Queen Margrethe's 75th Birthday Celebrations: April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hope Beatrix comes alongside WA and Máxima, she and QMII are good friends so I think it would be nice for them both if she came along. I wonder if any Belgian royals will be there (am not going to lie, I still feel moderately snubbed by them not paying us an introductory visit)?

TV2 has just shown the portrait I wrote a summary of above and it was brilliant!
It gave a very good picture of the person Margrethe who also happens very much to be Queen.
A Queen who has a girlish side and a good sense of humor, especially when dealing with people she works with in connection with art projects and that in a formal and yet informal way at the same time.

I haven't got time to go into details, but for those who know about and are interested in QMII this portrait is a must and I hope it will be aired in English at some point.
For those who don't know about QMII this isn't the best start though.

What I like most about such portraits are the behind the scenes footage including the occasional goof and in this case also QMII's quiet banter with the camera crew.

There were a couple of details I noticed: During a visit to Greenland with M&F the Regent Couple left a kaffemik when QMII called PH, "Ups. We didn't bring Mary and Frederik with us". - "What's keeping them"? - "Dunno, ain't my fault". :lol:

And during the visit QMII had in Eastern Greenland with Frederik, where they trekked on dog sledges and lived in a small cabin on the ice. (Pit stops used by the Sirius Patrol). Here Frederik nursed a cut to his arm, presumably a dog bite, that happens. Later on Frederik sported some three or four stitches, something neither QMII, nor her LiW, nor Frederik paid much attention.

:previous: You are welcome Polyesco & Muriel. :)

its good to hear that it was well done
It would be nice if it were placed online and/or in English. Just love seeing the backstage footage.

thanks for the little summary:flowers:

I hope we get a little video interview during the Concert like how Henrik did with Isabella

You are welcome, Polyesco :)

On the occasion of QMII's birthday, BT has compiled a gallery with flowergirls: Se de skønne billeder: Blomsterpiger, damer og drenge møder Dronningen | www.bt.dk

#1: The flowergirl did not see any reason why she should give up her flowers!

#12: Now there's a professional curtsey.

#18: Here the flowergirl and flowerboy (hm, sounds odd...) are dressed in Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age attire. The girl's hairstyle, albeit modern, may actually be authentic as the Germanic tribes (the Danish tribes, Jutes, Angles, Danes and Cimbrians being among the Germanic tribes) were known for they vain hairstyles with lots of braids and knots, both for men and women.

Last edited:
Muhler: Thank you, as always, for the side notes; so interesting. And that little adorable person who was holding on to her flowers looked like she could be a member of our family. So amusing.

Possible. The last time she attended with JC when they were the reigning couple.
The Queen usually attended these events (weddings, birthdays, jubilees...) without JC. On Margrethe's 70th birthday Sofia didn't attend either. Iirc that was due to that Islandic culcano which prevented airtravel on that day.

The Queen usually attended these events (weddings, birthdays, jubilees...) without JC. On Margrethe's 70th birthday Sofia didn't attend either. Iirc that was due to that Islandic culcano which prevented airtravel on that day.

Both Juan Carlos and Sofia attended the private dinner on the occasion of King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday in 2006. The dinner was held at Drottningholm Palace the day before, April 29th, the actual Birthday.

Both Juan Carlos and Sofia attended the private dinner on the occasion of King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday in 2006. The dinner was held at Drottningholm Palace the day before, April 29th, the actual Birthday.
They also attended a private Dinner/Event for King Harald's 70th birthday in 2007.

King Juan Carlos attended events of other reigning monarchs... both King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were to attend the dinner on 70th birthday of the Queen of Denmark, it was on the official agenda.

Spanish Royal Family normally follows the rule of equal rank. Now the Royal Family has changed, so we do not know how they will organize these things and it is absurd to speculate. On Friday when they make public the weekly schedule we will know it.

The 15th King Felipe will be in Brussels visiting the European institutions, the agenda is not closed and nor is confirmed if queen Letizia accompanies him. Nor is it known if a member of the Royal Family will attend the funeral of the victims of the plane crash on 17th in Cologne.

I'm not surprised of the Swedish Royal Family representation - aren't QMII and KCG cousins?

:previous: Yes, they are first cousins.

Apart from their family relationship the countries are also very close on a political level. All Skandinavian countries cooperate very closely and that is also reflected on the royal level. I'm sure that there will be significant representation from the Norwegian RF as well. I expect that from Norway there will also be the Monarchs and the CP couple.

And then I just remembered that King WA mentioned during his SV last month that he is looking forward to returning to Danmark for the Queen's birthday.

:previous: Yes, they are first cousins.

Apart from their family relationship the countries are also very close on a political level. All Skandinavian countries cooperate very closely and that is also reflected on the royal level. I'm sure that there will be significant representation from the Norwegian RF as well. I expect that from Norway there will also be the Monarchs and the CP couple.

We should not expect Queen Sonja at least. She is in New York City for an art event during 16-17 April.

TV2 has just shown the portrait I wrote a summary of above and it was brilliant!
For once I disagree with you, Muhler :sad: I was disappointed by the film. It was old and earlier used photoage 90-95% of the time. And why wasn´t neither CPss Mary nor the children of the CPC mentioned. It was only the then Pss Alexandra and the little Prince Nikolai, who was about 1 year.

But ok, it is Jakob Jørgensen who made this film, so perhaps that´s why :whistling:

:previous: I agree with you. I was surprised by how little new footage was used in the documentary and that they would dig up such old footage. But then again, they're notoriously bad at portraits and documentaries over at TV2. I'm moderately disappointed that DR doesn't have a proper documentary about QMII for her birthday. They only have the QMII and the arts one that will be sent tomorrow and it's a bit sad because I usually love their portraits of the royal family.

:previous: Depends on the eyes of the beholder I guess. To me it wasn't the footage (beautiful as it was) so much as what was said and done by QMII.

Anyway, the Guards Hussars have arrived in Aarhus prior to the big show on Wednesday and here are a few behind the scenes pics from Aarhus Stiftstidende:
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511973-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---4.jpg - Both hoofs and boots needs to be checked and shine.
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511971-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---2.jpg - The pointed saddle cover/blanket is typical for light cavalry and it conveys a sense of speed. Heavy cavalry often have a more square cover/blanket.
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511977-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---8.jpg - A beautiful rear view. Hussars were the lightest of the light cavalry and as such they were often used as couriers, so a standard feature of the Guards Hussars equipment is the "dispatcher-bag".
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511976-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---7.jpg - There are two squadrons in the mounted Guards Hussars and they are each distinguished by a white and red mane on their kepis. Each squadron consists of some 40-60 sabres. (Troopers is a modern and more American general term. In Continental Europe in particular the number of cavalrymen in a squadron are counted as X sabres for hussars, dragoons and chausseurs. Lances for lancers and uhlans. And swords for cuirrasiers and sometimes heavy dragoons).
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511974-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---5.jpg - Grooming the horse. You will notice that one of the hussars is a signalman, a trompeter to be exact. (Not a buglar (they were and are used by the US cavalry in particular) or a hornblower (used by light infantry)). As the hussars mainly consists of conscripts while the horses are seasoned cavalry mounts it often happens that the horse reacts instinctively and invariably correct faster to signals from the trompeter than the silly human on its back.
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511970-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---1.jpg - The decorations on the harness of the horse is made from sea-shells.
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511975-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---6.jpg - In full combat-gear. The fur, as the jacket is called, is worn over the blue dolman and in combat the fur was preferably slung across the left shoulder and it provided very excellent protection from sabre-slashes. While the uncovered right arm was better allowed to move freely.
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511972-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---3.jpg - Beforehand hussars firmly believed they were Gods personal gift to womenkind and they were expected to act accordingly...! Nowadays it's far from uncommon if half the mounted hussars are women. But they still have to perform modern combat drill though, riding light armored vehicles. Becoming a mounted hussars is only the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/511/8/800x600-u/8511974-gardehusarerne-trak-fulde-huse---5.jpg - Grooming the horse. You will notice that one of the hussars is a signalman, a trompeter to be exact. (Not a buglar (they were and are used by the US cavalry in particular) or a hornblower (used by light infantry)). As the hussars mainly consists of conscripts while the horses are seasoned cavalry mounts it often happens that the horse reacts instinctively and invariably correct faster to signals from the trompeter than the silly human on its back.
Notice also that it is a trompeter horse. The Guard Hussars uses only "white" horses as trompeter horses :flowers:

thank you for all the info Muhler:flowers: I have a special spot for those uniforms;)

The DRF website has published this bio and portrait of the Queen
Portræt af H.M. Dronningen - Kongehuset

A Interview given by Anne-Marie and Benedikte on their sister
Sammen med os kan Dronningen slappe af | Kristeligt Dagblad

"Especially in recent years, the Queen has conferred more tasks to the royal couple and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, and for the older generation, it is a pleasure to see that they approach them depends on their own way. Anne-Marie: "They do things differently and newer way. That's good, because you have to innovate. I think that makes it great, and I know that my sister seem the same. And she's crazy proud of his grandchildren. "
Benedikte: "She can see the future through them."
Anne-Marie: "Yes, the future through Frederik and little Christian. It is something that amuses her. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice also that it is a trompeter horse. The Guard Hussars uses only "white" horses as trompeter horses :flowers:

Correct, FasterB :) The signalmen rode horses that were "reversed" in color to the rest of the horses in a squadron, so that the commanding officer could quickly locate his signalman in the confusion.
Individual squadrons (and sometimes whole regiments!) rode, when possible, horses of uniform color, so that the colonel (or rather lieutenant colonel, who was often the one who was in charge on the battlefield and on a day to day basis in the regiment) could easier ID them from a distance.

General Custer, or colonel Custer depending on your view, got himself mighty unpopular when in charge of the 7th US Cavalry, because he at one point demanded that the troopers should exchange horses so that the squadrons rode as uniform horses as possible.
Needless to say neither troopers nor horses appreciated having to change horses (and riders), horses they had sometimes ridden since enlistment. (*)
Especially since individual squadrons were spread in small outposts all over the place most of the time and as the regiments only rarely operated as one unit, so few could see the point.

(*) A typical enlistment period in the 1870's lasted five years and the average troopers served one period, very often less, because the desertion rate was high. During that five year period the average trooper could expect to see action once.
The exception was actually the two black cavalry regiments, the 9th and 10th. The troopers here were usually long-timers and as such very experienced, a thing that is not so well known... The reason being that soldiering was a career where a black man could rise by merit and at the same time be sure to have employment for a very long time.
The ten US Cavalry regiments were hopelessly overstretched so it was decided to rise additional squadrons of mounted infantry, who being armed with rifles were very effective once they got to grips with the Native Americans. Alas, mounted infantry is not as glamorous as cavalry so Hollywood has neglected to give them much coverage. - But I get carried away...

You are welcome, Polyesco.

Last edited:
Looks like the festivities are going to be really "international". :)

K Philippe and Q Mathilde will attend Q Margrethe's birthday gala on April 15th, which happens to be K Philippe's 55th birthday.
De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Actueel - Agenda - 75ste verjaardag van Hare Majesteit Koningin Margrethe II van Denemarken
Philippe and Mathilde likely skip the April 16th activities in Denmark because on that very day their daughter Eleonore turns 7. And Philippe's cousin GD Henri celebrates his 60th birthday too. Many parties to attend these 2 days. :D

As much as I love Margrethe having big birthdays every 5 years it seems a little odd that there is a big celebration for a 75th birthday but nothing public going in for Henri's 60th, I wonder if Margarethe checked if Henri wanted 'a turn' at being birthday boy before she invited everyone?

As much as I love Margrethe having big birthdays every 5 years it seems a little odd that there is a big celebration for a 75th birthday but nothing public going in for Henri's 60th, I wonder if Margarethe checked if Henri wanted 'a turn' at being birthday boy before she invited everyone?

I doubt it. It is QM2's 75th, she did what she wanted to. If Henri wanted to do something, he would have as well, and the attendees would have chosen where they went.

This big birthday celebrations are typical for Denmark, they are not typical for Luxembourg. The grand-ducal family tend to celebrate on a smaller scale. Btw I believe that the royals keep in contact privately, chatting on the phone here and there. The question might or might not have come up, but they would never let the public know about such conversations.

I'm glad that the attendance of the Belgian King and Queen has been announced. Although I had hope that Albert and Paola might also attend. They are the same generation as Queen Margrethe and have known each other for ages.

I find it also a bit unusual to celebrate the 75 birthday so big as neither the 55th or 65th where celebrated big. But i love it that there will lots of Galas and all this.
Perhaps the belgian King and Queen feel obligated to attend this time as they where forced to attend the 70th birthday celbrations because to Volcano ash clouds.

I think that it is because 75 is three quarters of a century. I know of many people who celebrate 75 rather big. Also institutions, companies, etc. often celebrate their 75th anniversary. The same often goes for 25 anniversaries which usually are bigger festivities than 20 or 30. And even the Princes Consort had a very big 75th birthday celebration, it was much bigger than his 80th. So I am not at all surprised.

I remember that 5 years ago the Dutch RF arrived by night train to be able to attend. If memory serves me right, the Belgian and Luxembourg Royals could not do that because they had other engagements which left no time for such slow travel. The other Skandinavian Royals arrived by car and ferry, but Queen Silvia did not make it in time for the theatre gala. But she was seen at the reception after the gala.

:previous:

The Lux. GD couple did attend. Perhaps hey went by car? On the way back they traveled with the Dutch royals on the royal train. The Belgians were unable to attend indeed. QMII told a Dutch tv-show that the Lux. couple also traveled to Copenhagen on the Dutch train but perhaps she remembers it wrong. At the arrival only the Dutch royals appeared on the station platform.

In The Netherlands it is more likely that f.e. a company will celebrate its 75th anniversary instead of 70 or 80. The same goes for 25 instead of 20 or 30. So I do not find it all that odd. The same applies to weddings and even birthdays. I do not know if this is also the case in Denmark though.

It is a nice surprise that the king and queen of the Belgians will attend. Let's hope we will see Queen Mathilde with a tiara she has never worn before. The 9-provinces in full setting or ideally the Spanish tiara of Queen Fabiola.

Last edited:
:previous:

The Lux. GD couple did attend. Perhaps hey went by car? On the way back they traveled with the Dutch royals on the royal train. The Belgians were unable to attend indeed. QMII told a Dutch tv-show that the Lux. couple also traveled to Copenhagen on the Dutch train but perhaps she remembers it wrong. At the arrival only the Dutch royals appeared on the station platform.

In The Netherlands it is more likely that f.e. a company will celebrate its 75th anniversary instead of 70 or 80. The same goes for 25 instead of 20 or 30. So I do not find it all that odd. The same applies to weddings and even birthdays. I do not know if this is also the case in Denmark though.

It is a nice surprise that the king and queen of the Belgians will attend. Let's hope we will see Queen Mathilde with a tiara she has never worn before. The 9-provinces in full setting or ideally the Spanish tiara of Queen Fabiola.
Ther lucemburgian GD Ducal Couple was also there for the Theater Gala, the dutch RF not they attended only thex next day.
I share your hope regarding Queen Mathilde.

Back
Top Bottom