Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 2: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the news and seeing comments, it's my clear impression that Hansen and Nielsen on the streets are not concerned for QMII.

People hope the best, but the vast majority appear confident QMII will be fine.

The reactions can be summed up like this: Oh, she too? Had to happen. Mild symptoms? She'll be fine.

I will be very glad when she gets better.

Oh how sad, when she and everyone around her have done everything possible to keep her safe. I wish her well and hope her symptoms are not too severe. Hoping for a speedy recovery for her.

Yes I concur and wishing the queen a safe and speedy recovery.

Last edited:
She sure has.

And that's because the first Danish line on a theater was uttered on 23 September 1722 - at 17.00.
It was a translated play by Moliere.

- A Danish contemporary play-writer, Ludvig Holberg, who was very much influenced by the satirical plays by Moliere had his plays performed in Danish. That means that the ordinary Dane could go see a play in the theater and understand it. - Plays until then had been in French predominantly. Some in German and I believe some were in Latin as well.
The funny thing is that there was a translated transcript in the boxes with DRF members and senior courtiers when a Danish play was on. Because the main languages at the court was German and French.

In Denmark anno 1725 or so, German was spoken by the educated. Mainly civil servants. But also a lot of Danes, who either had German speaking relatives or who for various reasons went to Germany or had business with Germans. Every merchant would as a matter of course speak German.

French was spoken by mainly the nobility but also well educated people, because certainly up to WWI French was the international language.

Latin was spoken by the academicae. Priests, scientists, doctors and so forth.
The nobility would of course as a part of their general upbringing speak at least conversational Latin.

All of these would speak Danish. But far from all would speak Danish - or Norwegian for that matter, fluently.

Danish - and Norwegian - was for the peasants, the workers. And only being able to speak Danish marked you as an uneducated, low-born person. It was even worse if you spoke one of the dialects south of Copenhagen. That marked you as a redneck who probably only had one set of grandparents...

So when plays were suddenly written in Danish and performed in Danish for Danes it caused quite a stir!
It was no doubt a part of the Enlightenment that was the cause of a number of very revolutionary reforms of the societies in many European countries countries.

The Enlightenment deserves a full thread here, but suffice to say it came as a reaction to the many and quite barbaric wars for the 1600s. People wanted to look towards a future of learning, rational thinking, humanism, rights, free thinking and also to a considerable degree a distancing from religion.
All that culminated in the world-turning reforms of the French Revolution - and died in the Terror in the wake of that revolution.

Last edited:
Last night 28 April, the Royal Academy of Fine Arts marked the academy's 268th anniversary, and ten different visual artists and architects received a medal of honor on the occasion in the presence of Queen Margrethe

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc7gW2sjpDZ/

Sorø used to compete with Herlufsholm as a boarding school. But the school is now closed.

The fort was still active when Frederik was in the Frogman Corps. He was at some point tasked with penetrating the fort but was captured by the perimeter defense in the shape of Home Guard unit. - Frederik was not pleased! Nor I assume were his mates.
You can find that story online somewhere in connection with the Home Guard.

:previous: I think she's quite often at events at the Geo Society.

Well, I guess there are perks of being the Queen. At her age she can get to attend whatever she wants, and she has deserved that right.

:previous: I think she's quite often at events at the Geo Society.

Well, I guess there are perks of being the Queen. At her age she can get to attend whatever she wants, and she has deserved that right.

This kind of sounds more like a fit for Frederik...or is QMII patron of the Danish Geographical Society so she gets to attend these events as Patron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom