Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to be pedantic and bit off topic, but Prince Philip's descendants will carry the surname Windsor-Mountbatten, when applicable, and Prince Daniel actually took the name of his wife. He is registered as Daniel Olaf Westling Bernadotte, with Westling as his middle name .

When you marry a queen consort the reality is that your children are not going to carry your name. Or at least not as the official one. Philip faced this when his kids are Windsors and not Mountbattans. Claus knew his sons would be Orange-Nassau's and not vonAmsburgs. Daniel's kids with Vic are Bernadottes and not Westlings.

That is not true. The male lineage descendants from Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip also have the name Mountbatten-Windsor. The male lineage descendants of Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus also have the name (Van Oranje-Nassau) van Amsberg. The male lineage descendants from Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik have the name Af Monpezat. Note that Daniel's surname has been changed into Westling Bernadotte. Somehow this surname is forgotten in the style of his daughter but maybe that will be repaired, to avoid confusion with the real Bernadottes.

Not to be pedantic and bit off topic, but Prince Philip's descendants will carry the surname Windsor-Mountbatten, when applicable, and Prince Daniel actually took the name of his wife. He is registered as Daniel Olaf Westling Bernadotte, with Westling as his middle name .

That is the right thing to do (Mountbatten-Windsor) and hopefully they will "repair" the surname of Estelle into Westling Bernadotte too.

Note that the so-called "800 years old Grimaldi dynasty" was effectively the House De Goyon de Matignon from 1731 until 1949 and that since then the "Grimaldis" are in fact a cadet branch of the current Ducal House De Polignac.

Last edited by a moderator:
For centuries the patrineal line has been followed in e-ve-ry genealogical tree but suddenly now we must ignore history and turn a blind eye to reality. As a monarchy is a form of state in which the heir is delivered via hereditary succession inside an approved marriage, we can not erase history simply because it is 2016.(snip)

We cannot erase history, but we do not have to blindly follow the rules that were applied in the past. We can change the rules, and thus change the traditions, and in future the new rules will be the traditions and the older rules will be viewed as we now view rules such as those which applied under the Feudal system.

I think the most important person in PH's world is... (drum-roll) PH himself.

Don't get me wrong, it's not malice, probably not even a grandiose perception of himself. That's just the way his character was formed and how he has seen himself all his life.
I could write about 8.000 words about why I think so.
To be brief: I've met such people before, very up close actually.
It's not malice, not even selfishness. It's a kind of self-absorbment. A person like PH has huge problems comprehending that the he isn't the most important person in the room (despite trivialities like protocol, which he will go along with because "it's just for show") at any time.
To him this is natural thing, a matter of fact and he cannot understand why other people don't share his own view of himself.
That means the criticism and what he will see as lack of acknowledgement genuinely hurts!
And when he doesn't get the attention he truly believe he deserves, he will sulk and whine.

In short: I believe PH see himself as the most important character in the show that is his life.
There are others who have realized that we are only extras in the big show or at best supporting cast to the main character, our wife. :p
And I believe Frederik, just like his grandfather Frederik IX, is perfectly contend and indeed happy with the supporting role as husband to Mary.
It's certainly the impression I get when you see them together.

Thus ends this short venture into the realm of psychology. :)

What great insight and it reminded me of the ex I was married to for way to long, he was the most important person in the world to himself, and thought everyone should think the same.......I sure gave him a run on that issue....:lol:

Don't get me wrong, it's not malice, probably not even a grandiose perception of himself. That's just the way his character was formed and how he has seen himself all his life.
It's not malice, not even selfishness. It's a kind of self-absorbment. A person like PH has huge problems comprehending that the he isn't the most important person in the room (despite trivialities like protocol, which he will go along with because "it's just for show") at any time.
To him this is natural thing, a matter of fact and he cannot understand why other people don't share his own view of himself.
That means the criticism and what he will see as lack of acknowledgement genuinely hurts!
And when he doesn't get the attention he truly believe he deserves, he will sulk and whine.

In short: I believe PH see himself as the most important character in the show that is his life.
There are others who have realized that we are only extras in the big show or at best supporting cast to the main character, our wife. :p
And I believe Frederik, just like his grandfather Frederik IX, is perfectly contend and indeed happy with the supporting role as husband to Mary.

You describe a narcissist very well. It is actually a diagnosis, narcissist personality disorder or npd

I don't see what the deal with mans name is? I mean, yes it was done before.. But at least here in Sweden the couple sit down and decide what name their future family will have. Yes, it's still statistically more the mans name, but very often the womans or even an older family name here. I mean, it's just a name. And if it is such an outrage for a man not to give his name to a child, why not the same outrage that a woman cant give it? It's as much her child!

That's not my impression of Henrik. I think he is less self-absorbed than his wife (latest example: Smoking next to her grandchildren) or 2nd son (latest example: when Joachim appears in Tivoli everybody else has to step aside).
When I read all the nasty comments about him I think Henrik probably has the right to feel not appreciated enough. I wonder what he had to experience that turned him into a disappointed man.

Frederik just like his grandfather Frederik IX knows that he is the higher ranking, the future king and does not have a supporting role at all, and his wife is only in the limelight because she married him. Mary may be more important for the tabloids but Frederik (X) will be more important in history books. His study will be preserved in the museum, not hers.
It's a totally different story for Henrik. He knows he is an extra in Margrethes big show and as it seems only noticed when he is not there. He made the same mistake like Frederik, he was too honest about his feelings. And this is now used against him as if all he did in the last years was to complain that he can't be king.

We are getting off-topic here - this is about Henrik's retirement, not descent through the female line or the British RF's naming customs (which have has its own thread in the British Forum - some specific posts have been moved there) or the name "fixing" of female heirs.

Further discussion on topics other than the Danish Prince Consort's retirement will be either deleted or moved by the moderating team. If you wish to continue the overall discussion of female line descent and naming, you a more than welcome to open a thread in the General Royal Discussion forum.

Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #01, 2016.

Billed Bladet speculates, because that is basically what it is, that PH will spend considerably more time in France, where he has a number of relatives. Not to mention Chateau Cayx. (The Danish winter has never been his cup of tea anyway).
BB also speculates that he will now be able to find more time to be with his grandchildren. - (Since he has been semi-retired for a couple of years I don't think there will be that big a difference).

Joachim however has talked about his father's retirement when he at some point went outside on New Years Eve (*): "I honestly believe it's well-deserved. He is 81 and by then it's alright to retire a bit.
I have of course known about it for some time, because we have been talking about it within the family... and we all support his decision".

Joachim also comments on QMII fumbling a little with the sheets when she gave her New Year speech: "Yes, she's definitely been a bit nervous. It's after all something that affects her deeply, because my father has always been a big support for her. And that he will continue to be... behind the scenes. They have a good sparring-partnership and that doesn't stop. But it's really well-deserved that he can now cut down on his work a bit".

(*) He and our Marie, along with his four children celebrated New Years Eve with Henriette and Peter Steenstrup and Britt and Oscar Siesbye.

Last edited:
The DRF has a tendency not to comment on personal issues and very rarely "allow" those close to the DRF to speak about personal issues.

But PH's retirement differs from that line. In fact quite a few of people very close to the DRF have commented about PH's retirement.

They include, apart from Joachim, Christian Kjær and in this article a former LiW and very close friend of the DRF, Camilla Carstenskiold (noble family).
All three mentioned here say pretty much the same thing and I cannot help wondering whether this is a deliberate PR-strategy. - That in itself is unusual IMO.

Dronning Margrethes hofdame: Derfor smed hun Henriks pensions-bombe i nytårstalen - Royale | www.bt.dk

Here is what Camilla Carstenskiold has to say in regards to QMII announcing PH's retirement in her New Year speech.

"Here she took the bull by the horns and said that that how it is. Otherwise you could speculate endlessly about why he isn't there or there. That always turns out bad. If it's more a fact that he can't cope anymore. Then that's it.
I think it matters to her that he does what suits him, if she knows that he really can't cope anymore. She herself is strong and fortunately have her two children, who can help if need be. Like at the New Year Court where the young stood beside her. So you can say there is a good continuity in the whole matter".

But QMII will not retire: "She's fond of much of what she is doing. She also finds it natural. She would not feel it a natural thing to bow out. It's not in her genes. I Holland they have a tradition for it, which there isn't here (in DK). That is very evident with the Prince Consort retiring".

A few things come to mind here. Henrik has always seemed to me to be a "high maintenance' spouse. Normally when one of the spouses is high maintenance, it's the female, but not in this case. It's all Henrik.

I also think he'll be back as soon as he realizes that life in the Denmark and the Danish court will go on without him.

It really does seem to be about him being in control and doing the things he enjoys. Joachim or Frederik have shown they are quite capable of hosting hunts. I'm hoping he will prove me wrong by being there for QM in a supportive way as well at significant events.

A few things come to mind here. Henrik has always seemed to me to be a "high maintenance' spouse. Normally when one of the spouses is high maintenance, it's the female, but not in this case. It's all Henrik.

I also think he'll be back as soon as he realizes that life in the Denmark and the Danish court will go on without him.

Prince Henrik is not at all a high maintenance spouse. Come on. He is incomparable with his colleague Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands with his love for Ferrari and his wish that the chauffeur has always a bottle of Cuvée Louise Pommery Rosé available - on perfect temperature. Henrik's Dutch colleague would not hesistate to order the chaffeur to get the bottle if he is somewhere where -in his eyes- "inferior champagne" is served. The same counts for his favourite white wine: at Soestdijk Palace the white wine cellar was stuffed with Corton Charlemagne from Maison Louis Latour, the Prince's favourite Burgundy.

While Prince Henrik bought a neglected estate and turned it into a beautiful Château de Caÿx and a succesful vineyard, while he wrote poetry and music, was a maecenas to the arts and a faithful spouse to the Queen of Denmark as well a responsible and dutiful Pater Familias, his Dutch colleague bought yachts and speedboats to play in the Meditterranean, he had various affairs and extramarital children. These did cost a fortune as well since he bought for the mother and his youngest extramarital daughter a luxe appartment in the expensive 16th Arrondissement (Paris).

So Prince Henrik a "high maintenance spouse"... really... he was a model spouse, compared to many other royals, male or female!

:lol:

^^^^^^^^
i think there might be different definitions of "high maintenance" used in previous posts; if it means "costs a lot of money" (they way you talk about high maintenance of buildings" than indeed P.Bernhard seemed to be one of those

However following this definition Urban Dictionary: high maintenance
for high maintenance with regard to a person imo this is what applies to P.Henrik quite a lot (and much less to P.Bernhard)... it seems that it took a lot sometimes to make/keep P.Henrik happy and that didn't necessarily have to do with money

Last edited:
Yes, it might be a matter of definition. I've always thought "high maintenance" means "demanding and difficult to please" as much as, if not more, than "has expensive tastes and likes to spend a lot of money".

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^
i think there might be different definitions of "high maintenance" used in previous posts; if it means "costs a lot of money" (they way you talk about high maintenance of buildings" than indeed P.Bernhard seemed to be one of those

However following this definition Urban Dictionary: high maintenance
for high maintenance with regard to a person imo this is what applies to P.Henrik quite a lot (and much less to P.Bernhard)... it seems that it took a lot sometimes to make/keep P.Henrik happy and that didn't necessarily have to do with money

Yes, I do mean difficult to please. I was not thinking money at all.

The bottom line, with respect to everyone but as much as we can speculate, we don't know the answers. I have no doubt that they will come out in time.

Well, you may have a point in regards to PH being a high-cost spouse.

The Danish press is certainly keeping an eye on how doings these days. Very much in line with the feeling I get on the streets that PH was either:
A) Retired by QMII.
B) Or had another fit and retired himself. I.e. letting down QMII - again...

Because there simply is no precedent for officially retiring from the DRF unless it's very serious.

So the general sympathy for him is not that overwhelming.
- To quote an old colleague of mine: There is nothing that improves some people's health than being granted a disability pension.
PH better begin to show clear signs of being old and frail or senile within the next few months or the two above impressions will evolve into certainties.
If anyone is getting sympathy it's actually QMII.

Anyway, right now PH is in Naples, buying art for the collection.
Prins Henrik afsløret på Facebook: Her holder han ferie lige nu - Royale | www.bt.dk

Last edited:
In the footsteps of Juan Carlos retired and happy to his life :ermm: but i wonder it is healthy to do trips but not to accompany the Queen of her obligations :ermm:

So Prince Henrik a "high maintenance spouse"... really... he was a model spouse, compared to many other royals, male or female!

:lol:

I agree with those who think that he is high maintenance and not a model spouse. Bernhard is from a different area, I don't think whatever he did can't be compared to today's standards.

The reason why I believe that Henrik is 'high maintenance' is simply because at times he violated his duty and let the Queen down, publicly.
It is not easy to be the male spouse of a female monarch, I have no doubt that Prince Philip would sign this, but even though he had his well known gaffes, he never refused his duty or let QEII down publicly.
Can anyone imagine Philip leaving to Germany or any other country and QEII travelling to this place, persuading him to come back?
Always having to appease him, acknowleding who he is etc etc how tiresome for Margrethe and the family.

In the footsteps of Juan Carlos retired and happy to his life :ermm: but i wonder it is healthy to do trips but not to accompany the Queen of her obligations :ermm:

Juan Carlos is not retired, he receives a salary but works for the crown, attending events on a regular basis. So does Queen Sofia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always having to appease him, acknowleding who he is etc etc how tiresome for Margrethe and the family.

It can't be easy for Crown Prince Frederik, the next in line, in a situation like this....

BTW, stupid question: Who is really nr. 2 in Denmark (not succession)? Prince Henrik or Crown Prince Frederik?

Juan Carlos is not retired, he receives a salary but works for the crown, attending events on a regular basis. So does Queen Sofia.

Thank you for the correction though I should mention the Dolce Vita of Juan Carlos after his retirement from the throne :)

I think this is for the best for the danish royals, also for QMII herself. I have no doubts that she loves him very much and that he has been a fantastic support and advisor the her in private during all the years. We have to respect that. At the same time i suspect that she came to the realisation that her job will be less stressful without him and that they can have their time in private and thus she more or less retired him from the important events. Then she doesn't have to worry about him giving controversial interviews and doing the things they way he wants and not how it was planned. She also avoids a potential reprise of the 2002 situation where Henrik once again would be after Frederik in rank when she is not there or if she dies before Henrik. I don't think it was difficult to talk him into this.

Btw i was in Copenhagen over the new year weekend and ceöebrated with my danish friends there. On January 1 we watched the royals arrive to the nytårskur at Amalienborg. I asked them about This and they basically Said the same. They respect him for giving Denmark Frederik and Joachim and for making Margrethe happy but he is not popular among the danes and they will certanly not miss him.

Last edited:
It can't be easy for Crown Prince Frederik, the next in line, in a situation like this....

BTW, stupid question: Who is really nr. 2 in Denmark (not succession)? Prince Henrik or Crown Prince Frederik?

That must be Frederik since PH has officially retired, unless PH makes an appearance at an official event...

- But then he's still married to the Monarch, so he must remain number two regardless... Oh, my head!!:argh:

You do know to ask hard questions, Nordic. :confused:

I don't think PH can be compared to Juan Carlos, he retired so to speak for the good of the country and not least the SRF. He did the honorable thing.

:previous: You might very well be right, Hans-Rickard.
I wonder if it has dawned on PH yet that he has been "retired out"? :D

But we shall certainly miss him here on TRF!
Apart from being such a colorful character, he has provided us with basis for endless speculations and discussions. This thread alone could go on for years! :lol:

Last edited:
That must be Frederik since PH has officially retired, unless PH makes an appearance at an official event...

- But then he's still married to the Monarch, so he must remain number two regardless... Oh, my head!!:argh:

You do know to ask hard questions, Nordic. :confused:
Before the retirement then: Is the man/woman married to the regent always nr 2 or the one who is second in line (Frederik).

If QM is unable to attend the next new years banquet or some gala for an incoming state visit, who is hosting the event, PH or CPF?

I don't think PH can be compared to Juan Carlos, he retired so to speak for the good of the country and not least the SRF. He did the honorable thing.
I have a question in that respect - does PH still receive a salary, like Juan Carlos, and if so, do the Danes think that this ok although he doesnt work any longer?

But we shall certainly miss him here on TRF!
Apart from being such a colorful character, he has provided us with basis for endless speculations and discussions. This thread alone could go on for years! :lol:
I can't imagine that Henrik will vanish unter the radar, I think as soon as he starts living the sweet life the press will happily cover his activities.

Back
Top Bottom