Queen Margrethe's New Years Speeches 1972 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She sure does!

QMII is infamous for cracking the whip using expressions that are very much her own and which no prime minister would tell her to say, hardly even suggest.
On the other hand you can sometimes tell what she has been "suggested" to address. - In this case the climate.
She duly did, and no more than that...
The informal greeting at the end was not a suggestion from the PM's office, that I'm willing to bet all my shoes on.
The personal details in regards to her family are also her own.
But so very much are the quiet personal observations like people feeling lonely. Something she has addressed before.

The speech this year was a given thing: Corona, Corona and more Corona including remarks of sympathy about those who have suffered, lost their jobs and lost their business.
As well as thanking those in the forefront and expressing sympathy for relatives who lost loved ones.
This would all IMO have come as key words or key phrases from the PM's office and I doubt QMII nor those who help her with the speeches would disagree on that.
They merely merged it together, garnished with the characteristic QMII'ish phrases.

QMII's draft goes back to the PM's office, just in case she intends to say something that will embarrass the government (or the opposition) too much or go against the current or planned policy of the government.
But as this was QMII's 49th speech while in office, I doubt they have to correct anything very often, if ever.
- And QMII can decide to ignore the advise and suggestions from the PM's office if she really wants to, she is after all head of state, but that would be very controversial!

QMII's speeches are a reflective, thoughtful, sometimes chastising, sometimes commending review of the past year.
While the PM's speech the following day is a political review of the past year and not least a broad outlining of the political plans for the coming year.

- If you compare QMII's New Year speeches with those from state visits, you can very much tell the difference. The follow a template and a clear draft outlined by the Foreign Ministry. In contrast to the New Year speeches you can predict pretty accurately what she will say

Mange tak Muhler for your insightful comments on HM Queen Margrethe's New Year's address, which gives all your readers the opportunity to also wish you and TRF members a happy New Year.:flowers:

I noticed that the Queen addressed the Crown Prince Couple: Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. With their names.

I have never before heard the Queen address them other than: The Crown Prince and the Crown Princess.

And not at all in a new year speech. I think that was a little bit weird.

A record breaking 2.786.000 Danes watched QMII's New Year address. On flow-TV only that is!

The former record was in 2010, where 2.415.000 watched the address.

Considering that we are 6.8 million Danes, these are impressive numbers.

The Palace remember the last New Year's Speech before 50 Years from King Frederik:

"Tonight it is 50 years since Frederik IX gave his last New Year's speech. Just two weeks after New Year's Eve - January 14, 1972 - the King died, and thus the throne passed to Her Majesty the Queen."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYI-omUFdCF/

BB has a nice article about trivia in connection with QMII's New Year speech:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/11-ting-du-maaske-ikke-vidste-om-dronningens-nytaarstale

The speech has for most of the years been given in the reception room at Christian IX's Mansion at Amalienborg.
Not from her office.

The speech is always live and that started back in 1941.
You can watch it here in a little less than 8 hours from this is posted.
https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/20875

There is only one camera present, that during the speech slowly zooms in on QMII.
And in connection with the speech a photograph is taken.

There is only the cameraman present as well as another person from DR1, to signal QMII that it's 18.00 sharp.

The flowers on the table are selected to match the dress QMII will be wearing, but QMII is never informed about the flowers, so it's always a surprise for her.

There are always two Tupilaks on the table. They are Greenlandic and represent ancestral spirits. - That's two erect figures that looks like huge fangs.

The speech is written in co-operation with the PM's office, QMII, the Marshall of the Court and her Cabinet Secretary (Who is her chief legal and political advisor).
A draft with suggestions are send to the court. QMII with her advisors write her speech based on that. The final draft is send back to the PM's office, just in case it should conflict too much with the political line. (Like advocating that all cyclists should have their feet amputated.)

The New Year speech started as a speech in connection with the main toast back in the 1880s. But that was on 1st January in connection with the New Year Table for the government and similar top parliamentarians.
Later on the papers printed the New Year Speech.
And in 1941 it was for the first time broadcast on the wireless.

QMII always ends her speech with "God save Denmark." - In Danish it's "Gud bevare Denmark" which means God preserve Denmark.

Just prior to QMII giving her speech, the guards on duty line up outside the mansion, complete with the colour.
Standing guard on New Years Eve is very sought after and they are never short of volunteers. For guardsmen that is THE watch to be on.
It's also nerve-shattering! Because half the country, including many thousand former guardsmen are watching every move - and every mistake...
So the execution and turnout has to be 110 % perfect.
- And keep in mind that these are young people who were civilians 5-6 months ago.

But of course, being from the army, we can always rely on them doing things correct and in style. ;)

Thanks for that Muhler always informative. I watched the 9pm fireworks for the kids from the front of my house looking towards the football grounds. It is now 10pm New Years Eve.
Best Wishes to you and yours. Happy New Year.

The speech was a good one focusing on among other things the ongoing pandemic, on climate change and the scientific and technical advances to combat both. The Queen also spoke out against the discrimination of those disabled.
The final part of the speech was a personal one with her reflecting on her fifty years on the throne and as she lowered her voice slightly before declaring her love for her loved ones and her country I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn't help but feel that she consideres all Danes as being close to her.
It was not a great speech and won't be seen as one of her most poignant, but a very good one and together with last year's speech one of her most personal and moving ones.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/the-new-year’s-address-2022

Must be a very poignant night for the queen given the anniversary and the Golden Jubilee Year ahead.

I wonder why Queen Margrethe doesn't use a teleprompter. It is odd to read from notes in a televised speech.

:previous: It's the way she's always done it. Don't think it's any weirder than obviously reading from a prompter.

The Palace remember the last New Year's Speech before 50 Years from King Frederik:

"Tonight it is 50 years since Frederik IX gave his last New Year's speech. Just two weeks after New Year's Eve - January 14, 1972 - the King died, and thus the throne passed to Her Majesty the Queen."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYI-omUFdCF/

The glasses pull always gets me. He looks (extremely understandably) so sad, and just for a split second it seems the camera caught something honest that it wasn’t meant to.

Not her best speech, but not bad either. Warm and personal as we can expect from the tribe's grandmother.

Yes, the article suggest that mentioning of the well-executed evacuation of Kabul of Danish nationals and others who were affiliated with Denmark (Most of them at least) is planted in the speech by the PM's office.

Because while it is debatable how prepared the responsible ministers were, the execution itself of this hasty and very improvised operation, was nothing less than a brilliant feat of organization and use of foreign political contacts, by civil servants and military people.

ADDED: The paper BT is very much in opposition to the government, so sometimes things are interpreted in a somewhat biased way.

Last edited:
Buying a hybrid Bentley - that on top of that is much easier to get in and out of, makes good sense. Especially at her age.

The wagon is more of a problem. Because it has to pulled by a more powerful diesel engine and the railway net, at least for passenger transport in DK is being electrified. Nothing revolutionary in that, in fact we are behind in that respect to a lot of countries in Europe.
Electric trains drive at a moderate speed, which is sufficient for DK in regards of distances (max some 500 km) and considering the distance between stops, some five-ten minutes on average. What is important here is the frequency of trains running, not how much they can pull.
And a solid salon wagon is much heavier and less streamlined than a passenger-wagon, that is basically a steel container with seats.
Hence why it needs a more powerful locomotive.

But train enthusiasts, and there are lots of them, simply love the royal salon wagon. They also love the diesel engines, because there is more "train" over them than the motorized steel containers.
So as is evident with the online poll in the article, there is still a majority who support keeping the royal salon wagon.

The speech was a good one focusing on among other things the ongoing pandemic, on climate change and the scientific and technical advances to combat both. The Queen also spoke out against the discrimination of those disabled.
The final part of the speech was a personal one with her reflecting on her fifty years on the throne and as she lowered her voice slightly before declaring her love for her loved ones and her country I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn't help but feel that she consideres all Danes as being close to her.
It was not a great speech and won't be seen as one of her most poignant, but a very good one and together with last year's speech one of her most personal and moving ones.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/the-new-year’s-address-2022

Interestingly, it seems most of the European monarchs acknowledged the role of science and scientists in society in this year's Christmas and New Year's speeches, using the Covid-19 vaccines as an introduction. Climate change was also a common theme, which is understandable given COP26.

Interesting speech. I have been reading them for a few years now. I am glad she touched on the family situation, but not too deeply.

I also love her fashion during her New Years address. It’s much better than her engagements fashion.

Interesting speech. I have been reading them for a few years now. I am glad she touched on the family situation, but not too deeply.

I also love her fashion during her New Years address. It’s much better than her engagements fashion.

After just reading the Queen's New Year's Address, I must say that I was impressed with her direct wording and kindness on many subjects. She touched on so many and even slightly on this year's widely public family title debacle. In my mind she was implying is a quiet kind fashion that it is done. Period, I truly like this woman. May she have good health and happiness in the year 2023.

I too was impressed by her wonderful speech.
She covered just about everything!

I found this line to be most inspiring.

"When we help each other, we bring light to darkness. It is the least we can do."

Good health and happiness in 2023 to Queen Margrethe!!

Queen Margrethe II's first New Year's speech was in 1972:

Queen Margrethe's final New Year's Speech as reigning Queen, December 31, 2023:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom