Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko Visit to Canada: July 3-14, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsel

Courtier
City
Moscow
Country
Russia
Emperor Akihito 'looking forward' to Canada visit

The 75-year-old monarch and his wife Empress Michiko are due to depart Japan tomorrow (03.07.09), for a 15-day tour of Canada and the US Pacific Island state of Hawaii.
It will be the first time Akihito has visited Canada since he travelled to the North American country in 1953 as a 19-year-old prince on his first ever official trip.

Thanks a lot for posting and keeping us updated !

Good luck to the Imperial Couple in their trip !

It is nice to see both Crown Princely couple and Princely couple bidding farewell to their Imperial Majesties. The visit is going to be quite long. I hope their Imperial Majesties will enjoy it.

OH・・・sorry
I couldn't link to getty?

Does anyone have a link to a calendar of events for this trip, in particular when they will be visiting Victoria? If I don't have to work I might try to go see them.

Does anyone have a link to a calendar of events for this trip, in particular when they will be visiting Victoria? If I don't have to work I might try to go see them.

Sorry Ican't find link to a calendar of events for this trip in english article,
but Japanese mainichi news say:
http://mainichi.jp/select/wadai/kou****su/news/20090704k0000e040016000c.html
Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress:arrival on Canada
participate in welcome events from 6th
Their Majesties arrived Mcdonald Cartier Air port Otawa,the capital city of Canada on the afternoon of 3th(before daylight in japan).
It had been 56 years since His majesty the Emperor had visited canada in 1953,when he was crown prince.

Their Majesties appeard from Japanese Air Force One and welcomed by Minister for Foreign Affairs Canon and canada royal mounted police in a light rain.
Japanese and canadian national flag were hoisted,but flew flags at
half staff for the death of ex-Governor General of Canada.
Their Majesties will visit farm near Otawa combining adjustments to jet lag for 5th.
Their Majesties will attend offical welcome events from 6th

Their Majesties main schedule(Date is Canada time)
4th Visiting an Central examination farm(Otawa)
5th Having a talk with Japanese-Canadian
6th Official welcome event, meeting with Governor General of Canada ,
the prime minister and their wife
7th Lay flowers a Peace-Keeping monument
8th Japan-Canada 80th amity special event
9th Having a talk with Japanese-Canadian(Tronto)
10th Inspect institution of Olympic Winter games speed skate(vancouver)
11th Having a talk with Japanese-Canadian(Vivtoria)
12th Visiting Ocean science labo
13th Visiting the University of British Columbia(vancouver)
14th To Oafu island ,Hawaii
15th Lay flowers  national Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific
16th return to Japan

The article is interesting, indeed. I do not think that the Canadian tour is a much desired break from the cloistered life within Japan. From the historical standpoint, I would say that most of Asian monarchies existed and exist in a "splendid isolation" (e.g., the Forbidden City in China).

The article is interesting, indeed. I do not think that the Canadian tour is a much desired break from the cloistered life within Japan. From the historical standpoint, I would say that most of Asian monarchies existed and exist in a "splendid isolation" (e.g., the Forbidden City in China).

The article could have just as easily been written about Queen Elizabeth II - the gates of Buckingham palace may not be eight metres high, although the walls of Windsor Castle probably come quite close! Whilst I wouldn't necessarily say QEII lives a cloistered life, she certainly doesn't do press conferences (unlike the Emperor and Emperess) and her life is governed by very strict protocol. I also cannot recall a time she has entered the shopping areas of London.

Indeed, Asian monarchies have tended to live in isolation; but it is higher tha isolation they are forced to live in due to protocol rather than the height of their walls.

Maybe, what the author is traying to say is that in these trips they can at least have a breath of fresh air, despite the existing protocol, and get to know places they maybe don't even know in their own country.

It's interesting the spin that The Japan Times put on the Emperor's speech. This is what the Emperor said: ""Sadly, the relationship between the two countries was ruined by World War IIand my heart goes out to the people who suffered hardships created by the battles," the Emperor said while expressing his gratitude to people who have dedicated themselves to mending those ties."

However, The Japan Times makes it sound that the Emperor was referring to only Japanese-Canadians who "suffered hardships."

Fascinating.

More articles on the Imperial Couple's visit, this one of The Japan Times:

Emperor tells Canada of his regret for war | The Japan Times Online

Thanks a lot for posting the pics !! Articles are nice, pretty interesting and always good to read; but it is algso good to see pics...

I agree with you Mermaid1962! It must be an editorial focus the newspaper has. It is pretty common (makes readers "read what they want to read"), but tend to misinterprete information that can be valuable.

I went down to Toronto today to see the Imperial Couple at Queen's Park this morning. It was a great day and I got some decent photos. I was very surprised though that the Emperor and Empress performed a "walkabout" on their departure. And I was shocked when Her Imperial Majesty spoke to me. :eek: I was tongue tied for a second. LOL Below is my favourite photo from the day. I took about 25 other photos and they can be found by clicking on either the photo or the link. :)

Full Gallery: The Emperor and Empress of Japan Visit Toronto -- July 9, 2009

This is great!!!

I hope I can get the chance to see them, when they are in Vancouver.

I went down to Toronto today to see the Imperial Couple at Queen's Park this morning. It was a great day and I got some decent photos. I was very surprised though that the Emperor and Empress performed a "walkabout" on their departure. And I was shocked when Her Imperial Majesty spoke to me. :eek: I was tongue tied for a second. LOL Below is my favourite photo from the day. I took about 25 other photos and they can be found by clicking on either the photo or the link. :) ... [snipped]
WOW!! You had a chat with Her Imperial Majesty. Given the photos, the visit seems to be going well.

Wonderful photos and thank you for posting them bweir and queenofthelight. They look like such an elegant couple. So glad they had a chance to visit Toronto. Such an honour indeed.

MM :flowers:

I went down to Toronto today to see the Imperial Couple at Queen's Park this morning. It was a great day and I got some decent photos. I was very surprised though that the Emperor and Empress performed a "walkabout" on their departure. And I was shocked when Her Imperial Majesty spoke to me. :eek: I was tongue tied for a second. LOL Below is my favourite photo from the day. I took about 25 other photos and they can be found by clicking on either the photo or the link. :)

Full Gallery: The Emperor and Empress of Japan Visit Toronto -- July 9, 2009

You're my hero !! Such great pictures, and talking with the Emperor.... it rocks! :bounce::clap::w00t:

Back
Top Bottom