Queen Margrethe II, Current Events Part 2: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...

The hilarious thing is that it is King Harald (fellow ex-heavy nicotiner) who once asked her at a 'family' banquet, "Daisy, when are you going to stop smoking?"

I guess we all finally have an answer! (Or she was waiting to tell him!)
That was King Carl Gustav at one of her birthday banquets.

That was King Carl Gustav at one of her birthday banquets.

You're right. Wrong royal cousin (but Harald did formerly also smoke heavily and quit).

She was 60 then. So I guess the answer is "...only two-plus decades". :flowers:

Well done to Queen Margrethe if she really has stopped smoking after decades.

I think Elizabeth's death really got to her, it says a lot about her iron will that she has stoped after almost 7 decades of smoking. Hats off to my Queen.

Bunte online, the German tabloid, reports:

https://www.bunte.de/royals/daenisc...ng-mit-83-sie-hat-das-rauchen-aufgegeben.html
(Sorry, only in German!)

Queen Margarethe II. has stopped smoking! With 83! The communications chief of the Danish Royal Court confirmed in an interview with the Danish tabloid "B.T.", that Queen Margarethe hast stopped smoking at the occasion of her back surgery.

She started smoking with 17 and was even known because of this as the "Volcano Queen".

:previous: Volcano Queen?!?

Never heard that one.

Last edited:
:previous: :flowers:

The head of Zirkus Nemo, Søren Østergaard, must be considered QMII's favorite entertainer. The humor is very wacky and not at all what you would expect an elderly and dignified monarch to love.
Zirkus Nemo is in Aarhus each year (except when there is a pandemic) around this time of year, and a sure a amen heard in church, QMII attends! And during then intermission she usually has a cup of coffee with Søren Østergaard.

:previous: Not only would it be cool (fittingly cool for QMII – certified Tolkien illustrator!) but given that many of these big Hollywood awards ceremonies are essentially popularity contests, I can't help but thinking both the Academy and its members would adore just the lore of a nominated real-life Queen – regardless of the actual quality of the costume and production design :D

I wonder if she would attend the Academy Awards if nominated...

:previous: Not only would it be cool (fittingly cool for QMII – certified Tolkien illustrator!) but given that many of these big Hollywood awards ceremonies are essentially popularity contests, I can't help but thinking both the Academy and its members would adore just the lore of a nominated real-life Queen – regardless of the actual quality of the costume and production design :D

I wonder if she would attend the Academy Awards if nominated...

I can't imagine she would make the long trip to Los Angeles for that, but who knows? It would be fun to watch!

What's even cooler, I think she could be nominated for two Academy awards. I can't wait to watch it, the trailer looks interesting.

I can't imagine QMII going to the Oscars, not even is she actually got one.

I think she would consider that inappropriate as a Monarch.

But it sure would be interesting if she did!
The protocol alone would be interesting!
She's a Majesty, a senior royal in regards to how long she's been on the throne as well as a head of state.
That she would also double the average IQ at the Oscar reception is just my little opinion. And woe betide the one who comes up with a silly remark! She's in the habit of flattening people with one sentence. :D

-----------------

Now to the Old Town in Aarhus.
It's claimed to be the oldest open air museum in the world, I don't know, it's certainly among the oldest.
Consisting of a lot of old houses brought in from all over DK it is now an affluent merchant town anno 1750-1880 or so.
That alone is a worth a visit in itself!

But in recent years they have reconstructed a couple of streets from the 70s. The includes building, cars, shops, furnitures, decoration, curtains, prams, TV sets you name it.
And as the 70s is still in living memory of a lot of people it is a crowd favorite!
Not least for parents and grandparents dragging their children/grandchildren with them. Would you imagine: Telephone boxes! Not everyone had a phone! Analogue TVs and in black and white. Ashtrays all over the place. Mopeds you had to pedal to even get started! Transistor (whatever that is) radios. Toilets down in the backyard - shared!! No showers in the apartments. People must have reeked to high heaven! They did - of cigarettes. - Total stoneage!

QMII's visit coincides with the start of the annual Cultural Week in Aarhus. Which has been around since I went to school - in the 70s...
With varying degree of success. Sometimes it's been a bit too high-culture and the organizers have forgotten to keep the folksy elements - like the much loved beer tents with (gasp!) popular music. But the organizers have learned and there are now things to cover any taste regardless of your cultural palate. Including beer and dance music for the plebs.

ADDED:
Should QMII win an Oscar and actually go and even give a speech, we would get an intelligent speech for once, perhaps even surpassing the one John Cleese gave:

Last edited:
Yeah, she probably wouldn't attend. And no chance of her staying up all night to do a transmitted appearance live from Denmark (even though the technical categories are awarded first) :D Probably more likely with a little thank you note read out by Bille August should she win, or at most a pre-recorded message.

She obviously has a previous credit to her name that didn't land her international nominations with the costume design and scenography for with De vilde svaner but I dare say with Netflix in their back, I think a nomination is within reach – even regardless of the actual quality of her work on Ehrengard.

Last edited:
I think she would enjoy the Oscars (at least with the strikes done)... On the other hand I think it is so far out of her comfort zone with majesty and protocol that it would trigger a very shy Daisy. However much fun it would be to see her there (imagine the dress and the bling!), we'll see if she ever scores the nomination first.

I can't imagine QMII going to the Oscars, not even is she actually got one.

I think she would consider that inappropriate as a Monarch.

But it sure would be interesting if she did!
The protocol alone would be interesting!
She's a Majesty, a senior royal in regards to how long she's been on the throne as well as a head of state.
That she would also double the average IQ at the Oscar reception is just my little opinion. And woe betide the one who comes up with a silly remark! She's in the habit of flattening people with one sentence. :D

She would actually sit waaaaayyy in the back -- the costume and scenic design folks aren't generally celebrities, so they don't get the great seats. That's Oscars protocol for you.

Totally agree that she could put someone away with a single sentence, although most celebs these days seem so self-involved (and dim) that they might not notice.

Agree with the notion that a "thanks" from Bille August would be the preferred option.

Time to close this thread. The new one can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom