Queen Margrethe's State Visit to Ghana: November 23-24, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A two-day visit, rather than three days. That's probably as much as she can handle on her own.

I must admit, I'd assumed she'd stopped doing foreign state visits so this is a nice surprise. Am I imagining it, or has she sort of got a second wind since Prince Henrik retired?

Yeah, almost invigorated, isn't she?

I'm glad you think so too - I just can't imagine why :whistling:

This is surprising! I'm happy about the news but I confess my first thought was that I hope her back holds up. Even travelling with every luxury it's a long flight there and back with a couple of busy days in the middle.

I do wonder if on this visit that she has the time or will find a way to go digging somewhere looking for ancient artifacts, bones and pottery. Her love of art and archaeology go hand in hand when she travels abroad for it satisfies her heart and soul.

The program of the state visit has beed added to the calendar of the Royal Court. It aslo seems like the state visit has been prolonged with one day, to end on Saturday 25th.

Thursday 23 November
10.30 - The Queen is received by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo. Flagstaff House, Accra

11.30 - The Queen attends a enterprise and business conference and visits the Danish Business delegation. Hotel Kempinski, Accra

12.30 - The Queen attends a business lunch. Hotel Kempinski, Accra

14.15 - The Queen visits H.M. The King of Osu. Accra

14.30 - The Queen visits Osu Castle, Accra. The castle was previously known as Fort Christiansborg.

16.00 - The Queen visits the art centre Arts & Design Centre. Accra

19.30 - The Queen attends a state banquet hosted by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo. Accra International Conference Center, Accra.

Friday 24 November
09.30 - The Queen visits Novo Nordisk Diabetes Support Center. Accra

10.45 - The Queen visits the Port of Accra, Tema. Tema, Accra

12.00 - The Queen visits Mærsk's port office. Tema, Accra

15.30 - The Queen visits the Danish Embassy in Ghana. Accra

19.30 - The Queen is host for a return event. Hotel Mövenpick, Accra

Saturday 25 November
10.30 - The Queen visits a local bead market. Agomanya, Ghana

11.00 - The Queen visits the Cedi Bead Factory. Odumase-Krobo, Ghana

13.00 - The Queen, together with Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen, holds a press conference. Hotel Royal Senchi, Ghana

15.15 - The Queen takes part in sailing on the Volta River. Volta River, Ghana

16.00 - The Queen visits H.M. The King of Akwamu.

:previous: Thank you. :flowers:

Denmark has historical ties to what is now Ghana.

As with most things in life, it's all down to money. The part of Africa where Ghana is located used to be called the Slave Coast, because this is where slaves were collected and brought aboard ship for the crossing of the Atlantic, either to South America, where there was an insatiable need for slaves, both in the plantations there but very much also the silver mines.
To the Caribbean for the sugar plantations there. The raw-material, raw sugar was transported to Europe for processing resulting in fine white sugar, which was a luxury item as late as in the 1700's but also rum, a very popular drink.
And of course for the cotton plantations in USA.
From Europe various fairly cheap products, especially cloth (being dressed in as much and colorful cloth as possible became a status symbol in West Africa. But also iron and steel tools and weapons. Glass ornaments of various kinds and indeed firearms. These products were traded for slaves.
There are various estimations of how many slaves were shipped across the Atlantic, with a considerable percentage dying under way. One estimation I have read and which seems plausible is some 11 million over a period of almost 200 years. - Considering the size of ships and logistics of the time, that is a very impressive number by any standards!
So the various European countries had trading posts, forts and slave-kraals all the way down the west coast.
But Europeans rarely ventured far from the coast. There was no need and the climate killed off many as it were already.
Instead slaves consisted mainly of prisoners of war and prisoners gathered through raids, and sometimes also of what we today would label "political prisoners", i.e. people who were or potentially could be in opposition to the local rulers.
As for prisoners of war. If they were girls and women, they were often kept by the local tribes. While the men and boys were sold to the Europeans.
Because it's important to keep in mind that the slave-trade could not have taken place without the very active co-operation of local rulers.
It would simply have been too dangerous and way too expensive to organize European expeditionary forces to find and gather slaves themselves.

Okay by the late 1600's it was decided in Copenhagen, by the King, Christian V actually, that Denmark should also have a bite of sugar-cake so to speak. So Denmark also established a handful of forts, in what is now Ghana. One of them is today located in the capital and now used by the government.
After some initial problems that became big business! Not least because DK managed to stay out of the European wars in the mind-1700's. But as there is still a need for money and products, even during a war, it became convenient to let a neutral country handle the shipping. DK sailed for everyone and to everywhere and with everything and that meant everybody else turned a blind eye, because everybody (in power that is) profited.
That was the beginning of the extraordinary position Denmark has to this day in regards to merchant shipping. Today some 13 % of the entire worldwide merchant shipping is under the Danish flag or controlled by Danish shipping agencies - and rising. - Quietly.

What about the slaves some of you may ask. Well, slavery was banned in the Danish realm, so there were no black slaves to disturb the picture in Denmark. It all happened far away in the African outposts and Caribbean colonies - out of sight, out of mind. Hear no evil, see no evil and certainly speak no evil!

The whole slave thing along the west coast of Africa quietly ended during the early 1800's.
But it continued for at least 50 more years along the east coast, because the Arabs in particular were very much involved in trading slaves as well. Albeit not on the same almost industrial scale as the Europeans. Such slaves were sold in the Middle East, to India (there are still some black decedents there. Now very much at the bottom of the society.) and also to China. Male black slaves were castrated and children born by black female slaves were routinely killed. The authorities did not want a sub-social class to emerge. And there was a good deal of racism in it as well. The "pure" Chinese blood was not to be "polluted".

There are still slaves in Africa today. At least hundreds of thousands, perhaps as many as several millions. Mainly in the countries in and bordering Sahara to the south.

And as a little detail: in the 1820-1850's Madagascar remained an independent kingdom and in the country people who entered the country without permission or who got shipwrecked there, and that was quite a few, belonged to the state and they were either killed or made slaves. The majority being European and Arabic seamen.

Mange tak Muhler! One does indeed see the Maersk Star everywhere there is a shipping container and your post goes a long way in explaining why! HM Queen Margrethe will have a very interesting visit indeed and it will be fascinating to follow her adventures!
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dronning Margrethe landet i Afrika | BILLED-BLADET

QMII has touched down in Ghana, for the state visit that starts tomorrow, Thursday.
That means the Challenger air force plane with QMII touched down at 18.01 - because according to Ghana custom visitors having such a high rank as QMII who touch down or leave Ghana by air between 08.00 and 18.00 get the full reception/send off with national hymns and so on.
So by landing at 18.01 QMII made sure she got a more subdued reception. Albeit still with the Vice-President of Ghana receiving her and a band playing more festive tunes in the background as well as dancers.
- So the official reception takes place tomorrow.

It's hot in Ghana, even around sunset. 27 degrees C (80.6 F).

:previous:

The Palace shared some more photos and a video of her arrival and the welcome reception by the Vice-President yesterday:

** kongehuset.dk: H.M. Dronningen er ankommet til Ghana ** kongehuset.dk video **

Here's another article about it:

** ghanaweb: Denmark's Queen Margrethe arrives in Ghana **

And here are the first photos of the official day 1 today, November 23, it started with a meeting with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo:

** kongehuset.dk: Statsbesøg i Ghana - dag 1 ** belga gallery **

** BB: Dronning Margrethe pompøst modtaget af Ghanas præsident ** translation **

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

A video report from BB today: VIDEO: Dronning Margrethe på gammelt slave-fort | BILLED-BLADET

Where QMII among other things visited local kings and chiefs. (Descendants of those we used to buy slaves from...).
I can't help thinking that the almost demonstrative way this king sits on his throne, with QMII sitting to his left... and considerably lower... - would have caused something close to a diplomatic incident had he been head of state. It would certainly be considered an affront. :ermm:?
But many West African kings tend to be very particular about their status! Even if they are not heads of states.

But QMII also visited one of the former Danish forts, abandoned in 1850, Christiansborg.
Which is today located in the capital of Ghana and at least until recently was used by the government.
To this day it's surprisingly easy to find locals bearing distinctly Danish surnames like Hansen and Nielsen.

QMII explains in the video that DK and Ghana has been on friendly footing for many years and there are no hard feelings from Ghana about the past.
- No, because Ghana needs investments and has a thriving tourist industry, which they hope to increase and then there is the little detail that the locals along the coast profited from the slave trade... We don't want to talk about that, no.
So we are all in agreement that we should put on the yes-hat, look forward and let the past be the past, right? :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

QMII visited the TEMA, the container port in Ghana - and this IMO is what this visit is really all about.
The port is currently being expanded and as it is Mærsk owns 35 % of the port. Mærsk is the largest container shipping company in the world and already run several harbors all over the world.
The plan is to make TEMA the largest container port in West Africa and thus making Ghana the import-export gateway to West Africa.
That means serious money and jobs for Ghana! - And by de facto controlling the port, also good money for Danish companies, since West Africa is a growing market.

Nigeria should have been the obvious choice for such a port, being the most populous country in Africa and with considerable off-shore oil rigs. But Nigeria is politically much less stable than Ghana, there is an annoying level of corruption there and there is also the problem with security. Ghana don't have the same problems with insurgents as Nigeria has. Keep in mind that Nigeria has had huge problems containing let alone defeating Boko Haram to the North. Boko Haram being basically a poorly organized, poorly armed rabble.
That detracts, because while Nigeria probably would be able to secure such a large container port, the containers needs to be transported away from the port. And looking away from Boko Haram, Nigeria also has huge problems with crime. There are high ways close to the capital that are no-go areas at night. Even the police don't patrol these roads at night!

So in come Ghana. Politically stable. Safe, otherwise they wouldn't have that many tourists. The economy is stable and the corruption level is acceptable.

And let's return to the local kings. Ghana has solved the problems or rather challenge with local tribes and their kings in a simple way. The local kings have simply been made a kind of mayors/magistrates for various district dominated by whatever tribe happens to live there. Keep in mind that to the local residents the local king actually matters, even if only symbolically. - So with this arrangement the local kings (and their tribes) are acknowledged and they get a (small) piece of the cake as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
You are welcome, Eya. ?

And thank you as well, for your tireless work on the forum. :flowers:

Another video report from BB: VIDEO: Dronning Margrethe tog fusen på ghaneser | BILLED-BLADET

First we see the Ghanese authorities requesting other motorists to clear the path for the cortege...
Novo Nordisk, which manufacture the majority of the insulin used in the world, also has a branch in Ghana. Obesity is actually a rising problem in Africa. Not least in the more stable West Africa. That is reinforced by obesity still being seen as a sign of affluence and for women also as a sign of fertility in most parts of Africa actually. - So QMII dropped by there as well.

At the embassy QMII personally presented a medal for long and good service to a Ghanese who has been employed there for 26 years.
In return she received a gold-brooch from the staff, which she put on immediately.

Thank you Muhler, as always, for your interesting insights :flowers: The Queen seems very relaxed and looks like she is enjoying the visit very much.

As always I am truly enjoying your commentary on Queen Daisy's visit anywhere. So I am wondering something, does she always travel with her chef and band when going to foreign countries? I can understand the chef for food in some parts of the world can effect the tummy really bad as it has happened to me. And does her lady in waiting travel with her also? She looks to be in good spirits and really on the ball with all the events here.

I did not know that Ghana and Denmark had that much in common so this is new to me, anywhere that I could read about it here or elsewhere would be of interest to me.....as always many Thanks for all that you do here for us monarchists and others.....;):flowers:

:previous: She doesn't travel with her own chef, as such. But there are often Danish chefs preparing the return dinner. - Cultural exchange and all that. Which of course includes gastronomy.

QMII always has a LiW on her travels, also private travels. And as they belong to her circle of friends they no doubt have a merry time together.

The Music Corps of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment are professional musicians, employed by the Ministry of Defense. Being professionals, parts of the corps often accompany the DRF when they are abroad showing the flag.
So they get to see a lot and often go to places normal musicians don't.

:previous:
Thank you so much for the response Muhler. I would never want to be a royal yet would love to be in the background of a royal family......much more freedom and so interesting and at the same time challenging work. Being a maid is fine with me, I know how to take great care of clothes being a sewer since a child..........would be great to handle all those gorgeous clothes too. Any left overs in clothes, send they my way for I make great use of left over clothing.....quilts anyone.....:lol:

Last edited:
DK television last night had a programme about the Queen's visit to Ghana -hopefully this link will work. It works for me in the UK. I got the gist of some of what was being said but maybe some of our wonderful Danish posters may offer a few translations especially of the Queen's comments.
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningen-i-ghana/-/dronningen-i-ghana#!/

This probably needs posting in the jewellery forum but I especially noticed the brooch that QM was wearing with her pink outfit. It looked like it was liquid inside but that doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

I watched it and it was good. I actually considered writing about it, but I didn't get around to post a link.

I'm glad you can watch it. I'll have a look at it later.

I watched it and it was good. I actually considered writing about it, but I didn't get around to post a link.

I'm glad you can watch it. I'll have a look at it later.

I didn't like to mention you by name Muhler as you already do so much for us on this board but I was rather hoping......:flowers:

QM was so obviously having a great time and the Ghanaians seemed thrilled to have her there.

Glad you can see the link polyesco and yes, the Queen looks terrific ?

https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningen-i-ghana/-/dronningen-i-ghana#!/
Summary and comments based on the docu about the visit.

Okay, we start after the initial sequence and begin with the arrival right after sunset. Which was still pretty festive, albeit more low key than an official welcome.
This is QMII's 53rd state visit, and her first the Ghana.
There has been a considerable interest for this visit in Ghana. Because this visit also marks a transition for Ghana. From a country receiving aid, from Denmark among other countries, to a country that has now been elevated to a trading partner.
So apart from the business deals and investments this also marks Ghana's entry into the developed world so to speak. With stamp and seal and fanfare.

03:00 The official welcome by the President of Ghana.
QMII and PH visited all the other five Nordic nations the year she became Queen. We can well expect M&F to do something similar - plus Australia.
1986 in Egypt.
1988 in Morocco.
1996 in South Africa.
2008 in Tanzania. (Do enjoy QMII at 04:48!)
QMII finds it exciting to be in Ghana, especially as she has never been to West Africa before.

Danish merchants ships began sailing to West Africa in the mid 1600's. There is actually quite a lot of gold in this part of Africa.
Around 1680 we also begin buying slaves for use in the Americas. At this time some tribes in Ghana are already trading (also slaves) with other European countries. It is estimated that around 110.000 slaves were transported across the Atlantic aboard Danish ships. A slave in West Africa cost around the value of a bottle of liquor.
DK prohibits slave trade in 1803 (as the first nation actually, but not having slaves. Even though slaves are forbidden in Denmark itself. The Danish colonies in the Caribbeans are still very much run by slaves until 1848).
In 1850 the Danish outposts in Africa are sold to the British. Until Ghana gains its independence in 1957.

08:15 QMII visits the fort Christiansborg, which was and to some extent still is used by the Ghanese government. The fort is from 1661.
QMII is asked about the slave-trade and replies that the past is the past and we should be careful not to view the past with present eyes. It was a different time.

10:30 A number of local kings or chiefs have shown up. Today they act as local mayors or magistrates. - Notice the huge amount of colorful cloth they are wearing, as well as gold. Colorful cloth was and is a status symbol and the locals profited very much from the trade as is evident from the amount of gold they possessed.
Unsurprisingly QMII was delighted by the colorful outfits.

11:30 QMII pays a courtesy visit to the king responsible for area where Fort Christiansborg is located.
A kind of priest pour schnapps on the ground in order to please the spirits of the ancestors. QMII was fascinated by the way he executed it. Pouring out (Danish) schanpps in that effortless way is not that easy!

There are still of lot of traces from the Danish past, which after all lasted for 200 years until 1850.
That includes a number of the houses, some of which are still lived in by people who lived there "under the Danes".
The 77 year old gentleman here is invited for an event at Christiansborg Fort, because he is a direct ancestor of a Danish merchant.

A pretty hot TV-host, eh?

There will be no official Danish apology for the slave trade. That is in the past. Instead that chapter of Danish-Ghanese history is acknowledged openly. The Danish Foreign Minister (good grief!) is here giving an official unofficial apology for the past, which is welcomed in Ghana.

16.30 - But this is also about money. Ghana is the world's largest producer of cocoa beans and soon the largest container port in West Africa, will be located in Ghana, as well as insulin production/distribution.
For Denmark Ghana is a bridgehead into Africa, for Ghana Denmark means investments, improved infrastructure, jobs and export.
The port is the largest investment in the Ghanese infrastructure ever, and since Danish Mærks owns 35 % of the port, the res carpet is rolled out for QMII!

17:30 QMII's interest in art is well known and as such she visits a design center for art, where young talents develop themselves. - African art south of Sahara, is special. Art has traditionally not been made in order to be preserved for posterity. It is enjoyed or serves a function in the present and is either discarded or decays. (I learned that from PH).

19:00 Despite Ghana being a stable democracy, with freedom of speech, free from terrorism and with economic growth, there is still poverty in Ghana.

On the third day QMII and the delegation travels inland.
The last state visit by the Regent Couple was a couple of years ago to Indonesia. Here PH once again did what he is good at, creating a light and relaxed mood.
QMII admits it's a little odd going on a state visit on her own.
QMII visits a market far away from the capital, having a great time looking at all the colorful things, and doing some shopping, while creating quite a commotion among the locals.
She's in fine form! And the commentator believe this is a clear sign that she has no intention whatsoever to abdicate.

The last item on the agenda takes up the Volta River to a King, whose people 300 years ago managed to capture Fort Christiansborg and then prudently sold the place back to the Danes. They are pretty proud of that achievement!
They kept the keys to the fort though. And that key is today a relic and the press was not allowed to film the keys, which was shown to QMII. - There is a lot of superstition in Ghana, but then some people in the West believe in crystals and pyramids, so what's the difference?
The keys has huge symbolic meaning and is only presented on very special occasions.

At the end a member of the press wish QMII a nice trip up the river.
The King of the Akvama-people. Who today dominate Ghana, and with whom Denmark had profitable trade-relations.

Back
Top Bottom