Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday Celebrations: April 2020 {Cancelled}

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Interesting thought Muhler - I hadn't thought about Coronavirus affecting royal situations but since it's affecting sports matches and other international events, it's more than likely that sadly Margrethe's birthday celebrations will be affected in some sort of way. IIRC; two new cases of the virus have been confirmed in Denmark, with 127 people also being in home quarantine and the Health Authority has estimated that 500,000 Danes could catch the illness if worse came to worse. So the court have domestic cases of Corona to think of as well as guests travelling from/through countries with a high number of cases.

:previous:
In Sweden at least one royal event has been cancelled due to the fear of Corona.

Well, I'm basically waiting for the DRF to announce that the celebrations will be postponed until next year.

I very much doubt that the virus will be under control within a month here in DK. Slowed down perhaps, but not under control.

Most of the celebrations will go against the advise of the authorities, which advocate no gatherings over 1.000 persons. To avoid too much physical contact with strangers when possible and so on.

And most importantly: While we have so far had no deaths here in DK, it is only a matter of time. And I simply cannot see the DRF hosting a series of semi-public gala celebrations while Danes are dying from a virus. That would be so much in poor taste.

But time is running out for a cancellation. They can't cancel two days before, (that would impractical and expensive) so within the next week or so, I expect an announcement saying that QMII will be celebrated privately this year, and publicly next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be expected.

The message from QMII reads:

Denmark and the world-community is right now facing a difficult situation. We all have a particular responsibility to be considerate to each other and together contribute to Denmark coming though the many big challenges the country is facing, in good shape. I therefore appeal that we all follow the directions of the government and the authorities and look out for each other.

I would like to direct a deep thank you to the Danish healthcare staffs, institutions, businesses and individuals who exercise a lot of decisiveness and care for the Danish population so that we can together go through this difficult time.

Margrethe

Last edited:
To be expected.

The message from QMII reads:

Denmark and the world-community is right now facing a difficult situation. We all have a particular responsibility to be considerate to each other and together contribute to Denmark coming though the many big challenges the country is facing, in good shape. I therefore appeal that we all follow the directions of the government and the authorities and look out for each other.

I would like to direct a deep thank you to the Danish healthcare staffs, institutions, businesses and individuals who exercise a lot of decisiveness and care for the Danish population so that we can together go through this difficult time.

Margrethe

A wise decision. But do lets hope Danish scientists and their colleagues around the world find a better way of dealing with this virus than staying home in bed and reading (which I don't mind, but with the nice weather coming...:lol:)

Its too bad but the one decision to take. Life in Europe will come to a complete standstill in the next weeks.

Margarethe isn’t very lucky with big milestone celebrations. Her 70th also had disruption due to the volcano ash. I’m sure he will find a nice way to celebrate privately.

It was to be expected but Margarethe II made the right decision given the crisis in Europe.

I had been looking forward to the birthday festivities for a long time. The Danish RF is so good at such celebrations! And I love to see the Greek and Berleburg royals as well as the Rosenborg countesses with their tiaras.

But alas, this was an unavoidable decision. In the current situation there was no other possible solution, given how serious the situation is.

It was to be expected but Margarethe II made the right decision given the crisis in Europe.
I think if they would have decided otherwise, many invited would have excused themselves and would not have come. And remember the carriage procession where thousends of people line the route, standing closely together, rubbing shoulders...
So, yes, there was no other option.

More than 165.000 Danes ( so far) are reporting that they are ready to sing to celebrate the Queen from their homes

So, what can we expect? A nationwide "balcony and window flashmob"? Everybody sings this or that song at a certain time?

The birthday song and perhaps the national anthem, alternatively the royal anthem at noon on the 16th is my best guess.

That's when the balcony scene would have taken place anyway.

The birthday song and perhaps the national anthem, alternatively the royal anthem at noon on the 16th is my best guess.

That's when the balcony scene would have taken place anyway.

Is the Queen is at Amalienborg she could even come out on her balcony if she remains there alone.

Is the Queen is at Amalienborg she could even come out on her balcony if she remains there alone.

She is at Fredensborg. But I doubt she would step out on the terrace there and wave to the trees in the park on live TV. I guess we will see some other appearance by QMII.

The three photos in high res (they can be downloaded and used freely for use on sites like this.)

I see they were taken on 19th December last year.

https://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/files/_r9a0564_020320_copy_0.jpg
https://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/files/_r9a0643_040320_copy_0.jpg
https://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/files/_r9a0716_020320_copy_1.jpg

I especially like the photo where QMII has put her hands on their shoulders. That's a warm photo of a proud QMII.

I also notice that antique chairs and long legs can be conflicting.

The conservative newspaper Berlingske has published a survey by Kvante Gallup:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/ny-undersoegelse-saa-populaer-er-dronningen
https://www.berlingske.dk/aok/dansk...ik-det-er-kun-hvis-han-goer-noget-dumt-at-det

84 % appreciate the DRF/monarchy.
59 % believe QMII is worth her apanage.
90 % find it positive that QMII addressed her people in regards to Corona.
88 % found her message convincing.
82 % believe M&F are ready to take over.
54 % do not think QMII should abdicate this year. Last year 41 % said QMII ought to have abdicated this year, 40% were against her abdicating.

The survey took place from 30th March to 1st April.

BTW. More photos like the ones published today will be published tomorrow and on QMII's birthday as well, So keep an eye out, newsdiggers. ?

Lovely photos, Mang tak. Young Prince Christian growing up fast. Hands in his pockets just like his dad. Lovely colour on the Queen, she wears it well. Her Majesty is looking much shorter than Frederik for the first time that I have noticed.
It is hard to pose for a formal photo and Frederik looks a bit stiff, whereas Christian looks more relaxed.

Does the drop in number for her abdication reflect the realisation that she is as sharp as a tack and has a stabilising and morale boosting effect following her Covid-19 Speech to the Nation?

Does the drop in number for her abdication reflect the realisation that she is as sharp as a tack and has a stabilising and morale boosting effect following her Covid-19 Speech to the Nation?
Last year was also the year that the queen lost her husband, so my guess would be that the higher numbers last year had to do with her recent widowhood; by now, the Danes are a bit more used to that idea.

Last edited:
Last year was also the year that the queen lost her husband, so my guess would be that the higher numbers last year had to do with her recent widowhood; by now, the Danes are a bit more used to that idea.

He died already 2 years ago in 2018 and even before that he had already retired.

He died already 2 years ago in 2018 and even before that he had already retired.

My bad. Has it already been 2 years?

Nonetheless, him being retired in my mind would be a reason for people to be 'pro-abdication' for Margrethe not against it.

Muhler;2307726 I especially like the photo where QMII has put her hands on their shoulders. That's a warm photo of a proud QMII. I also notice that antique chairs and long legs can be conflicting.[/QUOTE said:
I agree. That one was my favorite too. A wonderful Queen. But also a proud mother and grandmother.

Article on the photos
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/se...ingen-hun-er-en-helt-fantastisk-flot-80-aarig

The last photo of the 3 together was 2006 maybe?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/12/b7/2a12b79da23073aeca9e7da38ccfedcc.jpg
Christian has grown ��

Lovely pictures.

It looks to me that Christian's eyes are grey-ish in the photos. Or is it just me?

I love the new pictures of Queen Margrethe II with Prince Frederik and Prince Christian.
The Queen seems to be very happy in the pictures. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom