Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All my best wishes to the Emperor for a full recovery, and I hope the Empress doesn't neglect her own health due to concern and stress over her husband. I've seen how this takes a toll on the spouse from my own personal experience with my parents.

Last edited:
Emperor to be discharged from hospital Thurs. afternoon - The Mainichi Daily News
Emperor Akihito will be discharged from the University of Tokyo Hospital on Thursday afternoon, the Imperial Household Agency said.[...]
His fever and coughing had almost disappeared by Wednesday, a source close to the agency said.
A member of the team of doctors treating the emperor was quoted as saying, "We want his majesty to rest through the end of this month at the Imperial Palace and Imperial Residence."
The doctors will consider when the 77-year-old emperor should be allowed to restart his official duties while monitoring his recovery, the source said.
The emperor has recently had meals with Empress Michiko, who visited him in his hospital room and engaged in rehabilitation training by walking inside the room while listening to music, the source said.
The agency has said mycoplasma may be responsible for the emperor's bronchial pneumonia, judging from his symptoms such as persistent fever and coughing.

Emperor Akihito to be Discharged from Hospital - Japan Real Time - WSJ
Japan emperor to leave hospital Thursday | Reuters

I'm glad he is doing better; I've thought for some time that he has been looking rather frail.

Emperor to resume duties Monday | The Japan Times Online
Emperor Akihito, who was discharged from a hospital Thursday after receiving treatment for bronchial pneumonia for 19 days, will resume his official duties as early as Monday, sources said.
The Emperor and Empress Michiko are expected to attend an award ceremony for the International Prize for Biology to be held in Tokyo, the sources said Friday. The Emperor's physicians have advised that he rest for at least several days at the Imperial Palace.
The 77-year-old Emperor is gradually regaining his appetite and went for a walk around the Imperial residence on Friday, the Imperial Household Agency said the same day.

:previous:
HM the Emperor was not able to attend the International Biology prize ceremony in Tokyo today due to his weakness, the doctors said.
HM the Empress and HIH the Crown Prince were present at the ceremony. - NHK article

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** **Pic 3** - NHK screen capture

Thanks for the updates!
I hope HIM Emperor will take his time before fully resuming his engagements.

TM the Emperor Akihito and the Empress Michiko attending the memorial service for the firefighters who who died on duty following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

**Pic** - Mainichi article
**Pic** - Yomiuri

The IHA said it has yet to decide when Crown Prince Naruhito will be relieved of carrying out state affairs on behalf of his father.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see Akihito. I hope that he will go back to all duties soon.

2011/12/06 12:42 - Fujimura Says Govt Should Lighten Emperor's Workload
Japan should reduce the workload of its emperor, the country's top government spokesman said Tuesday, amid growing concerns over the health of Emperor Akihito, who was hospitalized for nearly three weeks last month for bronchial pneumonia.

President Chinchilla flies to Japan
Laura Chinchilla will attend a lunch with Japanese Emperor Akihito and a bilateral meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda on Tuesday.
Costa Rica marks the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations with Asian economic powerhouse.

:previous:
Costa Rican President Laura Chinchilla (2nd from R in front) and Japanese Emperor Akihito (front R) chat during a luncheon at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Dec. 8, 2011.

**Pic** - Kyodo

daylife gallery

Last edited:
HM the Emperor turns 78 - December 23rd, 2011

Emperor turns 78, lauds Tohoku spirit | The Japan Times Online
On the occasion of his 78th birthday Friday, Emperor Akihito reflected on the past year and expressed his concern and continued support for victims of the quake, tsunami and nuclear crisis triggered on March 11.
[...]
The Emperor voiced his concerns about the health of the evacuees, especially the elderly, who still face severe conditions in disaster-hit areas.
[...]
On his recent poor health, the Emperor, who was admitted to a hospital with bronchial pneumonia Nov. 6 and received treatment for more than two weeks, said, "I would like to express my gratitude to all the people for their concern and compassion regarding my health.
"I shall take good care of my health as I resume my work through various events related to the coming new year," he said.
Noting that 70 years have passed since the outbreak of the Pacific War in December 1941, the Emperor repeated his hopes for peace.
"Now that the memories of the war have started to fade, I think it is extremely important for everyone to study time and again the course of history Japan has followed and to reflect on peace," he said.
The Emperor traditionally holds a news conference before his birthday, but in light of his health issues he only released a statement this year, the Imperial Household Agency said.

Official photosession - daylife gallery

Emperor turns 78, shows concern for people in disaster-hit areas | Kyodo News

Press Conference on the Occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2011)

Last edited:
That is a fascinating statement.

"Now that the memories of the war have started to fade, I think it is extremely important for everyone to study time and again the course of history Japan has followed and to reflect on peace," he said.

HM the Emperor's speech on the balcony of the Imperial palace - December 23rd, 2011.

Asahi video

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko make such a nice couple to me. I love their body language.

Emperor expresses hopes for united rebuilding effort
Kyodo
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko on Sunday received New Year's greetings at the start of 2012 from other imperial family members and foreign ambassadors, while expressing hope in his New Year's message for cooperative and patient efforts to rebuild society after the nation was devastated by a series of natural disasters last year.
Among the well-wishers who extended congratulations to the emperor and the empress at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo were Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, Prince Akishino and his wife Princess Kiko, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda and about 200 ambassadors and their spouses. [...]
The agency said the emperor will offer New Year's greetings to well-wishers on Monday when the general public visits the Imperial Palace. Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will be among imperial family members who will appear on the palace's balcony five times that day. [...]
The Imperial Household Agency released five 31-syllable "waka" poems Sunday written by Emperor Akihito and three by Empress Michiko. [...]

Thinking of the people in temporary housing
(Emperor Akihito)
'Tis cold once again
In the afflicted regions
My heart goes out to
The people facing winter
In temporary housing

I think this poem is quite remarkable given the fact that there ARE people in Japan who believe that the living circumstances of the earthquake victims might have been a lot better IF their wellbeing had been given the high priority it deserves. But, unfortunately, as the BBC reported, the Japanese tsunami fund was 'used for a whaling programme'. The Japan Times wrote:
Consider the Tohoku disaster victims. What they really need is assistance both physical and financial, and coordinated action by the authorities to help them reconstruct their lives in a place of their choosing.
Instead, look what they're getting: A government paralyzed by sloth, doling out underwhelming aid. A Parliament gridlocked by political party games. An ongoing nuclear situation whose resolution depends on a profoundly corrupt system more interested in controlling the flow of bad news to the public than in dealing with the problem in a trustworthy and forthright manner.
Reading the emperor´s poems, one might conclude that neither he gives the blame solely to nature´s powers for what his people have to suffer.

Last edited:
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko make such a nice couple to me. I love their body language.
His Majesty is very attentive and supportive to his spouse.
Photo from today's ceremony for Japanese dignitaries.
Lovely couple.:flowers:

Japan to Hold Memorial Ceremony to Mark 1st Anniversary of March 11 disaster
Japan will hold a memorial ceremony on March 11 this year to mark the first anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami which devastated northeastern Japan, said Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura Friday.
Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda as well as families of the victims will attend the ceremony. The event is set to be held at the National Theater in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward, Fujimura told a press conference.
The ceremony will be the first to be held by the central government to mourn victims in the disaster.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120121b3.html
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, as well as Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda and people representing various fields, are slated to attend the event, which will be held at the National Theater in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward, Fujimura said at a press conference.
[...]
The government plans to broadcast the event live to the three prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima that were hardest hit by the disaster, plus Aomori, Chiba and Ibaraki, which were also badly affected, according to the officials. Tokyo is also considering inviting foreign dignitaries, including ambassadors, to the ceremony, they added.

Last edited:

Emperor Akihito delivered a speech during the opening ceremony of the 150-day ordinary parliament
session at the house of councilors in Tokyo on January 24, 2012.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda delivered his policy speech that he will move to double sales
tax to ten percent, saying the future of the world's third largest economy depends on turning back
a rising tide of public debt.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/reuters gallery **

TM the Emperor Akihito and the Empress Michiko attended the Mito Chamber Orchestra concert in Tokyo on January 22nd, 2012.
Haydn's music was performed.

**Pic** - Kyodo

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko attended a ceremony to mark the 50th anniversary of the
establishment of the National Cancer Center in Tokyo on January 24, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Imperial couple visiting the enterprise for disabled people, where the artificial flowers and plants are manufactured - January 25th, 2012.

**Pic** - Mainichi

Emperor to have heart examined on February 11, 2012

Emperor to undergo heart tests | The Japan Times Online
Emperor Akihito will undergo a coronary artery test Feb. 11 after an electrocardiogram showed a minor problem in blood supply to the heart when he was engaged in light exercise, the Imperial Household Agency said Wednesday.
The 78-year-old Emperor underwent a similar coronary angiography test at the University of Tokyo Hospital last February after showing symptoms of cardiac ischemia. He was diagnosed with arteriosclerosis at the time and received medication.
The agency said there would be no change in the Emperor's official schedule and he will go ahead with a retreat with Empress Michiko to their villa in Kanagawa Prefecture from Thursday through Tuesday as planned.

Emperor to have heart examined on Feb. 11 - The Mainichi Daily News

AFP: Japanese emperor to undergo heart test

Thanks you for updating us on the Emperor's health. I am so please that the Imperial couple are going on a retreat for a few days rest and relaxing.

Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko stroll on a beach near their imperial villa where they are staying for the emperor's recuperation in Hayama town, south of Tokyo February 2, 2012.
The Akishinos will join the Imperial couple at the villa this weekend.
The 78-year-old Emperor Akihito will undergo a coronary artery test on February 11 after an electrocardiogram showed minor ischemic change when he was engaged in light exercise, a symptom that could lead to insufficient blood flow to the heart, local media reported on Wednesday.
Emperor Akihito, who ascended the throne in 1989, has had a series of health problems in recent years, including undergoing treatment for prostate cancer in 2003.

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** **Pic 3** **Pic 4**- Kyodo

I like the last photo of the Imperial couple interacting with local residents near their imperial villa.:flowers:

Yes, it's nice that people can get so close to them. The Empress looks beautiful. She has such great style.

I like the last photo of the Imperial couple interacting with local residents near their imperial villa.:flowers:

The Emperor still seems rather frail. I hope his health will improve soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom