Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 2: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is indeed amazing, and I am fully behind her statements. What surprises me that in Denmark a Queen can make such a speech, without government/politicians getting angry.
In comparison to Great Britian, the Netherlands and other European Royals I cannot imagine that they would be get away with telling their personal own political opinion. Aren't they all restricted to appear "neutral" and never make political statements in public?

in principle, yes.

unless it is in line with the government's political stance. and very preferable also the political stance of a majority of the parliament. *

or, if it is in the interest of the state. **

-----

* in case of ukraine: QMII is in line with every single party in the parliament. that includes both the far right and the far left as well as a couple of tree-hugging pacifists.
the tribe is united.

** she gave one of her "now listen! granny is talking" speeches during the pandemic, cracking the whip against those who did not maintain social distancing or followed the guidelines. that had a far greater affect than any politician or health official talking.
that speech could perhaps also be seen as political and perhaps not have possible in other monarchies?

What is prompting these interviews? With her surgery coming up, it's a little concerning that she might be "setting the record" straight, in case something happens to her.

What is prompting these interviews? With her surgery coming up, it's a little concerning that she might be "setting the record" straight, in case something happens to her.

nothing unusual about that.
DRF-members are giving interviews every few months, especially up to major events.
- about half of these interviews are pretty uninteresting IMO.

this one is interesting because it's the first interview after the title-debacle and because QMII is asked intelligent questions - and answering them.

That's good to hear. I don't think I've read of such an in-depth interview with her in a long time, so I wondering. Thanks for clarifying.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-m...ryggen-har-ikke-fulgt-eksperters-anbefalinger
An interesting article in BT about some concerns regarding QMII's habit of smoking.

During the interview that is also mentioned in this thread, QMII smoke several cigarettes and the interviewer, Martin Krasnik, also tried one of her Greek cigarettes. (They are not mild!)
It was conducted over two sessions. The first took place five weeks pre-surgey (and there she smoked.) The second took place four weeks pre-surgery.
QMII said about smoking: "Now I'm so old it doesn't matter."

The doctors in DK up to a major surgery strongly advise the patient to stop smoking six week prior to the surgery and two-three months post surgery - in order to ensure the surgery to be successful.
Because smoking reduce your capacity to transport sufficient oxygen in the blood decreasing the chances of healing and recovering completely after the surgery.
In fact a retired doctor who specialized in back-surgery at Rigshospitalet said in the article that there are placed in DK where they don't (or perhaps rather avoid?) operating on people who smoke, simply because their chances of a successful outcome is worse compared to non-smokers.

-------------

Admittedly that is one of the things in the back of my mind, along with her age and the fact that she is hardly getting much exercise. She gave up her weekly ballet lessons some years ago.

PH, some years before he died also had a back surgery and that didn't go well. The type of operation was risky to stat with IIRC about 10 % would be just as bad off if not worse after the surgery. But it was stressed, I remember, that PH should exercise and that was something PH did not do that much. - Combined with him weighing too much.

PH, some years before he died also had a back surgery and that didn't go well. The type of operation was risky to stat with IIRC about 10 % would be just as bad off if not worse after the surgery. But it was stressed, I remember, that PH should exercise and that was something PH did not do that much. - Combined with him weighing too much.

As far as I know he did stop smoking.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-m...ryggen-har-ikke-fulgt-eksperters-anbefalinger
An interesting article in BT about some concerns regarding QMII's habit of smoking.

During the interview that is also mentioned in this thread, QMII smoke several cigarettes and the interviewer, Martin Krasnik, also tried one of her Greek cigarettes. (They are not mild!)
It was conducted over two sessions. The first took place five weeks pre-surgey (and there she smoked.) The second took place four weeks pre-surgery.
QMII said about smoking: "Now I'm so old it doesn't matter."

But it does matter to us, Daisy!!!! Why does my Queen want to kill me of a heart attack!?

The surgery should take place soon, I believe. Praying for a miraculously wonderful recovery.

Last edited:
As far as I know he did stop smoking.
Thanks. Couldn't remember.

Is the Queen's surgery already underway?

Within the next couple of weeks or so, I believe.
I guess that one day they will send out a press release informing that the surgery has taken place. - And only then may we perhaps be told what kind of surgery it is.

Thanks. Couldn't remember.

Within the next couple of weeks or so, I believe.

I guess that one day they will send out a press release informing that the surgery has taken place. - And only then may we perhaps be told what kind of surgery it is.

I thought her surgery was supposed to be today (Feb 22).

If the surgery took place today, an announcement really ought to have gone out by now.
But a surgery can easily be postponed for all sorts of reasons, hence me playing safe.

If the surgery took place today, an announcement really ought to have gone out by now.
But a surgery can easily be postponed for all sorts of reasons, hence me playing safe.

Then why didn't they announce a postponement?

:previous: The Queen has undergone surgery.

Her Majesty the Queen has today undergone extensive back surgery at the Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen. The operation went according to plan, and the Queen's condition is good and stable under the circumstances.

In the coming time, the Queen will continue to be hospitalized at the Rigshospitalet, and after that a longer period of convalescence and rehabilitation of the back awaits.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-m-dronningen-er-blevet-opereret

"Extensive back surgery" "under the circumstances" and "long period of convalescence" are words that I don't want to hear in relation to Daisy.

Last edited:
Then why didn't they announce a postponement?
The operation was performed today according to plans. Everything went well and the Queen will remain at hospital for some time before an extensive period of rehabilitation. The Queen is doing well according to circumstances.
Crown Prince Frederik is acting as regent going forward and Princess Benedikte will replace him as regent during his trip to India.

Hopefully the family has put their differences aside for the surgery. They'll never forgive themselves if, God forbid, something should go terribly awry and something as silly as a title would've kept them apart.

Great to hear the surgery has gone according to plan!

Not surprised at all that the statement hasn't gone out until now.

They wouldn't put it out before the full process of the operation is safely completed and that process includes recovery from the general anaesthesia which can take hours after the operation itself has been completed – especially given how extensive QMII's surgery will have been.

:previous: The Queen has undergone surgery.

"Extensive back surgery" "under the circumstances" and "long period of convalescence" are words that I don't want to hear in relation to Daisy.

I think it has been known that the surgery was a major surgery...and it is never really known what the medical team will encounter until she is on the table and they open up the area. The release said she was stable under the circumstances (including the extent of the surgery, being under general anesthesia, her age, underlying medical conditions and added risk factors [such as that she did not stop smoking in the run-up to surgery and appears to have zero plans to cease smoking during recovery and rehab - this just adds to the already present risks]). And the initial press release did state that there was a long road of PT/rehab. Now, that they know the extent of the surgical intervention that was needed, the timeframe for any recovery and then rehab may have been adjusted accordingly. There is no way of knowing how her body will respond to the surgery.

Is it known that she didn't stop smoking before the surgery? And do places like Rigshospitalet allow you to smoke in-hospital even if you are the head of state?

I would think she must be on nicotine patches at the moment, according to most hospital protocols.

I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope the Queen has a good recovery. The Queen's age is cause for concern, but she will have all the necessary care.

Is it known that she didn't stop smoking before the surgery? And do places like Rigshospitalet allow you to smoke in-hospital even if you are the head of state?

I would think she must be on nicotine patches at the moment, according to most hospital protocols.

She smoked during the first part of the interview which was five weeks prior to the operation.
There are I suppose, rooms where patients who can move about can go to smoke but I'm not sure.
But employees will have to leave the hospital entirely, if they want to smoke.
But who but a doctor will stop QMII from smoking in the room if she really wants to? However, that would IMO be flipping the finger to the doctors, the staff, the other patients and the taxpayers as well.

From a Rigshospitalet department page: "Smoking policy:
It is not allowed to smoke at the area of Rigshospitalet."

Hospitals used to have rooms where patients could smoke, but every hospital I know has been smoke-free for several years. Employees, patients, everybody, and I can't imagine it's different at such a leading place as Rigshospitalet. I suspect QMII's doctors politely informed Her Majesty that for her own health and safety and everyone's around her, she was going to have to do nicotine replacement for awhile.

She smoked during the first part of the interview which was five weeks prior to the operation.
There are I suppose, rooms where patients who can move about can go to smoke but I'm not sure.
But employees will have to leave the hospital entirely, if they want to smoke.
But who but a doctor will stop QMII from smoking in the room if she really wants to? However, that would IMO be flipping the finger to the doctors, the staff, the other patients and the taxpayers as well.
According to the Rigshospitalet website smoking and vaping is strictly forbidden for patients and visitors both in the hospital and outside on the hospital grounds. The only exception to that rule is five smoking areas.

Last edited:
According to the Rigshospitalet website smoking and vaping is strictly forbidden for patients and visitors with the exception of five smoking areas on the hospital grounds.

I imagine her fellow patients will be quite amused to see the Queen coming out to smoke with them, then... But she surely won't be able to do even that for a few days, if not longer. Which I imagine her doctors also advised her about.

I imagine her fellow patients will be quite amused to see the Queen coming out to smoke with them, then... But she surely won't be able to do even that for a few days, if not longer. Which I imagine her doctors also advised her about.

The Queen must have absolute rest. I don't think she can get up to go smoke.

Someone must be known to be very much addicted to smoking if after a major surgery the discussion on a royal board ends up being about the smoking policy because the patient might not be able to smoke while recovering in hospital...

It's a good bet that she's on oxygen, at least at first, so smoking would be impossible, no matter how much she complains.

Someone must be known to be very much addicted to smoking if after a major surgery the discussion on a royal board ends up being about the smoking policy because the patient might not be able to smoke while recovering in hospital...

Or because it's a well-known facet of a highly public royal figure and subject to discussion here like almost anything else? (Not that Daisy is not a huge self-admitted nicotine junkie. She is, and so naturally we wonder what happens now.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom