Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday Celebrations: April 2020 {Cancelled}

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He also attended the 2001 wedding in Oslo.

And the 2002 Wedding of Willem-Alexander and Máxima in Amsterdam and the 1999 Wedding of Philippe and Mathilde.

They'll be there!King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima will be there together with Princess Beatrix on the 15th and 16th of april!

lucien, Yesterday I learned that King Willem Alexander would be at Queen Margrethe II's birthday celebrations. I also learned that Margrethe is the godmother of Willem Alexander.

lucien, Yesterday I learned that King Willem Alexander would be at Queen Margrethe II's birthday celebrations. I also learned that Margrethe is the godmother of Willem Alexander.

Yes, for the first time the King will not attend the King's Breakfast and the King's Games, held for his birthday (a mass event of elementary schools nationwide having a breakfast and sports games to celebrate the King's birthday, to promote social cohesion). That the King skips these - for him important and joyful- events shows the importance he attaches to attending in Copenhagen, in own person (he could have been represented by other members of his House).

Last edited:
I guess it will again only be the Monarch + Spouse and Heir + Spouse (and/or abdicated monarch + spouse) from the European Royal Families who is invited (except for the immediate family of QMII to wich the greek royal family ofcourse belongs) so i don’t expect the British Royal Family unless Charles and Camilla gives us a surprise and (finally) accepts the invitation.

Then the Wessex’es and the Gloucester’s will not be invited unless QMII invited Brigitte personally when they met in London 2 months ago...

I guess there will be 2 white tie occassions (on 14 and 15) and 1 black tie occassion (16) ?

I really hope Crown Princess Mette-Marit is well enough to attend. I don’t expect Charlene, and Albert seems to not be invited to the round birthday’s in Denmark so i don’t think we should expect him either.

Last edited:
Yes, for the first time the King will not attend the King's Breakfast and the King's Games, held for his birthday (a mass event of elementary schools nationwide having a breakfast and sports games to celebrate the King's birthday, to promote social cohesion). That the King skips these - for him important and joyful- events shows the importance he attaches to attending in Copenhagen, in own person (he could have been represented by other members of his House).

Nonetheless, I do wonder why they scheduled the King's Games a week ahead of his birthday instead of on Friday the 24th. I assume they expected festivities to take place around queen Margrethe's birthday (last time they went for such a festivity they took the train because of the eruption of a volcano on Iceland)...

Nonetheless, I do wonder why they scheduled the King's Games a week ahead of his birthday instead of on Friday the 24th. I assume they expected festivities to take place around queen Margrethe's birthday (last time they went for such a festivity they took the train because of the eruption of a volcano on Iceland)...

I agree. Initially the King's Breakfast and the King's Games (both major logistic operations) were always as close as possible to King's Day on April 27th (Willem-Alexander's birthday). It is not the King himself but the organization committee which sets this date, every year. But Queen Margrethe's birthday is special. I am happy we can see three major Dutch royals in Copenhagen.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/danske-rig...il-dronningen-de-skulle-gerne-holde-i-100-aar

Let us return to the chairs QMII (or rather M&F and Christian) is getting as a present for her birthday.
They are donated by a number of foundations and behind those foundations are a number of wealthy businessmen who all have a close affiliation with the DRF in one way or another.

The price for the chairs is not and will not be disclosed but the carpenter who makes the chairs, have other chairs in the price range from 5.000-30.000 DKK (roughly from 900-5.000 $) a piece. To that comes the price for adorning them with leaf-gold.
The master carpenter, Søren Holst Petersen, says:
"It has been a fantastically good a long process with a fruitful co-operation with the Queen and the Crown Prince. The Crown Prince has been out here several times and then we have have been inside and present the chairs to the Queen.
The first times where I will sit and watch them being used on TV, I will be slightly nervous to see whether they really can take it" he laughs.
"It's furnitures that are made to last for a hundred years."

The chairs will be used for the first time on QMII's birthday.

- The DRF has their own carpenter-shop at Amalienborg, where furnitures and other antique items of wood are being repaired.

The white colour of the new chairs is not very much to my personal liking and I fear for visible damages as these chairs are often stapled, stored, transported, unstapled and - of course - used in different rooms or different venues. To my eye these white chairs seem prone to damages, especially the curly points.

But, having said that: I like it that the 80th birthday gift is no fancy speedboat but a lasting contribution to proper and dignified workings of the Household: guests in Denmark will not have to seat on rented event chairs but on proper handcrafted representative furniture.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The chairs are grey.

"The new table chair has a special emphasis on robustness, so the chair can last longer than its predecessor. At the same time, the chairs are made in a gray color and with a shape that makes it easier to store the chairs at the castle."

H.M. Dronningen og H.K.H. Kronprinsen fik præsenteret ny taffelstol | Kongehuset

Interesting. It must be the lighting then: I see white chairs, with a golden crown in the backrest and red upholstery on the seat. But okay, it is "grey" so it seems.

The chairs are grey.

"The new table chair has a special emphasis on robustness, so the chair can last longer than its predecessor. At the same time, the chairs are made in a gray color and with a shape that makes it easier to store the chairs at the castle."

http://kongehuset.dk/foto-video/hm-dronningen-og-hkh-kronprinsen-fik-praesenteret-ny-taffelstol
Interesting. It must be the lighting then: I see white chairs, with a golden crown in the backrest and red upholstery on the seat. But okay, it is "grey" so it seems.
Looks like the kind of grey colour that's quite common in Scandinavian interior decorating and hark backs to the Scandinavian adaption of the styles of the 18th century. The design of the chairs are likewise a modern twist of that style mixed with Danish 20th century design. These chairs would look familiar to every Scandinavian who sees them.
8/10 from Malmö.

I love good practical useful gifts. These are a lovely idea.

Oh it is grey.

Dove-grey is the name of the hue according to my wife.

I applaud anything which maintains or even improves the dignity and the functioning of the monarchy. Having your guests seated on proper and esthetically pleasing seats which enhance the decorum of the venue as well the event is always thumbs up from me. Well done, Denmark.

From Dutch media I understood Queen Margrethe will keep the red velvet chairs in use for the main table: picture.

I applaud anything which maintains or even improves the dignity and the functioning of the monarchy. Having your guests seated on proper and esthetically pleasing seats which enhance the decorum of the venue as well the event is always thumbs up from me. Well done, Denmark.

From Dutch media I understood Queen Margrethe will keep the red velvet chairs in use for the main table: picture.

She will indeed. The old "gold-chairs" will still be in use. Perhaps at the main-table?
But the new chairs will be a supplement. However I imagine that quite a few of the old "gold-chairs" have been discarded over the years. And mixing gold-chairs and these new ones isn't aesthetically pleasing IMO.
Or alternatively, the old gold-chairs will now be reserved for use only at Amalienborg, while the new ones will only be used for the really big events at Christiansborg.

She will indeed. The old "gold-chairs" will still be in use. Perhaps at the main-table?
But the new chairs will be a supplement. However I imagine that quite a few of the old "gold-chairs" have been discarded over the years. And mixing gold-chairs and these new ones isn't aesthetically pleasing IMO.
Or alternatively, the old gold-chairs will now be reserved for use only at Amalienborg, while the new ones will only be used for the really big events at Christiansborg.

During State Banquets one can see the "gold chairs" (which maybe need gilding with fresh new shiny gold) at the main table and usually "hotel rent-a-chair"-type of chairs for the lesser gods.

Only red chairs at the main table: picture

Red chairs at all tables: picture

I guess it are these "hotel" chairs which will be replaced by the new ones.

From the link I previously posted:

"Most of the golden chairs from Christiansborg Palace will be distributed between Fredensborg Palace and Amalienborg."

History of the golden chairs and photos, in Danish:

Guldstolenes historie | Kongehuset

Wonderful rococo room. Where is that?

Christian VII Palace, Amalienborg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it will again only be the Monarch + Spouse and Heir + Spouse (and/or abdicated monarch + spouse) from the European Royal Families who is invited (except for the immediate family of QMII to wich the greek royal family ofcourse belongs) so i don’t expect the British Royal Family unless Charles and Camilla gives us a surprise and (finally) accepts the invitation.

Then the Wessex’es and the Gloucester’s will not be invited unless QMII invited Brigitte personally when they met in London 2 months ago...

I guess there will be 2 white tie occassions (on 14 and 15) and 1 black tie occassion (16) ?

I really hope Crown Princess Mette-Marit is well enough to attend. I don’t expect Charlene, and Albert seems to not be invited to the round birthday’s in Denmark so i don’t think we should expect him either.
I guess it will be more like five years ago. The Christiansborg Banquet with only Heads of State and Consorts/First Ladies. For the private dinner at Fredensborg Palace heirs and and other princes and princesses will attend.

But I hope I'm wrong and at least Heirs attend the 15th as well.

I guess it will be more like five years ago. The Christiansborg Banquet with only Heads of State and Consorts/First Ladies. For the private dinner at Fredensborg Palace heirs and and other princes and princesses will attend.

But I hope I'm wrong and at least Heirs attend the 15th as well.

As the program seems to be a lot like it was during the 70:th Birthday, with a gala performance at the Royal Theatre on the 14:th, i think we will at least see Victoria and Daniel, and Haakon and Mette-Marit (if she is well enough) present too. Prince Carl Philip attended 10 years ago too.

Hopefully the Icelandic volcano’s will be sleeping this time ;)

Last edited:
As the program seems to be a lot like it was during the 70:th Birthday, with a gala performance at the Royal Theatre on the 14:th, i think we will at least see Victoria and Daniel, and Haakon and Mette-Marit (if she is well enough) present too. Prince Carl Philip attended 10 years ago too.

Hopefully the Icelandic volcano’s will be sleeping this time ;)

But 10 years ago the Dioner at Chirstiansborg was only Family and danish guests as it was erarlier and the Gala Perfomance in the Royal theatre took place the evening before the actual birthday.

I have my doubts that many of the Royal Guests this year will attend all 3 Events.

But 10 years ago the Dioner at Chirstiansborg was only Family and danish guests as it was erarlier and the Gala Perfomance in the Royal theatre took place the evening before the actual birthday.

I have my doubts that many of the Royal Guests this year will attend all 3 Events.

From what I understood from the Benelux:

Wednesday 15 April - diner at Chirstiansborg Palace
Belgium: King Philippe and Queen Mathilde
Netherlands: King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima
Luxembourg: ?

Thursday 16 April - diner at Fredensborg Palace
Belgium: none*
The Netherlands: King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix
Luxembourg: ?

* reason for the non-attendance on day two: King Philippe himself will become 60 at April 15th. After the first evening at Chirstiansborg, the Belgians will return to Brussels to celebrate the King's birthday with family, and one day of delay.

Why Princess Beatrix will only attend the second diner at Fredensborg? Probably because the first evening has another type of guest list? ("Guests of State" on evening 1 and "Family and Friends" on evening 2?).

Last edited:
Probably because the first evening has another type of guest list? ("Guests of State" on evening 1 and "Family and Friends" on evening 2?).

In 2010 lots of friends where in attendance at the Royal Theatre Perfomance. Therfore i wonder why they do not have this one again oin the evening before the actual birthday as there is much miore space so more guests ca be invtied then to the Gala Dinner.

"In the Northern Irish city of Banbridge, the Thomas Ferguson Irish Linen factory is weaving new linen cloths for Her Majesty the Queen.

The new tablecloths must be placed on the tables for the first time on the occasion of the Queen's 80th birthday until April, and then the tablecloths must be used both in everyday life and at large events. The Queen's monogram is part of the pattern, and the tablecloths are expected to last a generation."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B853GeOgAkf/

Why Princess Beatrix will only attend the second diner at Fredensborg? Probably because the first evening has another type of guest list? ("Guests of State" on evening 1 and "Family and Friends" on evening 2?).
The first dinner is for the official Denmark and official representatives of other countries, and the second is called a "private dinner".
So, Princess Beatrix will attend the birthday as a private and probably personally invited guest of the Queen, but not as an official representative of the Netherlands.

Last edited:
The first dinner is for the official Denmark and official representatives of other countries, and the second is called a "private dinner".
So, Princess Beatrix will attend as a private and probably personally invited guest of the Queen, but not as an official representative of the Netherlands.

Yes, that will be the reason. Princess Beatrix officially is a "private person" indeed (but usually treated with all égards she is used to).

"In the Northern Irish city of Banbridge, the Thomas Ferguson Irish Linen factory is weaving new linen cloths for Her Majesty the Queen.

The new tablecloths must be placed on the tables for the first time on the occasion of the Queen's 80th birthday until April, and then the tablecloths must be used both in everyday life and at large events. The Queen's monogram is part of the pattern, and the tablecloths are expected to last a generation."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B853GeOgAkf/

Very elegant!

I wonder if the Corona situation will influence the birthday celebrations.

Judging from how it has progressed in China and South Korea, we may expect a dramatic rise in Corona cases all over Europe throughout March and no doubt at least well into April, until the weather turns hot, if it does turn hot. So far we've had the warmest winter in recorded met-history and the second wettest here in DK.
Because hot weather should help decrease the number of Corona cases. (I understand the virus has problems in temperatures over 26 degrees C.)

So, I don't think we should be surprised if a number of royals cancel their attendance to QMII's B-day celebrations. For a number of reasons:
A) The situation in their countries may be so severe that it will be seen as inappropriate to attend full scale gala events, also abroad.
B) A number of the royals attending are elderly and as such particularly vulnerable should they contract Corona. QMII herself, her sisters, King Konstantin, the Norwegian Regent Couple - to mention some.
C) It may not be seen as advisable to have a number of heads of states gathered in one place, where potentially many of them could catch the bug at the same time.
D) The situation may be serious enough here in DK by mid-April that the health authorities will caution against large gatherings, also in front of Amalienborg and along procession routes.
And it is after all not only the royals who are at risk, but also the staff, security and police officers and all the multitude of others who work behind the scenes.
E) Quite a few of the royals may be quarantined themselves, because they as a part of their job meet a lot of people and as such are exposed.

Back
Top Bottom