Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emperor starts rehab

Emperor Akihito has started cardiac rehabilitation at University of Tokyo Hospital following Saturday's heart bypass surgery, the Imperial Household Agency said Thursday. The Emperor, 78, began with walking in his room and is gradually extending the distance by going into hallways, according to the agency.[...]

Empress Michiko has visited the Emperor and given him potted butterbur sprout and "hamamelis japonica," which produces red flowers, the agency said.
Shingo Haketa, grand steward of the agency, told a press conference that the agency would consider ways of reducing the Emperor's duties after he leaves hospital if he so desires.
The Japan Times

"If he so desires" - in all probability, that will be exactly the problem...

Last edited:
It is touching that Empress Michiko has given these lovely plants to the Emperor. My continued hopes and thoughts for a restful recovery.

HM the Emperor Akihito is to meet the Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah on the state visit March 20-24, 2012. - Source
The Emperor will also grant the personal audiences to the PM of Thailand and Speaker of Parliament of Ukraine during their official visits to Japan on March 6-9, 2012 and March 7-11, 2012 respectively.

Thanks for the update!
I am looking forward to seeing photos of the upcoming state visit from Kuwait.

HM the Emperor Akihito is to meet the Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah on the state visit March 20-24, 2012. - Source
The Emperor will also grant the personal audiences to the PM of Thailand and Speaker of Parliament of Ukraine during their official visits to Japan on March 6-9, 2012 and March 7-11, 2012 respectively.

Thank you for the information.
I'm glad to lean of these engagements because it means His Majesty's health has improved sufficiently to allow working on regular level.

This German source says that the crown prince and princess visited the emperor at the hospital, along with Prince Akishino. I do not know if it is true as this Spanish source says that it was the empress who accompanied the crown princely couple. Either they were all there together or one of the sources is wrong. Anyway, both sources agree in that if all goes as planned, the emperor may leave the hospital next weekend.

Google translation (Scroll down)

Google translation

Japanese Emperor Akihito leaves hospital after surgery

Japan's Emperor Akihito has left hospital in Tokyo following a heart bypass operation, the palace has said. The 78-year-old head of state, who has suffered from poor health in recent months, underwent surgery in February at the University of Tokyo Hospital.

He was pictured walking on his own and bowing to doctors before getting in a car with his wife, Empress Michiko.
He is reported to be keen to take part in the anniversary events of the 11 March earthquake and tsunami. [...]
BBC News

The Emperor, 78, is undergoing rehabilitation to restore cardiac function after undergoing surgery for angina Feb. 18. It was his first operation since 2003, when he went under the knife for prostate cancer.
He is recovering well and shows no signs of irregular pulse or infection, the sources said.
The Emperor must rest at home for around a week after he is released, but he and Empress Michiko are scheduled to attend a memorial service in Tokyo on March 11 to commemorate the victims of the last year's earthquake and tsunami in Tohoku. [...]

On Friday, Prince Akishino and his wife, Princess Kiko, visited the Emperor at the hospital.
The Japan Times

After undergoing surgery for angina on February 18, the 78-year-old emperor went through cardiac rehabilitation programs, such as stair-walking and using exercise equipment. His doctors said the emperor needs one week or so of rest before returning to official duties.

But Imperial Household Agency officials said he strongly hopes to attend a government-hosted memorial service on March 11 in Tokyo to commemorate the victims of the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in eastern Japan.

The emperor and the agency will decide on his attendance after monitoring the progress of his recovery, they said.
Zeenews

Here are three pics that show the emperor leaving the hospital, along with the empress, and bidding good-bye to the hospital staff.

Another pic of the emperor in the car, waving.

Last edited:
I am glad the operation proceeded without complications and now His Majesty is back home. :)
The Emperor's commitment to his is definitely worth a praise; to attend an event so soon after a serious procedure and at his age - that takes real dedication. But then, 11 March is such a sad day for Japan and Japanese people that I'm certain the Emperor and Empress would do everything to be with their people, no matter what.

I hope that the emperor will have the strength to attend the memorial service as I am sure it would mean very much to the people who suffered from the disaster. But I also hope that he will take care of himself and leave it to the crown prince to welcome the Prime Minister of Thailand and the Chairman of the Parliament of the Ukraine who will visit Japan next week.

The emperor´s committment and dedication are indeed admirable, but I am afraid that he has a tendency to demand too much of himself. :ermm:
As much as I would wish him to be able to attend the service, I hope that the empress will convince him to refrain from doing it if it might endanger his health.

Daylife Gallery

Last edited:
I would agree with you had it been any other occasion, but I honestly don't think the Emperor will fail to attend the ceremonies on that particular day.
While he must of course take care of his health first, I think the entire Imperial Family will show unity and solidarity with their people on the one year anniversary of one of the most terrible days in modern Japanese history.

Several pictures of the Imperial couple leaving the hospital:
- Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko
- Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko bow to doctors before leaving the hospital

I would agree with you had it been any other occasion, but I honestly don't think the Emperor will fail to attend the ceremonies on that particular day.
While he must of course take care of his health first, I think the entire Imperial Family will show unity and solidarity with their people on the one year anniversary of one of the most terrible days in modern Japanese history.
I, in my turn ;), WOULD agree with you if I could be sure that the emperor would strictly rest for a week in order to attend the service, and then rest another week to make up for the exhaustion. But alas, I do not think that he will do that. :ermm:

Another pic of the emperor and empress

Here is a video that shows the emperor entering the hospital, the empress visiting her husband at the hospital and the emperor comforting disaster victims:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPzB9HVc9SQ

Thanks for the updates!
It is great that Emperor Akihito has left the hospital after successful treatment.

The Emperor's doctors said he needs a week or so to rest before returning to his official duties, but agency officials said he has high hopes for attending the state memorial service for the March 2011 disaster victims in Tokyo next Sunday. The decision on whether to attend will be made by the Emperor and the agency after monitoring his progress, they said.

Ichiro Kanazawa, the agency's main doctor, said at a news conference Sunday that he believes the Emperor is in currently good shape to participate in the memorial service but will have to rest until the end of the month once its over, he said. The Emperor is still dealing with liver dysfunction, low blood protein and insufficient appetite, but Kanazawa said he was expected to experience these symptoms and is improving.

Crown Prince Naruhito, his eldest son, and the Empress will continue to cover for the Emperor in affairs of state for the time being, the agency said.
The Japan Times

The emperor had originally been scheduled to meet Thailand´s prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra on her visit to Japan this week. In this article it is said that the crown prince will step in and grant an audience to the prime minister.

Japanese Emperor receives support from family

Ichiro Kanazawa, medical supervisor of the agency, held a press conference at 4pm on Sunday at the agency building. [...]

According to Kanazawa, the Empress regularly visited her husband at the hospital following his surgery. During his recovery she took extra care of him, bringing his favorite food from the Imperial Palace and playing relaxing music during his rehabilitation sessions.

The crown prince and his wife Crown Princess Masako, as well as Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, also visited him in the hospital. Princess Aiko,daughter of the crown prince and princess, sent a get-well card to the Emperor.

According to the agency, 97,899 people expressing their wishes for the Emperor's recovery had registered their names in visitors books placed at the Imperial Palace and other places from Feb 17 to Sunday. [...]

When asked about whether he felt relieved [after his demanding duty], Kanazawa said: "The scariest thing is that we lack concentration at this stage. Our duties won't end until we can confirm His Majesty has regained a quality of life similar to that of people his age."
The Yomiuri Shimbun/Asia News Network

Emperor gets fluid removed from chest

Emperor Akihito, who is recuperating from open heart bypass surgery, will undergo a suction procedure Wednesday morning to remove fluid from his lungs because of increased pleural effusion found during an X-ray examination, the Imperial Household Agency said Tuesday.

Since being discharged from hospital on Sunday, the emperor has not been eating as much as expected and is experiencing shortness of breath, not just when walking up and down stairs, according to the agency.
Because of a lack of improvement in his condition, the emperor underwent an examination at the Imperial Household Hospital in the grounds of the Imperial Palace in central Tokyo on Tuesday.

A team of doctors treating him had said earlier that the 78-year-old emperor was suffering from complications following the surgery, which took place on Feb. 18, including pleural effusion.
Mainichi

Emperor Akihito underwent a procedure Wednesday to have fluid removed from his chest that had accumulated since undergoing heart bypass surgery last month, the Imperial Household Agency said. The agency said the treatment conducted at the Imperial Household Hospital was completed without any trouble and that a considerable amount of fluid was removed.

The 78-year-old emperor, who was discharged Sunday from the University of Tokyo Hospital, where he had heart surgery Feb. 18, arrived at the Imperial Household Hospital along with Empress Michiko and underwent suction to remove the buildup of fluid which had increased recently. [...]
A team of doctors treating the emperor had said earlier that the fluid buildup is a common condition following coronary artery surgery.
Mainichi

This does not sound well. So far they have constantly been telling us that there were not any problems, and now they say that the doctors determined "that the emperor did not have to remain hospitalized because fluid in the lungs should not affect his everyday life". That means that they must have known already before Sunday that there are complications but they must have thought that it would not be necessary to inform the public about it. But now it has become necessary, obviously. Not nice at all. :sad:

Last edited:
:previous:
That is rather worrying. :sad:
Perhaps the Emperor should indeed rest and concentrate on his health; I am sure that the people of Japan will not be offended if he isn't present during the upcoming ceremony, especially if the rest of the Imperial Family is out in force.

It is indeed worrying. In this article, they say that it will be decided in the last minute if the emperor will attend the memorial service. (Google translation)

I am no medical expert, so this is just an unfounded suspicion, but I somehow get the feeling that they are trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation by saying that "the fluid buildup is a common condition following coronary artery surgery". That may be so, but even if it is common, it can still be dangerous, especially considering the emperor´s age and the fact that this is not his first illness.

Maybe they should rather tell people the truth. If the emperor´s life should be at stake, I am sure nobody would expect him to attend the memorial service.

Perhaps it is the Emperor himself who wishes to downplay the seriousness of his condition, though.
He seems the type who dislikes giving in to illness; I suspect it's very difficult to get him to rest and take it easy.

But it does sound very worrying indeed.

Perhaps it is the Emperor himself who wishes to downplay the seriousness of his condition, though.
That is possible, you may very well be right. This could maybe also explain why the emperor went home even if his doctors knew already before Sunday that not all was going as planned. Imo it is not convincing that “the doctors determined that the emperor did not have to remain hospitalized because fluid in the lungs should not affect his everyday life“. Fluid in the lungs would in any case affect everybody´s everyday life, whether in a hospital or at home, so that´s nonsense imo. Besides, the emperor went home Sunday, went back to the hospital for an examination on Tuesday and was there again on Wednesday to have the fluid removed. It cannot be good for a convalescent man to be constantly driving around the city. So, it would apparently have made sense for the doctors to recommend the emperor to stay a few days more at the hospital. And maybe that is what they did, but the emperor insisted to go home because he was well aware that he could not stay in the hospital until March, 10 and then attend the memorial ceremony on March, 11... :sad:

Of course, it is also possible that the complications came unexpected also for the medical team and that they now try to convince us that they foresaw this in order to pretend that they are still in control. Which maybe they are not... :ermm:

In any case, this course of events does not bode well. But let´s hope the treatment will have desired effect. At least, this is what they seem to say in this article:
Emperor Akihito has got his appetite back and is gradually getting better after having fluid removed from his chest Wednesday, the head of the Imperial Household Agency said Thursday.
(That is the only sentence that is available to non-subscribers.)

The following video shows the emperor leaving the hospital last Sunday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJoUCNTJpYk

Fluid in the lungs and apparantly overruling the doctors. (There is no way the doctors here as well would willingly discharge a man at his age with fluids in his lungs, let alone the monarch).
It sounds a bit to me like he has gone home to die.

If so, I can certainly understand him.

There is no way the doctors here as well would willingly discharge a man at his age with fluids in his lungs, let alone the monarch.
Do you know more about this condition? Just how dangerous is it?

At present, it does not look too bad. But twenty minutes is not much, so it is difficult to say if the emperor is really on a constant way to recovery or if he will spend more energy on the occasion than he can actually afford:

Japanese Emperor Akihito, who received a heart surgery last month, underwent a checkup Friday before deciding whether to attend a quake memorial ceremony on Sunday, according to Imperial Household Agency sources.
The 78-year-old emperor had a chest X-ray at the Imperial Household Hospital following the removal Wednesday of fluid that had accumulated in his chest after his heart bypass surgery.
CRIENGLISH

Japanese Emperor Akihito, who received a heart surgery last month, will attend Sunday's ceremony commemorating the victims of last March's earthquake and tsunami in Tokyo, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday. The emperor and the Empress Michiko, will both attend the official ceremony for about 20 minutes, half of the originally planned 40 minutes, according to the agency.
[...]
During Sunday's ceremony, the emperor and empress will participate in a silent prayer, the time when the disaster struck a year earlier. The emperor will also deliver a speech.
Shanghai Daily

Last edited:
Emperor to attend ceremony Sunday to commemorate disaster victims

Japanese Emperor Akihito, who is recuperating from heart surgery, will attend a ceremony Sunday in Tokyo commemorating the victims of last March's earthquake and tsunami, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday. [...]

In Sunday's ceremony, the royal couple will participate in a silent prayer at 2:46 p.m., the time when the disaster began a year earlier. The emperor will also deliver a speech. [...]

As his doctors said the emperor should rest at the Imperial Residence until the end of March, Crown Prince Naruhito will cover the emperor's affairs of state, except the ceremony attendance, for the time being.
Mainichi

Do you know more about this condition? Just how dangerous is it?

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.asp?id=56278

Fluids in the lungs is never good.
Depending of course on how much fluid there is and how irritating it is.

It reduces your lung capacity, and if you have to cough up fluid, which you inevitable will, it's also very tiring. It affects your sleep as well.
For a man who is old and already weakened by cancer and the recent operation it's extra serious.
There is also the added risk of developing a severe pneumonia. - And that's a major killer among older people.

I don't know the overall health of the Emperor. He is probably in pretty good health for his age. However even for much younger people the best cure, when having fluids in your lungs, is to take it slow and let the body take the time it needs to deal with it and let the medication take effect.

That the Emperor go public to deliver a speech, even if it's only for twenty minuttes, is a testament to his dedication, but wise? - I don't think so.

Thank you for the explanation! :flowers:

Of course, it depends on what your standards are but I, for one, do not think that I would call the emperor "in pretty good health for his age".
The emperor, who ascended the throne in 1989, underwent treatment for prostate cancer in 2003. Last November, he was hospitalized for over two weeks for bronchial pneumonia. The emperor also suffered stomach bleeding and other problems in 2008, believed to have been caused by stress, leading to his official duties being cut back since 2009.
Japan Times

He is certainly a personality with a strong will that will help him to keep going even when he does not feel too well. But while at a younger age this may be an advantage, I suppose that once you get older it is more beneficial to use your energy rather economically and to early listen to "warning calls". Which Emperor Akihito does not do, obviously...:ermm:

When it was announced that he would undergo surgery, it was reported that since the last heart examination in February 2011, the emperor had noticed "no particular symptoms". In contrast, the crown prince said on his recent birthday press conference that "the emperor had been complaining of slight heart discomfort for some time prior to the surgery". (Mainichi) Accordingly, it is imo obvious that there WERE symptoms but that the emperor simply did not take them serious.

Whatever happens, I hope that the emperor, in retrospect, may find that his attendance at the ceremony will have been worth the price he´ll have to pay for it.

Last edited:
:previous: You are right.
I should have written that the Emperor probably has a pretty good constitution for his age.

I don't know about the after effects of a heart surgery. I guess that even if you are elderly, as long as you are slim and pretty healthy you should be able to recover very well.

I know about lungs however. Both through Mrs. Muhler's work and because some older family members died from that.
But first and foremost in the former Jugoslavia. We medics lost count of how many pneumonia cases we saw there. Especially among children and elderly and that really knocked the wind out of them, even tough they were robust people who had lived a rural life.

I've just seen the emperor and empress on the BBC news attending the memorial ceremony, it was very moving.

Japan Emperor: Never Forget Tsunami Victims

Japan has held memorial services for the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck one year ago, killing more than 19,000 people and unleashing a nuclear crisis. […] The main ceremony took place in Tokyo at the National Theatre, attended by Japan's Emperor Akihito and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda. Across the country, a minute's silence was observed at the exact moment the quake hit (5.46am GMT).

"There will be more challenges ahead of us. All in our nation need to think about the people living in this area and I expect all of us to assist them and that we never forget," Emperor Akihito said. "The experience must be handed down to future generations to make our country a much safer place."

In the coastal town of Rikuzentakata, a siren sounded and a Buddhist priest in a purple robe rang a huge bell at a damaged temple overlooking a barren area where houses once stood. At the same time in Tokyo, the emperor and Mr Noda stood silently with hundreds of other people at a memorial service. […]

While much of the debris has been gathered into massive piles, very little rebuilding has begun. […]

Mr Noda has acknowledged failures in the government's response to the disaster, being too slow in relaying key information and believing too much in "a myth of safety" about nuclear power. "We can no longer make the excuse that what was unpredictable and outside our imagination has happened," he said. "Crisis management requires us to imagine what may be outside our imagination."
Sky News

Video
Japan holds national memorial for disaster victims - YouTube

Last edited:
Thank you for articles, video and information. :)

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko paid their respects before an altar during a memorial service for the victims of the march 11, 2011 earthquake, in Tokyo on March 11, 2012. Japan marked the first anniversary of the March 11 massive earthquake and tsunami which killed some 19,000 people in northern Japan. The whole nation observed a minute of silence to honour the victims of the tragedy.
Emperor Akihito offered his condolences in his first official appearance since coronary bypass surgery last month. With a moment of silence, prayers and anti-nuclear rallies, Japan marked on Sunday one year since an earthquake and tsunami killed thousands and set off a radiation crisis.

Several pictures from the ceremony.
- The Emperor and Empress before the altar
- The Emperor and Empress bowing before the altar
- The Emperor and Empress
- The Emperor and Empress bowing their heads in respect
- Residents listens to a televised message from the Emperor during a official memorial service
- Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda makes a memorial address while the Emperor and Empress listen
- The Emperor and Empress with Post-Disaster Reconstruction Minister Tatsuo Hirano upon their arrivals for a memorial ceremony
- The Emperor and Empress are greeted by Tatsuo Hirano, Minister for Reconstruction, and Minister of State for Disaster Management

- A Buddhist monk prays for the victims of the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami
- People gather at the Okawa elementary school in Ishinomaki to pray for 74 school children and 10 teachers who lost their lives

Last edited:
The National Anthem (Kimigayo) performed during today's ceremony led by the Emperor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go7L6dacjuw

The video of Prime Minister's speech with English translation
Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Memorial Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda Speaks 3/11/12 - YouTube

A most dignified and touching ceremony. I am honestly awed by the strength and resolution of Japanese people.
Armenia suffered one of the worst earthquakes of modern times back in 1988; we know what it is like to try to rebuild from the scratch. My prayers and support are, as they have always been, with our Japanese brothers and sisters. :sad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom