Queen Margrethe: Work as an Artist and Scenographer

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Yes, that is indeed a typical Margrethe :lol:
What's a poor Queen to do when she needs a fag? Well, join the rest of the addicts outside.

It seems like dancing ballet on a weekly basis is a good way to stay in shape. She is 70+, has had two knee replacements and she can still fit the dresses of her youth. That's pretty impressive by any standard.

:previous:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Yes, that is indeed a typical Margrethe :lol:
What's a poor Queen to do when she needs a fag? Well, join the rest of the addicts outside.

It seems like dancing ballet on a weekly basis is a good way to stay in shape. She is 70+, has had two knee replacements and she can still fit the dresses of her youth. That's pretty impressive by any standard.
Agree! There are also those who say that you gain weight when you stop smoking; perhaps the Prince Consort has kicked the habit:whistling:?

Agree! There are also those who say that you gain weight when you stop smoking; perhaps the Prince Consort has kicked the habit:whistling:?

True, the same thing if you stop drinking. It's so easy to replace one addiction with another.
Then he can join AC, Anonymous Chubbies. "Hi, I'm Henri. I'm a calorie-addict too"....:p

Only half kidding actually. I do believe in calorie-addiction, and it ought to be approached as an addiction.

Loved the photos, she looks very passionate about the rehearsals, she really gets into it. Loved the clear closeups of her gold flower basket brooch with cabochon sapphires and rubies.

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #42, 2012.
Jeg kunne ikke sige nej - I couldn't say no.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

This is the biggest project yet, where QMII has been in charge of costumes and settings.
The ballet The Nutcracker will premiere on 22 November. The fairy tale will take place in Tivoli and will also feature H. C. Andersen. (*)
QMII ws quickly persuaded:
"I thought to myself: You are out of your mind. But I couldn't say no. It was way too exciting and the challenge was too big.
The Nutcracker is the biggest performance I have made until now. It has taken up a good deal of space in my life and a I have spend quite some time by drawing costumes and settings. Mentall it has also taken up space. Because when you have accepted such a task it churns around in one's head. But it has been fun, yes, it has really been amusing".

Q: You had a small role yourself in the movie The Wild Swans. Will we also see you on stage in the Nutcracker?
QMII: "No, you certainly won't. You can rest very easy". (Laughing).

She goes on about the actual story to this ballet: "I was allowed to take part as a sparring partner and to join in in creating the story with Peter Bo Bendixen, who is choeographer and Henrik Lyding who is dramaturg. I have probebly been a headache (pain in the butt) like no one else for the rest of them, but I think we have reached something good.
One always think that those ideas your have yourself are irresistable. But we have discussed them throughly to see whether they really were so good as one thought. That applies to me as to anyone else".

Q: How do you take critisism?
QMII: "I actually don't know. But I'm more or less tough I think".

(*) He would have appreciated that! H.C. Andersen was a man who very much craved attention.
There is an anecdote about him at a dinner. A some point the general coversation wasn't about him, so he "fell ill". Then the focus was on him again, - where it ought to be. :p

am so looking forward to the reviews of this production!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually going to see The Nutcracker in Tivoli this year, I can't wait to see the Queen's costumes in action.

I´m sooooo jealous, ´cause my little (well, big he turned 12 this year) nephew and my parents are going to see it. It´s a tradition at christmas :)

As a huge ballet fan (as well as a huge fan of QMII) I'd have loved to have seen this Nutcracker. There are always loads of productions of the Nutcracker over here in the UK at Christmas time but from what I've read it doesn't seem to be part of the ballet tradition in Denmark? This is a link to an article in one of our national newspapers The Telegraph re the production and the Queen's role: Danish Queen brings a fairytale prince to life - Telegraph

Mind you, as a librarian myself I'm not particularly happy about the stereotypical description :bang: but I suppose I should be used to it.
What were the reviews like of it in Denmark? It seemed good to me that they'd given it a Danish twist.

I'm actually going to see The Nutcracker in Tivoli this year, I can't wait to see the Queen's costumes in action.
Happy New Year! Are you sufficiently recovered from your Nutcracker experience to share with the rest of us who are longing to hear about what we could not see!:flowers:

Yesterday, June 19, Queen Margrethe was at the Tivoli in Copenhagen as she has designed new costumes for the play "The Steadfast Tin Soldier".

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** bt.dk gallery **

Lord of the Rings

QMII's illustrations for Tolkien's Lord of the Rings was done under the pseudonym 'Ingahild Grathmer' - if you google that name you should be able to see more of her illustrations.

I wonder if her passion for archeology deserves a thread of it's own. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 320
HM does a very good job with the costume designs. I can't see the set yet.

Summary of artice in Billed Bladet #47, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

As you know QMII has been the scenographer of the latest premiere of the ballet The Nutcracker, to be shown at the Tivoli Concert Hall. This is the second time, she is scenographer to that particular ballet.

And she has been interviewed about it: "I believe that if you say yes to making costumes and scenogrphy for a show, you should without resevertions dispense with/look away from what people imagine you to be and what you might be capable of.
You should first and foremost do your utmost at what you have commited yourself to. In such a situation I certainly don't think of myself as queen. I only think about that what I contribute with must delight the audience, but also very much those artists who put an effort into getting such a show up and running. Then it's not relevant at all what I otherwise do".

Q: Has it become a better performance/show?
QMII: "I certainly count on it having become, if possible, even better. I thought there were some of the costumes I could do a little better, there have also been included slightly different costumes in among other things the Flower Waltz, and other features have been added to the ballet in regards to how it was two years ago. But the main line remains unaltered".

Q: Have you been sleepless prior to the premiere?
QMII: "Not quite as sleepless as the last time. But I can't help thinking: Is that detail working alright? So I have been thinking a lot about it. But I'm confident".

Q: Some of the scenes takes place during a snowfall and you have at least drawn some of the constumes and the scenography during the summer. Has that been difficult?
QMII: "No, that's not so hard. When you enter the universe you can think about snow, even though it's summer outside".

Q: A part of the ballet is about the little girl Clara's memories about Tivoli. What are your own childhood memories of Tivoli?
QMII: "I guess I was eight-nine years old or something like that, when I was in here for the first time. (*) I remember we tried both the rollercoaster and the ballon-swing and I thought the ballon-swing was so groovy. To let go and scream all you could - that's lovely"!

(*) Parts of Tivoli was destroyed in the last part of the Occupation during WWII. A Schallburgtage. I.e. a bombing done by pro-Nazi Danes. In contrast to a sabotage, done by resistance fighters.
The story about the Schalburg Corps and the DRF is intersting in itself: https://app.box.com/s/8g31xvhl48vk16uez6xv

Including Princess Helena: https://app.box.com/s/gfg13l8adm2j747su8zs
https://app.box.com/s/t3mpis346dia4bz3abf3

Within the past fifteen years or so we have had a sometimes painful and certainly uncomfortable review of how the Occupation really was during WWII here in DK. It was much more complicated than the collective memory of the Danes after WWII prefers to believe it was. I.e. that all who were not hardcore Nazis were against the occupation.
Some did fight back, but most adapted more or less willingly in most occupied countries, certainly in western Europe. A kind of live and let live attitude. While others again joined "the winners", the Nazis. In some countries that led to what was de facto an underground civil war, between what can most easily be labelled Communists on one side and Fascists on the other, especially in southern Europe.
That is still to this day an open wound in most countries and in some countries a topic best avoided entirely.

Absolutely correct Muhler; I am thinking of the Netherlands where there are still many stories similar to the Danish experience that need to be told but I fear they may never see the light of day:bang:

Last edited by a moderator:

Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja attended the opening of their exhibition 'Fra fjell til kyst' (From mountains to the coast) at Baroniet in Rosendal, Norway on June 12. It's a joint exhibition of their artworks that runs from June 12 to September 6, 2015.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** kongehuset.no ** translation **

Margrethe is the artist behind this year's Christmas seal.

The Christmas seals support the Danish Christmas Seal Homes for overweight Danish children.

A home Mary is patron of.

As you may know it's always Mary who reveals the Christmas stamps together with the artist - therefore we can expect a nice common event for Margrethe and Mary :)

On Wednesday the 28th October Margrethe as an artist and Mary as patron of the Christmas Seal Foundation together will reveals this year's Christmas seals:

https://www.ritzauinfo.dk/release?releaseId=4435183

Last edited:
Margrethe is the artist behind this year's Christmas seal.

The Christmas seals support the Danish Christmas Seal Homes for overweight Danish children.

A home Mary is patron of.

As you may know it's always Mary who reveals the Christmas stamps together with the artist - therefore we can expect a nice common event for Margrethe and Mary :)

On Wednesday the 28th October Margrethe as an artist and Mary as patron of the Christmas Seal Foundation together will reveals this year's Christmas seals:

https://www.ritzauinfo.dk/release?releaseId=4435183

This is really something special i think.
the note from the DRF website. it is the third time the Queen designs it.
Årets julemærkekunstner 2015 - Kongehuset
"The Queen has twice previously drawn Christmas label motif: In 1970, as successor to the throne and in 2003 Christmas Seal number 100th"

from 2003
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/Images/julemarke2003-2.jpg-2.img

Looking forward to the event together :flowers:

Very clever design as it shows children looking like they are being active and it is visually very appealing. Until recently I did not know how talented this lady is.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2015.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know by now QMII will again be a scenographer. This time for the fairy tale Cinderella to be performed as a ballet. The production will have premiere next autumn.
While QMII will handle sets and costumes, the singer and composer Oh Land, whose real name is Nanna Øland, (She got her breakthrough in USA BTW) will handle the music.

In fact QMII and Oh Land had only met for the first time a couple of hours before th press conference, so they are going to learn to work together, let alone to get to know each other.

The 30 year old Oh Land does have considerable experience in ballet. She was a ballet-child at the Royal Theatre but had to quit due to a back injury.
In fact she was one of the children dancing when QMII was a scenographer to A Folks Tale some twenty years ago.

Oh Land says she's looking forward to returning to DK and make music for a ballet, for the first time. So it's an advantage to work with QMII who is now pretty experienced in the work of setting up a ballet. She also said that she and QMII had exchanged ideas prior to the press conference when they met for the first time.
First and foremost she looks forward to the co-operation that is part of setting up a performance: "I'm of course wildly excited but to me the co-operation is always the most fun at part at all. That's where you develop the most, and where you ultimately create the best result. Rather than sitting alone in your own cocoon".
QMII: "I agree wholeheartedly. You get so much more when you work with someone, rather than sitting with your own more or less gifted genius".

Will the show be colorful or more subdued?
QMII: "I'm not particular good at keeping in line in regards to colors, so I don't think it will be specially subdued. But I shall try and keep my fondness for colors in check".

QMII gets her energy and enthusiasm simply from the fun of being involved in the creative process.

As to the music. Even though QMII had heard about Oh Land, she admits willingly that she hasn't heard a sound of her music. Pop-music is not something she listen a lot to: "No, I must admit that I'm not familiar with Oh Land's music, but I have on many good words that it's very much worth listening to".

Oh Land is expecting her first child next February. She lives on a daily basis in New York with her husband.

- It was a very enthusiastic QMII at the press conference who clearly looked very much forward to begin working.
At some of the previous performances QMII has been involved in, she has readily admitted that it was pretty stressful as she still had to look after her day job as monarch. Now M&F have taken over so much that she will be much better able to involve herself in having fun being a scenographer.

Back
Top Bottom