Queen Margrethe: Work as an Artist and Scenographer

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Margarethe is a very talented lady. I imagen she love to create all this work and see others enjoy it.

If Margrethe were not a royal I believe she would suit a career in fashion or set design. She's indeed very talented.

Next Friday , April 23, Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte will open two exhibitions at the Koldinghus in Kolding, one of them is entitled "The Queen's Embroidery" and will show a selection of around 100 private embroideries created by Queen Margrethe. Some examples have been shown today on the Palace‘s website, including handbags for Mary and Marie:

** kongehuset gallery: Udstillingen ”Dronningens Broderier” ** instagram gallery **

Next Friday , April 23, Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte will open two exhibitions at the Koldinghus in Kolding, one of them is entitled "The Queen's Embroidery" and will show a selection of around 100 private embroideries created by Queen Margrethe. Some examples have been shown today on the Palace‘s website, including handbags for Mary and Marie:

** kongehuset gallery: Udstillingen ”Dronningens Broderier” ** instagram gallery **
The Queen is very talented! So cheerful and bright creations! They just made me smile when I looked at them. I'm not talented with my fingers or visual imagination but I admire people who are.

Wow! What a talent! I love the bags she made for daughters in law.

These are fun. It's a pity she can't really market stuff, even for charity; I imagine people would like her designs, or to do them as kits, and not just viewed for Christmas or on a stamp or similarly. Although she did famously manage to illustrate Lord of the Rings, and I don't think anyone has asked her where the royalties went for that one, Ingahild. ;)

Last edited:
I've read that she illustrated the Danish edition of The Lord of the Rings but the article was in Danish and my rusty Norwegian wasn't this useful. But she seems to have many artistic talents.

Brilliant to see the purses! I believe in last year's documentary Dronningen holder frikvarter, you saw her working on Marie's purse and mentioned that her next project would be a similar one for Mary or something to that effect :D

I've read that she illustrated the Danish edition of The Lord of the Rings but the article was in Danish and my rusty Norwegian wasn't this useful. But she seems to have many artistic talents.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/66764/time-queen-denmark-illustrated-lord-rings Apparently they made it into a British edition as well.

She also provides gracious cred for your non-royal-enthused friends; they may not think being sovereign of a thousand-year-old monarchy is any big deal, but "she illustrated LOTR" is impressive in case the former isn't.

Last edited:
Thank you, I really enjoyed this.

ETA: How did you read my mind? How? I was just thinking of how I'm never telling my brother this because he's going to smirk and say, "See? Even an old royal lady gets it. You might be the only fantasy enthusiast who never made it to the end of The Lord." I really didn't. The first 50 pages killed my desire to go on at least three times, so I gave up. But I recognize legit credentials when I see them!

Last edited:
Thank you, I really enjoyed this.

ETA: How did you read my mind? How? I was just thinking of how I'm never telling my brother this because he's going to smirk and say, "See? Even an old royal lady gets it. You might be the only fantasy enthusiast who never made it to the end of The Lord." I really didn't. The first 50 pages killed my desire to go on at least three times, so I gave up. But I recognize legit credentials when I see them!

Well, then you just smirk back and say "too busy admiring actual queen to finish Return of the King, thanks". :cool: I have only read The Hobbit myself (and it was for school many a moon ago. I do remember liking it though), but I definitely think it's cool Daisy impressed Tolkien, way, way before it all became a huge pop culture thing. (That being said, omg, she really needs to meet Stephen Colbert one day. The geekery).

And yes, it's very handy for impressing people who don't care about non-fantasy versions of royals! :lol:

On June 16 Queen Margrethe watched a rehearsal of a Hans Christian Andersen Play she has once more worked on:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

New project for the Queen:

"When the upcoming feature film "Ehrengard" premieres, it will be Her Majesty the Queen who is behind the film's scenography and costumes. "Ehrengard" is based on Karen Blixen's story of love and intrigue, and the film is directed by Bille August.
"I have tried to interpret Blixen's fantastic universe in the development of the découpages and costumes, and I look forward to seeing the story of Ehrengard come to life in the film," says the Queen about her work with "Ehrengard", which is based on one of Karen Blixen's last works."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTOsfZKr7qj/

New project for the Queen:

"When the upcoming feature film "Ehrengard" premieres, it will be Her Majesty the Queen who is behind the film's scenography and costumes. "Ehrengard" is based on Karen Blixen's story of love and intrigue, and the film is directed by Bille August.
"I have tried to interpret Blixen's fantastic universe in the development of the découpages and costumes, and I look forward to seeing the story of Ehrengard come to life in the film," says the Queen about her work with "Ehrengard", which is based on one of Karen Blixen's last works."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTOsfZKr7qj/

How does she get the time to do something like that?

How does she get the time to do something like that?
I've read that the Queen has one day a week off to devote herself to her artistic endeavors. Tuesdays I believe.

I've read that the Queen has one day a week off to devote herself to her artistic endeavors. Tuesdays I believe.

Doing that type of stuff for a feature film would take way more than one day a week. Something like scenography and costumes etc is usually a full time job on a film requiring many hours to envision, come up with ideas, drawings, designs and then making sure the vision is properly executed and making additional revisions along the way. It just isn't a part time undertaking imo.

It's not the first film she's done, though, so I get the sense Daisy makes designs and then she has several willing underlings who execute them and revise for her. Still pretty substantial but at least she doesn't need a queen sabbatical. I mean, she also works on at least one theater production a year, which takes its own chunk of time...

They do say she's "behind" the scenography and costumes, not that she did everything singlehandedly.

It's not the first film she's done, though, so I get the sense Daisy makes designs and then she has several willing underlings who execute them and revise for her. Still pretty substantial but at least she doesn't need a queen sabbatical. I mean, she also works on at least one theater production a year, which takes its own chunk of time...

They do say she's "behind" the scenography and costumes, not that she did everything singlehandedly.

Of course she wouldn't do things singlehandedly. Any one creating the costumes and scenography on a film always has a team of people. However, the one creating the vision is usually still hands on and making sure their vision is being executed every step of the way. I saw one video from a ballet a few years ago where shew as literally at a fitting of costumes ensuring the fit was right. I just think an undertaking like this (whether film or stage) is quite time consuming. Just my humble opinion. ?

I really admire HM for making time to do what she loves to do the most. She's not only a monarch and Queen but she also still pursues the things that she loves and what interests her as a person. To be able to be involved with things such as a film production that has a story that will fascinate the hearts and minds of so many people is surely it's own reward for her. She's no stranger to doing this kind of thing either. She'll feel a huge sense of satisfaction too when she sits at the premiere of this film and watches the finished project unfold.

One thing I'm sure HM does *not* do though is skimp on her role as Queen and monarch of Denmark. She just makes time for other things that she really wants to do.

"It is the eighth time that the Danish Queen has agreed to join the team and showcase her creative abilities for the design of costumes and decoration in a ballet performance at Tivoli."

Why does it feel like so much more than eight??

Last edited:
Isabella looks so grown up! They look wonderful. Mary looks beautiful!!

Isabella looks more and more mature and in her facial features. The childish look is almost gone.

Vincent, well he's grandma-candy.

That's nice to see.

We see him quite often with that branch of his family, suggesting that he (fortunately, also considering his age) has a good and close relationship with his aunt and uncle. (*) And his little cousins.
- Aaaand, it's more fun to go to farmor's shows with other relatives, no doubt. :D

(*) Let's go through it again.
Frederik is Felix farbror - father's brother.
Mary is Felix tante - aunt in general or an aunt who has married into the family.
Isabella (and Josephine) is Felix kusine - female cousin.
Vincent is Felix fætter - male cousin.
QMII is of course his farmor - father's mother.
Our Marie is Felix bonusmor - bonus-mother.
Athena is Felix halvsøster - half-sister.
Henrik his halvbror - half-brother.
Benedikte (and Queen Anne-Marie) is Felix grandtante - great-aunt.
With King Konstantin (DK spelling) being his grandonkel - great-uncle.
PH was Felix farfar - father's father.
Queen Ingrid was Felix oldemor - great-grandmother.
King Frederik IX was his oldefar - great-grandfather.

Had Felix dad had a sister, she would be Felix faster - father's sister.
And Alexandra's sister would have been moster - mother's sister.
Alexandra's brother would be morbror - mother's brother.

- And now you have learned some basic Danish and it's easy, eh? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice to see.

We see him quite often with that branch of his family, suggesting that he (fortunately, also considering his age) has a good and close relationship with his aunt and uncle. (*) And his little cousins.
- Aaaand, it's more fun to go to farmor's shows with other relatives, no doubt. :D

Mary is Felix tante - aunt in general or an aunt who has married into the family.

Thanks! I learned something today!! It seems to me that Felix is closer to that part of his family than his brother IMO.

https://instagram.com/stories/tivol...ce=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

IG story showing arrival inside

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice to see.

Alexandra does have sisters. And parents, so Felix has (had) both mosters and a morfar and mormor, though none of them are Danish.

Out of curiosity, what was the old word for bonusmor? ;)

Back
Top Bottom