Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday Celebrations: April 2020 {Cancelled}

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's too bad the princes of Monaco and Liechtenstein and someone from the UK didn't appear in the video.

The congratulations video is also at court Youtube - Victoria has her Daisy brooch at her coat.
The swedish royal court posted photos to its Instagram
Today, Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark celebrates her 80th birthday.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Here are a number of pictures from the Queen's visit to and from her Swedish family.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first picture shows the Queen on her first state visit to Sweden in 1973. The Queen's grandfather, King Gustaf VI Adolf, gives speeches at the Gala dinner at the Royal Palace. Next to the Queen sits then Crown Prince Carl Gustaf, Queen's cousin.⠀⠀⠀
In the second picture, the Queen and King visit Carolina Rediviva Uppsala in connection with the state visit in 1985.
The third photo was taken in connection with the Swedish state visit to Denmark in 2007. The photograph is from the royal couple's return dinner at Malmö town hall for the Danish royal family.
The last picture shows Queen Margrethe at Lejonbacken outside the Royal Palace in connection with the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel's wedding in 2010.
The Royal Couple, Crown Princess Couple and Prince Carl Philip, who is the Queen's godson, have all sent digital greetings to Her Majesty. Share the greetings at @detdanskekongehus IGTV.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_C3F0vAQ0B/

And bigger versions of the photos at court's Facebook
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d494df08d29cc776906d0eb919c09a63&oe=5EBDDB09
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d19f3cda63eecb48eaaa20fd40435530&oe=5EBD2785
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c4fd95800451b3da2f618af2d444d953&oe=5EBC2DB8
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e6ffe96107d72343f8a6948ca583d2fb&oe=5EBE770C

Last edited:
Aunt Daisy loving that,what a wonderful tribute from most of the reigning houses .

Fair to guess most the royals in the video are those who would have attended the birthday celebrations had they not been cancelled?

Monarchs and princes from Sweden, Norway, Spain, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands congratulate Queen Margrethe II on her 80th birthday.

Video at this link:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_CoosLgSex/?igshid=xv0ui94e5p9d

I love the monarchies!

Happy Birthday HM Queen Margrethe II! :daneflag:

So wonderful!

As a very special surprise, the Queen was this morning celebrated at a distance by representatives of the Ladies and Gentlemen of the Hope, which, among other things, consists of the Hoff's top officials. From the Fredensborg Palace Garden, the Assembly made a nine-fold living for the Majesty who attended the event from the Garden Hall.⁣ ⁣

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_C9TdlgL1U/

At 12 noon today, Danes around the country sang a hymn to Her Majesty the Queen on the occasion of her 80th birthday.

Last edited:
Fair to guess most the royals in the video are those who would have attended the birthday celebrations had they not been cancelled?

Yes, King Willem-Alexander and Prince Carl Philip are her godsons, they would undoubtedly have been there.

The Swedes are related to the Danes via Queen Margrethe's mother, born a Princess of Sweden.

The same counts for King Philippe and Grand-Duke Henri, their shared grandmother Queen Astrid was the daughter of a Swedish prince and a Danish princess.

The mother of King Felipe is a Princess of Greece and Denmark, from the same Royal House as Denmark.

The same counts for the Norwegians, they are from the same Royal House as Denmark and the King's mother was a sister to the grandmother of King Philippe and Grand-Duke Henri.

All of them for sure would have been there. And most likely also former Queen Beatrix, King Albert, Queen Paola, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofía, their health permitting of course.

Last edited:
I get the impressions those who didn't sent messages likely wouldn't have been at the celebrations so maybe they just got in touch with those Royal Houses who's senior royals were due to attend and asked if they would like to send a message. Lovely that this big birthday hasn't go unrecognised even if its not in the way expected. I saw the programme where the Queen was watching the public sing to her and she seemed to me rather touched by it.

Yes, King Willem-Alexander and Prince Carl Philip are her godsons, they would undoubtedly have been there.

(…)

All of them for sure would have been there. And most likely also former Queen Beatrix, King Albert, Queen Paola, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofía, their health permitting of course.

I am sure princess Beatrix would have joined her son and daughter-in-law on the trip to Denmark. I don't think they would have asked Margrethe as godmother for their eldest son if they didn't have a special relationship.

Queen Sofía surely would also have made the trip; as you said, Sofia's brother is married to Margrethe's sister.

I am not so sure about king Albert and queen Paola; they seem to 'lay low' these days/years.

And I'm pretty confident king Juan Carlos would have skipped; as he has hardly attended any royal gatherings in the last many years.

What a lovely video from the royal houses
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...day-video-call.html?__twitter_impression=true

Maxima and WA with glasses on hand. Victoria and family with the Danish flags as well. Even from afar the Danes know how to celebrate.
You can feel the love for the Queen from all over Denamrk.

What a cute message from the grandkids, the CP little mix up with the letters was funny and cute.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/04/16/16/27273782-8226169-image-a-48_1587050138362.jpg
Isabella is wearing Mary's blouse . Felix looks very much like a young Joachim
https://smooth-storage.aptoma.no/us...9130c5383eb948ae7ca0bc89518689a749bf32a243896

I read in one of the articles that there will be a small dinner with the Queen, Frederik and Mary, and Joachim and Marie.
Sweet

And the Queen goes live to thank everyone. What a lovely speech to read
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVvaA-zWsAYKCFH?format=jpg&name=large

Frederik and Mary and Joachim and Marie arriving for a dinner with the Queen

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...achim-og-marie-ankomme-til-foedselsdagsmiddag

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much Muhler and other Danish members for the running commentary on this wonderful distraction from the daily Corona Crises! I am watching the live links to DR television and have just watched what must be the worlds largest cigarette trademarked with Queen Margarethe's crown and lipstick! I would love a Danish speaker to explain what the young man who created this marvelous item plans to do with it! Mange tak!

Loved the videos from the royals! I found it very moving. I wonder do they all call her Aunt Daisy at events where they meet?

Thank you so much Muhler and other Danish members for the running commentary on this wonderful distraction from the daily Corona Crises! I am watching the live links to DR television and have just watched what must be the worlds largest cigarette trademarked with Queen Margarethe's crown and lipstick! I would love a Danish speaker to explain what the young man who created this marvelous item plans to do with it! Mange tak!

Presumably he plans to eat it.

It's a cake he made in her honor. - Yum, yum.

There will be a summary later this evening and I will provide a link, you can watch later. - Otherwise just stay on the live-channel until 21.25 DK time.

Loved the videos from the royals! I found it very moving. I wonder do they all call her Aunt Daisy at events where they meet?

They do. Daisy or aunt Daisy.
And of course farmor by the grandchildren.

There will be a 30 minutes summary of todays events here: https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/20875

Starting in 12 minutes.

I will add a permanent link later.

On the other hand I don't think I will add a permanent link, the summary is crap.

Even in very different circumstances this year compared to other years the queen managed to have a semi public birthday with lots of wonderful well wishers from near and far.

The queen's live address tonight.

Interesting, is it permissible in Denmark now for the sons and their wives to come for dinner?

Interesting, is it permissible in Denmark now for the sons and their wives to come for dinner?
There are no curfews in Denmark. People are strongly advised to stay at home and to maintain social distancing but there are no bans against visiting each other. The country is about to slowly open up closed businesses starting with daycare institutions. That said I doubt that the dinner would have taken place if it was during the first weeks of the lockdown.

BT has compiled twelve quotes by QMII: https://www.bt.dk/underholdning/mar...12-af-de-bedste-citater-fra-danmarks-dronning

I will translate some of the funniest, we need a little chuckle.

"All stains haunt me. They still do, but not a single stain dare get near Benedikte. They just don't, they stay away."

"Mini-skirts aren't impossible, but many legs are."

"You wouldn't die from my cooking, but I'm not sure you'd survive my driving."

"Everybody sometimes wish to be a fly on the wall. On condition that no one comes along and smack you."

Does she feel a part of the people?
"No, that would be too pretentious."

- And I'll add a few from memory:

Are the future daughters-in-law to be blue-blooded?
"We have no intention of asking for a blood-sample."

How about her problems with smoking?
"I - don't have a problem with smoking."

Comment to a man who told her how he almost hit a shark when racing in his sailing boat.
"Do you get points for hitting such a thing?"

The designer Jim Lyngvild, who is also a super-royalist is here shown with his presents for QMII, two busts of Frederik and Mary:
https://ekstrabladet.dk/incoming/j6kxce/8091714/IMAGE_ALTERNATES/p730/dcx-79255151-20200416112158

Here also made one of QMII, here with M&F https://ekstrabladet.dk/incoming/y0i77x/8091715/IMAGE_ALTERNATES/p730/dcx-79255153-20200416112159

The three busts together look cool.
Thank you Muhler for all the translations. The quotes are golden.

It's been a joy to follow the birthday. very different but you feel the warmth from the family, foreign royal families and more importantly from the Danes.
That the Queen gave a speech and followed along was wonderful.

Why didn’t the British Royal Family send a message? They never seem to mingle with other European Royals.

Probably because this is not something that Queen Elizabeth is comfortable doing? Although she could have done something similar to Philippe and Mathilde who also didn't fully participate but were still included.

BT has compiled twelve quotes by QMII:

"You wouldn't die from my cooking, but I'm not sure you'd survive my driving."

Are the future daughters-in-law to be blue-blooded?
"We have no intention of asking for a blood-sample."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Those two are my favourite!!!!!!

I really loved the video of her contempories offering their well wishes. I also love her witty quotes. Thank you for sharing.

I think this birthday will stand out for her as it is so different from the usual celebrations and just as much warmth from the people who love her.

I think she is tremendous, and I have been following her since Mary married Frederik. I think the Danes are lucky to have her and I believe they have found the right combination between having a monarchy who serve the people as opposed to any Republican model.

I find her observation about stains hilarious and can really relate. When we were younger my sister and I had the same problem. Di was impeccably dressed without a speck of lint and I invariably dripped my spoon just before we were to go somewhere. Now messing up your ensemble is stressful, but standing next to a spotless sister at the same time makes you want to tear your hair out and yell "why me?" :frazzled:

IIRC, then she did see "The Copenhagen Ring" (Made by Kasper Holten) i four nights. But I could be remembering wrong :flowers:

I see it were three complete Ring cycles in one year (2003) by Den Kongelige Opera. Not four nights in a row, but still hard work and a Wagnerian endurance required for both musicians and public (including the Queen).

Last edited:
More trivia about QMII, based on this list published on the DRF webpage, so I guess that's as confirmed as it can possibly be.
http://kongehuset.dk/nyheder/80-fak...eIb-kPb1vpTdMtLaq-LNHUWdzCwMJo2FJUP4rCXsg9VJM

She was born on a windy spring day at 10.10 with the temperatures between 2.1-7.8 degrees C.
23 minutes later the birth was announced by cable.

She weighed 3.300 grams.

Normally such a birth is celebrated with a 21 gun salute, but since DK had been occupied a few days before that wasn't possible.

QMII was until 1944 also Princess of Iceland, but Iceland declared it's independence in 1944.

The first time QMII went to the theater was shortly after the war. The the national Elverhøj = Mound of the Eleves. And that started her lifelong love for the theater.

QMII danced ballet once a week for more than 40 years. (In order to stay fit.) But no longer.

One of QMII's favorite childrens books is about Winnie the Poo = Peter Plys in DK.

She got her first Greenlandic national suit at age twelve.

She loved spending time at Trend as a child.

She became a member of Danish Ornithological society at age 13 and today still has a keen interest in birds.

She went on a skiing holiday to Norway for the first time in 1954.

At age fourteen, she saw for the first time the play Hamlet at Kronborg.

She was confirmed at Fredensborg palace church on 1st April 1955.

She went to boarding school in England from 1955-56.

She attended her first New Year Courts in 1956.

In the late 50's she went on archeological holidays to Italy with her morfar, King Gustav VI Adolf.

She visited the Faeroe Islands for the first time in 1959.

She also graduated as a high school student in 1959.

She visited Greenland for the first time in 1960.

Studied Philosophy at Copenhagen University in 1960.
Archeology at University of Cambridge 1960-61.
Political science at first Aarhus University in 61-62, At Sorbonne in 1963 and at London School of Economics in 1965.

Met Elvis Presley in Hollywood in 1960. (She was less than impressed.)

When Neil Armstrong took one giant leap in 1969, QMII watched it on TV, with a newborn Joachim in her arms.

The name of the Regent Couple's first dog was Souris. The name of the present dog is Tillia. Souris lived for nine years from 1970.
Altogether they had sixteen dogs.

QMII was an active WAC Women's Auxiliary Corps attached to the airforce (Now a part of the Home Guard) from 1958-70, finishing at the rank of major.

She became Allied Colonel-in-Chief in the Queen's Regiment in 1972. Later amalgamated into the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment.
in 1997 she became Colonel-in-Chief in The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.

She speaks five languages: Danish, English, French, Swedish and German. (And of course understand a lot of several other languages.)

She read the Lord of the Ring for the first time when she was 30. She read the story aloud to her sons and made illustrations for their room.
Some illustrations were used in at least one edition of the Lord of the Rings, around the time she became Queen.
She used the alias of Ingahild Grathmer.

QMII has been involved in eight ballet performances in Tivoli.

During her reign there have been nine prime ministers and 24 governments.

She has attended 547 State Councils.

QMII is the 21st Danish monarch from the Oldenborg line.

Château de Cayx was bought in 1974.

She has eleven Danish and 50 foreign decorations, apart from 15 honorary titles like Honorary Fellow at London School of Arts and a honorary doctorate at University of Oxford.

During her reign she has presented the Order of the Elephant 78 times.

She goes Christmas shopping in London each December.

She has been on cruises aboard Danneborg 48 times, 44 of which with PH.

She has had 54 outgoing and 58 incoming state visits.

She has 74 Danish protections and nine foreign.

Has done decoupage since the early 1990's.

Did the first exhibitions of her artwork back in 1988.

She has a deep interest in the Viking Age. She did illustrations for a book about Ragnar Lodbrock - Regnar Lodbrog in DK.

Around Easter she paints Easter eggs, that are used for decoration at Marselisborg. (The tradition about finding eggs is not widespread in DK.)

On Christmas Eve, after the family has been to church, QMII gathers the members of her staff who are on duty and reads the Christmas Gospel (Juleevangeliet in DK) before presenting them with Christmas presents.

QMII does a courtesy once a year, at the Grand New Year Court on 1st January. A tradition Queen Ingrid brought with her from Sweden.

She has given 48 New Year speeches.

Her reign has only been surpassed by King Christian IV, who reigned for 60 years.
As such she is longest reigning monarch in EU after Brexit.

At age 80, QMII is only the second Danish monarch to reach that age, the oldest was Christian IX who turned 88.

During her reign QMII has always thanked the guardsmen standing guard at the palaces. (The watch parade.) She has only had to skip twice. Once due to flu and the second due to Corona.

Thursday is her day off. I.e. her diary is kept blank and she devotes herself to various creative activities.

I wonder whether all the royals also created a short video to congratulate grand duke Henri for his 65th birthday (same day) or king Philippe for his 60th birthday (one day earlier). Shouldn't be to hard to tape all three one after the other.

More trivia about QMII, based on this list published on the DRF webpage, so I guess that's as confirmed as it can possibly be.

She was confirmed at Fredensborg palace church on 1st April 1955.

She attended her first New Year Courts in 1956.
That's rather young to start attending New Year Courts (she was only 15 years old). Should we expect Christian also to start attending the New Year Courts once he is confirmed/the coming year?

Studied Philosophy at Copenhagen University in 1960.
Archeology at University of Cambridge 1960-61.
Political science at first Aarhus University in 61-62, At Sorbonne in 1963 and at London School of Economics in 1965.
Did she graduate in any of these or was that not the purpose of university studies in her case?

That's rather young to start attending New Year Courts (she was only 15 years old). Should we expect Christian also to start attending the New Year Courts once he is confirmed/the coming year?

Did she graduate in any of these or was that not the purpose of university studies in her case?

AFAIK she did not graduate. Presumably because she was not supposed to use her education in a professional capacity.

If Christian would like to attend at that age, then perhaps, otherwise it will be at age eighteen.

Back
Top Bottom