Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece: May 24-26, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik's State Visit to Greece; May 24th-26th, 2006

Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort will begin a three day visit to Greece by invitation from president Karolos Papoulias.
It will take place from 24 to 26 of May.
Please post the news and pictures of this visit in this thread :)

Wow! A Danish State Visit to Greece. Very intresting. I wonder how they will be received. They are not the most well liked people in Greece. Glad they are on good terms though.

Princejohnny25 said:
Wow! A Danish State Visit to Greece. Very intresting. I wonder how they will be received. They are not the most well liked people in Greece. Glad they are on good terms though.

Interesting comment "PJ25"

I take it you mean because of the immediate family ties with the deposed Hellenic House of Glucksburg?

"MII"

Princejohnny25 said:

I don't think the DRF isn't liked in Greece, they are like any other RF to the greeks; but what I do believe is that QMII holds a "grudge" against the greeks for what they do to her baby sister, this is I think the first state visit she does to Greece (correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes: ) in more than 30 years of her reign so that's saying something.

And btw Anne Marie is not nearly as hated as her husband is in Greece;)

crisiñaki said:
I don't think the DRF isn't liked in Greece, they are like any other RF to the greeks; but what I do believe is that QMII holds a "grudge" against the greeks for what they do to her baby sister, this is I think the first state visit she does to Greece (correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes: ) in more than 30 years of her reign so that's saying something.

I agree. I don't think the Danish Royal Family aren't liked in Greece...I think that, to the Greeks, they are just a foreign royal family.

However, as for whether or not HM the Queen has an issue with the Greek state, I guess only she and her confidant(e)'s know.

As for it being the first State Visit, I myself am not sure but I do know that the invitation must come from the country that is to be visited so if infact HM the Queen has not made a State Visit to the Hellenic Republic it is because the Greek Government has not extended the invitation. No one can surmise that the Queen has an issue with Greece based purely on the fact that she has not visited the country "officially".

No doubt she has her thoughts on the abolishment of the monarchy...who doesn't? And yes, the issue was brought close to home considering it involved her family first & foremost. But, I couldn't (and wouldn't) say whether or not Margrethe has a grudge...If she did, do you think she would be going, even if after all this time? Obliged yes, but could still have turned down the invitation as a statement of support to her brother in-law and sister. It would have caused a serious diplomatic stalemate but nonetheless it could have happend.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
I agree. I don't think the Danish Royal Family aren't liked in Greece...I think that, to the Greeks, they are just a foreign royal family.

However, as for whether or not HM the Queen has an issue with the Greek state, I guess only she and her confidant(e)'s know.

As for it being the first State Visit, I myself am not sure but I do know that the invitation must come from the country that is to be visited so if infact HM the Queen has not made a State Visit to the Hellenic Republic it is because the Greek Government has not extended the invitation. No one can surmise that the Queen has an issue with Greece based purely on the fact that she has not visited the country "officially".

No doubt she has her thoughts on the abolishment of the monarchy...who doesn't? And yes, the issue was brought close to home considering it involved her family first & foremost. But, I couldn't (and wouldn't) say whether or not Margrethe has a grudge...If she did, do you think she would be going, even if after all this time? Obliged yes, but could still have turned down the invitation as a statement of support to her brother in-law and sister. It would have caused a serious diplomatic stalemate but nonetheless it could have happend.

"MII"

I just love your posts, yo write in a very elegant way even if you don't agree with other people's opinions;)

Let's just agree to disagree ok?:) :cool:

crisiñaki said:
I just love your posts, yo write in a very elegant way even if you don't agree with other people's opinions;)

Let's just agree to disagree ok?:) :cool:

That's very nice of you to say crisiñaki :eek: ...I do believe however that there are some on this very forum who strongly disagree with your kind sentiments ;) :D

Agree to disagree you ask? It would be my pleasure, my dear ;) :)

"MII"

Margrethe II said:

"MII"

Queen Margrethe did state in an interview before she went to Greece for the Athens Olympics that she had previously refused to visit the country while her sister and brother-in-law were in dispute with the Greek government over the restitution of their properties. Eventually their case was settled in the European Courts in 2003? 2002? and they received compensation rather than the return of the properties which is what they were after. The settlement of this dispute then left the path clear for Margrethe to visit Greece as an individual ( for the Athens Olympics) rather than as a Head of State for the first time since the 1960's when she visited her sister.
This visit is quite historic as it's the first visit by the Danish Head of State since the 1960s. ( Either invitations were not issued in the past as it was known Margrethe would refuse them, or she had refused but this information was kept private)

Margrethe II said:
I agree. I don't think the Danish Royal Family aren't liked in Greece...I think that, to the Greeks, they are just a foreign royal family. However, as for whether or not HM the Queen has an issue with the Greek state, I guess only she and her confidant(e)'s know.MII"
The person who held a grudge against the Greeks would in my guess probably be the late queen Ingrid. When Anne Marie and Constantine did not attend the wedding between Margrethe and Henri, it is said that Queen Ingrid hung up portraits of the Greek royals just everywhere the wedding party was to ensure that Anne Marie and Constantine 'were there'. QMII may have been influenced by her mother's view, but I agree with you that nobody can really know whether QMII has personally held a grudge against the Greek state in all these years. Somehow I would expect that she hasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlotte1 said:
Queen Margrethe did state in an interview before she went to Greece for the Athens Olympics that she had previously refused to visit the country while her sister and brother-in-law were in dispute with the Greek government over the restitution of their properties. Eventually their case was settled in the European Courts in 2003? 2002? and they received compensation rather than the return of the properties which is what they were after. The settlement of this dispute then left the path clear for Margrethe to visit Greece as an individual ( for the Athens Olympics) rather than as a Head of State for the first time since the 1960's when she visited her sister.
This visit is quite historic as it's the first visit by the Danish Head of State since the 1960s. ( Either invitations were not issued in the past as it was known Margrethe would refuse them, or she had refused but this information was kept private)

Well, dear folk...here you have it ;) :)

Many thanks to Charlotte1 for providing us with this very interesting information. Are you able to provide us with the source?

re, the invitations...

Official invitations are and have always been issued ;)

Protocol, protocol, protocol... :D

"MII"

UserDane said:
The person who held a grudge against the Greeks would in my guess probably be the late queen Ingrid. When Anne Marie and Constantine did not attend the wedding between Margrethe and Henri, it is said that Queen Ingrid hung up portraits of the Greek royals just everywhere the wedding party was to ensure that Anne Marie and Constantine 'were there'. QMII may have been influenced by her mother's view, but I agree with you that nobody can really know whether QMII has personally held a grudge against the Greek state in all these years. Somehow I would expect that she hasn't.

Interesting UserDane, and again, thanks for your contribution to discussion.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HM the Queen Mother Ingrid did infact feel some sort of disgust for the Greek government. Understandable of course given the circumstances.
"MII"

Margrethe II said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HM the Queen Mother Ingrid did infact feel some sort of disgust for the Greek government. Understandable of course given the circumstances.
"MII"

Well I think I would do the same if something like that happened to one of my children and my baby daughter to boot, no wonder why Queen Ingrid wasn't very fond of the Greek government:rolleyes: ;)

Margrethe II said:

"MII"
My pleasure Margrethe II - it's an interesting discussion :)
I'm still undecided as to QMII's true feelings toward the Greek goverment. She must naturally have an stance due to her family ties, but at the same time she has a role to fulfil as well as a representative of Denmark.
The only time I wondered whether she was 'demonstrating' something was when she held the celebrations of Anne Marie's and Constantine's silver wedding. It was a quite large affair, held at Kronborg Castle -which is normally not used for this sort of celebrations and which is definitely not updated to this. It was quite remarkable - definitely celebrations for a 'king and queen' :p

UserDane said:
My pleasure Margrethe II - it's an interesting discussion :) I'm still undecided as to QMII's true feelings toward the Greek goverment. She must naturally have an stance due to her family ties, but at the same time she has a role to fulfil as well as a representative of Denmark.
The only time I wondered whether she was 'demonstrating' something was when she held the celebrations of Anne Marie's and Constantine's silver wedding. It was a quite large affair, held at Kronborg Castle -which is normally not used for this sort of celebrations and which is definitely not updated to this. It was quite remarkable - definitely celebrations for a 'king and queen' :p
I agree "UD", Really...Kronborg Castle? Quite the celebration fit for a sovereign and his consort ;)
crisiñaki
Well I think I would do the same if something like that happened to one of my children and my baby daughter to boot, no wonder why Queen Ingrid wasn't very fond of the Greek government.
Always a pleasure to read your posts crisiñaki :)
"to boot"....lol. wonderfully said!
"MII"

She is travelling to Greece on the Royal Yacht is she not, and if she is to have a reception there for the greek president there, it is nothing that can prevent her from decorating the ship with pictures of her sister and brother in law in full regalia:p

I read that when Spain hosted the first greek statevisit after Sofias brother was kicked out she, who usually only wears smal tiaras for presidentail visit, took out her biggest grandest tiara she only uses for some royal state visits and her highest greek order, and quite snappishly told the President who tried to explain her something about her brother that he was speaking to the Queen of Spain now. I wish I could find a source for the story...

I do not think those vounds are copletely grown in the closest family

But can Margrethe really have denied going on a state visit to Greece for so many years, if the Danish goverment wanted a visit she would have to go would she not?

Last edited:
Larzen said:
She is travelling to Greece on the Royal Yacht is she not, and if she is to have a reception there for the greek president there, it is nothing that can prevent her from decorating the ship with pictures of her sister and brother in law in full regalia:p

I read that when Spain hosted the first greek statevisit after Sofias brother was kicked out she, who usually only wears smal tiaras for presidentail visit, took out her biggest grandest tiara she only uses for some royal state visits and her highest greek order, and quite snappishly told the President who tried to explain her something that he was speaking to the Queen of Spain now.

I do not think those vounds are copletely grown in the closest family

But can Margrethe really deny going on a state visit to Greece, if the Danish goverment want a visit she will have to go wont she?

The greek president who went to Spain was the same person that kicked Constantine out of the country so no wonder why Sofia snapped at him; those royals really can have revenge in the most elegant ways:cool: :D

crisiñaki said:
The greek president who went to Spain was the same person that kicked Constantine out of the country so no wonder why Sofia snapped at him; those royals really can have revenge in the most elegant ways:cool: :D

I know...don't you just love it!!!

I bet HM would have been quite the intimidating presence..God love Sofia, heaven's knows I do!

"MII"

Larzen said:
But can Margrethe really have denied going on a state visit to Greece for so many years, if the Danish goverment wanted a visit she would have to go would she not?

It depends probably on the way the Royal head of state conducts his/her business with the head of the government. AFAIK, the European monarchs have managed to influence the government through their personalities even if they don't have the right to do so anymore (eg. Carl XVI. Gustaf of Sweden, wo is not even the souverain anymore - that's the people now after the last change of the constitution).

Thus, I don't think a Danish government would ask the queen to go if it is known that HM does not want to. Even if it was one of her duties and she should have to go.

Or can anyone imaging the prime minister of the Netherlands asking something of queen Beatrix when it is clear that the queen does not want to do it and does not consider it to be necessary? Queen Elizabeth surely is as well able to "freeze" such a head of "her" government if she is not amused.

Margrethe II said:
Well, dear folk...here you have it ;) :)
Many thanks to Charlotte1 for providing us with this very interesting information. Are you able to provide us with the source?
re, the invitations...
Official invitations are and have always been issued ;)
Protocol, protocol, protocol... :D "MII"
Check the newspaper archives, ( the good ones are online) Margrethe has spoken more than once about not going to Greece. An other earlier occasion she said she wouldn't visit Greece when her sister and brother-in-law were not allowed to enter Greece. This is going back to the '70s and '80s. Anne-Marie and Constantine received special permission to go to Greece for a few hours for the funeral of Queen Frederika in 1981. For many years they were banned from entering Greece. Then they had the dispute with the Greek government over their former properties.

As far as prior invitations being issued for an official trip to Greece, feel free to post when they were issued. I think you'll find that Margrethe and Henrik visited Greece after their wedding in 1967 and have never been there since.(or were due to go and then cancelled, I'm relying on memory here!) That's why this visit is historic, it's the normalisation of relations between the Republic of Greece and the Danish monarchy.

Charlotte1 said:
I think you'll find that Margrethe and Henrik visited Greece after their wedding in 1967 and have never been there since.(or were due to go and then cancelled, I'm relying on memory here!)

As far as I remember, the then newly weds cancelled and went to Turkey instead. I believe to have read so in "Margrethe".

/Lasse Pedersen

UserDane said:
My pleasure Margrethe II - it's an interesting discussion :)
I'm still undecided as to QMII's true feelings toward the Greek goverment. She must naturally have an stance due to her family ties, but at the same time she has a role to fulfil as well as a representative of Denmark.

Actually I think it was Queen Ingrid who was hosting that party for Anne-Marie and Constantine - as sort of a kick-back to the government for when she hadn't been allowed to invite her youngest daughter to her oldest daughter's wedding.

Margrethe II said:
I know...don't you just love it!!!

I bet HM would have been quite the intimidating presence..God love Sofia, heaven's knows I do!

"MII"

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that gala:D :cool:

The Queen and Greece have not been on freindly terms for a while and that suprised me. There was that fuss made when she wanted to attend the olympics but that was resolved and now she is making a State Visit. Hopefully they are letting bygones be bygones. This was one of the few times when Margareth showed her real power and presence.

Princejohnny25 said:
The Queen and Greece have not been on freindly terms for a while and that suprised me. There was that fuss made when she wanted to attend the olympics but that was resolved and now she is making a State Visit. Hopefully they are letting bygones be bygones. This was one of the few times when Margareth showed her real power and presence.

Well what happened with Sofia and Margrethe is called the power of the women scorned when their families are messed with, I just shake just to think of either one as an enemy:eek: :eek: :D

Charlotte1 said:
Anne-Marie and Constantine received special permission to go to Greece for a few hours for the funeral of Queen Frederika in 1981. For many years they were banned from entering Greece. Then they had the dispute with the Greek government over their former properties.

This I already know :)

I can't help but feel that you thought I was having a dig at you...I wasn't!

"MII"

norwegianne said:
Actually I think it was Queen Ingrid who was hosting that party for Anne-Marie and Constantine - as sort of a kick-back to the government for when she hadn't been allowed to invite her youngest daughter to her oldest daughter's wedding.

It may have been Ingrid who worked behind the scenes; I just seem to remember the talk about QMII giving this grand party for her little sister. QMII being the regent, I assumed that she was officially hosting it. But the celebrations may very well have been planned by both queens.

Margrethe II said:
This I already know :)

I can't help but feel that you thought I was having a dig at you...I wasn't!

"MII"

I didn't think you were having a dig at me. I remembered more information on why Margrethe wouldn't visit Greece and so I posted it. She never made a secret of her disproval of the way the Greek government in the past had treated her sister and brother-in-law and her reluctance to visit Greece in any capacity until the situation had been resolved. Which it has now.

( Not a specifice reply to MII, just general stuff)

It wouldn't matter is the Danneborg is plastered with photos of AM and Constantine as the relations of the former Greek royals and the Republic of Greece has become quite cordial. At the time of the Athens Olympics the President of the Greek Republic invited Constantine and his family to a private visit to the Presidential Palace ( which had been their former home).

But going back to that visit to Spain by the former Greek President, Queen Sofia not only wore a grand tiara but she also made a point of wearing a Greek Order ( a royalist one) Normally she would have worn a Spanish one, and I don't think she's wore a Greek order since. She made her point at the meeting!

Charlotte1 said:
I didn't think you were having a dig at me. I remembered more information on why Margrethe wouldn't visit Greece and so I posted it. She never made a secret of her disproval of the way the Greek government in the past had treated her sister and brother-in-law and her reluctance to visit Greece in any capacity until the situation had been resolved. Which it has now.

( Not a specifice reply to MII, just general stuff)

No, I dont mean your first post of discussion but your second...still, thank you for clarifying.

"MII"

Charlotte1 said:
But going back to that visit to Spain by the former Greek President, Queen Sofia not only wore a grand tiara but she also made a point of wearing a Greek Order ( a royalist one) Normally she would have worn a Spanish one, and I don't think she's wore a Greek order since.

I'm sorry I'm late with this discussion and hope you don't mind my putting in my two cents' worth.

On the topic above, normally the Queen would NOT wear a Spanish order but that which has been conferred on her/her husband by her guest, and vice versa (being the protocol at any state dinner anywhere). I would be very amazed if she also chose an out-of-date order as it is not a personal occasion but a state one, and that could lead to major repercussions, diplomatically.

As for Queen Margrethe, she may well have personal feelings on Greece but I don't think she would put that above her nation's interests. What we also have to bear in mind is that the Greeks had sentiments, too. Coupled with the fact that they had been through some very unsettled times (puttint it mildly), surely it was more prudent to let the embers die down completely before putting the Queen at risk from possible protestors, or risking her presence igniting some "passions".

And as for her preferring her sons to marry foreigners, I think it's just the way things will eventually go in any country. It gives the princes (or princesses, for that matter) a chance for someone to get to know the "real them" - back in their country, it's every girl's dream and that would cloud their judgement. Mary had no idea who it was that bought her that drink in the "Slip-in" bar, so she got to know Frederick, not the crown Prince.

Hope I'm not too boring...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom