishino

Tatiana Maria, Ista: reaction in Japan seems mostly favorable. Yes, nationalistic sentiments has been noted, along with the government getting a name from a Japanese classic rather than a Chinese classic.

'Manyoshu': Know the Poetry Collection Where Japan’s New Era Name Comes From | JAPAN Forward
[...] The English translation of the preface goes thus: “It is now the choice month of early spring, the weather is fine, the wind is soft. The plum blossom opens…”

In the original text, the words “choice month” (reigetsu, 令月) and “soft wind” (kaze odayaka, 風和 ) are the key influences, and by combining the characters 令 and 和, the era name Reiwa (令和) was created.

Commentators have also pointed out that 令 refers to the month of February, which is the birth month of Crown Prince Naruhito [...]

Some quotes and chaos from yesterday

Japanese public welcomes 'Reiwa' as new era name - The Mainichi
"I'm glad there is the 'wa' character of 'heiwa' (the Japanese word for peace) included," said Masane Kudaka [...]

"There were many natural disasters during the Heisei era so I hope the coming years will be as good as the kanji character for 'wa' signifies," [Takako Miyasato] said.

[...]

"The kanji character for 'rei' is nice," [Rika Nozawa] said.

[...]

"The impression is cold. An era name, at least, should give a more gentle impression," said one.

Suspense novelist Kaoru Takamura said the character for "rei," which is also used to form a word meaning "to order," reminds people more of control and regulation, and by combining it with "wa" meaning harmony, the era name could be interpreted as "controlling people to harmonize."

"The sound of 'rei' gives off a cold impression, and does not carry a positive image..."

[...]

Meanwhile, people with the same name or names that use the same kanji characters as Reiwa expressed surprise.

"I was watching TV and I wondered why they were showing my name," said 80-year-old Yoshikazu Nakanishi, an Akashi city resident whose name is written exactly the same way as the new era. [...]
Public reacts to era name, shares hopes, dreams going forward: The Asahi Shimbun
“It’s a good name, partly meaning peace,” said [Tomoya Hatano] [...] “As the Tokyo Olympics and Osaka Expo will be held in the near future, I want it to become an era for us to hold harmony with the world in high regard."

[...] “It sounds somewhat stiff, in my opinion,” said [Yu] Takada. “It’s hard to understand the meaning. I wish the name were more personable.”
Japanese excited as new era name 'Reiwa' revealed - The Mainichi
Osaka's central train station was swamped with hundreds of passersby hoping to get a copy of a newspaper extra with the headline "New era name is Reiwa" for posterity. An ambulance arrived after several people including children and elderly were knocked down in the scramble.
Crown prince nods when learning new era name prepared for his reign - The Mainichi
Crown Prince Naruhito nodded with a gentle smile when he learned Monday that the government had picked "Reiwa" [...]

"I understand," he was quoted as telling Yasuhiko Nishimura, the vice grand steward of the agency who explained the new era name to the crown prince prior to the announcement made to the public before noon.

[...]

The 85-year-old emperor looked calm as usual when he heard about the two Chinese characters that will replace the current era name, Heisei, according to the agency's Grand Steward Shinichiro Yamamoto. [...]
'Reiwa' era name announcement draws plaudits, mountains of internet mentions
Some 64 percent of respondents to an online poll by internet search portal Yahoo! Japan approve of the next "Reiwa" era name [...]

As of just before noon on April 2, some 213,325 votes had been cast in the survey, with 64.3 percent in favor of the next era name. Some 28 percent said they did not think it was a good choice, with 8 percent stating they did not know or were indifferent.

[...] The survey will run until April 11. [...]
Foreign media focus on break in tradition in picking Japan's era names - The Mainichi
[...] "The break from 1,400 years of drawing era names from Chinese classics was expected from Abe's conservative government, which is often hawkish toward China," the Associated Press said in a dispatch from Tokyo.

Under the headline, "Japan snubs China at dawn of new imperial era," British newspaper The Times reported the selection of "Reiwa" for the new era "reflects the nationalist pride of its prime minister, Shinzo Abe, and its tense relations with China."

[...]

The New York Times quoted Ken Ruoff, a professor of history at Portland State University, as saying Abe made an "unquestionably significant" choice by selecting an era name, or "gengo," from Japanese literature.

"He went out of his way to emphasize that this is Japanese tradition," Ruoff, an expert on the Japanese imperial system, was quoted as saying.

[...]
Political parties back new era name Reiwa, but some question use of character for 'rei' - The Mainichi
[...]

Komeito leader Natsuo Yamaguchi received a phone call from Abe soon after Suga announced the new era name. On March 28 [...] Abe had told Yamaguchi, "I want to make the (next) era one in which hopes and dreams bloom brilliantly." When Yamaguchi was asked by reporters whether he thought this provided a clue for the new era name, he responded, "Thinking about it now, I may be able to find common meanings."

[...] some received the character for "rei" less enthusiastically. Yamaguchi himself commented, "I thought it was a little unusual. I was a bit surprised." Former LDP Secretary-General Shigeru Ishiba, meanwhile, commented, "Everyone was like 'What?' when they saw it was the 'rei' from 'meirei' (order)." Another LDP executive commented, "It sounds a little cold."

Social Democratic Party leader Seiji Mataichi was even more critical of the use of the character than Ishiba. "You can't deny the feeling that it indicates a strengthening of discipline and control of the people, which the Abe administration is aiming for. I strongly request that the use of the new era name does not become mandatory," he said.

[...]

Kazuo Shii, chairman of the Japanese Communist Party, told reporters, "An era name is not something that fits in with the sovereignty of the people under the Constitution, but we do not oppose the public using it customarily."

[...]

Last edited:
Will there be a separate thread for Naruhito's May 1st succession?

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, accompanied by adult members of the Imperial family will make 6 balcony appearances for general public greetings on May 4.

1st-3rd appearances: Emperor, Empress, Crown Prince Akishino, Crown Princess Kiko, and adult members of the Imperial family
4th-6th appearances: Emperor, Empress, Crown Prince Akishino, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Mako, Princess Kako

Entry times: 9:30am - 2:30pm

1st appearance: 10am
2nd appearance: 11am
3rd appearance: noon
4th appearance: 1pm
5th appearance: 2pm
6th appearance: 3pm

Source: kunaicho.go.jp

The Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita will not attend, neither will Princess Aiko or Prince Hisahito as they're minors. :sad:

Sigh, I wish Princess Aiko could attend but the IHA are rather strict on minor vs. adult royalty. Also, Aiko and Hisahito might have school... it's common for Japanese schools to hold Saturday lessons.

Anyway, I hope to see Princess Yuriko and maybe Princess Yoko? It's kinda weird I haven't seen any photo of Yoko at January 2nd New Year's balcony greetings.

New Emperor to appear on balcony 6 times May 4 - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...]

The agency calls on people who want to attend the event to allow plenty of time to get there on May 4. They estimate it could take more than two hours to reach the palace's main gate due to congestion.

The agency also plans to allow people to sign special books to offer congratulations at some of its offices on May 4 and 5.

Expecting to brave two hours of congestion just to wave to/take photographs of the royal family... As I generally read the more sober English coverage, it is unfortunately too easy to lose sight of the massive interest in the royals!

I imagine it has risen to wall-to-wall coverage and huge public excitement by this time?

Gold-dusted buns and a $908 bill?! Kudos to their ingenuity, but I have to wonder what sort of buyers (if any) they are seeing. ;)

You're welcome! I'm glad staff will move with their current households. I'm weary of additional upheaval on CP Masako's condition. There's enough change with more staff, moving to the Imperial Residence, and new role. Perhaps the connection to the Foreign Ministry helps Masako (although it could easily be a discomfort as that's the career she gave up... I'm not sure)

Good points! From the other side, I can similarly imagine former Foreign Ministry officials either being more empathetic to a former "colleague" or being chillier to one of their own who has "dishonored" them.

The government or IHA always intended to keep the Akishino name as it's existed for nearly 30 years and people are familiar with it. I can't remember where I read it; probably some pages back in this thread. The "Koshi" title clarifies Prince Akishino's first-in-succession position...which is mentioned so often, I'd be amazed if any Japanese doesn't know about it by now.

True, but wouldn't the loss of the name be inevitable on Fumihito or Hisahito's accession? I thought that keeping it might create the sense that they have not fully gained the status of senior/direct line royal, although I could be mistaken.

The Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita will not attend, neither will Princess Aiko or Prince Hisahito as they're minors. :sad:

Sigh, I wish Princess Aiko could attend but the IHA are rather strict on minor vs. adult royalty. Also, Aiko and Hisahito might have school... it's common for Japanese schools to hold Saturday lessons.

Anyway, I hope to see Princess Yuriko and maybe Princess Yoko? It's kinda weird I haven't seen any photo of Yoko at January 2nd New Year's balcony greetings.

At least they did not bend the rules for Hisahito alone as they considered doing with one of the ceremonies (was it the transfer of the regalia?).

Has Yoko lately been out of the public eye? It feels as if a long time has passed since I last noticed her in your frequent news posts about the Mikasa/Takamado branch. I do hope everything is well with her.

And all of my thanks for posting so many news stories and information during these busy and exciting few months!

I emailed NHK World about live coverage for abdication, succession and enthronement but their response was not helpful. :ermm:

"In reply to your inquiry, we confirm you that mentioned ceremonies will be reported in NHK NEWSLINE of NHK WORLD-JAPAN on its respective date; and this is all what we can inform you at this very moment. "

I found NHK has a live blog for the Heisei Reiwa transition: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/liveblog/heisei_to_reiwa/index.html
[...]

Good points! From the other side, I can similarly imagine former Foreign Ministry officials either being more empathetic to a former "colleague" or being chillier to one of their own who has "dishonored" them.
Yea, I hope they are empathetic rather than chilly.
True, but wouldn't the loss of the name be inevitable on Fumihito or Hisahito's accession? I thought that keeping it might create the sense that they have not fully gained the status of senior/direct line royal, although I could be mistaken.
Yeah... who knows. Whatever the IHA/government wants...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least they did not bend the rules for Hisahito alone as they considered doing with one of the ceremonies (was it the transfer of the regalia?).

Has Yoko lately been out of the public eye? It feels as if a long time has passed since I last noticed her in your frequent news posts about the Mikasa/Takamado branch. I do hope everything is well with her.

And all of my thanks for posting so many news stories and information during these busy and exciting few months!
True, at least the IHA is consistent about "no minors." I'd be terribly upset if Hisahito got an exception but Aiko was excluded from everything.

Princess Yoko was recently at a martial arts tournament celebrating the emperor's 30 year reign and the music graduates concert. She doesn't have as many events as her sister or mother but I need to look again. Maybe some organization updated their website or blog...

It's still weird she apparently has never attended January 2 public greetings. It's been 15 years since her coming-of-age.

English version: Visit of the General Public to the Imperial Palace after the Accession to the Throne (May 4, 2019) - The Imperial Household Agency

Last edited:
Emperor's abdication ceremony set for April 30 - News - NHK WORLD - English
The Japanese government has officially decided to hold Emperor Akihito's abdication ceremony on April 30 as an act of state stipulated under the Constitution.

[...]

Taiirei-Seiden-no-gi, or the Ceremony of the Abdication of His Majesty the Emperor at the State Hall, will be held for 10 minutes from 5:00 p.m. on April 30 in the Matsu-no-ma state room in the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

The ceremony will be attended by more than 330 dignitaries, including the heads of Japan's legislative, executive and judiciary branches, Cabinet ministers as well as the heads of local governments.

After the Emperor and Empress Michiko enter the room, the Imperial Sword and Jewel -- two of the three treasures that are symbols of the Imperial throne -- will be placed on stands called "an." The State and Privy Seals, used by the Emperor for state duties, will also be displayed.

[...]
Hmph. So Imperial women are allowed with the Imperial regalia for the abdication ceremony but banned the next morning at the inheritance ceremony. Urg. :bang:

Some roads will be closed when Crown Prince Naruhito makes the 15-minute commute from Akasaka Estate to the Imperial Palace for the abdication and succession ceremonies on April 30 and May 1. Nearby streets will have security checkpoints.

Source: news.tv-asahi.co.jp
traffic_15min_20190430.jpg

New Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will greet the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita after the series of ceremonies on May 1.

Source: news.tbs.co.jp

Last edited:

Then the IHA has decided to use "Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino" in English. I stand by my opinion that "Crown Prince Fumihito and Crown Princess Kiko" would have been the more suitable translation. There is already a misperception by many Westerners that "Akishino" is Fumihito's given name...

Emperor's abdication ceremony set for April 30 - News - NHK WORLD - English

Hmph. So Imperial women are allowed with the Imperial regalia for the abdication ceremony but banned the next morning at the inheritance ceremony. Urg. :bang:

I apologize if I missed the explanation, but do you mean that the imperial women will be permitted to attend the abdication ceremony because it is declared an act of state?

True, at least the IHA is consistent about "no minors." I'd be terribly upset if Hisahito got an exception but Aiko was excluded from everything.

Agreed. And my mistake, it was reportedly the government (unsurprisingly) that considered giving an exception to Hisahito while keeping Aiko excluded.

Princess Yoko was recently at a martial arts tournament celebrating the emperor's 30 year reign and the music graduates concert. She doesn't have as many events as her sister or mother but I need to look again. Maybe some organization updated their website or blog...

It's still weird she apparently has never attended January 2 public greetings. It's been 15 years since her coming-of-age.

Thank you, I never spotted this! Strange indeed. Could she perhaps suffer from vertigo or for some reason always pass the New Year's holidays someplace a long distance from Tokyo?

Emperor Akihito, accompanied by Empress Michiko, will visit the mausoleum of Emperor Showa (Hirohito) on April 23rd to report his abdication. Visits to the mausoleums of Emperors Komei, Meiji, and Taisho are planned after abdication.
Source: Sankei

Should this be interpreted as showing that the emperor's father takes precedence over the earlier emperors, or the other way around?

Then the IHA has decided to use "Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino" in English. I stand by my opinion that "Crown Prince Fumihito and Crown Princess Kiko" would have been the more suitable translation. There is already a misperception by many Westerners that "Akishino" is Fumihito's given name...
I've seen English Mainichi use Prince Fumihito. Not sure how consistently but hopefully the media do not follow the IHA on this. English Asahi already uses Prince Akishino and Prince Fumihito.
I apologize if I missed the explanation, but do you mean that the imperial women will be permitted to attend the abdication ceremony because it is declared an act of state?
No need to apologize. I didn't give an explanation. Both the abdication and inheritance ceremonies are state acts. I was reacting to the article clearly stating Empress Michiko (and presumably other Imperial women) can be present for an emperor giving up the throne but when an emperor inherits the same covered up regalia. It's ridiculous.
Thank you, I never spotted this! Strange indeed. Could she perhaps suffer from vertigo or for some reason always pass the New Year's holidays someplace a long distance from Tokyo?
Could be. Princess Yoko regularly attends New Year's receptions on January 1st; it's hard to believe she always has something scheduled for January 2nd. I can see her not attending the first few years or occasionally after turning 20 due to university or her job but not all 15 years...
Should this be interpreted as showing that the emperor's father takes precedence over the earlier emperors, or the other way around?
I don't know. I think Emperor Hirohito should be first as he's the immediate predecessor.

Reuters TV Live has the abdication and succession on their schedule.

ReutersTV_schedule.png

Reuters TV has links for the events but they could be temporary.

Japanese Emperor Akihito's abdication ceremony - Reuters TV

Abdication_ReutersTV.png

Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito becomes emperor - Reuters TV

CPNaruhito_emperor_ReutersTV.png

ETA: The British Ambassador to Japan delivered a message from Queen Elizabeth to Emperor Akihito and Crown Prince Naruhito on April 24

ETA: Japan to Spend Record ¥16.6 Billion on Coronation of New Emperor | Nippon.com
[...] Most of the ceremonies and special events are taking place in fiscal 2019, for which ¥14.4 billion has been set aside. The sum also includes funds already allocated in the fiscal 2018 budget and expenditures to be covered in the fiscal 2020 budget. Costs are an estimated 30% higher than when Emperor Akihito succeeded to the throne in 1989. The government says it has tried to rein in expenses by reducing the number of guests and special banquets to be held but that higher expenses for labor and materials have pushed costs up.

[...]

In addition to key ceremonies in 2019 and 2020, another 43 events will take place between March and November this year. The government has provided ¥3.2 billion in the Imperial Household Agency’s 2018 and 2019 budgets for these functions.

[...]

The agency has set aside some ¥1.2 billion for renovations, mainly at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo where the new emperor and his family will live and at the residence of Prince Akishino, who will become the new crown prince. An additional ¥2.9 billion will go toward expanding staff for the emperor’s family, the retired emperor and empress, and Prince Akishino’s family. Total staff numbers will increase from 159 to 191. Attendants for the new imperial family will increase from 56 to 75, and from 24 to 51 for the new crown prince’s family. Meanwhile, staff for the retired emperor and empress will be cut from 79 to 65.

Last edited:
Maybe this question has already been asked and answered. Have they published the list of foreign dignitaries who are going to attend the ceremony?

:previous: You mean foreign royalty? I don't think any are attending the abdication or succession ceremony. Foreign royalty and other dignitaries will be invited to the enthronement in October.

Nikkei created visuals with Google Earth and diagrams of the ceremonies! The diagrams are awesome and hilarious. :lol:

https://vdata.nikkei.com/newsgraphics/kaigen-kyuden/
Tap 当日の日程 or "Schedule of the Day" (it's the last menu item) for the diagrams and then scroll down.
If you use Chrome, the google translation is decent and funny.

A brief video on how to use the site:

ETA: Some articles as Japan starts the 10-day Golden Week holidays

How Will Basic Services Be Affected by the 10-Day Golden Week Holiday? | Nippon.com

Hospitals scramble to secure doctors for 10-day Golden Week in Japan - The Mainichi
[...]

By hiring doctors to work temporarily, many medical institutions have sought to give their physicians enough days off as they and businesses have been aiming to change the notorious culture of long work hours. However, some hospitals in rural areas have given up plans for temporary recruitment and are asking their own doctors to work longer instead.

M. Stage Co., a Tokyo-based medical personnel resource service company, said, as of April 22, it had received 4,538 requests to dispatch doctors between April 27 and May 6, about 800 more than what it received during last year's Golden Week period.

[...]

Japan has enacted a law to have one-off public holidays that will stretch the length of Golden Week this year. [...]

The move has not been entirely welcome though because many businesses including banks and regular nursery schools will be closed during the period, and the longer holiday season can mean longer work hours and disruption of work-life balance for those working in service industries.

"I wonder if the government thoroughly considered the impact on the medical front," said an official at a hospital in Hokkaido.

Hospitals in rural areas are chronically short of staff and have struggled to find replacements.

The Hokkaido hospital itself began looking for substitute doctors to fill night shifts during Golden Week but their efforts were in vain. Consequently, it decided to have its staff physicians work longer to fill overnight shifts, according to the official.

[...]
A mad rush to leave as extended 10-day Golden Week gets going: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

Officials of Narita International Airport Corp. said about 60,700 passengers were expected to leave on April 27, the largest number since the facility in Chiba Prefecture outside Tokyo opened in 1978.

[...]

May 5 is expected to be the peak day for returning passengers.

[...]

The Japan Railway companies operating Shinkansen bullet trains said many of the Nozomi trains on the Tokaido Shinkansen Line were leaving Tokyo Station on the morning of April 27 without a single empty non-reserved seat.

Expressways are also expected to be heavily congested during Golden Week.

Officials of the Japan Road Traffic Information Center said outbound expressways would be congested during the morning hours, with heaviest traffic expected on May 3. Inbound expressways are expected to become busier in the evening hours, with peak traffic expected on May 4 and 5.

Last edited:
Sorry for being late to the party but will the Emperor keep his title after the abdication?

Gov't mulls amnesty for disgraced bureaucrats when Crown Prince ascends to throne in 2019 - The Mainichi

[…]

Major national celebratory events, such as the ascension of new emperor or the birth of a crown prince, or mourning events such as an emperor's funeral, are usually accompanied by amnesties. Criminal punishment is struck down or commuted without a trial. Waivers of punishment for bureaucrats as part of these amnesties were made on three occasions out of the 10 times amnesties have been granted under the current Constitution: when the Treaty of Peace with Japan took effect in 1952 to officially end the war between Japan and the Allied forces, when Okinawa was returned to Japan from U.S. administrative rule in 1972 and when Emperor Showa's funeral was held in 1989.

[…]

Some officials in the government say that following the 1989 precedent is appropriate. But if the same standards are applied, punishments handed down in recent cases that drew strong public rebuke could be eliminated, risking rekindling public resentment over the scandals.

[…]

Have there been any further announcements on the matter? 1989 was a different era (no pun intended), and the optics of taking advantage of a national celebration of the ancient monarchy to excuse the government's corruption scandals might be perceived as less than desirable.

ETA: Some articles as Japan starts the 10-day Golden Week holidays

How Will Basic Services Be Affected by the 10-Day Golden Week Holiday? | Nippon.com

Hospitals scramble to secure doctors for 10-day Golden Week in Japan - The Mainichi

[...]

By hiring doctors to work temporarily, many medical institutions have sought to give their physicians enough days off as they and businesses have been aiming to change the notorious culture of long work hours. However, some hospitals in rural areas have given up plans for temporary recruitment and are asking their own doctors to work longer instead.

M. Stage Co., a Tokyo-based medical personnel resource service company, said, as of April 22, it had received 4,538 requests to dispatch doctors between April 27 and May 6, about 800 more than what it received during last year's Golden Week period.

[...]

Japan has enacted a law to have one-off public holidays that will stretch the length of Golden Week this year. [...]

The move has not been entirely welcome though because many businesses including banks and regular nursery schools will be closed during the period, and the longer holiday season can mean longer work hours and disruption of work-life balance for those working in service industries.

"I wonder if the government thoroughly considered the impact on the medical front," said an official at a hospital in Hokkaido.

Hospitals in rural areas are chronically short of staff and have struggled to find replacements.

The Hokkaido hospital itself began looking for substitute doctors to fill night shifts during Golden Week but their efforts were in vain. Consequently, it decided to have its staff physicians work longer to fill overnight shifts, according to the official.

[...]

A mad rush to leave as extended 10-day Golden Week gets going: The Asahi Shimbun

Much as with the delay in the era name announcement, the hospital official's speculation that the financially secure and salaried members of the government were lax in considering the logistical impact on workers who will be struggling is unfortunately believable. Dismayingly, people unhappy with the 10-day holiday outnumber those who are happy.

The survey showed that a total of 36.5 percent of respondents are happy about the long holiday, with 9.3 percent choosing the answer “very happy” and 27.2 percent “happy to some extent.”

Meanwhile, a total of 41.0 percent were found to be unhappy, with 14.8 percent saying that they are “not happy at all” and 26.2 percent “not very happy.”

10-day holiday makes 40% of people unhappy - The Japan News

Sorry for being late to the party but will the Emperor keep his title after the abdication?

No, he won't. He is to be styled 上皇 (Jōkō), the title traditionally applied to abdicated emperors, and his wife will be styled 上皇后 (Jōkōgō). A direct translation might be Grand Emperor and Wife of Grand Emperor. However, the official English translations will be "Emperor Emeritus" and "Empress Emerita".

Refer to the second link in this post. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-and-his-abdication-40946-34.html#post2200593

Have there been any further announcements on the matter? 1989 was a different era (no pun intended), and the optics of taking advantage of a national celebration of the ancient monarchy to excuse the government's corruption scandals might be perceived as less than desirable.
Not much. Only that amnesties will be granted for the enthronement, not the abdication or succession.

Amnesties for criminals set to mark Naruhito’s enthronement: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] the amnesty after Naruhito becomes emperor will likely be smaller in scale, given criticism that arose in 1993 when about three-fourths of those pardoned had been convicted of breaking the Public Offices Election Law.

[...]

The number of pardons and other measures to be granted in conjunction with Naruhito's proclamation ceremony will likely be smaller than for the 1990 amnesty, sources said. [...]
Japan Mulls Pardons to Mark New Emperor's Enthronement | Nippon.com
The Japanese government is considering granting pardons for certain crimes as early as this autumn in line with Crown Prince Naruhito's accession to the throne, sources familiar with the matter said.

[...]

Pardons include making guilty rulings ineffective, reducing sentences and restoring legal rights restricted by guilty rulings.

if I ever thought the british were good with ceremonies ... I feel just excausted with reading all the ceremonies around the abdication / accession / enthronement. Poor emperor (new and emeritus). They must be bored to the core while beeing bonetired and fed up. ... well anyway - i would be :ohmy:

Diagram of the abdication ceremony:
- Imperial couple on a dais, surrounded by Imperial regalia & privy seals
- Crown Prince (皇太子さま) and Crown Princess (雅子さま, Masako-sama) on the left
- other adult Imperial family (皇族) split on either side of the dais
Source: Jiji
jiji_diagram.jpg

In Photos: Key moments in reign of Emperor Akihito - The Maincihi

Emperor Akihito to abdicate April 30, ending 3-decade Heisei era - The Mainichi
[...] The Emperor has no plans for outings on April 29 and is spending time with Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

[...]

On the morning of April 30, Emperor Akihito will pay his respects at the Three Palace Sanctuaries at the Imperial Palace, which enshrine successive emperors from the past. From 5 p.m., the Emperor will attend a ceremony called "Taiirei-Seiden-no-Gi" at the palace alongside the Empress. At the ceremony, which is part of acts in matters of state, the Emperor will deliver a speech to the nation, his last as the reigning monarch. After the ceremony, the Emperor will be greeted by employees of the Imperial Household Agency, the Imperial Guard, and his aides into the evening.
Ex-grand steward lauds Emperor for establishing ideal 'symbol of state' - The Mainichi
With Emperor Akihito set to abdicate on April 30, former Imperial Household Agency Grand Steward Noriyuki Kazaoka shared his feelings with the Mainichi Shimbun about His Majesty's retirement and recalled the days he spent serving the Emperor.

[...]

Kazaoka was involved in the release of a video message in August 2016 in which the Emperor indicated his apparent desire to abdicate. "I asked His Majesty about it (making the video) as I thought it was most appropriate for him to express his feelings to the public. I believe His Majesty also felt that necessity," Kazaoka said.

[...]

"Amid (Japan's) ultra-aging society, the video catalyzed in-depth discussions on how the Emperor's duties as the symbol of the state should be," Kazaoka said.

[...]

The Emperor underwent heart surgery in February 2012. "We often had to put burdens and pressures on the Emperor, and I still feel sorry for it," Kazaoka commented.

Only a week after leaving the hospital, Emperor Akihito attended a memorial ceremony in Tokyo marking the first anniversary of the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami. Kazaoka, who accompanied Their Majesties to the event, recalled, "When I saw the Emperor at the ceremony, I felt that was the way the symbol of the state should be."

[...] For Kazaoka, one of the most memorable visits was the Emperor's trip to Kumamoto Prefecture in southwestern Japan to attend the National Convention for the Development of an Abundantly Productive Sea in October 2013.

After talking with Minamata disease patients, the Emperor stated, "I once again thought that we should create a society where we can live the way we are."

[...]

Referring to the post-abdication days, Kazaoka remarked, "I hope Their Majesties will be able to lead peaceful days so they can relax both physically and mentally."
fyi - Noriyuki Kazaoka retired early amid speculation the government forced him out due his handling of the abdication. He turned 70 in 2016 and while 70 is the customary age to retire for IHA staff, usually people stay on until the next fiscal year in April.

:previous: Imperial family arriving for the Palace Sanctuaries ritual in the morning: Sankei gallery

Emperor Akihito reporting his abdication and worshipping at the palace sanctuaries: Sankei, Asahi galleries

In Photos: The last day of the Heisei era - The Mainichi

Emperor Akihito attends ceremonies related to abdication - The Mainichi
Emperor Akihito attended a ceremony called "Taiirei-Tojitsu-Kashikodokoro-Omae-no-gi" at the Three Palace Sanctuaries at the Imperial Palace on the morning of April 30.

[…]

His Majesty bowed respectfully and read out an address called "Otsugebumi." Crown Prince Naruhito, clad in special attire called "Oni no ho," also attended the ceremony.

Empress Michiko, who has a condition affecting the spinal disks in her neck, stayed at the Imperial Residence at the Imperial Palace. Crown Princess Masako was at the Togu Palace in Tokyo's Minato Ward to prepare to attend the Emperor's "Taiirei-Seiden-no-Gi" ceremony in the evening.

[…]

Akihito informs ancestors of his abdication in formal ceremony: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] Akihito also read out the document at two other sanctuaries on the Imperial Palace grounds that honor past emperors and other Shinto gods.

Ten other imperial family members, also attired in traditional dress, took part in the ceremonies at the three sanctuaries.
Besides Emperor Akihito and CP Naruhito, I think the others are: Akishino, Kiko, Mako, Kako, Nobuko, Akiko, Yoko, Hisako and Tsuguko.

ETA: Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko will receive greetings after the abdication ceremony

Their Majesties' schedule on April 30 - Imperial Household Agency

10am: worship at Palace Sanctuaries
5pm: abdication ceremony
5:30pm: greetings from Imperial family
5:40pm: greetings from former royals, relatives
5:50pm: greetings from minor royals (Aiko & Hisahito)
6:10pm: greetings from secretaries, managers, etc.
6:20pm: greetings from former advisors, aides, staff, etc.
6:30pm: greetings from former IHA staff & police
6:45pm: greetings from IHA staff & police
7:15pm: greetings from IHA chamberlains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uJ39wJrEjo

Last edited:
No Masako today= Why did she not attend when almost all other female Family members where there?

No Masako today= Why did she not attend when almost all other female Family members where there?

Neither she nor Michiko were there for the morning ceremonies but they'll both be there this evening.

Some early photos before I go to bed: Mainichi

https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031314576.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031314716.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031314742.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031314828.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031314899.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0031314904.jpg

ETA: I took screenshots of the PM's Youtube and NHK streams

Emperor Akihito hopes for 'peace and happiness for all the people' in final address to nation - The Mainichi (includes photo gallery)
[...] The Emperor stated in his speech, "I sincerely thank the people who accepted and supported me in my role as the symbol of the State."

The ceremony, which is part of acts in matters of state, was attended by some 300 people including Empress Michiko, Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, as well as heads of the three branches of the government and members of the Cabinet.

[...]

At around 5 p.m., Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, clad in a morning suit and a long dress, respectively, entered the "Matsu no Ma" room at the Imperial Palace. Among the Three Sacred Treasures, known as the Imperial Regalia of Japan, the sacred sword and the sacred jewel as well as State and Privy seals for use in matters of state were brought into the room by chamberlains. They were followed by the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess and other adult members of the Imperial Household.

[...]

"I sincerely wish, together with the Empress, that the Reiwa era, which begins tomorrow, will be a stable and fruitful one, and I pray, with all my heart, for peace and happiness for all the people in Japan and around the world," the Emperor stated. After the speech, he directed his gaze at the ceremony participants.

Emperor Akihito then left the room, accompanied by aides holding the sword, jewel and the seals. Other Imperial Family members followed suit, and the ceremony ended after about 10 minutes.

[...]

Emperor Akihito ascended to the throne on Jan. 7, 1989, upon the demise of Emperor Hirohito, posthumously known as Emperor Showa. Emperor Akihito's reign spanned 30 years, three months and 24 days.
Abdication ceremony from the Prime Minister's Youtube. Skip to 4:00

Last edited:
Prisma, thank you for posting those links..Since I got up this morning I've been reading everything I could find on the abdication, and I found watching the actual evening ceremony was unexpectedly moving. Such a simple ceremony, and yet watching the expressions of the different members of the Imperial family, especially Michiko, Masako, and Naruhito, added an interesting dimension. I especially was touched by Akihito turning to wait for and help Michiko down from the dais--the last time he'll need to do that. Also, seeing how frail Michiko looked really brought home that this abdication is not a moment too soon if Akihito and Michiko are to have time to enjoy their last years together--I hope that there are many of those to come!

I wonder if Naruhito and Masako felt the thump as the weight of responsibility and duty settled on their shoulders? From Masako's expression as the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita left the room, I suspect that they did.

I would liked to have seen Fumihito's and Kiko's expressions during the ceremony, too, but unfortunately they were only visible during the exit and entrance.

Last edited:
What will the titles of emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko be after abdication? Will they continue to be referred to as emperor/empress or do they go back to prince/princess?

What will the titles of emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko be after abdication? Will they continue to be referred to as emperor/empress or do they go back to prince/princess?

There is a discussion of this at post #689, further up the page.

The short answer is that in English they will be referred to as the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita.

Thanks to The Regent-Couple for their gentleness, kindness and Emperor Akihito's efforts to bring the IF closer to the public. I.e. with visits to vulnerable groups around Japan, including evacuation centres for people hit by natural disasters, where Their Majesties have literally been sitting on the floor talking with them. - Which is why he has ''won the hearts of his nation,'' as they said it on the BBC.

And on a personal note: Well, this is going to be quite strange for me, because as a big follower of The Imperial Couple, I'm used to regularly checking out for news and videos of them. But most of all, I will REALLY miss seeing the now soon to bee (from midnight, Japanese time) Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita.

BTW, I will also like to say a HUGE ''thank you'' to Prisma for her tireless efforts in providing articles/videos of not just the abdication but on the IF as a whole!

Last edited:
And a huge thanks to Prisma, from me as well. :flowers: :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom