Emperor Akihito and his abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Abdication panel to compile final proposal a month later than planned | The Japan Times
:previous:

The plans have already been delayed by a month, and further delays may be problematic.

Questions mount over abdication / Residence, budget, title among issues as panel reconvenes - The Japan News

I do not know why the article claims that Fumihito would "not be the new emperor's crown prince." As it was said, he would be the first in the line of succession and his duties would increase.
A Crown prince is heir apparent. Prince Akishino will be heir presumptive.

Just as the Imperial House law didn't account for abdication, it states "Crown Prince" is for an Imperial heir who is the son the Emperor. Not brother of Emperor, next-in-line, etc.
The son of the Emperor who is the Imperial Heir is called "Kotaishi" (Crown Prince). In case there is no Kotaishi (Crown Prince), the grandson of the Emperor who is Imperial Heir is called "Kotaison" (Imperial House Law, Article 8).
The Imperial family - The Imperial Household Agency

Updating who's eligible for the Crown Prince title probably requires another bill. It's easier to increase Prince Akishino's budget for additional staff and security.

True, but the article was surprising as the papers have hitherto anticipated that Fumihito would be conferred a crown princely title (Kotaitei) by the special legislation.

Questions mount over abdication / Residence, budget, title among issues as panel reconvenes - The Japan News

In November, an official of the Imperial Household Agency said at a meeting of the expert panel that after abdication, the Emperor’s public duties “would basically all be handled by the new emperor.”
The Imperial Household Agency told the panel meeting on Jan. 11 that as a rule the new emperor will take over all public duties performed by the emperor, adding that, however, what the former emperor will do as public services will depend on his intention and not to be forced by a third party.
Many legal revisions needed before Emperor's possible abdication - The Mainichi

Last edited:
If the Emperor is to abdicate, I wish his last act is to remove male primogeniture and allow the Crown Prince's daughter become the heir.

If the Emperor is to abdicate, I wish his last act is to remove male primogeniture and allow the Crown Prince's daughter become the heir.

Succession is governed by the Imperial Household Law 1947, and the Constitution of 1947 expressly excludes the Emperor from exercising any powers related to government. That is why in his address to the nation the Emperor did not use the word abdication. Great care has been taken to avoid the appearance of the Emperor telling the government to do something, as that would be unconstitutional. As for the succession, there is absolutely nothing the Emperor can do about it.

Gov't mulls using 'joko' as emperor's post-abdication title - The Mainichi
[…]

Four university professors were summoned to the panel's 10th meeting to give their views on the issue including what status the 83-year-old emperor should be given after his retirement and three of them proposed he assume the historical title of "joko" or its official form of "daijo tenno" (retired sovereign) in line with past imperial practice.

The government is inclined to adopt joko over daijo tenno out of concerns the latter also means "the noblest" and could place the retired emperor above the new one, the sources said.

The panel resumed its discussion Wednesday, two months following its last meeting in January, to consider remaining issues regarding the emperor's abdication such as his status after becoming the first living emperor to relinquish the throne in around 200 years as well as the status of Prince Akishino, second son of the emperor, after Crown Prince Naruhito becomes the new emperor.

[…]

The three professors also proposed Emperor Akihito's future tomb be equivalent in status to those of past emperors.

The fourth expert was a doctor specializing in geriatric diseases, who gave his views on the emperor's workload from a medical point of view.

[…]

During Wednesday's panel meeting, the three experts who proposed "joko" as the emperor's post abdication title were Keiko Hongo, a professor of Japanese medieval history at the Historiographical Institute of the University of Tokyo, Naotaka Kimizuka, a professor of British political and diplomatic history at Kanto Gakuin University, and Hitoshi Nitta, a professor of Shinto religion at Kogakkan University.

Masahiro Akishita, a doctor and professor at the University of Tokyo's graduate school, said an excessive workload could be a source of stress and cause ill health for a person of the emperor's age but that losing his workload or social role entirely could also prompt rapid aging.

[…]

Japanese Mainichi included opinions on the Crown Prince title: (I cleaned up google's translation a bit)
The Imperial House Law defines "Emperor's [son] is the Crown Prince" and Mr. Akishino is not the Crown Prince because he is the younger brother of the Emperor. The Empress and the Crown Princess are regarded as court royalty who live together with the Emperor, but in the current system the Akishinomiya family is regarded as the other royal family. The increase in public service will be expected, but the cost of living and the number of staff to be assisted will remain lower than the current crown prince.

Mr. Hongo focused on the title of the imperial family as "the crown god". "If my grandchild is a successor, I have a crown grandchild, so I suggest you write down the relationship with the Emperor," suggesting that the title of "Crown Prince" be newly established. On the other hand, Mr. Kimitsuka pointed out that the king's younger brother in the Middle East uses the title of "the crown prince", "The clear title is clear when it is a successor to the throne" in terms of the tightness with foreign countries I insisted. Mr. Nitta argued that interpretation should be changed so that the royal family who ranked first in the ranking of the throne is "the crown prince." Although the precedent of "the crown prince" also has history, it is said that it is necessary to amend the Imperial House Law.
Hmm...Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko's post-abdication workload shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Without the state and Shinto duties or frequent travels, I assume the retired Imperial couple would pursue their own interests (i.e. - academic studies for Akihito) and occasionally appear at concerts, museums, and such. Similar to the Hitachi couple's activities/public service.

Jōkō seems the most appropriate title for the Emperor after his abdication. Historically though, it was on becoming the Jōkō that an emperor, free from ritual responsibilities, could actually take an active role in ruling Japan. Jōkō - 上皇, or its full form Daijō Tennō - 太上天皇, is translated as Retired Emperor, but interestingly the literal translation of the Chinese characters/Japanese kanji is something like Grand Exalted Heavenly Sovereign. I wonder what title the Empress is likely to get? Kōtaigō - 皇太后 is translated as Empress Dowager, but, again, a more literal translation is Grand Empress, so maybe it will be considered a suitable title for the consort of the Jōkō.

NHK reports Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko could return to Togu Palace (aka East Palace or Crown Prince Residence) after abdication. However, a temporary residence is necessary as it will take time to relocate everyone. Other details:
  • Togu Palace may be renamed to reflect its proper status; historically, a former Emperor’s residence was called "Sendu Imperial Palace"
  • After Emperor Showa died, his Imperial Residence was renamed "Fukiage Omiya Imperial Palace" where Empress Kojun lived until her death in 2000.
  • The current Imperial Residence was completed in spring of 1993. Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, and Princess Sayako moved in that December.
  • Akihito and Michiko spent more than 30 years at Togu Palace which was completed in 1960.
  • Naruhito and Masako moved into Togu Palace in July 1994.
  • Besides private rooms for the family, it features reception rooms/halls, offices for IHA, and a tennis court.
  • The term "East Palace" has been used for the residence of the Crown Prince since the Nara period.
ETA: Mainichi reports the name "Sengong Imperial Palace" is also under consideration for a former Emperor's residence.

Last edited:
Emperor intends to quit public activities after abdication: The Asahi Shimbun
Emperor Akihito plans to withdraw from public activities as the symbol of the state, as well as from constitutional duties, following his abdication, sources have revealed.

Those activities, including visiting areas affected by natural disasters, New Year’s greetings to well-wishers and holding dinners and garden parties, are not clarified in the Constitution, unlike the "kokuji koi" state acts.

Akihito has already conveyed his intention to his sons, Crown Prince Naruhito and Prince Fumihito, and obtained consent from both, the sources said.

Concern was expressed in the abdication hearings held by the government’s council of intellectuals that duality could occur between Akihito and the new emperor.

[…]

“Events and ceremonies held in various parts of the country; visits to foreign countries; visits to areas affected by natural disasters; and memorial services for the war dead. All of these are proof that the emperor has pursued what the emperor should be as the symbol of the state,” said an Imperial Household Agency source.

“He apparently thinks that if he abdicates, he will concede all of them to the person who serves as the symbol of the state,” the source added.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks Prisma!

You posted this article in another post:
Masahiro Akishita, a doctor and professor at the University of Tokyo's graduate school, said an excessive workload could be a source of stress and cause ill health for a person of the emperor's age but that losing his workload or social role entirely could also prompt rapid aging.
As Masahiro Akishita says, losing his workload or social role entirely could also prompt rapid aging.

Q: What will happen if he's not going to do anything? Answer: He's going to fade away and die much sooner than he would have done if he had remained on the throne.

This abdication is as all abdications (with the exception of Spain) a bad idea and someone should talk some sense into him.

Last edited:
You're welcome!

I think Emperor Akihito has carefully considered abdication: it's been years since he first revealed his wish to IHA and Empress Michiko in 2010.

It's likely he's very much looking forward to retirement. More time with Michiko, his hobbies/studies, and family. Less traveling and hopefully less protocol. Should he return to the East Palace or anywhere within Akasaka Estate, one benefit would be being closer to the Akishino family and additional training for Prince Hisahito.

Poor communication between the government and IHA continues. According to Sankei 1:
  • At 7pm on March 25th, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was "astounded to learn that NHK reported the Emperor [would] switch homes with the Crown Prince after abdication."
  • The government's expert panel has not gotten to discussing residences.
  • Sources claim the IHA leaked to NHK.
  • Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga did not hide [his] discomfort at the press conference on 27th, "I do not know at all, I have no idea what kind of grounds are being covered on the basis, it is funny that such reports are [outrageous], there is absolutely no report."
Sankei 2 reports on March 27th, the IHA is considering CP Naruhito taking over some public service before Emperor Akihito's abdication. "According to officials of the Imperial Household Agency, this view is also based on [Akihito's] wishes." CP Naruhito has represented his father in the past and "considering the physical condition and burden of both [Majesties], there will also be official duties taken over by the crown prince before the concession." They maintain "further reduction of official duties is difficult."

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks Prisma!

You posted this article in another post:

As Masahiro Akishita says, losing his workload or social role entirely could also prompt rapid aging.

Q: What will happen if he's not going to do anything? Answer: He's going to fade away and die much sooner than he would have done if he had remained on the throne.

This abdication is as all abdications (with the exception of Spain) a bad idea and someone should talk some sense into him.

Well, he is well into his 80's there is a very considerable possibility that he might die, before the abdication even takes place.
His health is, everything considered, surprisingly good but he can't do as much as he used to.
I think he has deserved to retire and make room for his son, while CP Naruhito is still in his prime.
Apart from that emperors were supposed supposed til live a retired life for centuries. Particularly under the shoguns. Dedicating themselves to art, culture and religion. Preferably never leaving Kyoto. - So historically speaking there is ample precedence for an emperor to live retired lives.

Most importantly though, this is just as much a political act. It has so to speak stirred the pot in regards to the imperial family's role, the role of the emperor, the influence of the court, of the politicians and led to a public and serious debate about female succession.
Titles, where to live and what to do are details.

You're welcome!

I think Emperor Akihito has carefully considered abdication: it's been years since he first revealed his wish to IHA and Empress Michiko in 2010.

It's likely he's very much looking forward to retirement. More time with Michiko, his hobbies/studies, and family. Less traveling and hopefully less protocol. Should he return to the East Palace or anywhere within Akasaka Estate, one benefit would be being closer to the Akishino family and additional training for Prince Hisahito.
I agree! But if he loses all of his public duties (if that's what's going to happen) it could have a negative impact on his health.

Poor communication between the government and IHA continues. According to Sankei 1:
  • At 7pm on March 25th, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was "astounded to learn that NHK reported the Emperor [would] switch homes with the Crown Prince after abdication."
  • Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga did not hide [his] discomfort at the press conference on 27th, "I do not know at all, I have no idea what kind of grounds are being covered on the basis, it is funny that such reports are [outrageous], there is absolutely no report."
Abe seems to bee astounded by everything when it comes to this abdication, and it looks like the Emperor has more control over the IHA than we thought.

Sankei 2 reports on March 27th, the IHA is considering CP Naruhito taking over some public service before Emperor Akihito's abdication. "According to officials of the Imperial Household Agency, this view is also based on [Akihito's] wishes." CP Naruhito has represented his father in the past and "considering the physical condition and burden of both [Majesties], there will also be official duties taken over by the crown prince before the concession." They maintain "further reduction of official duties is difficult."
Sensible and completely natural.

Well, he is well into his 80's there is a very considerable possibility that he might die, before the abdication even takes place.
His health is, everything considered, surprisingly good but he can't do as much as he used to.
I think he has deserved to retire and make room for his son, while CP Naruhito is still in his prime.
Apart from that emperors were supposed supposed til live a retired life for centuries. Particularly under the shoguns. Dedicating themselves to art, culture and religion. Preferably never leaving Kyoto. - So historically speaking there is ample precedence for an emperor to live retired lives.

Most importantly though, this is just as much a political act. It has so to speak stirred the pot in regards to the imperial family's role, the role of the emperor, the influence of the court, of the politicians and led to a public and serious debate about female succession.
Titles, where to live and what to do are details.
1. I agree that he deserves to retire (since that's what he obviously wants), but that doesn't mean that I agree with it.

And as most of you know, I'm not a big fan of abdications and I think that's affects my thinking when it comes to Emperor Akihito and his retirement. I think it's the British and Norwegian in me (because most of us don't like abdications).

2. I agree, but titles, where to live and what to do are key details.

It is most certainly Akihito's ambition.

The lonely struggle of Japan's democratic emperor - Nikkei Asian Review

[The emperor] seems to want the people of Japan to engage in a candid debate about abdication, the rules governing imperial succession and perhaps, more broadly, the meaning of the Imperial House in contemporary Japanese society.

[…] Frustratingly for him, however, the rest of the nation would prefer to let sleeping dogs lie, for various reasons. […]

From the time of the Meiji Restoration of 1868, the state has made sure that citizens cannot casually discuss the ancient Imperial House, having reinvigorated it from its centuries-old dormancy and reinvented it as the crux of modern Japanese nationalism.

Despite its tainted history as the rallying point of Japan's wartime ultranationalism […] national deference for the institution has survived. This was largely enabled by the U.S. Cold War policy of rebuilding a stable Japan as the most important ally in East Asia, with the emperor system providing a spiritual continuity for the vanquished nation.

[…] Most polls indicated that the majority of Japanese approved of altering the abdication law. Abe, a staunch nationalist obsessed with retaining the mystique of the protocol-shrouded imperial institution intact, responded by appointing the aforementioned advisory panel. By taking swift action to enable the one-time bill, he was trying to avoid any chances for permanent reforms, involving not only the abdication question but also the female succession question, a likely development as Akihito's elder son and heir, Naruhito, has just one child, a daughter.

[…]

[The emperor's friend] Akashi quite correctly pointed out that public opinion differs from the government's official view. As recently as late January, Kyodo News polls showed that 63.3% of respondents still preferred a permanent solution allowing future emperors to abdicate, while 26.9% favored the government's one-off legislation. It is equally true, however, that nobody is standing up for the emperor beyond responding sympathetically in polls. Neither are the mainstream media spearheading a critical debate, seemingly reluctant to upset the increasingly powerful government.

[…] Emperor Akihito has consistently tried to square his public role with his democratic principles, instilled from boyhood, most notably by his American Quaker tutor Elizabeth Vining. She taught him the valuable lesson, again in the words of his confidant, Akashi: "Man must act on his own will." […]
I wonder whether Akihito and Abe have in fact made efforts to communicate with one another. :ermm:

Last edited:
I don't think Abe, who is a staunch nationalist, is particularly keen on this abdication-thing, and certainly not interested in any further debate. So I think he has resigned to this particular issue and simply want to get it over with as soon as possible. - And preferably as quietly as possible!

And in that respect he can (regrettably IMO) count on the Japanese media.
The Japanese media, especially the public service media, is not critical of the government! There is a strong Japanese tradition of the authorities know best.
That means Japanese media aim for consensus rather than diverting opinions. That trait is very much ingrained in the Japanese national character. I.e. you conform to the group, no matter what you may think privately.

It was very much evident during the tsunami and the radioactive fall-out. Fall-out that polluted agricultural products (albeit a low grade of pollution) which were among other places, served in schools.
Such a thing would cause an uproar in practically any other country on the globe - but not in Japan.
The government, the authorities, the rest of the societies, said it was okay, so people may have been apprehensive personally, but conformed and ate the products...
I know of at least one case where a mother was communally chastised because she left Japan (Tokyo in this case) until she had a better view of the situation. - She was chastised because she left the group (i.e. Japan) for selfish reasons (to protect her children), rather than stay put like everybody else.

The Emperor voiced his concern, discreetly, in a speech in India. And that was reported by the Indian media - but not by the Japanese media.
To suggest that the authorities do not have the situation under control, is almost subversive. It's expressing a loss of faith in the group, of Japan. Not having full control of the situation (in this case radioactive contaminated products served to children!) is a loss of face and you betray the group by suggesting otherwise.

Japan is a very consensus and group oriented society, where the interest of the group, of the society, far outweigh the interest of the individual.
That also explains to some degree the dismissive, almost angry, reaction some have to the Emperor's wish to abdicate. - He is putting his own interests above the group, above the consensus of the group. He is creating diversion instead of consensus, in a society which for practical reasons put consensus very high and presenting a face (or facade if you will) of unity towards the rest of the world.
He is rocking the boat. You don't rock the boat in Japan!

That's why Japan and the Japanese is such an endlessly fascinating culture and sometimes extremely difficult to understand. :ermm:

Last edited:
Some updates from Sankei, Asahi, and Mainichi:
  • No title change for Prince Akishino and family
  • The Akishino name has existed for nearly 30 years and some panel members voiced concerns about losing the name if he's made Crown Prince
  • The Akishino house aka Akishinomiya will move to "court royalty" (aka "inner court") and receive a budget in line with current Crown Prince
  • Prince Akishino cannot leave the Imperial Family
  • When abroad, he is to be styled as "Crown Prince" to receive treatment equivalent to a crown prince
  • After abdication, Emperor Akihito should not qualify for roles as regent, temporary substitute for state acts, or an Imperial House Council member
  • Next panel meeting is on the 13th

Last edited:
Some updates from Sankei, Asahi, and Mainichi:
  • No title change for Prince Akishino and family
  • The Akishino name has existed for nearly 30 years and some panel members voiced concerns about losing the name if he's made Crown Prince
  • The Akishino house aka Akishinomiya will move to "court royalty" (aka "inner court") and receive a budget in line with current Crown Prince
  • Prince Akishino cannot leave the Imperial Family
  • When abroad, he is to be styled as "Crown Prince" to receive treatment equivalent to a crown prince
The Akishino name will unavoidably be lost when Mako and Kako Akishino become commoners and Hisahito Akishino becomes the emperor. If Fumihito Akishino is to receive treatment and perform official duties equivalent to a Kotaishi, it is appropriate to style him as Kotaitei. English Mainichi confirms that there were historical cases when Kotaitei was used.

• After abdication, Emperor Akihito should not qualify for roles as regent, temporary substitute for state acts, or an Imperial House Council member

I suppose they have in mind to limit his power after the abdication.

Last edited:
I'm confused too. Unfortunately, there aren't any English versions of those Japanese articles yet. Despite many abdications in history, the government is super reluctant to let Akihito retire so fussing about Kotaitei (or possibly re-titling the entire Akishino family) isn't surprising. :whistling:

Akihito may abdicate earlier than planned in December 2018: The Asahi Shimbun
The government is mulling allowing Emperor Akihito’s abdication and his son Crown Prince Naruhito’s ascension to the throne in December 2018, giving certain time before the nation switches to a new era.

Emperor Akihito may be allowed to give up the throne earlier than previously thought, with a day in December 2018 being mulled prior to the originally mooted abdication date of Dec. 31, government sources said.

[...]

Some experts on imperial family issues recommend that Akihito should step down on Dec. 23, 2018, his 85th birthday.

But the government is concerned that if he abdicates on that date, it could be interpreted that any emperor must retire upon reaching that age, making Akihito’s case a precedent.

Officials close to the government said Christmas and other dates that have a special meaning are not desirable as possible abdication date choices.

[...]

Emperor's abdication ceremony, the first in 200 years, likely to be held in December | The Japan Times
[...]

The last time Japan held a ceremony for an emperor’s abdication was in 1817, when Emperor Kokaku relinquished the Chrysanthemum Throne. The government will consider how to materialize the plan by studying documents describing ceremonial manners for abdications in the past.

[...]

Of Japan’s 125 emperors, including the sitting 83-year-old, 58 have so far abdicated. But legislation currently only allows posthumous transfer of the throne.

[...]

The first emperor who abdicated is believed to be Emperor Kogyoku, who handed over the throne to Emperor Kotoku during the Taika no Kaishin political reform that put the Imperial house in control of Japan in the seventh century.

Japan started holding ceremonies for emperor abdications during the eighth century at the latest, and ceremonial practices were carried on to the latest abdication ceremony for Emperor Kokaku 200 years ago, according to the sources.

In such ceremonies, an agent reads out an emperor’s words explaining the reasons for his abdication with the retiring emperor attending.

The likely location for the abdication ceremony of Emperor Akihito is the Imperial Palace. The timing of the event will be either before or after Kenji-to-Shokei-no-Gi, a ceremony to hand down traditional properties, such as the sacred sword and jewels, to the new emperor, the sources said.

After the handing of properties ceremony, which marks the completion of the throne ascending procedures, the new emperor is to hold the Choken-no-Gi first audience ceremony to meet with the heads of the government-legislative, administrative and judicial systems.

The government is planning to hold those ceremonies by the end of 2018, and an enthronement ceremony, called Sokui-no-Rei, that formally announces the new emperor’s accession sometime in 2019.

Last edited:
Haha… of course, an English article about Akishino’s title is released right after I post about no translations yet.

Panel settles on title for Prince Akishino - The Japan News
[...]

According to the outlines of the 11th and 12th meetings on April 4 and 6, which were released on the website of the Prime Minister’s Office, the panel members proposed the idea of continuing to use his family name Akishino for addressing him because his “name and presence as a prince of the Akishino family are recognized well by and are familiar to the public.”

The members also pointed out one way would be to add “koshi” to his current name in order to help the public easily understand his position when he becomes first in the Imperial line of succession.

According to the outlines, the Imperial Household Agency then explained that it will be “reasonably possible to call the prince ‘Akishinonomiya Koshi,’ ‘Koshi Akishinonomiya’ or ‘Koshi.’”

The agency also said it would be appropriate to translate “koshi” into English as “crown prince,” (meaning “kotaishi”) although “koshi” has been translated as “Imperial heir.”

[...]

The agency also said it would be appropriate to translate “koshi” into English as “crown prince,” (meaning “kotaishi”) although “koshi” has been translated as “Imperial heir.”
To me Crown Prince is an appropriate translation for kotaishi, kotaison, kotaitei, or koshi. The English title of Crown Prince can refer to an heir who is not the son of the sovereign.

[...]the panel members proposed the idea of continuing to use his family name Akishino for addressing him because his “name and presence as a prince of the Akishino family are recognized well by and are familiar to the public.”

The members also pointed out one way would be to add “koshi” to his current name in order to help the public easily understand his position when he becomes first in the Imperial line of succession.
I am doubtful that the public would be unfamiliar with the likely next emperor, the father of a future emperor. Furthermore, wouldn't Kotaitei be a more appropriate title to "help the public easily understand his position", since it would make clear that a younger brother of the emperor is the crown prince?

Last edited:
Draft notes public sympathy for Emperor - The Japan News

According to the draft outline, the special measures law will stipulate in Article 1 “conditions leading to the abdication,” not “the objectives.”

The draft outline specifies the conditions for the Emperor’s abdication as follows:

■ The Emperor, who has reached the advanced age of 83, feels deep mental anguish because it has become difficult to continue his duties as the symbol of the state.

■ The public understands and sympathizes with his mental anguish.

■ The crown prince, at 57, has been actively participating in official duties for a number of years, standing in for the Emperor in state affairs.

In addition, the special measures law will stipulate that “the Emperor’s abdication and the crown prince’s succession to the throne are realized as a special case of Article 4 of the Imperial House Law [that states the Emperor’s role is for life].”

The draft outline does not mention the Emperor’s message in August last year expressing his intent to abdicate, in order not to violate Article 4 of the Constitution, which stipulates that the Emperor shall not have powers related to government.

EDITORIAL: Government bill on emperor's abdication isn't what Diet sought: The Asahi Shimbun

The agreement among the parties said the law should be called a special law “concerning the abdication of the emperor and related issues.” But the government has decided to change the term “emperor” in the [bill's] title to “His Majesty the Emperor.”

With this seemingly minor and innocuous change, the government is clearly seeking to ensure that the legislation will be applied only to Akihito. [...]

In addition, the government has eliminated the passage explaining the aim of the legislation that was agreed to be added as a supplementary clause on abdication to the current Imperial House Law.

The passage said the new legislation provides for rules concerning the emperor’s abdication as a “special case” related to the Imperial House Law.

The opposition parties regarded this clause as providing the legal basis for making Akihito’s abdication serve as a precedent for similar acts by future emperors.

Editorial: Gov't handling of abdication issue makes light of expert panel's purposes - The Mainichi

EDITORIAL: Panel discussing abdication issue ended up toeing the official line: The Asahi Shimbun

[The advisory council] invited many dyed-in-the-wool conservatives to speak at public hearings. These were people who have nostalgia for the extraordinary view about the emperor pronounced in the prewar Meiji Constitution and don’t support the definition of the emperor as the symbol of the nation as provided by the postwar Constitution.

[...]

As its approach drew criticism from various quarters, the panel lost its leadership in public debate on the topic. As a result, the Diet replaced the panel as the leading player in the debate.

The agreement among the ruling and opposition parties [...] said it should state that the emperor’s abdication is a “special case” but “can serve as a precedent” for similar acts by future emperors.

In an attempt to roll back the legislature’s move, the government is now drafting a bill that runs counter to the agreement.

The expert panel’s failure to have meaningful, in-depth debate on the future vision of the emperor as the national symbol of unity and the procedures for smooth and stable imperial succession has helped to muddy the issue.

[...] the report makes no reference to the proposal to allow the establishment of houses headed by a female member of the imperial family. [...] This fact reflects the Abe administration’s aversion to any discussion on the idea. [...]

The expert panel apparently found no choice but to act according to the administration’s script as it addressed the weighty topic, which could threaten the power base of the administration if mishandled.

It is distressing to see the panel end up playing such a wretched role.

The bill has been significantly changed from the initial draft, such as by removing the honorific “heika” (your majesty) from the title, and its content is in line with a proposal compiled in March by the leaders and deputy leaders of both Diet houses based on discussions among the ruling and opposition parties.
Opposition to the executive branch's initial plan was voiced by not only the Democratic Party but also ruling coalition partner Komeito, which asked that the plan be based on the legislative branch's views.
The Diet's views clearly mention the "thoughts" of Emperor Akihito, who said he felt it difficult to fulfill his official duties because of his advanced age. However, the executive branch's initial plan replaced "thoughts" with "anxiety."

The wording of the Diet's views reflect the largest opposition Democratic Party's opinion that the planned abdication of Emperor Akihito should be characterized as a precedent for future cases and that his intentions be respected in allowing him to step down.
A clause stating that the special law "is an integral part of the Imperial House Law" is set to be incorporated in the supplementary provision of the main law. The outline also mentions Emperor Akihito's "thoughts" as a factor paving the way for him to step down from the throne.
At the same time, a clause in the outline mentions "His Majesty the Emperor's enthronement on Jan. 7 in the 64th year of the Showa era (1989)," reflecting the ruling coalition's intention to clarify that the bill would apply specifically to Emperor Akihito.

[...] The plan also states that the prime minister must seek opinions from the Imperial Household Council in enacting regulations on the timing of Emperor Akihito's abdication. The DP had demanded that the Imperial Household Council, participated in by representatives of the Imperial Family, be involved in decisions on the matter.
Vote expected in May for law on Emperor's abdication - The Japan News
Editorial: Executive branch must respect Diet views on bill for Emperor's abdication - The Mainichi
Legislation outline for Emperor Akihito's abdication presented - The Mainichi

Thanks, Tatiana. :flowers:

Mere details IMO.

They may call a spade a "manually operated digging-tool", but it's still a spade.

The abdication is a fact and upon being completed it becomes a precedence for the future, no matter how they term it.
The only hope for the opponents is for the Emperor to die before the he can abdicate. - But they can't stall too long either, that will backfire among the public. And politically this issue cast too big a shadow on other issues, they would like to promote.

Most of public backs permanent abdication solution for emperors: survey | The Japan Times

Kyodo News poll covering 3,000 people 18 years or older

Abdication:
68% support revising Imperial House Law to enable permanent abdication
25% support one-off abdication legislation
4% oppose abdication

Female emperor or an emperor of female lineage:
86% support female emperor
59% support female emperor and emperor of female lineage

Retaining princesses by establishing female-headed Imperial branches even after marriage to commoner:
62% support
35% oppose

When to start discussion on female ascension:
61% support discussion after Emperor Akihito abdicates
28% support discussion in parallel with abdication

Abe’s option to give Imperial status back to collateral branches
22% support
72% oppose

Last edited:
It's fascinating that 86% support the idea of a female emperor. :flowers:

Most of public backs permanent abdication solution for emperors: survey | The Japan Times

[...]

Abe’s option to give Imperial status back to collateral branches
22% support
72% oppose

Very interesting. I wonder if the public opposition will carry any weight if Abe insists on restoration of former branches.

Female emperor or an emperor of female lineage:
86% support female emperor
59% support female emperor and emperor of female lineage

Retaining princesses by establishing female-headed Imperial branches even after marriage to commoner:
62% support
35% oppose

24% apparently would support a female emperor but would force her to become a commoner if she marries.

Most interesting.

It confirms the fact that certainly the conservative nationalists are pretty much out of sync with the majority.
That puts added pressure on the government to get this over with as smooth as possible.
So why we will from time to time see vocal reservations from experts and politicians, the train had long since left the station.

Most interesting.

It confirms the fact that certainly the conservative nationalists are pretty much out of sync with the majority.
That puts added pressure on the government to get this over with as smooth as possible.
So why we will from time to time see vocal reservations from experts and politicians, the train had long since left the station.

What do you mean with out of sync? The current Government has issued legislation to enable the Emperor to abdicate. That is in line with the poll you projected, I must say.

Back
Top Bottom