Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece: May 24-26, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wartenberg7 said:
Despite the pretty photographs it is still a horrible appeal to me that
the royal couple is received by a republican president, instead of their
sister and brother-in-law!

Such is the world of political change.

Perhaps the media were not allowed at the Banquet, who knows...only time shall tell.

Apparently HM the Queen wore the Baden Palmette Tiara, as seen below.

Source: Getty Images
e1d66ca4.jpg

"MII"

Last edited:
Queen of Denmark Margrethe observes a statue inside the Danish institute in Athens May 25, 2006.

#1-2: Polfoto
#3: Getty images

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 315
  • 71040144.jpg
    71040144.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Such an elegant lady - BUT: what is it about her teeth?... Can't she see how ugly and unappetizing they are?

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
I wonder how King Constatine feels about this trip? Do we have any Greek members who can report on the publicity and the reception of the Greek hosts for Her Majesty and HRH?

And I love the blue..she looks great!
Was just thinking the same!! Looking at these wonderful pictures, I have to wonder what, privately, Margarethe is thinking of this visit: after all, her own sister used to be Queen of Greece! Ana Marie was in fact the last quee Greece ever had, and was of course unceremoniously kicked out with her spouse Constantine in the late sixties..

Sure that's a long time ago, but still..wonder how, privately, this visit was discussed with Constantine. But otoh, didn't Constantine's sister, Sophia queen of Spain, also officially visit Greece awhile back with king JC?

Margrethe II said:
Such is the world of political change.

Perhaps the media were not allowed at the Banquet, who knows...only time shall tell.

Apparently HM the Queen wore the Baden Palmette Tiara, as seen below.

Source: Getty Images
e1d66ca4.jpg

"MII"
Wow she looks just incredible! And the tiara, never seen it before, it looks like it's straight out of a fairy tale!

And as for her teeth...what I like about Margarethe is that she seems to be a "what you see is what you get" kindof woman. she is what and who she is and is unapologetic about it. Unlike some queens who are rumored to have had a nip and tuck here and there, Margarethe is accepting her age and seems not afraid to grow old naturally (pretty brave if you have to do that while being in the public eye).

princess olga said:
Wow she looks just incredible! And the tiara, never seen it before, it looks like it's straight out of a fairy tale!

And as for her teeth...what I like about Margarethe is that she seems to be a "what you see is what you get" kindof woman. she is what and who she is and is unapologetic about it. Unlike some queens who are rumored to have had a nip and tuck here and there, Margarethe is accepting her age and seems not afraid to grow old naturally (pretty brave if you have to do that while being in the public eye).

Well - I don't think accepting one's age and not remember to brush one's teeth is the same thing...

To me Her majesty is every inch an elegant, dignified and lovely woman and I'm very proud to be her subject. But - I think it's a shame that her teeth gets all the attention from her other qualities... That's all!

Queen Margrethe II, right, speaks with Greek Prime Minister Costas Caramanlis on Wednesday, May 25, 2006
and other images

from polfoto and anp

Attachments

• ImageHandlerServlet.jpeg
    ImageHandlerServlet.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 323
  • 3133623.jpg
    3133623.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 3133661.jpg
    3133661.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 305
  • 3133660.jpg
    3133660.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 3133620.jpg
    3133620.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 3133613.jpg
    3133613.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
fanletizia said:
Greek President Carolos Papoulias (R) and Queen of Denmark Margarethe II (C) inspect the Greek Presidential guard during the official welcome ceremony in Athens 24 May 2006. The Danish royal couple arrived in Greece for a three-day official state visit

from getty

Light blue clothes for the visit to Greece? Oh, Your Majesty ;)!!

princess olga said:

I hope I have not misinformed you princess olga.

The above photohgraph is not from the Greek State Visit but from one of the Norwegian Royal Weddings, I believe. The aim of the photograph was to show the Baden Palmette Tiara for those who had not seen it before.

Unfortunately, still no pictures from the State Banquet :(

"MII"

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik were originally scheduled to have an extended private visit to Greece, after the official state-visit. But:
Margrethe is leaving early because of her knee.

The Queen's visit to Greece interrupted because of knee surgery.

Queen Margrethe is going home after the official visit to Greece, for surgery on her left knee.

"I am going home to get a new knee. It's about time that I'll get it fixed," said the Queen at a press conference.

"It also means that I'll cut drastically down on my duties iin June, and transfer them to Crown Prince Frederik and the Prince Consort."

The surgery will take place at Århus Municipal hospital, but it was not known on Thursday if the Queen will go directly from Greece to the hospital.

The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone, now.

"It would have been lovely, if we could have sailed together for five or six days," said Prince Henrik
From Politiken.dk, translated by me.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik were originally scheduled to have an extended private visit to Greece, after the official state-visit. But:
Quote:
Margrethe is leaving early because of her knee.

The Queen's visit to Greece interrupted because of knee surgery.

Queen Margrethe is going home after the official visit to Greece, for surgery on her left knee.

"I am going home to get a new knee. It's about time that I'll get it fixed," said the Queen at a press conference.

"It also means that I'll cut drastically down on my duties iin June, and transfer them to Crown Prince Frederik and the Prince Consort."

The surgery will take place at Århus Municipal hospital, but it was not known on Thursday if the Queen will go directly from Greece to the hospital.

The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone, now.

"It would have been lovely, if we could have sailed together for five or six days," said Prince Henrik

From Politiken.dk, translated by me.

17. May - Norway's National Day. 2006-thread

Oh no my depest fear has come to be a reality....My queen are going to
be in surgery with her knee.. Thankfully it will bee taken care of the best doktor in Aarhus.

Last edited:
Thanks for that norwegianne, i hope her knee feels better soon. One of the worst things is to be in pain or sick while in a foreign country.

Athens, GREECE: Queen Margrethe II and Prince Consort Henrik of Denmark (L) give a press conference on the Danish Royal yacht Dannebrog 25 May 2006, in Athens.

from getty

Attachments

• 71047116.jpg
    71047116.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 348
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 401
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 544
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for those pictures. Queen Margarethe looks great for her age.

The photos are beautiful!! But i hate that watermarks!! :mad:
Thanks, fanletizia! ;)

Great pictures! :)
The Queen looks fantastic!

Did the Queen recycle her Gala dress? It looked so well-known to me. :confused:

im hope she will getting ready for surgery of her knee oh wow who will with her side CP Fred and Prince Joachim? and husband also

The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone,

does this mean he's not going to be with her for her surgery!!!!!

sara1981 said:
im hope she will getting ready for surgery of her knee oh wow who will with her side CP Fred and Prince Joachim? and husband also

Well, if post no. 44 is to be believed her husband would prefer to sail, rather than be by her side. Not that I blame him...sailing around the Greek isles in THAT yacht...I'd ditch anybody! :rolleyes: I'm sure he has confidence in the surgeons back home.

I have always admired the Queen's - "like me as I am" type of attitude. That is inner strength and I think that she has that in an abundance. I absolutle love the way she has grace and can still laugh at the same time. I hate to say this but Mary has "HUGE" shoes to fill and still many things that she can learn from her mother-in-law.

Sophus said:
Well - I don't think accepting one's age and not remember to brush one's teeth is the same thing...

To me Her majesty is every inch an elegant, dignified and lovely woman and I'm very proud to be her subject. But - I think it's a shame that her teeth gets all the attention from her other qualities... That's all!

She is a lovely woman, but I think she smokes and it discolors her teeth. Too bad. She is gracious and striking. As far as not being greeted by her brother-inlaw, etc, Greece is a Republic, the Greek people have chosen to have this form of government and it is certainly not anyone else place to criticize that.

princess gertrude said:
I hate to say this but Mary has "HUGE" shoes to fill and still many things that she can learn from her mother-in-law.

Mary will not be Monarch...Frederik has many things to learn from his mother in that respect, not the Crown Princess. Mary shall be Frederik's respective consort, and yes, Mary would no doubt be taking notice of how Margrethe handles herself, but as for saying that Mary has big shoes to fill... that's for Frederik :)

If you had have said Queen Ingrid, well then, that's a different story!

"MII"

Last edited:
From Polfoto

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 352
Queen Margrethe visits Thessalonikis Byzantinske Museum

from polfoto

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 302
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark admires a golden wreath and case during her visit to the royal grave of Fillippos, ancient King of Macedonia, and the museum of Vergina, north of Thessaloniki 26 May 2006.

from getty

Attachments

• 71060449.jpg
    71060449.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 351
  • 71060466.jpg
    71060466.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 308
bbb said:
The official programme for the visit ends Friday, and after that, it was intended that the Queen and Prince Henrik were going to vacation together for a few days, at the royal yacht, Dannebrog. The Prince will do that alone,

does this mean he's not going to be with her for her surgery!!!!!

Yes it is tru that he won´t be ther when Queen Margrethe are in surgery...but what in the world is he going to do in the surgeryroom :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think that he and Queen Margrethe had a long talk about it and they have come to the conclusion that ther was no reason for him to be at the hospital while she was in surgery....I think that he as a man woud be more worried if he was at the hospital.
My prayers are with my Queen and her family :( :(

H.M. Margrethe said:
Yes it is tru that he won´t be ther when Queen Margrethe are in surgery...but what in the world is he going to do in the surgeryroom :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think that he and Queen Margrethe had a long talk about it and they have come to the conclusion that ther was no reason for him to be at the hospital while she was in surgery....I think that he as a man woud be more worried if he was at the hospital.
My prayers are with my Queen and her family :( :(
It just shows that it is not as serious as the press makes it out to be IMO. Just a operation. Nothing life threathning:)

Back
Top Bottom