Queen Margrethe's Summer Tour aboard the Dannebrog: 2015 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Eya and Iceflower :flowers:

There live around three million people in the German state of Schleswig Holstein of those some 3 % belong to the Danish minority. The overwhelming majority are German citizens, but have been granted a special status in regards to having (subsidized) a Danish newspaper. Danish schools and kindergarten where the first language is Danish. (That doesn't preclude fully ethnic Germans from signing up there. Many do in fact, for various reasons.)
There is also a Danish party represented in the local parliament.

Each year the minority gets an amount from Denmark that is equivalent to around one third of the direct subsidy to Greenland. (Greenland is indirectly additionally subsidized by not being responsible for the now not insignificant Danish military presence there. Advanced healthcare, education about high school level and so on.) The population of Greenland is 58.000, the Danish minority in Germany constitute around 50.000.

And every ten years or so QMII comes visiting, And in between other members of the DRF drop by the minority in Germany.

The three dukedoms of Slesvig & Holsten (Danish spelling) and Lauenborg were a part of the Danish realm, but not Denmark from around 1300 until 1864. They were not subject to the Danish monarch, but instead the Danish monarch was always their duke. (A little compromise that worked for 500 years.)
That meant that the dukedoms has their own legislation, their own administration and German as the first language, but de facto on a day to day basis they were considered a part of the Danish realm.
They were not Danes, nor did they see themselves as Danes. Nor were they Germans. They were Schleswigans, Holsteiners and Lauenburgers.
- This paragraph is essential if you are ever going to study let alone hope to comprehend the Schleswig-Holstein issue with Denmark.

An issue the British PM Palmerston, is famously quoted for saying that only three people have ever really understood: One was dead, one went mad over it, and Palmerston himself had forgotten what it really was all about...

It is not obvious to many today, not even Danes, that until 1864 Denmark was a multi-national realm. It is actually only for the past 175 years that Denmark has been a predominantly national realm.

Until 1814, when the Swedes stole Norway from us (actually, to be more correct, they stole Norway from the Norwegians, but that's for another thread) the Danish realm constituted mainly of Danes, Germans and Norwegians, with a sprinkle of Icelanders, Greenlanders, Shetland islanders - and for a brief period Estonians and English as well.
So standing in Copenhagen in say 1775, you would be forgiven for thinking you were in Babylon for all the different languages and mutually unintelligible dialects spoken! - And that's only counting those who were a part of the realm, not foreigners.

But back to today and the minorities.
There is also a German minority in Denmark who enjoy similar privileges. Today they constitute some 15-20.000 people.

The three dukedoms of Slesvig & Holsten (Danish spelling) and Lauenborg were a part of the Danish realm, but not Denmark from around 1300 until 1864. They were not subject to the Danish monarch, but instead the Danish monarch was always their duke. (A little compromise that worked for 500 years.)
That meant that the dukedoms has their own legislation, their own administration and German as the first language, but de facto on a day to day basis they were considered a part of the Danish realm.
They were not Danes, nor did they see themselves as Danes. Nor were they Germans. They were Schleswigans, Holsteiners and Lauenburgers.
- This paragraph is essential if you are ever going to study let alone hope to comprehend the Schleswig-Holstein issue with Denmark.

An issue the British PM Palmerston, is famously quoted for saying that only three people have ever really understood: One was dead, one went mad over it, and Palmerston himself had forgotten what it really was all about...

It is not obvious to many today, not even Danes, that until 1864 Denmark was a multi-national realm. It is actually only for the past 175 years that Denmark has been a predominantly national realm.

Until 1814, when the Swedes stole Norway from us (actually, to be more correct, they stole Norway from the Norwegians, but that's for another thread) the Danish realm constituted mainly of Danes, Germans and Norwegians, with a sprinkle of Icelanders, Greenlanders, Shetland islanders - and for a brief period Estonians and English as well.
So standing in Copenhagen in say 1775, you would be forgiven for thinking you were in Babylon for all the different languages and mutually unintelligible dialects spoken! - And that's only counting those who were a part of the realm, not foreigners.

Thank you for the further background information, Muhler. If the Schleswigans/Holsteiners/Lauenburgers had seen themselves as Danes, I assume the "incomprehensible" constitutional issues would have lacked any force and Margrethe II would not be on the throne today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the further background information, Muhler. If the Schleswigans/Holsteiners/Lauenburgers had seen themselves as Danes, I assume the "incomprehensible" constitutional issues would have lacked any force and Margrethe II would not be on the throne today.

Hmm, I don't understand what you mean.

If they had seen themselves as Danes they wouldn't have rebelled in 1848 and the Danish-German border would have remained along the river Eider, almost 200 km further south than today and DK would have competed with Sweden about being the most populous country in Scandinavia.
But AFAIK the royal line would have been the same.

Thanks, Iceflower.

QMII would have been in her right element today!
A visit to the ancient (at least 1.200 years old) border-wall Dannevirke, protecting Schleswig and Denmark against incursions from the south.
And inspired by the Romans, also collecting taxes at the few gates through the wall that stretched almost right across the southern part of the Jutland peninsula.

The Germanic tribes (the Danes being a Germanic tribe) while fierce adversaries to the Romans - on occasion - also tried to copy the Romans.
The concept of border-walls with forts would not have been unknown to the Danes, Jutes, Angles and Cimbrians who lived in Denmark some 1.500 years ago even if there were hundreds of kilometers to the Roman border (which was collapsing anyway). Travelers and traders would have known about and seen the Roman walls and roads.
Some may even have visited the crumbling Hadrian's Wall.
And the brightest would have seen the administrative and logistic advantages of a wall (and collecting taxes...) and a maintained road. So when a Danish king who was strong enough economically, politically and militarily came about Dannevirke was build, and so was the Army Road that goes up from Dannevirke up along the length of Jutland. For centuries that was de facto the only road worth mentioning in the entire Danish realm! People who wanted to go anywhere sailed.

And that leads us to the next item QMII had a look at, the reconstructed Nydams Boat. It's a large ocean-going rowing boat from the Bronze Age and the direct predecessor to the Viking longboats and freighters.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/NYDAM_TVEIR,1.jpg
It's basically only since 14-1500's that the Danes went anywhere by land. And that change was economic. The whole of the agricultural system went to raising cattle around the 1400's and the beasts had to be driven in herds down south to the markets in Holstein and Germany, hence why more reasonably roads were established.

Hmm, I don't understand what you mean.

If they had seen themselves as Danes they wouldn't have rebelled in 1848 and the Danish-German border would have remained along the river Eider, almost 200 km further south than today and DK would have competed with Sweden about being the most populous country in Scandinavia.
But AFAIK the royal line would have been the same.

I meant that had they seen themselves as Danes, they would likely not have objected to the succession of a princess to the duchies, and the attempt to placate them by changing the order of succession to put a descendant in paternal line (Queen Margrethe II's ancestor Christian IX) on the throne would not have been necessary. :flowers:

I meant that had they seen themselves as Danes, they would likely not have objected to the succession of a princess to the duchies, and the attempt to placate them by changing the order of succession to put a descendant in paternal line (Queen Margrethe II's ancestor Christian IX) on the throne would not have been necessary. :flowers:

Ah, I see.

Yes, perhaps.
It's indeed ironic that the King during the Second Schleswigan War spoke with a distinct German accent. While at the same time being the living symbol for the hardcore Danish nationalists.

A bigger what if, is what would have happened had QMI lived a little longer. She was on the verge of making a political agreement with the duchies that would have strengthened the bonds between the duchies and the Nordic Union. She was quite an astute politician!

Thank you all for the updates. Does QMII speaks german? Does anyone know if the queen have any special relation with germany?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the updates. Does QMII speaks german? Does anyone know if the queen have any special relation with germany?

QMII does speak German. Although she probably understand and read German much better than she speaks it.

QMII is a child of the Occupation and she is as such very much influenced by the attitude her family had towards Germany and she has openly admitted that she for many years had problems having a, shall we say, positive attitude towards Germany and the Germans.

And this year 2020, the Queen will conduct two summer trips in Denmark with the Royal Ship Dannebrog.

The first trip goes to Kattegatøen Anholt on 3 June and the Municipality of Aarhus on 5-6 June and later in the summer, the Queen visits the Thisted municipalities on 31 August, Esbjerg on 1 September and Fanø on 2 September.

Hendes Majestæt Dronningens sommertogter 2020 | Kongehuset

"On Tuesday at 12.00, Her Majesty the Queen will officially board the Royal Ship Dannebrog. It will be the beginning of a sailing season that takes the Queen to a Reunion Celebration in Southern Jutland, on a trip to the Faroe Islands and Greenland and on a summer trip to the municipalities of Thisted, Esbjerg and Fanø.⁣"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CONKNhhAxsi/

"On Tuesday at 12.00, Her Majesty the Queen will officially board the Royal Ship Dannebrog. It will be the beginning of a sailing season that takes the Queen to a Reunion Celebration in Southern Jutland, on a trip to the Faroe Islands and Greenland and on a summer trip to the municipalities of Thisted, Esbjerg and Fanø.⁣"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CONKNhhAxsi/

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/kongeskibet-dannebrogs-sejlsaeson-2021

"The first highlight of this year's sailing season will be Sunday 13 June, when the Queen will take part in the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Denmark's reunion with Southern Jutland. Last year, the Royal House's planned activities were canceled in July.
This year, it is planned that the Queen will participate in the postponed celebration with a program inspired by the event that took place in 1920.

His Royal Highness the Crown Prince and His Royal Highness Prince Christian will also participate in parts of the celebration."

Last edited:
There will be summer cruises this year.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-aflysning-nu-staevner-dronningen-ud

On 4th May QMII will board Dannebrog and thus open the sailing season.

On 13th June QMII will sail to Southern Jutland, with Frederik and Christian, to commemorate the 100th anniversary and that part of DK returning to DK back in 1920.

During July QMII will visit the Faeroe Islands and Greenland. Details to come.

30 August - 1st. September QMII will visit towns and island in or close to Jutland.

There will be summer cruises this year.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/efter-aflysning-nu-staevner-dronningen-ud

On 4th May QMII will board Dannebrog and thus open the sailing season.

On 13th June QMII will sail to Southern Jutland, with Frederik and Christian, to commemorate the 100th anniversary and that part of DK returning to DK back in 1920.

During July QMII will visit the Faeroe Islands and Greenland. Details to come.

30 August - 1st. September QMII will visit towns and island in or close to Jutland.
Is that a first? The queen and her two heirs on an official sailing trip? It does show the importance of that day/commemoration.

Probably.

Billed Bladet hints that Christian this time will have a prominent role up front. - Rather than just accompanying the adults.

So going solo? Giving a speech? We shall see.

Probably.

Billed Bladet hints that Christian this time will have a prominent role up front. - Rather than just accompanying the adults.

Very interesting. I look forward to it, and to be honest, I am kinda excited to hear him in a speech. I bet that his voice has deepened a lot.;)

Probably.

I guess the question is, how much can be expected or produced from a 15-year-old who hasn't done anything official yet?

The flip side is Christian always having appeared very comfortable and easy with being in public and around people. Assuming they are not simply planning to toss him overboard in some kind of ritual, it could be very interesting.

Well, we don't know yet, exactly what Christian will be doing.

Perhaps he will just walk in the heels of his dad or grandmother.
But I doubt that.
I think he will have some sort of role. Whether that is cutting a ribbon and giving a short speech remains to be seen.
Christian has unveiled stuff since he was around five years old. So far his role has pretty much just being yanking a rope with the adults giving speeches.
This time I think he will do something like that, in the sense that QMII and Frederik will take the backseat, while Christian give a short speech on behalf of the DRF and then unveil a plaque or something. - It will be difficult to see anything though, because QMII and Frederik will be luminescent with pride. :D

I can also imagine Christian going solo, say being taken for a tour of some exhibition or presented to a school project by local school children. Or local school children acting as tour guides in order to present a more youthful view of the reunification. - There is a great interest in the national roots among young in the Danish minority in Germany these years.
I can imagine a reverse situation, where Christian is told about the whole thing from the point of young people from the German minority in DK.

Christian can visit a youth-club, a sports association or a kindergarten (who says only girls can visit kindergartens?) where he is going solo. - Not much can go wrong there. He pretty much just has to remain an ordinary curious fifteen year old.

Whatever will happen, this is a guaranteed:
Christian will meet the locals in as far as it is possible with the Corona restrictions at the time.
Christian will answer questions from journalists, both on the go and during more regular interviews.

It's on the job training and Christian has shown that he is confident in meeting the public and in being in the spotlight. And considering how truly hard it was for Frederik giving speeches, Christian might just as well get started as soon as possible.
And he will face a friendly audience.
He will have to cut off the heads of rabbits in front of children in order not to have a personal victory here. - And even then...

He has to start doing some official things on his own sooner or later and 15 is as good as age as any. These are heirs/esses are now busy young women and one guy on the move:)

Well, we don't know yet, exactly what Christian will be doing.

Perhaps he will just walk in the heels of his dad or grandmother.
But I doubt that.
I think he will have some sort of role. Whether that is cutting a ribbon and giving a short speech remains to be seen.
Christian has unveiled stuff since he was around five years old. So far his role has pretty much just being yanking a rope with the adults giving speeches.
This time I think he will do something like that, in the sense that QMII and Frederik will take the backseat, while Christian give a short speech on behalf of the DRF and then unveil a plaque or something. - It will be difficult to see anything though, because QMII and Frederik will be luminescent with pride. :D

I can also imagine Christian going solo, say being taken for a tour of some exhibition or presented to a school project by local school children. Or local school children acting as tour guides in order to present a more youthful view of the reunification. - There is a great interest in the national roots among young in the Danish minority in Germany these years.
I can imagine a reverse situation, where Christian is told about the whole thing from the point of young people from the German minority in DK.

Christian can visit a youth-club, a sports association or a kindergarten (who says only girls can visit kindergartens?) where he is going solo. - Not much can go wrong there. He pretty much just has to remain an ordinary curious fifteen year old.

Whatever will happen, this is a guaranteed:
Christian will meet the locals in as far as it is possible with the Corona restrictions at the time.
Christian will answer questions from journalists, both on the go and during more regular interviews.

It's on the job training and Christian has shown that he is confident in meeting the public and in being in the spotlight. And considering how truly hard it was for Frederik giving speeches, Christian might just as well get started as soon as possible.
And he will face a friendly audience.
He will have to cut off the heads of rabbits in front of children in order not to have a personal victory here. - And even then...

Very much so.
He has done some events, with his parents and no siblings, mostly (that I can remember) in Greenland and the Faroe Islands. He was of course younger but I remember his family visit to the Faroe Islands he had a few events with just Frederik and him.
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/images...nterpolation=lanczos-normal&downsize=0.75xw:*
And from Greenland, I clearly remember handing the greeting babies part fantastically.

I'm looking forward to it.

Time to show and emphasise continuity from HM, the CP and future heir.
godt klaret.

I guess the question is, how much can be expected or produced from a 15-year-old who hasn't done anything official yet?

The flip side is Christian always having appeared very comfortable and easy with being in public and around people. Assuming they are not simply planning to toss him overboard in some kind of ritual, it could be very interesting.

Christian has partaken in several official engagements. Especially during the tours to Greenland and the Faroe Islands during which M&F very clearly made a point out of bringing him along on engagements where he partook on par with his parents. No solo engagements yet, no, but very few 15 year olds or younger have.

Back
Top Bottom