Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece: May 24-26, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks for the Danish to English translations you and the other Danish forum members have been posting for us, Lasse. It's a great help. :)

Toledo said:
thanks for the Danish to English translations you and the other Danish forum members have been posting for us, Lasse. It's a great help. :)

You are most welcome, I am glad to help!

Lasse Pedersen said:
According to Billed-Bladet's website, HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark will travel to Greece on the royal yacht 'Dannebrog', just as they did when they went to the Olympic Games of 2004 in Athens.

Source: http://www.billedbladet.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=3888

/Lasse Pedersen

Really...travelling by boat? I wonder why. This seems like a very round-about way of getting to a destination. Wouldn't it be much easier to just fly? Is it maybe so they have a convenient place to sleep and don't have to be a burden to their hosts(?) Does she use her yacht a lot to travel to official functions?
BTW, have they ever shown pics of the interior of the yacht?

Why would they not use the yacht if they have one? Travel is not only a matter of speed.

rchat said:
Really...travelling by boat? I wonder why. This seems like a very round-about way of getting to a destination. Wouldn't it be much easier to just fly? Is it maybe so they have a convenient place to sleep and don't have to be a burden to their hosts(?) Does she use her yacht a lot to travel to official functions?
BTW, have they ever shown pics of the interior of the yacht?

One of the reasons for the royal family of Denmark are useing the "Dannebro" is that they really like to sail.
Alot of us her in Denmark likes to sail because ther is water around our country...Since the beginning of the world the Danes have used the water to alot of diffrent things (fishing and washing ther clothes and of course sailing to other contryies and occupy them :( )

H.M. Margrethe said:
Since the beginning of the world the Danes have used the water to alot of diffrent things (fishing and washing ther clothes and of course sailing to other contryies and occupy them :( )

That's right! he he...

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides I think it is a great opportunity to catch and snap some pictures for those that live close enough to see their arrival!

Yes, I forgot about the Brittania... ashame they decommissioned it. I didn't realize the Danish RF love the water so much. Then I can understand. It's probably a more comfortable way to travel - sort of "home away from home". :)
Thanks for providing the pics Margrethe II! It looks very beautiful... and cozy at the same time. Feel free to post any more pics you have.

Yes, the "Dannebrog" seems very hyggelig!
Though more related to the ship than to the state visit, I remember a documentary in which Her Majesty gave a tour of the yacht. She was talking about the room as she suddenly looked out the window and saw a battle ship of the Danish Royal Navy. Her Majesty, clapping her hands together, cried out: "LOOK! Come look", and she ran out her study and on to the deck. When on the deck, she waved 'her boys' in the navy who had lined up on deck, saluting Her Majesty, and then Her Majesty proudly said: "That is damned fine!". It was fun to see the Queen so proud and almost childishly ecstatic.

/Lasse Pedersen

Lasse Pedersen said:
Yes, the "Dannebrog" seems very hyggelig!
Though more related to the ship than to the state visit, I remember a documentary in which Her Majesty gave a tour of the yacht. She was talking about the room as she suddenly looked out the window and saw a battle ship of the Danish Royal Navy. Her Majesty, clapping her hands together, cried out: "LOOK! Come look", and she ran out her study and on to the deck. When on the deck, she waved 'her boys' in the navy who had lined up on deck, saluting Her Majesty, and then Her Majesty proudly said: "That is damned fine!". It was fun to see the Queen so proud and almost childishly ecstatic.

/Lasse Pedersen

What a lovely story Lasse! Thanks for sharing it. Did she really swear in front of the camera? hehe... it's ok... she meant it in a positive way. ;)

rchat said:
What a lovely story Lasse! Thanks for sharing it. Did she really swear in front of the camera? hehe... it's ok... she meant it in a positive way. ;)
Yes, she did swear (using the Danish: 'fandeme'), and has done so in front of cameras before. I remember once when she was putting up a painting (or another work of art, I am not sure), and reporters were crowding her, so she said: "I cannot bloody concentrate with you standing so closely" (using the Danish 'sgu'). The reporters immediately backed off;) Her Majesty has actually admitted, in the book 'Margrethe', that her swearing becomes more frequent... but what can you expect from the daughter of a sailor?

It gives another dimension to the arrival when the Dannebrog is sighted and approaching.

Not just a boring jumbo jet on a windy airport and an ordinary line of limos ;)

Daneborn said:
It gives another dimension to the arrival when the Dannebrog is sighted and approaching.

Not just a boring jumbo jet on a windy airport and an ordinary line of limos ;)

I agree wholeheartedly!

And what a "damned" fine interior it is, too! It's so wonderful that modern technology has made the world a much smaller place - how else would we have all this (literally) at our fingertips? :p

As much as I think the blueish stripe interior is nice and sober, from what I can see on the pictures the whole furniture in all the lounge rooms are the same style. I have to say I find that a little institutional, it wouldn't harm with one room in some Laura Ashley flowerish style.

I'd like to suggest one lounge with furniture with Queen Ingrid roses in the pattern.

I really like the golden / iron bar at the stair case.

According to this press release http://www.ees.dk/5a90029 from Export Promotion Denmark, a conference called Greek-Danish Business Forum will take place in Athens from May 24 to May 26 in connection with the state visit of HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark. Thus, I think we can expect to see HRH the Prince Consort participating in a lot of export promotion!

/Lasse Pedersen

Lasse Pedersen said:
According to this press release http://www.ees.dk/5a90029 from Export Promotion Denmark, a conference called Greek-Danish Business Forum will take place in Athens from May 24 to May 26 in connection with the state visit of HM the Queen and HRH the Prince Consort of Denmark. Thus, I think we can expect to see HRH the Prince Consort participating in a lot of export promotion!

/Lasse Pedersen
Maybe he will be selling wine ;)

I will just hope for Queen Margrethe that she will take better care of her problem with her knee...I saw in an articel that she had to be drivede about 40 meters becuse of her knee..it was somthing with some paving stone if my memory is correct :confused:

H.M. Margrethe said:
I will just hope for Queen Margrethe that she will take better care of her problem with her knee...I saw in an articel that she had to be drivede about 40 meters becuse of her knee..it was somthing with some paving stone if my memory is correct :confused:

Yes, let ud hope so. Climbing the Acropolis of Athens could be a problem for Her Majesty.

NEWS from the Royal Danish Court: The Reigning Couple will stay in Greece until May 29. Thus, The Queen and The Prince Consort will visit Greece privately as well.

/Lasse Pedersen

Greek President Carolos Papoulias (R) and Queen of Denmark Margarethe II (C) inspect the Greek Presidential guard during the official welcome ceremony in Athens 24 May 2006. The Danish royal couple arrived in Greece for a three-day official state visit

from getty

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 348
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Well, doesn't she make a pretty picture? If that's the presidential couple with them on the red carpet, then they must be the most sullen-looking folk. They look like they've missed their lunch and are not happy about it...:rolleyes:

Queen Margrethe, right, and Greek Culture Minister Giorgos Voulgarakis speak during a lunch at the Ileana Tounta Art Gallery in Athens on Wednesday, May 24, 2006.

Queen Margrethe, right, and Prince Henrik, left, listen to Katerina Gregos Curator of Danish Exhibition at the Ileana Tounta Art Gallery in Athens, Wednesday, May 24, 2006

and images of other activities

from polfoto

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 377
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 339
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 317
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
More images from getty

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 310
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 337
QM looks lovely, such a pretty color blue - love the hat

State visit very important for Danish Royal Family and Greek Government

Queen Margrethe II (C) and her husband prince Henrik (L) talk with Greek President Carolos Papoulias (R) during their meeting at the Presidential Mansion in Athens, Wednesday 24 May 2006

from anp

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 251
I wonder how King Constatine feels about this trip? Do we have any Greek members who can report on the publicity and the reception of the Greek hosts for Her Majesty and HRH?

And I love the blue..she looks great!

Aaaaaaaaaargh! :mad:

I know it's a pretty "restrained" (or just plain strained) visit, esp. as far as the Greek media is concerned, but WHY ARE THERE NO BANQUET PICS, yet???? Been looking everywhere...:(

Despite the pretty photographs it is still a horrible appeal to me that
the royal couple is received by a republican president, instead of their
sister and brother-in-law!

Back
Top Bottom