Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 2: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. :flowers:

Quite impressive!

A little disappointment for Queen Margrethe: As every year she was sheduled to attend the officers 'dinner of The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment in London this evening, but the event has been cancelled due to the Corona situation. Billedbladet reports that Queen Margrethe also won't attend a festive service celebrating the completion of the Danish church in London's restoration on Sunday. The chasuble the priest would have worn was designed by Queen Margrethe. Without the trip to London, Queen Margrethe also won't be able to enjoy her traditional Christmas shopping trip in London..

** BB article: Kongehuset bekræfter: Dronning Margrethe aflyser julerejse **

Probably wise.

She cannot help be in close contact with a lot of people at such events and even though QMII has had her booster shot, that may not be enough.

Perhaps she will invite some of the officers over for a dinner in DK instead? That has happened before IIRC.

It's not the same, but at least most of what she would probably have bought is still available online?

:previous: I think so. Not much is written here in DK about what actually goes on when she visits the regiment.

Yes, QMII usually shop in Harrods. She also usually buy (or order) an English Christmas Cake. I understand there are a number of traditions in connection with that.
A well as buying presents for her staff.

Of course I don't believe she trawls Harrods to find individual presents for all 130 or employees at the court, but it's a nice touch that she picks out the presents personally - rather than leaving it to a secretary or pick something from an online gift-shop.

BTW. We have been picking out our company-present this week.
We each got a code to a giftshop online and asked to pick a present among a number of alternatives. Fine with me! I don't drink much wine anyway and Christmas-sweets ain't good for my trim figure... That's the typical content of a traditional "Christmas-basket" that is a common present from companies.
So at home I logged on to the giftshop and asked my wife what I want for Christmas from the company.
It never occurred to me that I wanted a cake-tray from Royal Copenhagen...

:previous: I think so. Not much is written here in DK about what actually goes on when she visits the regiment.

Yes, QMII usually shop in Harrods. She also usually buy (or order) an English Christmas Cake. I understand there are a number of traditions in connection with that.
A well as buying presents for her staff.

Of course I don't believe she trawls Harrods to find individual presents for all 130 or employees at the court, but it's a nice touch that she picks out the presents personally - rather than leaving it to a secretary or pick something from an online gift-shop.

BTW. We have been picking out our company-present this week.
We each got a code to a giftshop online and asked to pick a present among a number of alternatives. Fine with me! I don't drink much wine anyway and Christmas-sweets ain't good for my trim figure... That's the typical content of a traditional "Christmas-basket" that is a common present from companies.
So at home I logged on to the giftshop and asked my wife what I want for Christmas from the company.
It never occurred to me that I wanted a cake-tray from Royal Copenhagen...

Oh okay. Then maybe just her trip to London was cancelled but not because the events she was set to attend were. Interesting the whole trip was off.

My employer had just resorted to send up gift cards where before we would have lunches, holiday parties. They really went all out for the employees during holiday time especially as a thank you for working hard during the year. Now we have happy hour via zoom!
I personally do not mind just getting a gift card lol.

Yeah, I don't know about the Corona situation in London right now. Only that it's rising all over UK.
Flying over there wouldn't be a big risk. She would probably fly with an air force Challenger. (As it so happens one Challenger is scheduled to be deployed over the Channel as a part of Frontex. The EU border patrol, so to speak. The aim being to keep an eye on migrants trying to cross the Channel in whatever flimsy crafts they can board.)
But staying at the hotel might?
And even though she would be in England on a private visit, good manners and relations would mean that she would drop by QEII or least some senior members of the BRF. Perhaps they are not that keen on having private visits here up to Christmas, given the infection risk and the fact that QEII, at least to me, appears considerably more frail.

True. In addition, maybe it could have also been an issue of optics as well. With so many countries, including UK, imposing travel bans, it may not have been a good idea to have her travel to London to mostly just go shopping. And yes, QEII has been having some health issues lately but I believe she has held some engagements. But yeah having one aging monarch traveling and then paying a possible courtesy visit to another aging monarch or even an aging Prince of Wales isn't the best idea at the moment.

Another cancellation: https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronningen-aflyser-aalborg-visit

QMII were to have attended a service in Aalborg Sunday, due to a new bishop being invested.
But the new bishop to be has been in close contact with someone who tested positive for Corona, so he is now in self-isolation. He has tested negative - but better safe than sorry...

Another cancellation: https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronningen-aflyser-aalborg-visit

QMII were to have attended a service in Aalborg Sunday, due to a new bishop being invested.
But the new bishop to be has been in close contact with someone who tested positive for Corona, so he is now in self-isolation. He has tested negative - but better safe than sorry...

Per the Royal Calendar and BB the event for December 9th at the Danish Geographical Society is also cancelled.
https://www.kongehuset.dk/kalender/...selskabs-julemoede-dansk-ekspeditionshistorie

Queen Margrethe opened the exhibition "Women and Change" at the Arken Museum of Modern Art in Ishoj today, February 4:

** rex gallery ** gtresnews gallery **

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe was present at the opening of the exhibition about the Royal Ship Dannebrog in Helsingør this afternoon, February 8:

** ppe gallery ** tt.se gallery **

Last edited:
Yes, indeed.

She did look a little frail at the event yesterday in Helsingør.
But the 90th B-day of Dannebrog is not something she would cancel, even if she had to wear her head under her arm.

A good and speedy recovery to Queen Margrethe.

This being the most dramatic news, there are several other DRF news today.
If we return to Dannebrog and the event yesterday.

QMII also met a former, well known and very treasured member of the crew - who s now stuffed.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-havde-dronning-margrethe-nok-ikke-regnet-med
The parrot Jaco. He served aboard Dannebrog from 1995-1997 and 2002-2006. Jaco became 50 years old, before flying to the big masthead in the sky.

Jacob or Jakob is a very typical name for a parrot in DK. Akin to Polly in English. Jaco is a variant.

Last edited:
Wishing the Queen a full and speedy recovery.

Assuming all goes well, would there be any effect on Kate's visit eg any rule that there's any kind of quarantine period after recovery?

Wishing the Queen a full and speedy recovery.

Assuming all goes well, would there be any effect on Kate's visit eg any rule that there's any kind of quarantine period after recovery?

I don't think so.

After all Kate is mainly here to meet and work with Mary. So if QMII is not up to it, it will Frederik who will receive the official courtesy call by Kate. (Who is saying hi to QMII on behalf of QEII.)
So the only difference would be that M&F will serve tea for Kate and have a few snaps taken, with Kate extending well wishes to QMII.
Otherwise the schedule will proceed as planned.

ADDED:

The interesting thought is what will happen, should Frederik go down with Corona, which is far from unlikely given the current infection rate. Mary as we all know have had Corona.
So with QMII a little under the weather and Frederik down, Mary may well be the only one standing, in which case she will be Rigsforstander (*) when Kate arrives.
Meaning she will receive Kate as both acting head of state as well as work-host.
The Danish protocol is not so particular in regards to how a visitor curtsy to the head of state, but will the British dictate that Kate greet Mary the same way as QMII, Mary being the acting head of state in this hypothetical example?

(*) No need to bother Benedikte, if she is even in the country. And Joachim is busy in France with the current situation in Mali, that very much involve the Danish troops deployed there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Muhler. It's awful of me but I'd completely forgotten about Frederik!

Let's hope everybody stays healthy and your wonderful Queen is there, fully recovered, to receive the congratulations and well wishes from our RF that she deserves.

Indeed.

But QMII is well enough to stay in charge.
With QMII on holiday in Norway this week and the CP family also on winter holiday, Benedikte was supposed to have been Rigsforstander this week. But QMII has decided to remain in charge. So we may safely assume her symptoms are indeed mild or relatively mild.

The announcement of QMII being tested positive late Tuesday suggests that she might have felt something during her visit or right after her visit to Helsingør yesterday. - Or alternatively Tuesday is simply one of the days where she is tested. (Unlikely IMO. Why test in the evening?)
However, being infected with Corona is of course potentially serious when you are 81. In the same way that a cold or mild flu is potentially serious.
I'm not particularly worried about QMII this next week.
I'm more concerned about her condition in ten days or so. If she avoids pneumonia or the cough afterwards she should be fine, tired but fine. And that will be it.

A speedy recovery for the Queen. Hope the symptoms are very mild.

I don't think so.

After all Kate is mainly here to meet and work with Mary. So if QMII is not up to it, it will Frederik who will receive the official courtesy call by Kate. (Who is saying hi to QMII on behalf of QEII.)
So the only difference would be that M&F will serve tea for Kate and have a few snaps taken, with Kate extending well wishes to QMII.
Otherwise the schedule will proceed as planned.

ADDED:

The interesting thought is what will happen, should Frederik go down with Corona, which is far from unlikely given the current infection rate. Mary as we all know have had Corona.
So with QMII a little under the weather and Frederik down, Mary may well be the only one standing, in which case she will be Rigsforstander (*) when Kate arrives.
Meaning she will receive Kate as both acting head of state as well as work-host.
The Danish protocol is not so particular in regards to how a visitor curtsy to the head of state, but will the British dictate that Kate greet Mary the same way as QMII, Mary being the acting head of state in this hypothetical example?

(*) No need to bother Benedikte, if she is even in the country. And Joachim is busy in France with the current situation in Mali, that very much involve the Danish troops deployed there.

Question: Would Kate not have to curtsy to Mary anyway as Mary out-ranks her? Is that not the usual protocol?

Question: Would Kate not have to curtsy to Mary anyway as Mary out-ranks her? Is that not the usual protocol?

It's not a requirement according to Danish protocol. But good form.

But being a direct representative for QEII when meeting a foreign head of state, I wonder if Kate will adhere to the BRF protocol and that, I believe, will make a deep curtsy mandatory.

It's not a requirement according to Danish protocol. But good form.

But being a direct representative for QEII when meeting a foreign head of state, I wonder if Kate will adhere to the BRF protocol and that, I believe, will make a deep curtsy mandatory.

I agree that it would be good form. I didn't know that was protocol of a deep curtsy. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom